Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dying Light: G4F3

I really wanted to love this game. The writing is every zombie media you've ever consumed, which is fine; if you have a perfectly functional wheel at your disposal don't waste time & effort trying to come up with a different shape for rolling.

Basically I feel like the game had really promising concepts, but instead of going "Yes, and" with them & really leaning into the potential fun factor they had available to them, they went for a "Yes, but":
Yes there's fun parkour, but there are also a couple level-dependent breakpoints that unlock 'new animations' that totally throw off the sense of timing & range you've built up over the time it took to unlock it.
Yes there's a grappling hook that latches on to pretty much anything, but it's really clumsily disabled for plot sequencing purposes (I need to climb this really big tower, wish I had my grappling hook but that would let me accidentally/intentionally bypass the cinematic moments programmed to happen halfway up the climb! Or it would completely trivialize a climb that's instead a huge pain in the rear end!) & on top of that, it's relatively deep in the skill tree to unlock! I was around 70% through with the story by the time I unlocked it.
Yes there's a bunch of different melee weapons to bash stuff with, but it is better to ignore them entirely and use the handful of skills that knock enemies down & use the Stomp to one-shot them than it is to take out a high-end hammer or katana or whatever and take somewhere from 1 to 6 whacks to kill the same thing.

Two story things that made me laugh for the wrong reasons:
Five seconds into the plot you find out that your Only Tower Friend really wants to blow up a zombie nest, but nobody in the tower will let him because he's a) an idiot and b) a teenager, and besides that there's no explosives to be had! Couple missions later you find explosives and your partner reminds you of the previous point by taking a moment to explicitly state "DO NOT LET DUMBASS HAVE THESE TO BLOW UP THAT NEST". Needless to say dumbass immediately takes the explosives to blow up the nest, fucks up, gets bit & turns. This is somehow your fault.
About halfway through the story you help create a series of organized explosions & fires in a large tower to make a pattern, to show that there's still intelligent life in the city contrary to the news reports. The design you end up helping make? This face: :smith: The result? A fighter jet comes by and flattens the building literally seconds after the image appears.
Final boss: Instead of an epic towertop swordfight or even a mediocre gun battle, this is reduced to a series of quick time events, used in combat for the first time.

At the end of the day I had fun with it, I might go back to it, I will probably give DL2 a shot when it goes on sale/in a bundle/in the humble monthly, but I honestly just kept wishing this was Dead Rising style, where generic zombies get one-shot by almost anything instead of being a slog to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU