Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twenty Four

alnilam posted:

let's talk atoms

Atoms - you love em, you hate em, you can't live without em. Atoms probably exist, though they're mostly seen as a useful tool for accounting for mass in chemical reactions.

current understanding
Generally speaking, experiments suggest that they are neutrally charged, yet they contain electrons, which are negatively charged. So what the heck?? :confused:
J J Thompson is our guy here. He has shown that the atom looks like what he calls "plum pudding" (yum lol) with a positively charged soup in which a certain number of electrons (the characteristic "atomic number" of the atom in fact!) are floating, with enough positive charge in the soup or pudding (gettin hungry over here lol) to balance out the electrons.

So, what are your thoughts on atomic theory?

-----------------------------------------

Space reserved

I try to stay positive despite what life throws at me. Am I causing an atomic problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread