Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Life is Strange Before the Storm:

G4F4

Despite featuring a new dev team and voice cast (aside from a bonus episode that is) it was a worthy successor to the original and a good example of a prequel done right, with the new plot additions adding more depth to the first game's story. While not as involved as the original and a bit slow to start the overall plot still works well for what it is. Even the new voice cast does a decent job for the most part (my only real issue is with Samuel's replacement but he only appears once and talking to him is optional anyway). It feels overall like your choices actually matter a bit more in this one and it does some interesting things with the formula such as playing D&D and acting in a play. Like the original it has an excellent middle and a somewhat disappointing finale but is overall a pretty enjoyable experience and a lot of the more annoying aspects of the first Life is Strange are gone.

My only real complaints are that there is never any real punishment for failure and the Backtalk mechanic is never really utilized as well as it could have been (not to mention the fact that there are only a handful of times in the entire game where you actually have to use it). Also, the world feels a lot smaller than the first game with more compact areas and very few NPCs to interact with.

Night in the Woods

G5F4

Excellent game with a charming setting and colorful characters. Even though aspects of the the story have been done before it handles them just as well if not better than a lot of other games/media I've seen. Only real issues I see are that wandering around town can get a bit tedious (some sort of fast travel system might have been nice), the dream sequences are kind of repetitive aside from the ones at the beginning and end and I wasn't too fond of some of the minigames (such as the band sequences and a few puzzles on Gregg's side of the story).

Kirby Star Allies

G4F3

While Planet Robobot is still the better game this was still a pretty good effort. The helpers were actually useful and I liked most of the new powers. However it's also pretty short even by Kirby standards, most of the bosses can be beaten through sheer attrition, the ability mixing mechanic is nowhere near as in depth as Kirby 64 was and there honestly isn't much replay value after you're done aside from the Helper To Hero esque game that unlocks after completing the main campaign.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU