Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Damo posted:

OK obvious troll attempt name me a band who is supremely better than the beatles at the time of help or rubber soul. I say supremely since the beatles were trash, so bottom tier right.

the answer is right in your question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carmant posted:

Interesting how all of their solo albums were complete poo poo. Almost like there was someone else behind the scenes doing all the work or something.

Interesting how all your solo posts are complete poo poo.

Maybe you should find 3 other poo poo posters and see if the sum of your whole is greater than your parts.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Carmant posted:

Interesting how all of their solo albums were complete poo poo. Almost like there was someone else behind the scenes doing all the work or something.

"complete poo poo" is a slight overstatement, but you have a point

I think it's less that there was someone making it great (although the argument can be made), and more about Paul and John being total assholes to each other and both of them being assholes to George, so generally mediocre ideas were left on the studio floor

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

ProperCoochie posted:

Both are great, but Help has a lot of songs in the key of A, so I believe it pacifies the listener's ears a bit

here, check this out,

i like that you can tell from this, even if you've never listened to the beatles, that revolver and sgt pepper are the best albums

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Seaniqua posted:

Revolver is my favorite The Beatles album

Mine also.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Carmant posted:

All things must pass.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I think that Help was tied into the release and production of the accompanying movie so i would assume that a lot of the songs were around for longer than usual due to the time delay involved making the movie. I.e the songs were done before the movie was filmed.

Also i saw an interview where one of them said that during the filming of help they were bored as gently caress during scenes so they smoked a poo poo load of pot to pass the time.

So in conclusion it may seem like a short period but a few months making a lovely movie distorts the time line between releases.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

von Braun posted:

lol without brian wilson the beatles would have not been as good

these are not mutually exclusive ideas

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Rubellavator posted:

All things must pass.

Is ok but not great.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
the beatles were ridiculously good

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Dave Concepcion posted:

the beatles were ridiculously good

not really.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

cda posted:

not really.

thanks for your contrarian hot take

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Every Beatles album has garbage in it. There's not a single Beatles album that's solid from beginning to end. And the good songs they have are kind of incoherent. They didn't have a voice or a perspective really. McCartney came the closest but he was a maudlin Nice Guy gently caress so who wants to listen to that dribble. And many of their bad songs are atrociously bad. Like, way worse than normal bad.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I'm not trying to say the Beatles were a bad band. They were totally a good professional band. Very respectable. Some great songs. But "ridiculously good." No.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I mean, you realize James loving Brown was alive and working at the same time as the Beatles, yes? Marvin Gaye. The Supremes. Miles Davis. Nina Simone. Otis Redding. Jimi Hendrix. Joan Baez. Get the gently caress outta here with that "ridiculously good" bullshit.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Who is your favorite band and why

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
:gary:

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

cda posted:

I mean, you realize James loving Brown was alive and working at the same time as the Beatles, yes? Marvin Gaye. The Supremes. Miles Davis. Nina Simone. Otis Redding. Jimi Hendrix. Joan Baez. Get the gently caress outta here with that "ridiculously good" bullshit.

All these were also fantastic but not the same genre at all. Who of the beatles' pop music contemporaries were better than them?

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Dave Concepcion posted:

All these were also fantastic but not the same genre at all. Who of the beatles' pop music contemporaries were better than them?

Motown was pop. What are you talking about.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

ProperCoochie posted:

Both are great, but Help has a lot of songs in the key of A, so I believe it pacifies the listener's ears a bit

here, check this out,

Waltzing Along posted:

This is a great video/explanation/analysis of the beatles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQS91wVdvYc

They were better than Radiohead.

this is real cool

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Plus, Help! had... Help. The Night Before, and You've Got to Hide Your Love Away. All great songs.

the night before is really underappreciated

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

cda posted:

Motown was pop. What are you talking about.

It's soul pop and is considered it's own genre, don't be obtuse.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Bodyholes posted:

i like that you can tell from this, even if you've never listened to the beatles, that revolver and sgt pepper are the best albums

I don't know man. Cumulative Total looks like it must have been a killer album.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
I think there's something fundamentally wrong with anyone who hates the Beatles. Also, "Rubber Soul" had some sitar and pump organ on it.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Harakiri Potter posted:

I think there's something fundamentally wrong with anyone who hates the Beatles. Also, "Rubber Soul" had some sitar and pump organ on it.

I've never met a musician who actively dislikes the beatles

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Dave Concepcion posted:

I've never met a musician who actively dislikes the beatles

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved. In a sense, the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention paid to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply highlight what product the music business wants to make money from. Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. At such a time, rock critics will study their rock history and understand which artists accomplished which musical feat, and which simply exploited it commercially. Beatles' "Aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll. It replaced syncopated African rhythm with linear Western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles. Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for good reason. They could never figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). That phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavours to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the 'Fab Four'. And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of entire operas such as "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia"; not to mention the far greater British musicians who followed them in subsequent decades or the US musicians themselves who initially spearheaded what the Beatles merely later repackaged to the masses.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Carmant posted:

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved. In a sense, the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention paid to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply highlight what product the music business wants to make money from. Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles. At such a time, rock critics will study their rock history and understand which artists accomplished which musical feat, and which simply exploited it commercially. Beatles' "Aryan" music removed any trace of black music from rock and roll. It replaced syncopated African rhythm with linear Western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid smiles. Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for good reason. They could never figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own. They knew that the Beatles were simply lucky to become a folk phenomenon (thanks to "Beatlemania", which had nothing to do with their musical merits). That phenomenon kept alive interest in their (mediocre) musical endeavours to this day. Nothing else grants the Beatles more attention than, say, the Kinks or the Rolling Stones. There was nothing intrinsically better in the Beatles' music. Ray Davies of the Kinks was certainly a far better songwriter than Lennon & McCartney. The Stones were certainly much more skilled musicians than the 'Fab Four'. And Pete Townshend was a far more accomplished composer, capable of entire operas such as "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia"; not to mention the far greater British musicians who followed them in subsequent decades or the US musicians themselves who initially spearheaded what the Beatles merely later repackaged to the masses.

Source your quotes

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
regardless of your copy-paste, I've still never met a musician who actively dislikes the beatles, and I know quite a few

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
townshend was really good and the beatles really were part manufactured product but they still made good stuff and deserve their place as one of the ebst bands in hitory

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
nah help rules too the beatles just rule gently caress artsy fartsy purity tests imho

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Silver Apples were better

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone who poo poo talks Brian Wilson gets the death penalty in my caliphate

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

walgreenslatino posted:

dude was legit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPcPkc6KD7k

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Pet Sounds is better than Sgt Pepper's

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
So farewell then, once OK thread.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

walgreenslatino posted:

:hfive:

Seaniqua posted:

Pet Sounds is better than Sgt Pepper's

:hfive:

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I take Revolver as my personal favorite but rubber soul & sgt pepper's are close up there too. All their albums are at least decent. A Hard Days Night is IMO the best "early beatles" and Revolver is the best "late beatles" if that makes sense.

because I grew up by Chicago, they will always be the soundtrack to sunday morning eggs & pancakes to me.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Les Os posted:

Silver Apples were better

Lol never expected a Silver Apples reference in a Beatles thread. They are hella good though.

To answer your question OP, I believe Help was the album where the Beatles were tiring out of being the biggest pop band in the world and wanted to explore different areas of music. I think their singles were beginning to drastically change around this time as well (I think Paperback Writer and Day Tripper were coming out around this time?).

Rubber Soul wasn’t as huge of a leap as Revolver would be. Yeah there were some unique songs (Norwegian Wood really comes to mind), but you had songs that would sound at home on early Beatles albums as well. And yeah, drugs and Bob Dylan are also probably involved.

Lol at the poster saying the Doors though. The first album is great but the rest of their stuff sucks until LA Woman. And then Morrisson died.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I hate LA woman too. They burnt out so fast pffft. GONE

I think the Beatles were the greatest band thus far, and it is amazing because they were forerunners, at the beginning of rock/ created it whatever
So drat early to be the best

It's strange

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Dave Concepcion posted:

regardless of your copy-paste, I've still never met a musician who actively dislikes the beatles, and I know quite a few

I've never met anyone who actively listens to the beatles either aside from one dweeby college music professor I had. He even made us sign a piece of paper that said the beatles were the greatest band of all time and if we didnt we would fail the class lol. Maybe thats why I dont like them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Henry Ford Jr pushed beatlemania in America to keep white youths away from negro music which he thought was a Jewish conspiracy

Beatles are insanely overrated and were from start to finish manufactured and packaged for bland dumbasses and John Lennon was an avowed racist

• Locked thread