Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Wish some one would just tell me if it's good or bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its neutral hth op

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the law is good i think. or maybe its Bad idk 🤔
we have been neutered by the thing and it either passed or didnt pass?? or maybe its reversal got passed??? so maybe something is happening. And maybe, it is not

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
is this the new pictures thread, since shaggar broke the last one?

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Net Neutrality is two words that start with 'n'. lots of pictures on imgur and posts on facebook have been generated by these two words.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
net neutrality is when you take some good net and some bad net and they neutralize each other. fcc wants to upset the balance due to corporate interests

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

net neutrality is cool and good. getting rid of it is dumb and bad

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
the removal gives netflix an excuse to raise their prices, and thats about the only aspect of it that will affect u. there are some good parts and some bad parts, and they just about even out, so its like whatever who cares what they pick. companies like the githubs and whoever else will lose some profits now, and thats why they were encouraging their users to fight The GOod Fight. and most of the users went along with it because they cant think for themselves and just agree with what hellogiggles and buzzfeed says.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

vaginal facsimile posted:

Wish some one would just tell me if it's good or bad

without net neutrality we are going back to the dark age of the internet aka 2014, but now neflix subscribers will need to pay an extra dollar every month

on the bright side everything else about the internet is being reset to 2014, so pewdiepie is popular again and you can get a lot of mileage out of luigi death stare, awkward seal, none of my business kermit, and ascii shrug

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Someone at my work was on slack in the All channel with like 300 people in it saying that "we need to consider how corporations feel" as well. Pretty good net neutrality argument right?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i seem to remember the internet existing prior to 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

shaggar is against net neutrality, so it's probably a good thing.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
net neutrality is a competition between google/facebook/netflix/other large online firms vs carriers on who gets to control and make the most profit from the internet

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I’m very concerned for the one service that consumes 30% of all internet traffic will now have to pay more for the infrastructure to support its business

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i also love how you can’t talk about net neut on Twitter without Twitter weighing in and giving their corporate opinion

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

it's where you can say nazis are okay on twitter and not get banned

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i also love how

same

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I’m very concerned for the one service that consumes 30% of all internet traffic will now have to pay more for the infrastructure to support its business

Haha yeah that's a funny thing a dumb idiot would say about new neutrality, you're right.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i wish theyd start throttling your posting already

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the nut in no nut november is short for neutrality

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
*Calls Comcast support*

Dang man, this really sucks, probably because there are too many rules about what an ISP can do.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

net neutrality is good

getting rid of it is bad

killing the rich and nationalizing their companies is extremely good

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
whoever wins... we lose

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
the fcc is not empowered to remove net neutrality, nor did they ever enforce it. hth.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i beleieve we have reached a verdict: it is unknown whether net nuetralify is good or if it is bad. all that we know is the consequences are substantial one way or maybe the other way (not sure]. i hope that clears thighs up, op

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Ludwig van Halen posted:

perhaps a system where they have to pay an "up the stream provider" to send their packets roughly in proportion to the amount of traffic they send could be put in place

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Net Neutrality is what's left over after the Tube Tax is extracted from your Gross Neutrality.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

muckswirler posted:

Net Neutrality is what's left over after the Tube Tax is extracted from your Gross Neutrality.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

pram posted:

i seem to remember the internet existing prior to 2015

Me don't

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it means the net is neither chaotic nor lawful, hth

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
net neutrality is a hippie telling you that you can't own pipes, man

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
net neutrality is someone at the next table asking if you're going to eat that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho posted:

net neutrality is a hippie telling you that you can't own pipes, man
By the way the hippie is wearing a three-piece suit like late stage Jerry Rubin

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
without net neutrality we cannot have nut neutrality

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Can't wait for ATT to decide it wants to build it's own video streaming service and stop offering youtube and netflix to customers.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

poemdexter posted:

Can't wait for ATT to decide it wants to build it's own video streaming service and stop offering youtube and netflix to customers.

they already meter your internet unless you subscribe to a video service they own like u-verse iptv or directv with the actual dish (directv now doesn't count even though they own it). otherwise you either need to pay $30 extra per month or subscribe to their gigabit fiber tier to get unmetered service.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
net neutrality is uncle pennybags leading a childrens choir in a chorus of howls with a data invoice sticking out of his pocket

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

the fcc is not empowered to remove net neutrality, nor did they ever enforce it. hth.
hey fishmech do u work in network infrastructure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

net neutrality is a miniscule piece of legislation with a likely positive intent, though existing on the wrong level, as it should be part of some more overriding principle

it is notable only because it is a vehicle for privileged white kids to demonstrate that they actually care about politics, just not anything actually important

i.e; ignoring their countrymen getting shot by police for no reason would be a bit hollow if they can't simultaneously demonstrate that it is not that they are generally incapable of political expression, it is just less important to them than what tv shows they can stream next season

• Locked thread