Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Svc match of the millennium
G5F5

It is so loving sick
Im in awe this is on a handheld from the 90s

It has more content than any fighter ive ever played.

1v1,2v2 tag, 3v3 kof style, 6 minigames to unlock secret moves, dozens of characters etc

Also gief on this thumb stick is a beast.

If you have like 60-80 bucks lying around get an old beat up ngpc and this game pronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Soulcaliber 2: hd online
G4f4

Oldy but still fun

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Looking forward to SC6 because it looks like it's goin back to the days of Soul Cal 1-3.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kirby star allies
G3f4

Robobot was a stronger game. The coop is good in allies but it introduces too many weird commands so when you come to a new power you have many different ways to accomplish absorbing or recruiting it and it just feels clunky and slows down the game

The endgame boss rush modes are much better cause it locks you as one type and you dont need to worry about it

The campaign levels are pretty tepid imo compared to previous games but i had fun

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What Remains of Edith Finch

I had a quiet morning last weekend so I finally got around to playing this game. After finishing it in about two hours and having a couple days to reflect upon it, I think I was disappointed with the overall narrative based upon how many accolades it has received over the past year. This frustrates me because I recognize certain segments of great impact and beauty, such as the entire cannery sequence with Lewis or the inventive storytelling of Barbara's chapter. But I think too many stories feel rushed, sometimes essentially being no more than a two-minute text crawl and brief cinematic before another Finch meets their untimely end and you're on to find the next dead sucker.

I feel as if the game is too short for the kind of emotional payoff it is going for. It's a narrative that asks us to celebrate in the appreciation and fragility of life, yet its persistent and laserlike focus on this comically unfortunate family's moments of death undercut what's clearly intended to be this uplifting message, almost to the point of parody. We barely get to know much of anything about these characters, how they lived, what they thought, before their moment of demise. What Remains forgets that in order to develop an emotional connection with its characters, the audience needs room to breathe, to absorb all their desires, idiosyncracies and faults, and see a piece of their own humanity within them. Gone Home's creepy residential setting felt lived-in and believable. In What Remains it feels like an illogical funhouse that stretches the limits of how people could live.

I would have enjoyed the game more if they reduced the family member stories by about half and put as much care and attention into the interplay between gameplay and story as they did with the brilliant and affecting Lewis scene. While I don't usually like making direct comparisons, I feel as if Tacoma made better use of setup and payoff to deliver a satisfying emotional conclusion of the noteworthy walky sim games released in 2017.

Overall: Recommend, with reservations.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 27, 2018

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Yakuza 3

G3F5

Combat is great, but it's bogged down by its slow pacing and some of the most boring substories in the series. Story is good, though, with some great emotional moments and a lot of great characters never seen in a Yakuza game before.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Life is Strange Before the Storm:

G4F4

Despite featuring a new dev team and voice cast (aside from a bonus episode that is) it was a worthy successor to the original and a good example of a prequel done right, with the new plot additions adding more depth to the first game's story. While not as involved as the original and a bit slow to start the overall plot still works well for what it is. Even the new voice cast does a decent job for the most part (my only real issue is with Samuel's replacement but he only appears once and talking to him is optional anyway). It feels overall like your choices actually matter a bit more in this one and it does some interesting things with the formula such as playing D&D and acting in a play. Like the original it has an excellent middle and a somewhat disappointing finale but is overall a pretty enjoyable experience and a lot of the more annoying aspects of the first Life is Strange are gone.

My only real complaints are that there is never any real punishment for failure and the Backtalk mechanic is never really utilized as well as it could have been (not to mention the fact that there are only a handful of times in the entire game where you actually have to use it). Also, the world feels a lot smaller than the first game with more compact areas and very few NPCs to interact with.

Night in the Woods

G5F4

Excellent game with a charming setting and colorful characters. Even though aspects of the the story have been done before it handles them just as well if not better than a lot of other games/media I've seen. Only real issues I see are that wandering around town can get a bit tedious (some sort of fast travel system might have been nice), the dream sequences are kind of repetitive aside from the ones at the beginning and end and I wasn't too fond of some of the minigames (such as the band sequences and a few puzzles on Gregg's side of the story).

Kirby Star Allies

G4F3

While Planet Robobot is still the better game this was still a pretty good effort. The helpers were actually useful and I liked most of the new powers. However it's also pretty short even by Kirby standards, most of the bosses can be beaten through sheer attrition, the ability mixing mechanic is nowhere near as in depth as Kirby 64 was and there honestly isn't much replay value after you're done aside from the Helper To Hero esque game that unlocks after completing the main campaign.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 6, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ninokuni2
G2F2

Shallow action jrpg with a nice visual style.
Combat is a simplistic mishmosh of ideas that is both too easy and too frustrating thanks to attack animations being sluggish and preventing you from dodging or blocking a lot of the time.
all the secondary modes are unfun mobile game tier trash like they dont even let you build your city your way and the skirmishes are just a clusterfuck
Story is bare bones
Hard progression gates stop gameplay between each third of the game unless you are diligent about side quests.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Steamworld Dig 2
G4F4

Some of the mechanics felt a little superfluous because the game was pretty easy but it’s one of the best out there. The art and music is excellent.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Disgaea 5 - G3F2.5

I enjoy SRPGs, so I this was one of the first games that I bought when I bought my PS4 2 years ago. The Disgaea series is notorious for scaling to obscene numbers in every stat. That said, the story does not typically require grinding; the big numbers are purely optional. I last tried to play Disgaea 2 around release a decade or more ago and remembered thinking it was decent.

The game has a lot of systems interweaving together. You can mostly ignore them, but it does throw a lot at you. I opted to just play through the main story and DLC. I hit a wall of boredom about half of the way through the game a year ago, and recently wanted to clear it off my backlog. The maps were large and spawling and just tedious honestly. One of the mechanics in the game is the ability to add special effects to spaces with which you can interact. Most maps have a single gimmick either revolving around those or just having the enemies spread out all over the map in spots that are difficult to reach. Add also that there were about 80 of them, 104 if you count the DLC. To avoid the tedium, I checked out a speedrunning guide, grinded a main character or two up to the point where I could loosely implement some of those ideas, and just powered through the game. The maps never really got better and the story just drug on and on without much substance in order to satisfy the 5 battles per chapter quota. I would have rather they cut out like 6 chapters worth of battles and made them tighter. Last complaint revolves around the really bad character design. The difference between this and Fire Emblem Echoes (I am also currently playing) is stark.

I am looking to finish Fire Emblem Echoes next, and then onto either the Zelda DLC or Kirby Star Allies.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sid meier's pirates! Live the life (xbox version)
G5f5

Pirates is a very very ambitious game. It is an edutainment rpg, minigame-collection, navel combat and life simulator, turn based tactics, stealth, rhythm, qte-fest, and treaure hunting game.

Individually each of its parts is very basic. Some are rather flawed and doing them again and again gets old if you dont break it up, but taken as a whole the game is a masterpiece. You live out the ups and downs of your pirates life until you hang up your sword and retire. You reunite your family, marry, climb the pirate wanted list, and search for tools and remedies to ward off the ravages of time on your aging body. You survive mutiny, stranding, capture, etc and alway get a chance to bounce back.

Games a triumph and when you win you get to unlock vids of shabby devs play fighting around the break room for reference material

The og xbox version is very solid. Maybe not as nice as the pc version i played 13 years ago but i cant say for sure. I remember the stealth mechanics to play better but it was long long ago.

Get this game.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Real hurthling! posted:

Sid meier's pirates! Live the life (xbox version)
G5f5

Get this game.

Oh man, I have the steam version basically always installed because nothing quite hits the itch of this game quite like it. A lot of the systems are pretty simple and aren't amazingly difficult, but all together it's a fantastic package that is endlessly compelling.

Plus you can do some weird rear end minor alternate history by forcing the Spanish out of the Spanish main or making the Dutch the heavy in the Caribbean. It's so great. Everyone should play it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I love that game as long my ability to tolerate sailing west allows.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tack

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I'm riding a DQ high right now.

Dragon Quest IV
Fell in love with this one. Still don't know why exactly, I don't even like JRPGs that much. I loved the framing of the story, the characters are fun, the monsters are fun. It's wacky but also kinda heavy in a way. I love the simplicity of it all. I'll be replaying this on mobile shortly, as the DS version doesn't have orchestral music or party chat.

Dragon Quest V
It is even better than IV story-wise but it does meander at times. It's absolutely grindier and weaker at hinting what to do next but the game itself is. just. so. good. Pokemon took all of its stuff from DQ5. Incredible stuff for 1992.

I'm only 6 hours in on those two:
Dragon Quest VII
Tries to do way too much at the same time. There are two worlds now! There's time travel! You are a ghost but not really! You've got amnesia! You're a prince maybe! There's a class system (didn't get to that)! Really unfocused but still fun, especially on mobile. There's way too many random battles now but you actually need that to level up your classes apparently. I can just grind up my guys during my work downtime. The story's still bonkers and I have no idea what's going on.

Dragon Quest VIII
Does away with all the simplicity and directness of IV and V and does the same thing as VI but sloooooooooower. Talk to this guy, now talk to that guy, now talk to the first guy again. Guess which of these animals is actually a woman in disguise. Find some puzzle pieces. Assemble the pieces in a special room. Go to an island, learn its story. Fight some monsters maybe. Leave the island and travel in time. Then visit the same island again and learn the next part of its story. Repeat. There's a class system here too, but I still didn't get to that part.

Ratings:
LOVE: 4 and 5
LIKE: 6 and 7

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 5, 2018

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I've beaten the original 200 levels, so I'm calling the game beaten.

Family Guy: Not Another Phone Game. G2F4

Pros:
No Ads at all.
Fun Gameplay and writing similar to the show

Cons:
Game is hysterically bugging, boss fights routinely bug out never spawning the boss. Which turns out the boss fights are tied to boss animations, so if the boss fight starts with no boss you've essentially won. Also if the game hangs long enough on the fail screen the game just kicks you to the next level.

Dancing Line. G5F5

I literally cannot stop playing this.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

games i have played real quick:

Dishonored 2 Death of the Outsider: G3F3
Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus: G3F2
Dark Souls old XB360 vanilla edition: G3F5
Agatha Christie's The ABC Murders: G4F3

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Zone of the Enders (PS2) G4F5
I loving love this game and it makes me sad to see that so few other people like it. It's got that layer of unintentional early 2000s/Kojima cheese while still being a fun game overall. Not super long either, with my run clocking in at 4 hours. Here's to waiting for that 2nd Runner HD remaster.

Also, Carpal tunnel is the worst and playing this game on a PS3 is awful if you have it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beyond good and evil hd
G2f3

A decent game but its padded by collection requirements to hide the small number of locations

Theres way too much janky camera poo poo and bad stealth for my tastes too

I kinda want to say gently caress the game reversing controls on you in the final boss making you flip your controller upside down to beat them without making mistakes.

I deffo want to say gently caress the game over the storys ending, gnashing of teeth over sequel bait that never paid off aside, its also really dumb that jade is a magic alien goddess or whatever gently caress that they had 2 hours while i was collecting 50 orbs to unlock the final mission to think up something better than that cliche poo poo

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Bayonetta G4F4

It's very good but the QTEs are very bad and the UI is a bit of a mess. Unless I'm missing something there doesn't seem to be an easy way to see your current best score for a given chapter until you play through it. Moving on to bayo 2 now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crimson skys: high road to revenge
G1f1

A terrible console action flight game.
I think its remembered fondly for mp, but compared to the pc game that preceded it, the sp campaign is a hot pile of dog poo poo.

Flying feels unresponsive, controls make doing rolls while controlling speed impissible, enemies are total bullet sponges, in 90% of missions you can use an aa turret on the ground or a blimp that the ai will just line up in front of to die, etc.

The original game is a veru cool flight sim. This game is like an all range starfox or rogue squadron, done incredibly poorly.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 17, 2018

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I don't know what gxfx means and at this point I'm afraid to ask.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Trackmania Turbo - sp 89/100 mp 87/100

Amazing track design and addictive game loop. It's like Trials meets Cruisin USA and has the charm of an old Sega game. The graphics are sharp and the wrenches they throw into the mix via track design keep things fresh and freewheeling. You drift and take air like you're playing Rush, and there 150 tracks to start off with that grow increasingly more complex. Addictive single player.

The multiplayer throws you into perpetuating lobbies with 100 other people/ghosts competing for the best time simultaneously, and you can restart at the drop of a hat (you'll have to restart a lot because a single mistake can ruin the time of a run) until the 5 minute level timer runs dry. It's pretty rad to see so many people simultaneously attempting a perfect run, though I do wish there were also some Destruction Derby-esque modes with car damage etc, mainly because it would be so much loving fun to smash against other players on some of these courses.

Great way to kill time in small bursts.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Jamesman posted:

I don't know what gxfx means and at this point I'm afraid to ask.

gameplay, 1-5, fun, 1-5

That's how I've been reading it anyway :shobon:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bogart posted:

gameplay, 1-5, fun, 1-5

That's how I've been reading it anyway :shobon:

If I remember the original post by the mod, it was

Game 1-5, Fun 1-5 - which is to say, how good is the game, and how fun is it?

To illustrate I'd give The Beginner's Guide a solid 3, maybe a 4 for how interesting and good of a game it is - but Fun is a low 1, because it's a walking sim and that's not fun, so to speak.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yakuza 6
G5f5

The only game better than this is yakuza 0

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Pillars of Eternity

I didn't really care for PoE when it came out. The combat was about as good as you can expect from a RtwP CRPG, but the writing was flat and emotionless. I didn't care about anything that was happening and found all of the characters to be intensely forgettable. The setting had a few neat bits here and there, but felt largely generic. It seemed like Obsidian spent a lot of time and effort trying to create a world that made logical sense, but forgot to give it a soul. Funny, considering that so much of the game's plot is centered around soullessness. I would've given it a 3/5.

Went through it again on Path of the Damned recently and had a much better time. Encounters last longer on the highest difficulty, giving the mechanics time to shine that they did not have on Normal/Hard/whatever I chose the first time through. I haven't changed my mind about the plot, characters, or setting of the base game, but my lowered expectations dampened their impact and the White March expansions were significantly improved in this regard. Last couple acts were a bit of a boring slog due to the exp curve making every fight at this point utterly trivial, but I liked the game on the whole and look forward to PoE2.

4/5

Vargs fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 20, 2018

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Witcher 3 G2F2

I feel like Witcher 3 might be the most overrated game of this generation. Combat is straight terrible with a lot of faux depth added by the dodge and parry system when in reality the best choice for combat is just to use Quen or Axii and then mash light attack. This one is hard to describe but the game feel is bad about just walking around. Geralt is at once both sluggish to control and way too sensitive. Trying to examine objects is like pulling hairs with how much the game throws a hissy fit about you need to stand at the right spot looking at the just right angle to actually get the prompt to examine an object. But not loot though, you can be a decade away from a lootable object and the game will stop you mid sprint so you can accidentally loot it. I've arrested multiple times running down the streets of Novigrad and having that happen to me.

The story is whatever, it's really just a bunch assholes declaring themselves king of fort rear end in a top hat. Also, I was under the impression that there'd be a lot more hunting of giant animals involved based off of the title of the game and the e3 demo talking all about using your witcher senses to stalk prey. This however really boils down to, 1) follow footprints 2) the person you were looking for is dead 3) kill what ever killed them.

Witcher 3 is like a worse Dragon's Dogma, but it has a interesting storyline. Disclaimer, I have not played either DLC yet and they are supposed to be real good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

God of War (2018) - 84/100

First off let me just say that GoW is polished enough to serve extremely well as general appeal title, and I understand that many critics tend to value general appeal pretty highly these days, you know, when a game that has something for everyone it's easy to recommend. That being said, for such a prestige technical showpiece it really is a mixed bag for me.

The opening of the game is uniformly strong and the motivations for the quest feel solid and believable, but that consistency gets watered down a lot over the course of 25-30 hours. Near constant combat, fetch quests for keys in order to find orbs in order to find more keys, and tonal changes in the writing and voice acting sporadically occur all over the place and dumb down the original narrative motivation. There are several "princess is in another castle" moments that just completely stop the narrative dead in its tracks...and the technical prowess of the fixed camera in a single take cannot properly maintain the drama or support the strain of all the different "gamey" elements pulling for your attention, among them open world sidequesting, optional bosses, icon collectathons, upgrade trees, ubiquitous loot/chests and every other basic game system from the last 10 years.

I cannot avoid seeing the comparisons to a game like The Last of Us, the fingerprints are everywhere. TLoU uses tight, purposeful editing and perspective change to enhance our understanding of the characters, and every development choice (from HUD, crafting, in game conversation, shared puzzle solving, etc) seems like it was made to maintain cohesion with the central narrative, to not overshadow it or undermine it for a cheap thrill. God of War feels like it wants to be several different kinds of games at once, and it shows. It uses the single take as a parlour trick to cover up some really mundane writing and clunky traversal, especially the boating, climbing and platforming which are simply cases of bad implementation. The combat takes a good while reach a point where you are fighting a diverse set of enemies using a diverse set of skills, but when it does reach that point it gels really well, and puzzle solving using the throwing axe is uniformly satisfying even after 20 hours.

That parlour trick is pretty loving impressive though. The graphical prowess on display here is loving flawless from start to finish, and though I feel like the down-to-earth cinematic presentation is really at odds with the material (especially when the heavy, tactical combat is juxtaposed with cinematic Man of Steel-esque ubermensch fist battles that inevitably result in awful QT events)...Santa Monica's depiction of an impersonal, brutal and contradictory mythological realm really deserves to be seen and traveled. The voice acting ranges from great (Kratos, Mimir) to dodgy (Atreus, Freya, the smiths) to awful (Baldur), but the soundtrack is remarkably solid and complements the major events well.

GoW tries its hardest to be a crowd-pleaser rather than take risks, and it has a lot less nuance than its presentation tries to let on. Nonetheless it's a much better sequel/reboot than this series ever deserved and is worth a rental for most people, though perhaps not a purchase.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 8, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Yakuza 6
G5f5

The only game better than this is yakuza 0

I need to play 0. What are the main mechanical/narrative differences between 6 and 0?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - G5F4

great, great game that only started wearing thin about the same time that i achieved 100%. i didn't get stuck into hard mode, because the death cycle / respawn animation and the levels felt too long, rather than fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I need to play 0. What are the main mechanical/narrative differences between 6 and 0?
the main mechanical difference is playing as majima. In addition, you spend money to level up Majima and Kiryu, and enemies drop tons of money when they die, with more money given for things like beating enemies with Heat moves, chaining Heat moves, and not getting hit. Majima also starts out in an entirely separate city from Kiryu.

In terms of narrative, Yakuza 0 is a prequel to the entire series, and takes place in '88, during the height of Japan's boom period. The entire thing's very neon, very glowing, everyone's got tons of money to throw around. Yakuza 0 captures the time and place very well, so if you've got any interest in modern Japanese history it's interesting for that. Plus it's just a fun era to set a video game in, with so many high level Yakuza trying to make a quick buck and a bunch of hapless conmen to beat up. Since it's a prequel, Majima and Kiryu also have very little tying them down, so the story takes on a bit more of an 'Adventure' feel.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Endorph posted:

the main mechanical difference is playing as majima. In addition, you spend money to level up Majima and Kiryu, and enemies drop tons of money when they die, with more money given for things like beating enemies with Heat moves, chaining Heat moves, and not getting hit. Majima also starts out in an entirely separate city from Kiryu.

In terms of narrative, Yakuza 0 is a prequel to the entire series, and takes place in '88, during the height of Japan's boom period. The entire thing's very neon, very glowing, everyone's got tons of money to throw around. Yakuza 0 captures the time and place very well, so if you've got any interest in modern Japanese history it's interesting for that. Plus it's just a fun era to set a video game in, with so many high level Yakuza trying to make a quick buck and a bunch of hapless conmen to beat up. Since it's a prequel, Majima and Kiryu also have very little tying them down, so the story takes on a bit more of an 'Adventure' feel.

Nice, thanks. I look forward to diving into it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Banished

This is one of the hardest city builders I've ever played. You need to be constantly growing and expanding your village, but you need to do it at just the right pace. Too fast, and your population will boom and start consuming resources faster than you can collect them, and they'll starve and die. Too slow, and your population will get too old and birth rates will drop and you'll have nobody to refill your workforce with and they'll starve and die. It's a tightrope.

Everything's available to you from the start, with the only progression being that you can trade with ships to obtain new crops, trees, and livestock, but there's no real difference between anything and it's more just trying to fill out a list of items. There are achievements, but they can be quite difficult to get and also serve no purpose to gameplay. The only mode here is "survive as long as you can" with a few different options for terrain, map size, starting materials, weather, and disasters. No scenarios or challenges. Just try to walk that tightrope for as long as you can until it all goes to poo poo.

Being so hard and everything feeling the same no matter how far you get makes this a game worth passing up. It has mod support so maybe you can find mods to turn it into a fun game.

4/10

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Kingdom Hearts:
G3F3

This was my first time ever playing it and I went in blind. I would rate it higher if not for the fact that the last 1/4 of the game is just not fun at all and I felt like the final boss had too many forms. I enjoyed it overall, but I don't think it would have been remembered as fondly if it didn't have the Disney characters in it. Also, it hasn't aged super well.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Banished

This is one of the hardest city builders I've ever played. You need to be constantly growing and expanding your village, but you need to do it at just the right pace. Too fast, and your population will boom and start consuming resources faster than you can collect them, and they'll starve and die. Too slow, and your population will get too old and birth rates will drop and you'll have nobody to refill your workforce with and they'll starve and die. It's a tightrope.

Everything's available to you from the start, with the only progression being that you can trade with ships to obtain new crops, trees, and livestock, but there's no real difference between anything and it's more just trying to fill out a list of items. There are achievements, but they can be quite difficult to get and also serve no purpose to gameplay. The only mode here is "survive as long as you can" with a few different options for terrain, map size, starting materials, weather, and disasters. No scenarios or challenges. Just try to walk that tightrope for as long as you can until it all goes to poo poo.

Being so hard and everything feeling the same no matter how far you get makes this a game worth passing up. It has mod support so maybe you can find mods to turn it into a fun game.

4/10

Banished is frustrating to me because I really like the idea (realistic medieval hamlet with professions and social relations) and the graphics (understated) but the town never comes alive, it never feels like a real place. In real life people don't need an actual separate house to gently caress and have babies for example, but in this game people will go childless unless you give them their own hovel.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Destination Ares: Hot garbage.
You are the AI on a FTL type ship and you try to keep your tiny dudes alive by toggling systems on/off and telling them to fix poo poo when it breaks.
I like what they tried to make, but the audio is torture, the interface is clunky and the gameplay needed something more.

Undertale: Hot drat!
Meme RPG.
First playthrough was so-so with flat jokes, annoying characters and a boring story. New Game+ was a completely different experience, fleshing out the characters and making the battles harder. New game++ tore my heart out both emotionally and physically with some final twists to the story and some amazing boss battles. I haven't changed my opinion about a game over multiple playthroughs like that since Super Mario 2. Knowing someone else will experience Undertale for the first time and go through what I did fills me with determination!

Town of Salem: Hot mess...
"No you!" the game.
Chat based game where a bunch of idiots try to detective their way into finding the bad guys among them without lynching too many innocent or getting murdered by the bad guys. About as fun as you make it. At its best, it brings to mind classic cat and mouse chases like Sherlock and Moriarty, and Light and L. At its worst, it's a bunch of kids yelling slurs and indecipherable Town of Salem jargon at each other. You'll probably like it if you enjoy the antagonist roles in Space Station 13.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Trials: Fusion - sp 90/100 mp 88/100

Incredibly tight SP level design, easy to learn and hard to master. Extreme tracks are just too much for me.

Online MP is addictive fun, but is also marred by a lame, nearly broken voting and scoring system.

Until Dawn - 89/100

"Understand the palm of my hand, bitch!"

Designated one person to play the game while three others watched, directed and theorized about choices, so it was kind of a singleplayer/multiplayer hybrid experience. The jump scares in this game never got old, and the dialogue is both campy and exceedingly well written, humanistic, and often hilarious.

We managed to save everyone but Josh, who had his head smashed, which was amazing. This is a great game to play with a few friends over 2 or 3 sessions of a few hours each.

Lip syncing is totally out of whack but it's an endearing sign of being developed for a different gen, however the environments and effects look great. The cast is really quite great (especially Rami Malek, holy poo poo!) and the story will keep people guessing at the game's twists, and a few of the characters that start out poorly end up being super entertaining. A good horror game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Windjammers - sp N/A

mp(offline) 90/100
mp(online) 80/100

Amazing couch multiplayer game that is simultaneously shallow and yet filled with intricacy and competitive possibility. A number of retro stylings are available and the 2D graphics are slick enough to still be entertaining. Net code for online is pretty good but the player base is limited. Would make a fantastic PS+ game, but it's definitely worth $10-15 for anyone who likes couch competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Into The Breach - sp 92/100

Huge FTL fan here and I'd been waiting for a long time to hear if Subset was working on anything new, but I guess I dropped the ball because this game launched so quietly that I only heard of its existence by word of mouth.

Into The Breach is an awesome followup to the resource management of FTL. The art and UI design is incredibly slick while retaining a certain visual continuity with FTL's classic spritework design, even down to some of that game's fonts. That's about where the similarities end because Into The Breach is far more about strategic positioning and attrition than it is about resource management and dialogue options. Thankfully, similar to FTL, Into The Breach has a ton of unlockables and variable custom parts/teams.

The basic team you start with is a bit vanilla and underpowered, but after losing 5 or 6 times straight, which is sewn into the game's progression system using a brilliant thematic blend of [Pacific Rim meets Live. Die. Repeat.] , I started to unlock custom pilots and mech squads using the medals system that's provided, and it's all just so loving ADDICTIVE.

The 8x8 grid is deceptively simple at first, but there are a ton of environmental options that mix with the rotating enemy types, mech squads, and numerous abilities, and each small mission plays out like a desperate set of hierarchical last-ditch circumstances, with random flavor text popups from the various mechs doing situation analysis of the battlefield and even crowd reactions from civilians housed in the buildings you're trying to save!

In addition to the lovely spritework, menu transitions, and sound effects...the music is simply fantastic, a blend of drum beats, glitches, cello swells, and guitar fingerpicking that changes from battle to battle. After FTL's incredible soundtrack it's nice to see Ben Prunty back on board with another incredible set of tunes that's different enough to distinguish itself from the previous game.

I highly recommend that any sci-fi strategy fans out there jump on this gem of a game and throw Subset a little cash.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 5, 2018