Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

SaGa Frontier A lot of you know this game by now. All the bizarre, arcane, unknowable mechanics of SaGa all in a package that needed to be Frankensteined to stitch up all the holes where the budget bailed. Charming and engrossing in ways only SaGa can be but with a load of problems that make it very hard to recommend to anybody. The embodiment of 'flawed gem' 55/100

Star Traders: Frontiers A forerunner in the 'fly around and trade things from planet to planet' genre, this early access game is the exact kind of thing that can consume the lives of people that hear its call. It's biggest flaw is that it feels like a game where you have to take notes because the game is terrible at letting you access the information you need at the time you need. 78/100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

lalaland posted:

Eador: Imperium

Tactical turn based RPG with shitloads of content but horribly horribly optimized. They found a goddamn savant to do their soundtrack.

3 acoustic guitars out of 5

Holy poo poo I love Eador.
I did not know a sequel came out...a YEAR ago?
Alright, how unoptimized can this be?
(developer literally appears in-game as an NPC and apologizes for how unoptimized the game is)
Well that's reassuring.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I love that game as long my ability to tolerate sailing west allows.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 7/10.

I spent over a week hyperfixated on this game but it's tough to say why.

I found the pseudo-MMO combat to be somewhat overwhelming in terms of figuring out what was happening. There are several mechanics I failed to understand or implement even towards the end of the game.

The overarching narrative was really good but it was filtered through the eyes of the sort of dopey, doe-eyed, oblivious optimistic MCs I've grown far too cynical to appreciate. Can somebody please put 1 and 1 together before I do? I'm not even that smart!. Can somebody please do or say something when the horrible villain du jour is on their bullshit other than spout cliches and/or repeating names under your breath? (Thank you to Eunie for occasionally not doing this).

The wide world was amazing to explore, especially when you realize you can find areas full of really strong creatures and just run through them an survive (which is something I absolutely love doing) but eventually it started to feel disappointing because there was seldom anything to find. It's one of those 'All your equipment is accessories games and you get 3 slots' games and 90% of the accessories you find are only useful in esoteric situations you won't even realize you're in until it's too late. Gold is almost entirely worthless (I made 1.5 million gold over the course of the game. I spent maaaaybe a little over 50k) and the Nopon coins arn't any terribly exciting either.

I guess the best thing about the game is how it drips feeds constant quest progress combined with class progress to you to enmesh you in a constant feeling of accomplishment and wonder at what's next.

Finally there's a part roughly 2/3rds in where the game decides it's suddenly Xenogears disk 2 and floods you with about 2 and a half hours of the Most loving depressing cutscenes you might ever see in a video game with maybe the occasional fight in between. It was miserable and almost put me off the game entirely.

Usually a game that gets its hooks in me this deeply would warrant a higher score but when I read my review to myself I couldn't justify giving a higher score than I did. Maybe this will make my top 10 this year but it will be on the back half for sure.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 26, 2022