Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If we are gonna have this thread i demand we use videogames rating system of GxFx please update the op thank you.

Mario odyssey G5F5
Cuphead G5F3
Steamworld dig 2 G4F4

Had to dock swd2 a fun point cause the combat is kinda clunky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cup head is very well made game G5
Cup head is frustrating in a number of ways that make it less fun than other similar games F3

For instance:

the parry mechanic has too much risk for the reward. The timing is unforgiving in a way that gets you hit a lot and the rebound is extreme with no iframes. Meter builds plenty fast without parrying so i found myself skipping it in fights after fulfilling the bonus scoring requirement

The foreground obscures a lot of action in several fights leading to bullshit damage.

The flying levels feel like rear end if you have played good shmups before. You cant bring your loadout into the flying levels either they should have stuck to the main gameplay mode: this goes also for the run and gun levels. They arent fun and all you get is money for upgrades that dont really feel that essential aside from smoke bomb

The penultimate boss fight is ruined by like 7 loading screens that dont exist in any other fight and it spoils a cool moment right before a pitifully easy final boss.

Regular difficulty is only challenging (for me) in one or two fights and by the time i unlocked expert i was bored of the game and also dont want to play the robot flying level ever again with the bad shmup controls

At this point im too far into ragging on nitpicks to back peddle but i enjoyed the game and i think its worth its price even though i waited for a sale.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it plays real well aside from just those parts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beat evil with 2

G4f3

Above average game average fun factor

Game is held back by its linearity, never really makes good on the promise of the first big open section by breaking the world into too many little zones and having very little required time in them.

Shooting is stiff but i think thats part of the re4 legacy appeal.

I had good fun with it. I'd play a third if its this much improved over the last again. If its about the same quality i might pass

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ori and the blind forest
G4F2

Ori is a drop dead beautiful game that completely mistakes surprise obstacles for challenge far too often. Its not actually hard once you learn which rocks are going to fall out of nowhere or where a laser is going to come from.

The combat is bad. You have to just mash a button or yolo ground stomp, i guess cause they want you to focus on the jumping but i found it just lame. Should have made the attack autofire when the button is held if thats what they wanted so im not tapping like an idiot on these loud as gently caress xbox face buttons.

The art actually gets in the way of the gameplay a lot too with ori being so freaking tiny hes impossible to see especially when obscured by foreground elements or near bright light sources.

Most of the complex traversal centers on a freeze time and aim mechanic that lets you rebound off projectiles and enemies and its tedious as heck to constantly break the game flow like that.

Idk its a cool game but the sequel needs to be a lot more fun for me to give a poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mario+rabbids

G4F3

A well made xcom game that kinda goes on too long for its pitifully small tech trees to keep it staying fresh.

Soldiered through to the end but it was hard to want to bother some days cause its just fatiguing to play turn based games sometimes when you are tired idk.

Im glad i got it on sale to spend time with switch during the current lull but im not wasting any money on the dlc thats for sure. I got enough of this game for a lifetime.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dragonball fighterz (story mode)

G2F1

The computer cant handle the most basic and unsafe string in the game over and over again so get ready for 12-18 hours of 150-200 bad fights

If you love dbz the cutscenes are very fun though and unlocking the boss character for multiplayer (g5f5) is what its all about.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No, thats arcade mode

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Little nightmares
G3F2

Ive seen it all before. Tired block pushing puzzle platforming combined with slow stealth sections.

Atmosphere is good, but its one of those games where they want you to make up a plot for their creepy world and i didnt care about anything happening.

The enemies are just fat people mostly so its not scary but there are a few great chase scenes

Controls are sluggish feeling and the near 2d perspective makes some movement in 3d space hard to judge like when you need to slide into cover but clip the edge of the hole and get stuck.

Its style over substance imho.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Uncharted is only a good game in a world without cinematic action platformers

That jetski section is one of the worst tuned vehicle sections in game history

The sequel is 4000x improved

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rime
G3f1

Rime is so far up its rear end and is incredibly padded and boring.

Long corridors of slow jogging connect the set pieces of forgettable puzzles. The game chugs like hell on ps4 in some sections too. If you play uncharted and skip all the fun parts and just did the boring linear ledge climbing thats this game.

The ending goes balls in on what might be the worst attempt at a heartbreaking twist ive ever seen.

Its not surprising that the game only lasted 9 months on the store before going ps plus i would not have bought this for more either.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Sexy brutale
G3F3

A really cool idea for a game that probably needed more polish
Character animations bug out constantly, everything feels clunky, the story is hard to follow, etc but these flaws are pretty easy to overlook cause solving the murders is fun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ys8 lacrimosa of dana
G3F5

Ys games are awesome. Great boss fights fun leveling up and cool maps with lots of shortcuts and interconnectivity.

8 is as good as the others in the series despite obviously being an uprez'd vita game.

I didnt watch a single cutscene or read a single conversation though because its loving ys and you can just sub in any bad anime metaphysical plot you want. So maybe you wont like the game if you care about story idk.

A blast to play and as always the music is killer.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Theres a lot of bad decisions to hate about the game but when you get in there its very fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Monster hunter world
G3f5

Finally beat it. Its really fun to play with friends but id never play it solo. Highly recommend if you got a crew.

I enjoyed hammer and light bow gun as my weapons. Both are kinda annoying to do real damage with on open ground but have super satisfying big damage bullshit you can do in the right circumstances.

Kinda disappointed that a lot of the ui and systems remain backwards as hell but i gotta give them credit for the steps they took getting this far.
The monster and map selection feels small in hindsight but thats always to be expected for a reboot of a game like this.

Provably gonna shelf it until dlc rolls out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shadow of the colossus ps4
G5f2

A beautiful monumental game that is epic and amazing but at times the most frustrating garbagefire of badly aged play control that the remake does little to help.

Pretty sure i never want to play it again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bayonetta 2
G4F3

A much improved game over bayo1, but for me personally it doesnt reach the heights of mgr or vanquish as far a p* gameplay goes.

The explorative sections remain uninteresting, the multiple combat modes that the game throws out make me just say "boy this part looks cool but it plays worse than the regular fight parts", etc

On the positive side the coop is cool the alt characters are cool, i think the difficulty balance is perfect (outside of a few fights where i just couldnt see wtf was happening with my old eyes) and the story/characters were much more interesting.

Hope 3 really goes big.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rare replay
G?F1

Hard to rate this collection beyond saying the bulk of it does not hold up for a first play through in 2018.

A lot of the arcade games are baffling.
A lot of the 3d games have painful controls.

an amazing value if you're nostalgic but i'll stick to dkc2 and diddy kong racing for my rare fix going forward i think and they arent gonna be in any xbox collection

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I want to like a trails game real bad somebody play the 70 hour intro and give me your save tia

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I am a pretty big text box skipper

Terminally Bored posted:

All three Trails in the Sky games are very much worth it. The main appeal is that you get to know all the characters through the extreme slow burn (or smolder really) of the story and then it REALLY pays off in the second and third games. The detail is insane, even the side characters you only talk to once or twice in the game have their tiny little story arcs.

At times I wished they took all the fighting out because the combat is mediocre at best and there's so much of it, but Japan doesn't really do adventure games. You get that next bit of story when you click through a dozen of monsters, fill exp bars and meet quotas.

Yeah i played tits through the 2nd region and the combat is real slow, most turn based rpgs with positioning like that or arc the lad feel like they would be better served going full srpg rather than trying to be hybrid idk.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fable 2
G2F1

Total rear end. Played to the end just to experience the horror of such a piece of poo poo game. Theres too much to catalog to even begin listing the grave sins this game commits and i really think fable fans might be dumb as hell if they like this shoddy hollow cant even get game over excuse for an arpg

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Under night in-birth .exe late [st]
G5f5

One of the best fighters ever. The best tutorial for fighters in years. Great characters, deep deep systems. Much anime.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Agreed

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Into the Breach
G5F5

just a fun simple joy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Celeste
G4F4

Really solid platforming. Chapter 6 is amazing stuff. So much side content, more than i'll ever do.

Story is some dumb garbo about inner demons and whatever but several npcs are very cute and worth reading the dialog for

Music is very good but some tracks are better than others imo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Puyo puyo tetris (switch)
G4f5

I love swap mode so much but fusion mode loving blows imo and needing to learn it to clear story mode is a pain in the rear end.

Otherwise incredibly fun game. Online works well and a ton of great content

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Idk about community, i just play people i know on discord. :shrug:

Im glad someone likes fusion i guess. Do you also like party mode with the items too? I hates em. Swap only 4 life

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vg whats the top 20?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Itsame the mario 3 agree-er

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rayman is super duper

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Legends contains origins best levels

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Svc match of the millennium
G5F5

It is so loving sick
Im in awe this is on a handheld from the 90s

It has more content than any fighter ive ever played.

1v1,2v2 tag, 3v3 kof style, 6 minigames to unlock secret moves, dozens of characters etc

Also gief on this thumb stick is a beast.

If you have like 60-80 bucks lying around get an old beat up ngpc and this game pronto.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Soulcaliber 2: hd online
G4f4

Oldy but still fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kirby star allies
G3f4

Robobot was a stronger game. The coop is good in allies but it introduces too many weird commands so when you come to a new power you have many different ways to accomplish absorbing or recruiting it and it just feels clunky and slows down the game

The endgame boss rush modes are much better cause it locks you as one type and you dont need to worry about it

The campaign levels are pretty tepid imo compared to previous games but i had fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ninokuni2
G2F2

Shallow action jrpg with a nice visual style.
Combat is a simplistic mishmosh of ideas that is both too easy and too frustrating thanks to attack animations being sluggish and preventing you from dodging or blocking a lot of the time.
all the secondary modes are unfun mobile game tier trash like they dont even let you build your city your way and the skirmishes are just a clusterfuck
Story is bare bones
Hard progression gates stop gameplay between each third of the game unless you are diligent about side quests.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sid meier's pirates! Live the life (xbox version)
G5f5

Pirates is a very very ambitious game. It is an edutainment rpg, minigame-collection, navel combat and life simulator, turn based tactics, stealth, rhythm, qte-fest, and treaure hunting game.

Individually each of its parts is very basic. Some are rather flawed and doing them again and again gets old if you dont break it up, but taken as a whole the game is a masterpiece. You live out the ups and downs of your pirates life until you hang up your sword and retire. You reunite your family, marry, climb the pirate wanted list, and search for tools and remedies to ward off the ravages of time on your aging body. You survive mutiny, stranding, capture, etc and alway get a chance to bounce back.

Games a triumph and when you win you get to unlock vids of shabby devs play fighting around the break room for reference material

The og xbox version is very solid. Maybe not as nice as the pc version i played 13 years ago but i cant say for sure. I remember the stealth mechanics to play better but it was long long ago.

Get this game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tack

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beyond good and evil hd
G2f3

A decent game but its padded by collection requirements to hide the small number of locations

Theres way too much janky camera poo poo and bad stealth for my tastes too

I kinda want to say gently caress the game reversing controls on you in the final boss making you flip your controller upside down to beat them without making mistakes.

I deffo want to say gently caress the game over the storys ending, gnashing of teeth over sequel bait that never paid off aside, its also really dumb that jade is a magic alien goddess or whatever gently caress that they had 2 hours while i was collecting 50 orbs to unlock the final mission to think up something better than that cliche poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crimson skys: high road to revenge
G1f1

A terrible console action flight game.
I think its remembered fondly for mp, but compared to the pc game that preceded it, the sp campaign is a hot pile of dog poo poo.

Flying feels unresponsive, controls make doing rolls while controlling speed impissible, enemies are total bullet sponges, in 90% of missions you can use an aa turret on the ground or a blimp that the ai will just line up in front of to die, etc.

The original game is a veru cool flight sim. This game is like an all range starfox or rogue squadron, done incredibly poorly.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yakuza 6
G5f5

The only game better than this is yakuza 0