Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Latest game I've played is:

Tom Clancy's The División (PC): I've been watching this game for long time but never decided to get it because from the betas, it seemed clunky. With last patch's improvement, it felt really good. I maxed out to level 30 in 3 or 4 days and some kind goons helped me gear up for World Tendency 5 (something like Diablo's torment difficulty levels). It has shitloads of stuff to do solo, the worldmap is amazing and feels like something bad happened, not just "oh look, a hosed up city". You see civilians around, some ask you for help, AI factions fight between themselves, etc...

It's a loot piñata game with heavy emphasis on optimizing your gear for end game but compared to other games, it has plenty of viable builds, skills and gear. Lots of weapons to choose and mods and the best thing: gear barely impacts your looks, it's pure cosmetic clothin with no stats at all what determines how you look so you can sperg over numbers and then wear whatever you want. You can play it as a single player game and have shitloads of content, I got the gold edition wich is base plus season pass.

SP 80/100. MP 85/100.

Dead Cells (PC): I normally avoid early access games but after watching a few YouTube videos about this one I decided to give it a go during christmas sale. I describe this game as something like a randomized castlevania game with lots of unlockables. I got it with the "Brutality" update and I see it constantly getting patches. Currently in the foundry update, they added a lot of new weapons and powers, passive skills and so. The game is combat heavy, with plenty of weapons. It controls like your common 2d metroidvania and its main gimmick is that dying sends you back to the begining but you retain the abilities you adquired (like double jumping or being able to use teleports). My only gripe is that it takes too long to unlock stuff and on top of that is quite unforgiving so you may end getting either bored or frustrated because you did the starting level like 20 times before unlocking the shortcut to a more advanced level. Currently only on PC but I see this getting a PS4/Xbox reléase when it gets out of early access.

SP 78/100.

Imhotep posted:

Did the same person rate Ashes of Ariendel higher than the Ringed City because that is loving bananas. Ashes of Ariendel feels like a side area in the main game, it doesn't feel that 'special' like a DLC, it's just visually monotonous and the boss fights, except for one, are just boring. The Ringed City, although it didn't meet my expectations after the hectic and beautiful beginning, was at least consistently amazing and had lots of varied and beautiful areas, the world collapsing in on itself is just amazing to look at at the very beginning of the DLC, and the huge drops into ash and through glass etc is just fun. It's obviously absurdly hard, but once you figure out a couple of key things it becomes doable. Ashes of Ariendel had neither the difficulty nor the interesting environment, I got lost all the time because it's hard to find your way around when everything looks like a snowy hillside.

I'd rate Ashes better than Ringed City too because I played Bloodborne after playing DS3+Ashes. Ringed City unpatched is absolute bullshit and has the enemy I hate the most in all bloodsouls games: The loving angel. Prepatch angels would look after you even if you used hidden body, on top of that they decided to place them on areas with little cover and a swamp. By the time they put a patch, I beat the DLC with only one char (out of 7 ready to play it) and felt that it was just worse than anything BB offers.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Don't want to derail this much but Ringed City, as the last piece of a series, hamfisted way too many high damage enemies. Sure it looks gorgeus but it isn't (for me) fun to fight enemies in that DLC at all.

So there goes my ratings (because I've played them during 2017 aswell!)

Bloodborne+The Old Hunters DLC 95/100
Dark Souls 3 90/100
DS3 Ashes or Ariandel 75/100
DS3 The Ringed City 68/100

:colbert:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

lalaland posted:

Recettear: an item shop's tale

Anime is not really my jam but this game is gdamn adorable. The systems of managing your store and dungeon crawling are well explained and work well together. The translation is extremely well done.

5 yayifications out of 5

Recettear is a good shop management sim with a dungeon crawler (not great but something that could come from the 90's) built-in. I've been playing it during last year and I give it 5 bacon out of 5 too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My score system is more like school tests: a 5 is just "pass", a mediocre game, while an 8 means the game is really good, leaving the 9s for the absolutely great poo poo.

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete edition: 9/10.
I beat this game like a month ago but I'll write something short. I don't think I'm going to say something new about it but, what kind of black magic is this? I have a PS4 slim and this poo poo looks great and runs smooth. Combat is awesome and once you start knowing how to deal with the different robots (human enemies are just plain easy) is a blast to run around switching between ammos, doing some crowd control then blowing stuff up. Inventory system is annoying and it looks like they had some kind of loot system for randomized weapons and stats but they ended leaving fixed weapons so once you get good coils variety stops there. Quality on facial animations and dialogs go from wonky at the start of the game to decent towards the end. The DLC vastly improves on that and the new zone is cool as hell.

Killzone: Shadow Fall: 4/10.
Coming from HZD I wanted to see why people didn't have much expectations for it because of this one. Now I understand. The game is the standard 2013 shooter. Nothing great, long scripted zones, simple maps and the shooting is decent but there goes all the bad things: weapon selection is awful. You can carry two guns but can only switch one and the ones you find on the ground are just different ARs and a shotgun. You can find the same AR with different sights but that's about it since the underslung attachments are boring and bad. I think that some of the locations, even if they waste the oportunity of having more "open" maps like the very first one, look cool and there are some decent setpieces.

Mother Russia Bleeds: 7/10.
As a Streets of Rage and Final Fight fan I'm always open to try beat 'em ups. While not a fan of the art, it does well on being clear and letting you know everything happening. The difficulty has some spikes and letting you choose from four characters with different movesets and stats. It's drat gory so that might throw some people off but actual combat is satisfying. The lenght of the campaign is decent for this kind of game and is an exelent couch co-op game. Score isn't higher because as I said, I'm not a fan of the art but is a solid game.