Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (999) - sp 72/100 mp N/A

A visual novel murder trap/saw/battle royale game thing which intersperses its paranormal branching plotline with basic escape room scenes. I was told to play this by another goon, and it didn't disappoint, exactly, but also didn't surprise. Several puzzles were trivial or busted due to badly considered target areas for clicking. The plot is a combo of the cliches I'm used to from battle royale/dangan ronpa-styled settings, with an emphasis on characters periodically stopping all action to explain ideas from the wide world of pseudoscience which all, semi-coincidentally, wind up being relevant to the main story. I'd probably have enjoyed this if I didn't already know about all of these external ideas, leaving me to click rapidly through someone learning about, for example, what "ice-9" is.

As is common with these games, the consistency of puzzles both direct and ingame (the stuff you solve as the characters) and metatextually (the overall plot twists and setting) have several unearned "gotcha" moments. Still, the repartee between the characters are sometimes quite clever (the translators had a lot of fun with incidental furniture dialogue), the game includes some overall concepts that are new (to me at least), and it could certainly be much worse; the sexism's much less blatant than what I recall from the dangan ronpa LP, and few of the characters come across as morons, which is always the risk with this sort of game. The game comes as a two-pack with a sequel, Virtue's Last Reward, which I'm promised is much better (and hopefully doesn't rely on hex puzzles quite so much).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU