Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Anodyne: A. I like Zelda-likes, and this is a good one. The subtext really makes this one.

Ara Fell: A-. An absolutely beautiful RPG with great characters, fantastic writing, and basically everything you could want except the actual gameplay. The combat system lacks depth and enemies have way too many hit points, so every battle ends up being a bit of a slog. Everything else is good enough that I'm willing to forgive it, though.

Cave Story: A. A really fantastic action platformer with high replay value.

Celeste: A+. I replay this one every couple months. Everyone else who talks about how great it is is right.

Donut County: B-. If this were a demo for a larger game I'd love it.

Iconoclasts: B+. I liked this game, but it had enough rough edges that it didn't live up to how good I thought it would be based on the first part. The plot and characterization is much better than the gameplay, and I would definitely recommend giving it a try as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Last Door: A-. Really fantastic point and click atmospheric horror. It's got a little bit of adventure game bullshit, but not enough to really get frustrating. The ending is a bit weak, but the journey there makes up for it.

Last Word: A-. This game just oozes charm. The "combat" is fairly involved and it makes it difficult to play for any length of time, but in small bites this is wonderful.

Night in the Woods: B-. The characters and setting are great, but the time spent playing to things happening ratio is just a little too high. I can see why people would really like this game, but it didn't do it for me.

Nihilumbra: C-. I really wanted to like this game. The art is fantastic, the gameplay mechanics are the sort of thing that I really like, and the atmosphere just all fits together perfectly. But the main game is a total cakewalk, and the postgame is just stupidly difficult. With a smoother difficulty curve this would've been a fantastic game, but as is I can't recommend it.

Shotgun Legend: A. It's the Legend of Zelda with rednecks and aliens. What's not to love? The beginning is a little rough but after that it's a really good game.

Skyborn: B+. This is in the upper echelon of RPGMaker games simply because there's nothing really bad about it. It's short and the game is too easy on normal difficulty, but that's really the worst I can say about it.

Transistor: A. Fantastic game, fantastic setting, fantastic aesthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sunblaze: A+. All of the other Celeste-inspired games I've seen have been pale imitations; this is not. The difficulty level for the main story is comparable to the A-sides, with a stronger emphasis on figuring out what to do (although executing your plan can certainly be challenging). There's a hard mode for each chapter that's probably comparable to the B-sides, and a collection of levels that didn't quite make the cut for the main game if you need more.