Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FourLeaf posted:

Though everyone should be aware that in the "Obama" SOTU market, "a compound word consisting in part of such name (such as "Obamacare" or "Obamanomics") will not qualify." Which makes NO very underpriced imho.

:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I totally turned that six bucks into, like, nine bucks on that bet.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I totally turned that six bucks into, like, nine bucks on that bet.

nice

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
there's a market for betting on trump's SOTU ratings, pegged to nielsen

nielsen says 40.4 million watched but "42.4 million or fewer" plunged today. PI seems to think the final numbers when they come in tonight will be slightly higher. but :shrug:

ah. 46 mil.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Jan 31, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nielsen says 40.4 million watched but "42.4 million or fewer" plunged today. PI seems to think the final numbers when they come in tonight will be slightly higher. but :shrug:

ah. 46 mil.

If I recall correctly Nielsen changes how/where they source their numbers pretty frequently so prior figures aren't always apples-to-apples. The smart money accounts for precisely which stations are being included etc.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ah. 46 mil.

made about 6k on that market

when the 40.4 number came out, the price for under 42.5 spiked up to 90 and stayed there for a bit

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
arkane, jesus

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So the fed chair market.

quote:

The individual named in the question shall be Chair of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System at 11:59:59 p.m. (ET) on February 4, 2018, with such individual having been confirmed to that position by the U.S. Senate and assumed the office.

An individual serving as acting chair at the date and time in question will not be sufficient to cause a question naming that individual to resolve as Yes.
Jerome Powell has been confirmed and is taking office on Saturday, Feb. 3, according to the Fed.

quote:

The Federal Open Market Committee, at its annual organizational meeting this week, unanimously selected Jerome H. Powell to serve as its Chairman, effective February 3, 2018. He is scheduled to be sworn in as Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System on the next business day at approximately 9 a.m. EST February 5.
The swearing-in ceremony appears (?) to me to be a formality, but it has caused enough confusion to make Powell/YES trade at 13 cents. The PI gamblers seem to think the market is just going to default because there will be no Fed chairman on midnight, Feb. 4, because he won't be sworn in yet. Some even seem to be under the assumption that the Senate hasn't confirmed him yet. The Senate confirmed him months ago.

Am I crazy or should this market be 99 cents for Powell / Yes?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

you’re out of ya head

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Seems like it'd be easy for PredictIt to say he's not official before the swearing in. You're betting on a market ruling here, which is always an iffy proposition.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's the weird thing. He'll be the chair of the FOMC, but to serve as the chair of the FOMC means you're the chair of the Board of Governors! But that's before his swearing in on that!

It's madness!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Today, President Donald J. Trump nominated Jerome H. Powell of Maryland to be Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for a term of four years beginning February 3, 2018.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20180131c.htm
:thunk:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Seems like it'd be easy for PredictIt to say he's not official before the swearing in. You're betting on a market ruling here, which is always an iffy proposition.
This is still what it comes down to.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

you're confusing things. that quote and that link do not match

from the fed's link:

"The Federal Open Market Committee, at its annual organizational meeting this week, unanimously selected Jerome H. Powell to serve as its Chairman, effective February 3, 2018. He is scheduled to be sworn in as Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System on the next business day at approximately 9 a.m. EST February 5."

from the rules:

The individual named in the question shall be Chair of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System at 11:59:59 p.m. (ET) on February 4, 2018, with such individual having been confirmed to that position by the U.S. Senate and assumed the office.

it's pretty clear. basically, yellen's term ends saturday night. at that point, the fed will not have a chair of the board of governors. there will be an acting chair, i believe powell. but, again, per the rules:

An individual serving as acting chair at the date and time in question will not be sufficient to cause a question naming that individual to resolve as Yes.

only way this resolves yes is if someone swears him in sunday, which ain't happening.

abelwingnut has issued a correction as of 04:57 on Feb 2, 2018

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

Yeah that's the weird thing. He'll be the chair of the FOMC, but to serve as the chair of the FOMC means you're the chair of the Board of Governors! But that's before his swearing in on that!

It's madness!

Free advice: you are wrong about this. If you're holding long, I wouldn't. The reasons why have been debated ad nauseum, but suffice it to say the short holders are correct and I am max short Powell.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Shutdown volume 2 is warming up a little

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So the fed chair market.

Jerome Powell has been confirmed and is taking office on Saturday, Feb. 3, according to the Fed.

The swearing-in ceremony appears (?) to me to be a formality, but it has caused enough confusion to make Powell/YES trade at 13 cents. The PI gamblers seem to think the market is just going to default because there will be no Fed chairman on midnight, Feb. 4, because he won't be sworn in yet. Some even seem to be under the assumption that the Senate hasn't confirmed him yet. The Senate confirmed him months ago.

Am I crazy or should this market be 99 cents for Powell / Yes?
How did this work out for you btw? I wasn't watching the market when it closed.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

bawfuls posted:

All the markets resolved to No

vvv I lost six!

theres a will theres moe has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Feb 7, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bawfuls posted:

I lost three bucks on it. :argh:

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Made money last shutdown because PI decided YES even though their rules were dumb.

This time they made the rules even stupider, so I think I made a bad bet hoping they'd honor a shutdown regardless of official number of furloughed employees.

Not sure why their rules are tied to specific numbers of employees vs "was a bill passed by 2/18 at X:XX" or something. The employee numbers aren't always released and their are political reasons to juke those numbers in either direction.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Well they added the OPM.gov stipulation, but it's that and/or the 200,000 people bit.

Markets closing in odd ways based on weird/dumb PredictIt rules is a time honored tradition. Didn't the Paris Climate Accords market resolve as "no, US didn't withdraw" even though for all practical purposes that's not what happened?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Vishass posted:

Made money last shutdown because PI decided YES even though their rules were dumb.

This time they made the rules even stupider, so I think I made a bad bet hoping they'd honor a shutdown regardless of official number of furloughed employees.

Not sure why their rules are tied to specific numbers of employees vs "was a bill passed by 2/18 at X:XX" or something. The employee numbers aren't always released and their are political reasons to juke those numbers in either direction.

Makes for a fun market in the meantime, though!

bawfuls posted:

Well they added the OPM.gov stipulation, but it's that and/or the 200,000 people bit.

Markets closing in odd ways based on weird/dumb PredictIt rules is a time honored tradition. Didn't the Paris Climate Accords market resolve as "no, US didn't withdraw" even though for all practical purposes that's not what happened?

The OPM.gov only specifies a case in which the market would resolve "yes". It doesn't say anything about resolving as "no", so it falls to counting the number of furloughed workers.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

anecdotally I have two relatives in non essential government who aren’t sure if they were furloughed but their offices were closed this morning to avoid confusion (like closing for anticipated snow) so I’m under the impression in spirit I’m right but the PI reality is probably a coin flip regardless of what that website does

AAAAAAAAAAAAh
Feb 19, 2018

by zen death robot
ahgsfrdewe

Somebody has issued a correction as of 05:41 on Feb 19, 2018

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

and here i was excited for some new Predictions, but no.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
fun past 24 hours between tillerson and lamb

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
I figured there was a more nefarious reason the last thread got closed and never realized this one was here. But that's as ancient news as the very profitable Catalonian election which was the last thing going on I recall before the last thread was locked. In recent times, It was an agonizing 13 some odd days waiting for those Arizona Special election MOV markets to close.

When are we going to get the market for "Will Michigan pass recreational marihuana (do any other states legally spell it like that?) in 2018?"

Merlot Brougham has issued a correction as of 04:06 on May 12, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Merlot Brougham posted:

I figured there was a more nefarious reason the last thread got closed and never realized this one was here. But that's as ancient news as the very profitable Catalonian election which was the last thing going on I recall before the last thread was locked. In recent times, It was an agonizing 13 some odd days waiting for those Arizona Special election MOV markets to close.

When are we going to get the market for "Will Michigan pass recreational marihuana (do any other states legally spell it like that?) in 2018?"

Nah the last thread got haunted so we had to close it and make this one. Hence the title

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Hope everyone loaded up on the PA-05 primary.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm all in on the Mexican elections babeeeee

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i turned 100 bucks into 250 bucks on doug jones and put that all on AMLO when he was at like 40 cents. free money is good

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
my brother from the other room: "are you betting on mexican elections again!?"

uhh... maybe

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I'm all in on the Mexican elections babeeeee

What you got? AMLO takes it unless Meade drops out.
EDIT for more context: I have seen some reports saying that one of the two right-wingers, Anaya or Meade, will drop out. I think it'd have to be Meade, to coalesce a blocking vote against AMLO. I should have bought AMLO early, and I regret flipping my Meade shorts so cheap - I thought Anaya might drop out, but no way at this point.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I bought a bunch of AMLO.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

Let's go anyone but Duque in Colombia!

I think the market is undervaluing a) the chance of a runoff election and b) the chance that second place will go to someone that isn't Petro.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The next Italian PM market has been chaotically great, as has the on-again-off-again Korean summit. Fun month of PI!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This market seems ripe for opportunity (CA-49th).

This is Issa's district, where in 2016 he barely beat out retired Dem Marine Colonel (plays big here) Applegate. Now Applegate is trying to finish the job, but there's two other Dems in the jungle primary (Levin from OC and Jacobs as the Berniecrat), along with the two Rs Harkey and Chavez.

This race is way too unpredictable and wide open to give anyone a price near 75c as Harkey has right now. Election is tomorrow and in the past 2 weeks polling has been all over the place.

The district spans parts of northern SD county and southern Orange County. In 2016 the SD portion went for Applegate while the OC portion carried Issa to a squeaker of a win. Harkey and Levin are both OC candidates, while Applegate is from SD.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

bawfuls posted:

This market seems ripe for opportunity (CA-49th).

This is Issa's district, where in 2016 he barely beat out retired Dem Marine Colonel (plays big here) Applegate. Now Applegate is trying to finish the job, but there's two other Dems in the jungle primary (Levin from OC and Jacobs as the Berniecrat), along with the two Rs Harkey and Chavez.

This race is way too unpredictable and wide open to give anyone a price near 75c as Harkey has right now. Election is tomorrow and in the past 2 weeks polling has been all over the place.

The district spans parts of northern SD county and southern Orange County. In 2016 the SD portion went for Applegate while the OC portion carried Issa to a squeaker of a win. Harkey and Levin are both OC candidates, while Applegate is from SD.

Many of these congressional primary races would be great options to make a quick or two. One or two crappy polls in a poorly understood race means it's basically a giant question mark, especially in this environment.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Actually, PI seems to be missing a bunch of the good CA races. Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah they don't even have a CA Senate market. DiFi will win the primary of course but the second/third place is interesting, and they have a second place market for the Governor's race.

• Locked thread