Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ooh, a review thread. I've gotten super into writing reviews over the last few years, and I've got a website and a curation group on Steam for the hundreds I've written. It looks like this thread is more for short ratings so I'll drop those in here when I do new reviews, and link to the wordy bits if folks feel like reading. I don't actually like rating systems but I used a 5-point one on my site just so it's easier for people to search by quality. Here's one I posted today:

Dragon Sinker - A retro JRPG that tries to imitate the original Final Fantasy without fully understanding what was good about it

Excellent - Good - Ok - [Bad] - Awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

To The Capital - An indie roguelike/JRPG hybrid with oddly deterministic encounters and combat, manages to be different enough to be interesting

Excellent - Good - [Ok] - Bad - Awful

The Deep Sleep trilogy - A trio of 20-minute horror point-and-click adventures you can play for free, featuring better pacing and atmosphere than plenty of paid games

Excellent - [Good] - Ok - Bad - Awful

Back to Bed - Bite-sized indie puzzler about guiding a sleepwalker through M.C. Escher-inspired landscapes

Excellent - Good - [Ok] - Bad - Awful

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 11, 2018

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

They Are Billions - Real-time strategy game where you build a steampunk colony and defend it against thousands (not hyperbole) of zombies

Dab on 'em Haterz - Casual time-waster about clicking on YouTube comments, exactly as fun as it sounds

Samorost - An old Flash point-and-click adventure about helping a space gnome save his asteroid, super charming and also free

Vertiginous Golf - Dystopian steampunk mini-golf, which might sound neat on paper but turns the whole experience into a cold, over-complicated mess

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Last month I went through a whole laundry list of indie platformers for the Steam thread, 29 in all. I reviewed some notable entries like Owlboy, Flinthook, Guacamelee, and a whole bunch of others all the way down to tiny one-man projects nobody's played. You can find the whole review list and a breakdown of how they rate right over here.

This month I'm playing a lot of new releases, and I started with the pixel-farming Minecraft/Harvest Moon-mashup Staxel. While they got the farming pretty right, they got the building pretty wrong. Every single block you build with has to be crafted, and you have to buy items to craft them, so it slows the potential fun down to a crawl. It'll still appeal to some people but only the most patient, focused farming-types.

Staxel: Excellent - Good - [Ok] - Bad - Awful

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Into the Breach: An amazing hybrid of turn-based strategy and puzzle mechanics that keeps you wracking your brain over how to survive just one more turn
[Excellent] - Good - Ok - Bad - Awful

Reveal The Deep: Short horror platformer about exploring a sunken wreck and experiencing the incredible atmosphere of that solitude (also will only cost you fifty cents)

Abandon Ship: Mashing up pirates and Lovecraft is a great idea, but this one borrows heavily from FTL without taking any of the really good parts