Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING posted:

THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT lovely POINTLESS PORTABLES

i seriously love this garbage so goddamn much. i posted a bunch in the gassed portable computer thread

paul allen funded this turd, which was utterly destroyed by netbooks. first shown in 2003, not released until 2007, and it cost two thousand loving earth dollars.

the oqo, which shaggar mentioned. vaporware for the longest time, they finally released it and i think got maybe 3 revisions out! the first version had this ridiculous "docking cable" shown below

the s-xgen handtop, by some company called seamless. i never heard of this thing until i was googling for pictures of hosed up portables. it's a loving inch thick windows mobile PDA with a flip-out folding keyboard, and according to an old article cost $1400. IT IS A PDA WITH A loving ETHERNET PORT JESUS CHRIST

im still rock hard for the 770/n800/n810, nokias weird linux tablet released during the early days of the iphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

still better than most modern android phones tbh

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

i owned both the 770 and the n800

in fact, i still have the n800 around somewhere. they were, by the standards of the time, surprisingly usable for browsing the web

i had the n800 and it really was solid at the time, and some hobbiest project ported webkit over a bit later so it kept up for a good stretch

they were clever machines, double layer resistive membranes so they could detect stylus vs touch inputs and show the right keyboard, a full software repo ui so linux anything could be installed and managed easily by average users, and a camera that swiveled so it could take (mediocre) front and back photos and do video calls

the screen was really nice fore the time, too, and by modern standards the form factor isnt too bad if a bit chunky

• Locked thread