Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CommonShore posted:

I would love some transliterations of strange Icelandic and Finnish sayings. I imagine that they're things like "that is not my fermented shark which is the one in the derby which worries the gentlemen in question" for "no thanks."

I know that he does not walk whole to the forrest but if he doesn't stop ripping his maw I'll show him where David bought the ale, I may not look like much but I don't call everything my grandmother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

doverhog posted:

Here's a few:

Parta ei kasva poikasille, eikä turpajouhet jouva joutaville.
A small boy cannot grow a beard, and neither can a useless man.

Paska reissu mutta tulipahan tehtyä.
It was a poo poo trip but still went there.

Elämä on laiffii
Life is life.

Kun ihminen nukkuu, sille ei tapahdu mitään. Mutta kun se ei nuku, se voi saada vaikka kalan.
When a person sleeps nothing happens to him. When they don't sleep they may be given a fish or something.

Tempaise niin että kusi lentää.
Put in so much effort you involuntarily piss all over the place.

Where is "Do not teach your father how to gently caress."?

doverhog posted:

Elämä on laiffii
Life is life.

la la la la la 

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CommonShore posted:

I would love some transliterations of strange Icelandic and Finnish sayings. I imagine that they're things like "that is not my fermented shark which is the one in the derby which worries the gentlemen in question" for "no thanks."

Tefla við páfann - "Play chess with the Pope"
Take a poo poo.

Þar stendur hnífurinn í kúnni - "The knife is stuck in the cow"
Something is at an impasse

Að koma eins og skrattinn úr sauðarleggnum - "Springing like the Devil from the sheep's leg"
When someone shows up suddenly and unexpectedly. References a folktale where the devil is fooled into shrinking down and squeezing himself into a sheep's legbone which is then sealed with a cork.

Kallar ekki allt ömmu sína - "doesn't call everything her grandmother"
To not care about insignificant things or to be generally fearless.

Áfram með smjörið! - "On with the butter!"
Let's get on with it.

Ég skal sýna honum hvar Davíð keypti ölið - "I'll how him where David bought the ale"
I will viciously beat him.

Farðu norður og niður - "Go north and down"
gently caress off.

Ég skal finna þig í fjöru - "I'll find you on the shore"
I will hunt you down.

Ég mun koma þér fyrir kattarnef - "I'll put you in front of a cat's nose"
I will murder you.

Aldrei migið í saltan sjó "Never pissed in the salty sea"

Used to refer to someone naive and inexperienced especially when it comes to work. Especially when someone has never worked as a fisherman.

Detti mér allar dauðar lýs úr höfði! "May all the dead lice fall from my head!"
An expression of shock

Þetta er ekki upp á marga fiska - "[Something] is not worth many fishes"
When something is worthless or at best mediocre.

Ég kem af fjöllum - "I come from the mountains."
Basically "I have no idea what you're talking about"

Kaupa köttinn í seknum - "Buying the cat in the sack"
Specifically to buy something without first seeing it and it not being worth the purchase. Can also be used more generally if you're swindled.

Það er maðkur í mysunni - "There's a maggot in the whey"

Something is suspicious.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ekki alveg með fulle fem

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Morally Inept rereg spotted.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Randaconda posted:

Gonna stine your pitty on the runny kine

Wada tah, tipi tai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Balder posted:

-" Ingen blir en bra läkare innan han/hon har fyllt en kyrkogård.": Nobody becomes a good doctor before filling up a cemetary. Practice makes perfect and it is normal to fail now and then.

Iceland has a similar saying "Enginn verður óbarinn biskup" or "No one becomes a bishop without being beaten.". Meaning that if you want to get far in life you will need to work hard and face much hardship.

It is possible this has some roots in the saga of Guðmundur "The Good" Arason, who was bishop during the civil war of the 13th century and considered a saint by many though his sainthood was never recognized by the Papacy. According to the saga Guðmundur was born a bastard and his father died when he was young so he was raised by his very strict and zealous uncle who would beat him mercilessly if he didn't focus on his studies.

It is also possible that the Icelandic bishops used to have some really brutal street gang style imitation rituals.

Danish has a similar saying "tugt og lære giver brød og ære" or "Beatings and learning bring you bread and honour".

• Locked thread