Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My score system is more like school tests: a 5 is just "pass", a mediocre game, while an 8 means the game is really good, leaving the 9s for the absolutely great poo poo.

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete edition: 9/10.
I beat this game like a month ago but I'll write something short. I don't think I'm going to say something new about it but, what kind of black magic is this? I have a PS4 slim and this poo poo looks great and runs smooth. Combat is awesome and once you start knowing how to deal with the different robots (human enemies are just plain easy) is a blast to run around switching between ammos, doing some crowd control then blowing stuff up. Inventory system is annoying and it looks like they had some kind of loot system for randomized weapons and stats but they ended leaving fixed weapons so once you get good coils variety stops there. Quality on facial animations and dialogs go from wonky at the start of the game to decent towards the end. The DLC vastly improves on that and the new zone is cool as hell.

Killzone: Shadow Fall: 4/10.
Coming from HZD I wanted to see why people didn't have much expectations for it because of this one. Now I understand. The game is the standard 2013 shooter. Nothing great, long scripted zones, simple maps and the shooting is decent but there goes all the bad things: weapon selection is awful. You can carry two guns but can only switch one and the ones you find on the ground are just different ARs and a shotgun. You can find the same AR with different sights but that's about it since the underslung attachments are boring and bad. I think that some of the locations, even if they waste the oportunity of having more "open" maps like the very first one, look cool and there are some decent setpieces.

Mother Russia Bleeds: 7/10.
As a Streets of Rage and Final Fight fan I'm always open to try beat 'em ups. While not a fan of the art, it does well on being clear and letting you know everything happening. The difficulty has some spikes and letting you choose from four characters with different movesets and stats. It's drat gory so that might throw some people off but actual combat is satisfying. The lenght of the campaign is decent for this kind of game and is an exelent couch co-op game. Score isn't higher because as I said, I'm not a fan of the art but is a solid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Anodyne: A. I like Zelda-likes, and this is a good one. The subtext really makes this one.

Ara Fell: A-. An absolutely beautiful RPG with great characters, fantastic writing, and basically everything you could want except the actual gameplay. The combat system lacks depth and enemies have way too many hit points, so every battle ends up being a bit of a slog. Everything else is good enough that I'm willing to forgive it, though.

Cave Story: A. A really fantastic action platformer with high replay value.

Celeste: A+. I replay this one every couple months. Everyone else who talks about how great it is is right.

Donut County: B-. If this were a demo for a larger game I'd love it.

Iconoclasts: B+. I liked this game, but it had enough rough edges that it didn't live up to how good I thought it would be based on the first part. The plot and characterization is much better than the gameplay, and I would definitely recommend giving it a try as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Last Door: A-. Really fantastic point and click atmospheric horror. It's got a little bit of adventure game bullshit, but not enough to really get frustrating. The ending is a bit weak, but the journey there makes up for it.

Last Word: A-. This game just oozes charm. The "combat" is fairly involved and it makes it difficult to play for any length of time, but in small bites this is wonderful.

Night in the Woods: B-. The characters and setting are great, but the time spent playing to things happening ratio is just a little too high. I can see why people would really like this game, but it didn't do it for me.

Nihilumbra: C-. I really wanted to like this game. The art is fantastic, the gameplay mechanics are the sort of thing that I really like, and the atmosphere just all fits together perfectly. But the main game is a total cakewalk, and the postgame is just stupidly difficult. With a smoother difficulty curve this would've been a fantastic game, but as is I can't recommend it.

Shotgun Legend: A. It's the Legend of Zelda with rednecks and aliens. What's not to love? The beginning is a little rough but after that it's a really good game.

Skyborn: B+. This is in the upper echelon of RPGMaker games simply because there's nothing really bad about it. It's short and the game is too easy on normal difficulty, but that's really the worst I can say about it.

Transistor: A. Fantastic game, fantastic setting, fantastic aesthetics.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hollow Knight - sp 83/100

I can tell a lot of work and thought went into this, and I'll be honest I was quite taken with it at first, for say 15 of the 40 hours I put in. After that first 15 though I think I just started plinking away at areas out of obsessive collector's obligation. And by the time I finally gave up I had been carving away almost thoughtlessly, not really taking anything in. The music is understated and nice but nothing to write home about. The bosses are a missed opportunity for me, and I just don't think many of them are very fun in the end. I dunno, I definitely got more than my money's worth, I suppose, but I just feel a bit blah about the whole experience and I can't really figure why. I guess it's harder to fill Symphony of the Night's shoes than I previously thought.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Soul Calibur 6 - sp 85 mp 95

I suppose the single player score and the multiplayer score kind of blend on this one because most of my time has been spent making custom characters and then taking them online to fight against strangers. On the one hand the story modes are only decent, on the other hand the core mechanics are so loving good that taking up arms against another human (be it in local VS or online matchmaking) is absolutely addictive. The Reversal Edge mechanic is brilliantly maleable, accessible for newbies but incredibly deep if you want to spend the time learning everything about it. This release of SC is far more lean than previous iterations in terms of features and presentation but the essential gameplay elements feel far more considered and balanced and it's hard to deny how drat good it looks at every step. One of the best 3D fighters I've ever played.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Echo - sp 75/100 mp N/A
A very interesting, original experiment that goes all in on its idea, but is maybe a bit too taxing on player patience.

Rainbow Six: Seige - sp N/A mp 94/100
Learning curve aside, the best tactical FPS I've ever played, and next to Titanfall 2 some of the very best shooting ever released. I didn't rate the situation missions as single player content because they're basically essential tutorials for multiplayer.

Gravity Rush Remastered - sp 79/100
I lovely, charming proof of concept with great art and music. Sort of unfinished and rough around the edges.

Gravity Rush 2 - sp 92/100
Bar none the best falling/flying ever offered in game form. Amazing art, world, momentum, humor, music. Amazing fun. A few boring side missions.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Pinstripe -- 4/10, SP only.

A fairly rote platformer / adventure game about being a priest and saving your baby daughter from the devil, sadly padded out by a bit in the middle where you need to collect 300 of a drop to proceed, which forces you to retread all of the previous areas using a mildly novel fire system (which, remember in Zelda if you shoot an arrow through a fire source, you get a fire arrow? it's that) to grind your way to get the next geegaw. The ending is fine and they present a NG+ which unlocks special areas. Maybe the true Pinstripe starts there, I don't know.

yiik: elisa lam is a love interest. hahah what the gently caress 0/10

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - sp 93/100 mp N/A

from goty thread

It came down to engagement with mechanics, as it usually does for me. Control had the edge on atmosphere (which is pretty wild since it was going up against FROM) and arguably I could say that Control's ideas are a bit more profound and politically engaging in our conspiratorial age...but where Control reveled in chaos blowing poo poo every which way, Sekiro honed its storytelling and vision of interactivity into a diamond of focus, held its breath and executed without hesitation, without submission or compromise to the whims of a larger community, contemporary design trends, without huge day 1 balance patches, without any form of multiplayer, or lootbox, or microtransaction, or even DLC...and honestly, in some ways Sekiro feels more like a game from the early 00s, tested in advance so thoroughly because they knew they had to get it right the first time.

Not only that but Sekiro shows FROM delivering in specific ways that may have been considered outside of their range up until now, since very few people expected this small studio to be creating such a mechanically dense and extremely responsive combat engine. Surely some eyebrows must've raised at Capcom & Platinum this year as FROM, a studio known for environmental storytelling, fatrolling, and flavortext delivered the most finely tuned swordclashing combat ever seen. On top of that is a surprisingly complex and ambiguous story about principle, corruption, and dueling political ideologies in a changing world, a story that meditates on the kind of legacy we're going to leave the youth of this world after we're gone. I found it touching, stoic, tragic, bizarre and pretty badass. Sekiro excels at choosing the terms of engagement and performance for the player with utmost precision, then delivering calculated reward on those terms at levels both micro and macro. Mixed together with such a unique, weird, and remarkably personal interpretation of Japanese history and mythology, it deftly swipes the credential of GOAT sengoku ninja game, as well as my personal GOTY. Long live the Masochistic Psychogamers!

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - sp N/A mp 80/100

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - sp 89/100 mp N/A (currently)

from goty thread

Another kickstarter game hitting the scene that honestly has no right to be this good! Up front I should note that SOTN is my favorite game ever, and the very idea of trying to follow it up at all is kind of a tall order. I respect Bloodstained because it doesn't really pretend that it can outclass SOTN at its own game, it just focuses on paying homage and blowing the dust off what is already a perfected formula. A lot of talent from the original SOTN team returns to mix anime, vampires, and hardcore synth-rock once more into a wild, old-school concoction...the result is nostalgic, huge, fun, colorful, and challenging. Now where's my DLC!?

WipEout: Omega Collection - sp 85/100 mp N/A (haven't played)

Dandara - sp 90/100 mp N/A

Thumper - sp 88/100 mp N/A

Towerfall: Ascension: The Dark World expansion - sp meh/100 mp yup/100

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 22, 2022

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fe3H: yes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol i never wrote the text for my poo poo. maybe when rarity makes the end of the year thread

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Horizon Forbidden West - sp 88/100 mp N/A

Enjoyed this game a lot, connected with it much more than the first one though they share many of the same issues in open world design. That said, if you're going to design an ubisoft style open world this does feel like the way to do it right. As with HZD the story has some uneven spots in terms of presentation, but in almost opposite ways from the first game. HZD struggled to make its foreground events feel meaningful while its historical logs delivered a very dramatic arc, though it came late in the game. HFW has a much more meaningful immediate narrative but its flow is truncated by an open-ended quest structure and dialogue that is similarly janky at times, so far a series trademark. In terms of mocap artistry Guerilla is no Naughty Dog. That said, the gameplay is greatly improved in nearly every way. The traversal options are so much smoother now and really thrilling to use, and combat is more defined now with interlocking areas of specialization that must be engaged with mindfully in order to have a balanced loadout. The combat is frenetic and fluid and the character animation, sound design, and music are all first class. Obviously HFW is sort of a placeholder chapter for something bigger in the story to come, but I'm excited to get there, and this game was freaking beautiful.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
BP shamelessly bumping he own thread - 0/100

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (999) - sp 72/100 mp N/A

A visual novel murder trap/saw/battle royale game thing which intersperses its paranormal branching plotline with basic escape room scenes. I was told to play this by another goon, and it didn't disappoint, exactly, but also didn't surprise. Several puzzles were trivial or busted due to badly considered target areas for clicking. The plot is a combo of the cliches I'm used to from battle royale/dangan ronpa-styled settings, with an emphasis on characters periodically stopping all action to explain ideas from the wide world of pseudoscience which all, semi-coincidentally, wind up being relevant to the main story. I'd probably have enjoyed this if I didn't already know about all of these external ideas, leaving me to click rapidly through someone learning about, for example, what "ice-9" is.

As is common with these games, the consistency of puzzles both direct and ingame (the stuff you solve as the characters) and metatextually (the overall plot twists and setting) have several unearned "gotcha" moments. Still, the repartee between the characters are sometimes quite clever (the translators had a lot of fun with incidental furniture dialogue), the game includes some overall concepts that are new (to me at least), and it could certainly be much worse; the sexism's much less blatant than what I recall from the dangan ronpa LP, and few of the characters come across as morons, which is always the risk with this sort of game. The game comes as a two-pack with a sequel, Virtue's Last Reward, which I'm promised is much better (and hopefully doesn't rely on hex puzzles quite so much).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

BP shamelessly bumping he own thread - 0/100

:getin:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 20, 2022

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Latest game I've been playing with my friends:
World War Z: 8/10. It's basically Left 4 Dead with more progression and a globetrotting campaign, and it's honestly almost as good as L4D. Get some friends and kill some zombies.

Latest game I'm playing solo:
Cruelty Squad: 9/10. If you can get past the visuals, sounds, and controls there's one hell of a game here. Get your CEO mindset ready and make that cash until the sun smiles down at you with malice. If you can't get past the literally everything that's not the actual gameplay it's a 0/10 and I do not blame you for it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sunblaze: A+. All of the other Celeste-inspired games I've seen have been pale imitations; this is not. The difficulty level for the main story is comparable to the A-sides, with a stronger emphasis on figuring out what to do (although executing your plan can certainly be challenging). There's a hard mode for each chapter that's probably comparable to the B-sides, and a collection of levels that didn't quite make the cut for the main game if you need more.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Cult of the Lamb: 7/10
Incredible art style, fun and rewarding gameplay loop but the core roguelite element lacks variety, especially in the boss encounters and you're functionally "done" with the base building pretty early on. This is an easy recommend to basically anyone that enjoys this kind of rogue-extra-lite game but it could have been better.

Bughouse: 5/10
PS1 aesthetic horror games are basically my jam but this one commits both cardinal sins; you have to fail to progress the game, but if you fail a second time you instantly get the bad ending and have to restart. The first part of the game is really good at building tension so hence I'd still recommend it to those who like this specific sort of game

Perfect Vermin: 4/10
It's fun to hit stuff with a big hammer. Doesn't go anywhere but it's also free and the concept is interesting.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I had a pretty awesome week recently where I finished two great games that I’d been working through forever on successive days.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Game 5/5, Fun 3/5. Some moments of this game were incredible, but they make a lot of gameplay decisions explicitly to slow it down and it can get boring. My biggest issue with it, though, is that every single mission concludes with 5 minutes of terrible duck hunt target practice. Why go through so much to try for emotional impact and immersion when my character has murdered approximately 50,000 people by the end of the game? The world was so beautiful though. My favorite parts were the mountains by the Native American reservation and saint denis.

Disco Elysium: game 5/5 fun 5/5. Just amazing. Reminded me of playing fallout for the first time.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Arx Fatalis: A TTLG game I never played. Also a release from Arkane studios. It has a very strong ultima 9 feel, of being ambitious but also jank, which is a good description of it. Lots of early 90s I don't know what to do because what I'm supposed to do and what the instructions in my journal say do not line up. If you decide to cast spells (you should, the game is extremely annoying if you don't), you have to cast them by tracing runes on your screen. You get to find out why nobody ever does that in games because it really sucks. Be slightly off on a 90 degree angle while in combat and you gently caress up your spell. You can precast them and use your hot keys, but then what was the point of tracing out your stupid spells? :spyduck:

Spoilers. Go ahead and read them to find the wet fart of a story

For those of you who have not played, the sun got put out and everyone had to move underground with all the other demi-human races. Then, some guy decides to summon an evil demon God, and they're sacrificing people to bring him back which makes everyone mad. The Gods send you to put a stop to the summoning of the demon god thing. There's a plot with the king that has a reveal that would've been interesting if it had any stake in the plot. You find out at the end that they're summoning the evil demon god to bring the sun back, but you stop him because that's what you're supposed to do. Then your handler shows up and says congratulations and you can't stay and have to go back to heaven or something, and you leave and they still have no sun. There's no signs if this is morally grey or anything, it just isn't addressed and nobody mentions it. Then the game just ends. :ok:

Less charm than Ultima 9 with all the jank. I give it 2/5 since at least they made most of the skills at least somewhat useful. Just pick any skill-build and run with it and it's pretty viable. I went pure caster and beat the two hardest bosses by them getting stuck and letting me just sit there and fail tracing spells over and over. The end.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 23, 2022

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shop Titans is an okay phone game that scratches that itch to sell poo poo and make numbers go up. It's fairly simple and intuitive in most aspects. The story and character writing are fairly sparse but extremely good most of the time, surprisingly. The micro transactions are somehow even worse than your standard phone game gacha fare though, so if you have any kind of addictive personality issues I'd stay far, far away.

Gets a 7/10 for me.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
going with the ol' Xplay rating system of 5 possible golden manbabies

Crimzon Clover: World EXplosion - 5/5
One of the best games I've ever played. Gorgeous, elegant, challenging but fair. Runs like a Ferrari. Just cleared the Novice mode on 1 credit and it's been some of the most fun I've had with a video game. Recommended to anybody that enjoys a good challenge.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dying Light: G4F3

I really wanted to love this game. The writing is every zombie media you've ever consumed, which is fine; if you have a perfectly functional wheel at your disposal don't waste time & effort trying to come up with a different shape for rolling.

Basically I feel like the game had really promising concepts, but instead of going "Yes, and" with them & really leaning into the potential fun factor they had available to them, they went for a "Yes, but":
Yes there's fun parkour, but there are also a couple level-dependent breakpoints that unlock 'new animations' that totally throw off the sense of timing & range you've built up over the time it took to unlock it.
Yes there's a grappling hook that latches on to pretty much anything, but it's really clumsily disabled for plot sequencing purposes (I need to climb this really big tower, wish I had my grappling hook but that would let me accidentally/intentionally bypass the cinematic moments programmed to happen halfway up the climb! Or it would completely trivialize a climb that's instead a huge pain in the rear end!) & on top of that, it's relatively deep in the skill tree to unlock! I was around 70% through with the story by the time I unlocked it.
Yes there's a bunch of different melee weapons to bash stuff with, but it is better to ignore them entirely and use the handful of skills that knock enemies down & use the Stomp to one-shot them than it is to take out a high-end hammer or katana or whatever and take somewhere from 1 to 6 whacks to kill the same thing.

Two story things that made me laugh for the wrong reasons:
Five seconds into the plot you find out that your Only Tower Friend really wants to blow up a zombie nest, but nobody in the tower will let him because he's a) an idiot and b) a teenager, and besides that there's no explosives to be had! Couple missions later you find explosives and your partner reminds you of the previous point by taking a moment to explicitly state "DO NOT LET DUMBASS HAVE THESE TO BLOW UP THAT NEST". Needless to say dumbass immediately takes the explosives to blow up the nest, fucks up, gets bit & turns. This is somehow your fault.
About halfway through the story you help create a series of organized explosions & fires in a large tower to make a pattern, to show that there's still intelligent life in the city contrary to the news reports. The design you end up helping make? This face: :smith: The result? A fighter jet comes by and flattens the building literally seconds after the image appears.
Final boss: Instead of an epic towertop swordfight or even a mediocre gun battle, this is reduced to a series of quick time events, used in combat for the first time.

At the end of the day I had fun with it, I might go back to it, I will probably give DL2 a shot when it goes on sale/in a bundle/in the humble monthly, but I honestly just kept wishing this was Dead Rising style, where generic zombies get one-shot by almost anything instead of being a slog to fight.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

CHR$(143) - A
Awful name, an aesthetic that is retro to a fault, seems like Chip's Challenge meets Boulderdash, but ends up being the most esoteric blend of puzzle elements I think I've ever seen that somehow manages to come together in a way that works. Costs $2. Easily my favourite puzzle game in years.

Cult of the Lamb - B+
Dungeon crawling that's way too easy, and cult management with a lot of fun unlocks and progression... and babysitting, and bugs, and bad/lacking UI. The aesthetic manages to carry a lot on its shoulders. Hoping post-launch support can improve this one.

Vintage Story - A-
I can't believe it's not Terrafirmacraft. (Really, it can be hard to tell the difference.) Survival Minecraft with interesting temperature/crafting/farming/cooking/spoilage systems, repetitive knapping, frustratingly overwrought mining, some "working as intended" issues with worldgen, and combat that actually manages to be worse than Minecraft's while already being tuned to kick your rear end. Still, highly configurable, and nothing that's really a dealbreaker but it still lacks a real endgame to work towards for the time being.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Baldur's Gate 2 B+ The companion writing that would help make Mass Effect a generational hit is present in BG2 in a way that it isn't in 1; and I say that as someone who prefers the first game for it's low level D&D mechanics and it's greater emphasis on wilderness exploration.

The combat was rough for the first few hours, but eventually your party hits a stride, encounters get much more routine, and you can enjoy an RPG that, notably, seems much more willing than its successors to give companions unhappy outcomes.

The railroading and time constraints, both genuine and illusory (a lot of quests are explicitly written as urgent when they mechanically aren't, but some actually are, which is a bad mix) are as bad as I'd always heard and they nearly made me quit the game. It isn't simply a matter of getting past these side quests, either, because accomplishing your companions personal requests accounts for a majority of everything that isn't the main quest mile stones.

But once the party stopps harassing me with mutually exclusive demands and the dungeons stop feeling so punishing, its clear why this game was always so highly regarded, and a large part of it is the excellent writing and acting, and that sense Baldur's Gate 2 can stand against of the RPGs that have come after.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Baldur's Gate 2 B+ The companion writing that would help make Mass Effect a generational hit is present in BG2 in a way that it isn't in 1; and I say that as someone who prefers the first game for it's low level D&D mechanics and it's greater emphasis on wilderness exploration.

The combat was rough for the first few hours, but eventually your party hits a stride, encounters get much more routine, and you can enjoy an RPG that, notably, seems much more willing than its successors to give companions unhappy outcomes.

The railroading and time constraints, both genuine and illusory (a lot of quests are explicitly written as urgent when they mechanically aren't, but some actually are, which is a bad mix) are as bad as I'd always heard and they nearly made me quit the game. It isn't simply a matter of getting past these side quests, either, because accomplishing your companions personal requests accounts for a majority of everything that isn't the main quest mile stones.

But once the party stopps harassing me with mutually exclusive demands and the dungeons stop feeling so punishing, its clear why this game was always so highly regarded, and a large part of it is the excellent writing and acting, and that sense Baldur's Gate 2 can stand against of the RPGs that have come after.

I replayed this in preparation for BG3. Mechanically, you’re just at a disadvantage until your party gets some good armor. I forgot how much of the “skill” in playing the game is just knowing what’s around the corner and either preparing or abusing the game engine.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 7/10.

I spent over a week hyperfixated on this game but it's tough to say why.

I found the pseudo-MMO combat to be somewhat overwhelming in terms of figuring out what was happening. There are several mechanics I failed to understand or implement even towards the end of the game.

The overarching narrative was really good but it was filtered through the eyes of the sort of dopey, doe-eyed, oblivious optimistic MCs I've grown far too cynical to appreciate. Can somebody please put 1 and 1 together before I do? I'm not even that smart!. Can somebody please do or say something when the horrible villain du jour is on their bullshit other than spout cliches and/or repeating names under your breath? (Thank you to Eunie for occasionally not doing this).

The wide world was amazing to explore, especially when you realize you can find areas full of really strong creatures and just run through them an survive (which is something I absolutely love doing) but eventually it started to feel disappointing because there was seldom anything to find. It's one of those 'All your equipment is accessories games and you get 3 slots' games and 90% of the accessories you find are only useful in esoteric situations you won't even realize you're in until it's too late. Gold is almost entirely worthless (I made 1.5 million gold over the course of the game. I spent maaaaybe a little over 50k) and the Nopon coins arn't any terribly exciting either.

I guess the best thing about the game is how it drips feeds constant quest progress combined with class progress to you to enmesh you in a constant feeling of accomplishment and wonder at what's next.

Finally there's a part roughly 2/3rds in where the game decides it's suddenly Xenogears disk 2 and floods you with about 2 and a half hours of the Most loving depressing cutscenes you might ever see in a video game with maybe the occasional fight in between. It was miserable and almost put me off the game entirely.

Usually a game that gets its hooks in me this deeply would warrant a higher score but when I read my review to myself I couldn't justify giving a higher score than I did. Maybe this will make my top 10 this year but it will be on the back half for sure.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 26, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Resident Evil 3 - Remake: sp 87/100

Much of what I'm going to say about RE3make also applies to my feelings of RE2make, but I played 3 first and liked it a bit more. It kind of worked out tho because 3 is just as much of a prequel to 2 as it is a sequel. It definitely has a bit less puzzling than 2 so at times it can feel more on rails. All in all it took me 2 hours longer to complete than Leon's A route in 2, so I'd estimate that they are roughly the same length but just parsed out a bit differently. The banter between Jill and Carlos is great, and at this point it's safe to say that the only dev doing better face/voice/mocap work than Capcom is Naughty Dog. Jill just looks remarkable and as a protag she's a joy to play, incredible animations, always says the right quip for the situation, and cutscene direction is fabulous. The game just looks exquisite. In general I think RE3make is balanced a bit better than 2make, though the boss fights are more tedious, and there's one room defense moment halfway through that was kinda lame, but my overall first impression of the tech and passion on display in these REmakes is very high, they are genre showpieces as well as simply fantastic reinvigorations of a franchise that kinda lost its way a while back.

Resident Evil 2 - Remake: sp 85/100

I played 2make directly after 3make and really liked it, in some ways even more. There's a lot more backtracking in this one, though some parts of the pacing and level design feel more well rounded than 3. Leon is okay, Claire is meh, and Ada is badass as always though her puzzle segments feel sort of misplaced. The route A/B thing is less fleshed out than it was in the original game, but for those who want to there is still a lot of replay value to this game, a fitting tribute for the original. The police station has been lovingly fleshed out and the art direction and graphical tech on display is great. The use of the Tyrant in the main plot is a bit of a mistep though, both narratively and mechanically it's a bit of a fumble. I also didn't care for some of the puzzles or sim aspects like boarding up windows, etc. Ultimately I don't think it's as well balanced and there is way more inventory chess, but the shooting felt slightly better, I dunno why. There are some QoL features missing and the biggest thing I missed mechanically was Jill's dodge move from 3make. Overall a loving tribute to a classic game with some real wow setpiece moments, and I loved seeing some of the interstitial story moments from different angles across both games, but I just enjoyed playing as Jill more.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Inscryption - sp 90/100

Great writing, art, music, scenario design, deep gameplay mechanics, whimsy, mystery, hardcore puzzle solving, absolute rabbithole of a game. So many old-timey genre references buried deep within, so many clever ways to break its own mechanics and twist its own themes, and in general just full of remarkable surprises that I won't talk about because whatever you do please into this game blind. So much love went into making this game, what a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Red Dead Redemption (360) - 9/10

I've mostly been holding off on it because I don't care for GTA, and I will say that the same basic layout is there, but the change of setting is what I think did it for me. The gameplay held up really well for the most part and I loved the art style. Really, the only reason I knocked off a point is that I really hated the few side quests where you had to gather a ton of poo poo.

Also, I love how they handle the post-game. I love that it's you playing as Jack, since John is dead. It just feels like a nice continuation of the story.