Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

facebook jihad posted:

Best Rolling Stones album is Satanic Majesty痴 Request

Its Exile On Main Street. In fact thats the only truly great Rolling Stones album

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
It must've been awkward trying to work around John's violent misogyny.

"Hey guys, I wrote a song called 'Love is Wonderful,' doesn't that sound good?"

"Stupidest idea yet, Ringo. Okay, so the song we're doing is 'I'm Gonna Murder my Bitch Girlfriend,' followed by 'No Really, These Lyrics Aren't Ironic,' then 'Twelve Minutes of Domestic Abuse Featuring Me, John Winston Lennon' "

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Zorodius posted:

"Stupidest idea yet, Ringo. Okay, so the song we're doing is 'I'm Gonna Murder my Bitch Girlfriend,' followed by 'No Really, These Lyrics Aren't Ironic,' then 'Twelve Minutes of Domestic Abuse Featuring Me, John Winston Lennon' "

Yeah.. well david bowie hosed little girls

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

eta: sorry

I.C. fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 15, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I can listen to rubber soul and revolver all the way through and genuinely love every minute, but thats not the case for anything before or after where you have a few good songs mixed in with a lot of bad ones

e: actually past masters vol2 is great all the way through but thats not an album

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 15, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I can't remember enough of the specifics or the context, but someone speculated that The Beatles might not have become a pop culture phenomenon like they did if Richie Valens and Buddy Holly hadn't died, specifically Holly.

I believe their logic was that Buddy Holly seemed like he was moving towards some style in production, song writing, sound, etc. that could have diminished the impact of the Beatles in the early 60s had he not died.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Let It Be... Naked is way better than Let It Be.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

facebook jihad posted:

Best Rolling Stones album is Satanic Majesty’s Request

I, personally, like Some Girls

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Abbey Road is my favourite Beatles album apart from Maxwell's Silver Hammer which is a really lovely song. Like, Octopus' Garden is dumb but at least it's fun, MSH is just trash and Lennon correctly called it "Paul's granny music". Every other song, and the medley, are solid gold.

I also love Sgt Peppers apart from When I'm Sixty-Four. But I can forgive the shittiness of that song since McCartney wrote it when he was 16.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
you have to specify which release of the album. uk or us?

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
tbh idolising any past popular artist is dumb, it's really easy to overstate someone's influence when you weren't there

also, pink floyd? really? dull as gently caress mate

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Auritech posted:

I知 one of those weirdos who thinks the best band of the 60s was the Velvet Underground but as I get older I知 more ok with the Beatles

:same:

And I think everybody's being a bit hard on The Doors - there was at least one or two decent songs on each of their albums - but LA Women* is mostly poo poo. Fat drunken Morrison cosplaying an old black blues man, eccchh.

* Riders on the Storm is cool, though.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!

Auritech posted:

I知 one of those weirdos who thinks the best band of the 60s was the Velvet Underground but as I get older I知 more ok with the Beatles

Also I love Tomorrow Never Knows all day every day

I personally agree with you, my favorite music of that whole period was produced by the VU but that's not the point.

The reason why people bang on about the Beatles so much is not a 'this band is better than that' pointless argument, although internet dullards often make it so. The Beatles for better or for worse created such a varied catalogue of work that almost everyone you meet has a Beatles song(s) they like - could be It's All Too Much or Yesterday depending on taste. The same cannot be said for the VU or any other band or artist that has been mentioned here.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Zorodius posted:

Hey I think they wrote a newspaper article about you

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Zorodius posted:

lmao, poor Ringo

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bodyholes posted:

i like that you can tell from this, even if you've never listened to the beatles, that revolver and sgt pepper are the best albums

can i?

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

lol

hey cute girl- did you know john lennon beat his wife? did you know I think that's bad? 100% against wife beating over here; a controversial stance. do you wanna gently caress me yet?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Secular Humanist posted:

lol

hey cute girl- did you know john lennon beat his wife? did you know I think that's bad? 100% against wife beating over here; a controversial stance. do you wanna gently caress me yet?

It says to ignore your lovely posting so im not going to reply to this

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Please Please Me is really underrated if just for its raw energy and the fact it was recorded over a matter of hours.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Carmant posted:

It says to ignore your lovely posting so im not going to reply to this

well my av is a mere goof. i do in fact think nazis are bad as if that needed stating.

the quote however is from a thread where everyone was psychotically lusting for the literal murder of cops because some cops are bad. it's totally really healthy and good.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Zorodius posted:

Domestic abuse aside, Lennon was a poo poo lyricist. He had no concept of subtlety or metaphor.

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6frgnqTo1eM
Best explains the Beatles

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

Please Please Me is really underrated if just for its raw energy and the fact it was recorded over a matter of hours.

I'm not a big fan of the Beatles pre-Rubber Soul but Twist And Shout is a great tune just for how energetic it is. And that they recorded it last, and always performed it last, because John couldn't sing anything afterwards.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

macdonal hamborkles posted:

I personally agree with you, my favorite music of that whole period was produced by the VU but that's not the point.

The reason why people bang on about the Beatles so much is not a 'this band is better than that' pointless argument, although internet dullards often make it so. The Beatles for better or for worse created such a varied catalogue of work that almost everyone you meet has a Beatles song(s) they like - could be It's All Too Much or Yesterday depending on taste. The same cannot be said for the VU or any other band or artist that has been mentioned here.

I actually wasn't making an argument either way but I guess I'll say I get why the Beatles are important, they did two major things that still affect the music business: they treated an album/LP as more than just a collection of singles, and they explored the studio space as an instrument itself using stuff like multitracking, tape loops, and time stretching in ways that the pop mainstream hadn't heard before. The album thing is slowly being undone now though. (This also answers the question why Rubber Soul is so much better than Help!)

And I actually do know people who don't like the Beatles, don't like any of their songs, and couldn't name one out of a line up, and they're not indie edgelords, they just didn't grow up with them playing everywhere and their music doesn't resonate with them now because the studio tricks they pioneered are now standard fare for any producer, but I'll betcha the bands they do like have favorite Beatles songs.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
It's been kind of nice not making this about race, but I'll just say that there's prrrobably a significant racial dimension to this discussion, and especially claims like "everyone has a Beatles song they like" which you can think about on your own time, if you'd like to. Or not. I'm a post, not a cop.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!

cda posted:

It's been kind of nice not making this about race

low effort

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
I thought it was about the music, man

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

cda posted:

It's been kind of nice not making this about race, but I'll just say that there's prrrobably a significant racial dimension to this discussion, and especially claims like "everyone has a Beatles song they like" which you can think about on your own time, if you'd like to. Or not. I'm a post, not a cop.

that's exactly what a cop would say

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I mean I won't come out and say Ravi Shankar's collection is better than Norwegian Wood, but I'm not sure how Rubber Soul vs Help is a racially charged topic.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Help! Itself is a good song. One of their best

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Auritech posted:

I wouldn't say you're a weirdo, most serious music fans I know hold that opinion, myself included.

The Eno/Bowie/Lou Reed/Iggy Pop wave of albums in the 70s are my personal favorite subsection of 70s music.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

I really don't think any Beatles album could be classed as "underrated"

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

Chrpno posted:

I really don't think any Beatles album could be classed as "underrated"

Everyone forgets and underrates "Beatles for Sale" its one of my favorites from the early years.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
It's my favorite 8-bit Beatles record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC5K4RsJJJM

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

the beatles and brian wilson were pretty cool but the everly brothers were making absolute bangers like this in 1960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_fkzaAEbQg

not as impressed with the beatles and brian after seeing that

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

the black husserl posted:

the beatles and brian wilson were pretty cool but the everly brothers were making absolute bangers like this in 1960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_fkzaAEbQg

not as impressed with the beatles and brian after seeing that

The Beatles have explicitly stated they directly ripped off The Everly Brothers.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

His personal life isn't news to anyone, it's just off-putting when you're cruising through the Beatles catalog and come up on "Run for Your Life" or "Getting Better" or whatever and it's like, oh, right...

Though the horror/pop mix doesn't stop "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" from being one of their best songs.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a blight on what would otherwise be a perfect album.

And I normally like paul's 'granny songs'. Martha My dear, When I'm 64 and Obladi Oblada and others are all fun to listen to, but MSH is just...Idk there's something about it that rubs me the wrong way.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Away all Goats posted:

And I normally like paul's 'granny songs'. Martha My dear, When I'm 64 and Obladi Oblada and others are all fun to listen to, but MSH is just...Idk there's something about it that rubs me the wrong way.

Maybe I don't know how school works 'across the pond' but it always bothers me that he's majoring in medicine, but then his teacher makes him stay after class for goofing off? What kind of college is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Away all Goats posted:

The melody isn't the best or anything, but it's the sensible chuckle that does it, scoffing at that ne'er-do-well and his silver hammer like a mischievous puppy.

There are tons of songs with psychedelic imagery out there, but few of them have such perfect dream-logic narrative as "Maxwell."

• Locked thread