Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I loving love these sorts of stupid ultra portable palmtop things

always totally pointless in design, better as a prop for a cyberpunk movie than anything else, and typically really expensive or even flat out vaporware

and as dumb as they are I always want one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lancemantis posted:

its a classic example of something dreamed about in scifi for decades, but when it finally comes into reality its pretty much immediately eclipsed by some other technology and in the end it turns out it never really mattered

exactly!!

but my idiot nerd-lizard-brain still screams GIMME!!! whenever I see something like this

if I had more money and less willpower my home would look little different from an electronics recycler

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT lovely POINTLESS PORTABLES

i seriously love this garbage so goddamn much. i posted a bunch in the gassed portable computer thread

paul allen funded this turd, which was utterly destroyed by netbooks. first shown in 2003, not released until 2007, and it cost two thousand loving earth dollars.

the oqo, which shaggar mentioned. vaporware for the longest time, they finally released it and i think got maybe 3 revisions out! the first version had this ridiculous "docking cable" shown below

the s-xgen handtop, by some company called seamless. i never heard of this thing until i was googling for pictures of hosed up portables. it's a loving inch thick windows mobile PDA with a flip-out folding keyboard, and according to an old article cost $1400. IT IS A PDA WITH A loving ETHERNET PORT JESUS CHRIST

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Tankakern posted:

i preordered this at launch, the last i heard it should ship in january

if you're serious and you actually get one you better post a review

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

infernal machines posted:

there was also the palm folio, which was basically a netbook looking terminal for your treo

the most baffling thing about the foleo was how it came out in 2007 yet had the exact styling of a business laptop from 1997.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

im still rock hard for the 770/n800/n810, nokias weird linux tablet released during the early days of the iphone

i think that's what i really love about some of this stuff, how it was all completely obliterated by the iphone, netbooks, and later the ipad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

i was preorder #51 in the first batch of Pandoras and was there on gp32x for the project's inception, ama

did you actually get one or was the pandora forever vaporware? tell me about double-fisting the dual SD slots

lol the "new" version or whatever still isn't out https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/ https://www.dragonbox.de/en/45-pyra

if it actually existed and didn't cost as much as a real goddamn laptop i'd probably get one

• Locked thread