Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
A good thread idea! (I will do games I have finished because I try so many so much of the time nowadays that I would be bogged down)

Steamworld Dig 2
The is the last completed game of 2017 for me. I thought Steamworld Dig 1 was very charming and clicked with me well. The sequel does exactly the same. It takes the original ideas of the first and expands, essentially giving me more of what I wanted when I had finished the previous game!

The music is ace (I love the track that plays in the main hub) and I was totally engaged about learning what had happened to Rusty (the protagonist of the first).

Visually it is lovely and bright and shiny. Mechanically it controls flawlessly and whenever anything went wrong it was due to me and not the game.

I am still left wanting more!

Rating: G4F5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

If we are gonna have this thread i demand we use videogames rating system of GxFx please update the op thank you.

I appreciate you liking my rating system so much! :)

Dead Island
Rating: G2F5

Dead Island is an often maligned game and for a very good reason. While I did not play it during the time of release, looking back over that period was a time saturated by zombie games. Not only zombie games, but sprawling open world games with meaningless fetch quests used to pad out the number of hours you would spend playing a game.

Dead Island is a game that falls into this category quite succinctly and while for most people I can absolutely get why you would not want to play such a game. It is derivative and perhaps a little rote. It has quite a samey feel across the enemies and the crafting/weapon degradation can get tiresome.

Despite all these issues I have enjoyed myself immensely. I have not a clue why. This game is most assuredly janky. From the bizarre hit collision where your attacks will pass through enemies or you will get stuck on a box on the floor while being pummeled; Where some bigger enemies have a much longer reach than you, you need to get close to do damage and any hit from them results in you being catapulted backwards into a slow rising animation; to the bizarre tone of the ingame cutscenes. There is a lot that people rightfully did not like.

Often I will get frustrated at the large Thug type enemies. These are the aforementioned zombies with the long reach and devastating punch. When I attack them I run forwards then try to move back all the while ineffectively flailing like I am pretending to be a helicopter rotor. It looks ridiculous and usually gets me killed. Hours in this game and I still have not quite figured out a way to safely take them out.

As to what I do like? I like the atmosphere a lot! The idea of an island paradise turning into a horror movie is one you see in cinema a lot I know, but not in a game with such a kinetic mode of play. This is not the simple kind of press a button to hit, you have to aim your attacks like in The Elder Scrolls series. This is why I am more forgiving of the misses (even if I get frustrated) as in real life I would be panicking myself and most likely do the same!

The sound is top notch. There is quite a lack of music, but this is made up for in ambiance that captures isolation and terror. Some birds in the opening actually sound like the undead themselves and serve to heighten the unease you feel at wandering round such a large resort.

Playing the definitive edition and I can say that it looks good. The sunlight areas of the resort have wonderful shining and shimmering hazes and rays that filter through clouds. The city looks like a wasted mess over taken by the unsavoury element.

The story is nothing too spectacular and there are a whole lot of useless side quests, but I did them because I was enjoying the feel of the game. I liked to wander through Banoi like a half scared half heroic misfit and see the sights/keep myself alive. I wanted to see where things were going even if I could have predicted the plot beats ahead of time. I think the game was just lucky enough to capture me considerably. Perhaps I am the target audience of Dead Island?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

clone on the phone posted:

Can someone explain the GxFx system?

alf_pogs posted:

i think its a VideoGames original system -

g = game, from a technical point of view. is it well designed, have good art direction, sound design etc
f = fun. is it actually fun to play aka the real measurement

It is exactly that! :D

I know there are some games that are terrible, but I love playing them. Alternately there are some games which I may not enjoy to the same level as other people, but I recognise it is really well made and that my fun may be skewed.

It was a way to sort of reconcile my biases with certain kinds of game and give one biased number and one objective number.

Speaking of Games:

Everybody's Golf G5F5
Goodness am I having an utter blast with this! I had no idea a golf game could be so much fun! I used to work at a Golfclub and it was not pleasant, so I have been wary of the sport in all incarnations. I am glad I took a chance on this.

The game is wonderfully simple to play, but I have a feeling that the more you do it the more you will get better reflexes and understand how to play better as well. (Last night I sunk my first 39 foot putt!)

It seems like a big game and for a quick round of 9 holes it is a great time sink. I also love how some courses will tell you the average length of a game based on the holes! Good for planning.

It sounds awesome, looks awesome, feels awesome and is wrapped up in a truly wonderful package. I think this may be a top 20 game of all time!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Uncharted G4F2

Uncharted I feel very curiously odd about and I am not sure why. I never played it originally for the PS3, so this is my experience with the remaster. I played on Easy and I was terrible but not in the normal way where I am terrible but still having fun.

For almost all of the combat I did not have fun. I did not enjoy any of it aside from a few instances where I got to use the sniper rifle to take out some other snipers who had been constantly picking me off and the little plinks from my hand gun were doing nothing.

For the story and plot, I had tremendous fun! It was a rollicking old Indiana Jones esque fun time. Nathan Drake is mega charismatic (Nolan North just exudes sex appeal on a daily basis I am sure!) and I completely bought his chemistry with Elena and friendship with Sully. Some of the beats are exactly what I would expect from a swashbuckling serial adventure and it did not disappoint!

Occasionally I would groan as I would walk through a passageway that had been undiscovered for centuries and suddenly find myself in a gun heavy combat situation yet again! "How were those guys here? I thought I was the first to open the passageway?!" I would ask myself and sigh and try to get on to the story again.

I think the best way to make this a F4 or maybe F5 would be to remove the guns completely. Have it like a Batman brawler. Indiana Jones barely every shot people, he was a fisticuffs guy through and through! I would like that. If the combat had been punching the heck out of everyone instead, I might have been able to handle it better.

I am glad I completed this and look forward to Uncharted 2!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Celeste G5F5

Wow! What a wonderful experience! I am still powering through it (because it is totally kicking me to bits) but it reminds me of all the fun I used to have playing platformers on my NES and Megadrive.

Celeste has some of the best music I have ever heard in a video game. The very first track (first steps) is sitting proudly on my daily work playlist while I go about my business and fit in easily.

I love how difficult it is and I can attribute each death to not being good enough at that current moment in time. Eventually getting through the screen after realising how to and then collecting the strawberry too has made for awesome feelings of happiness (and reminds me of when I was collecting puzzle pieces in Braid).

I got the game because of the praise I was seeing across the forums and I can see it was absolutely the correct choice. Definitely going in my top 20 of all time! Maybe even edging into the top ten :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Well the back half of the list is a little maleable but the top two spots have been (so far) unwavering for as many years as they have been out.

- Portal 2
- Super Mario Brothers 3
- Quake II
- Mass Effect 1 or 3.
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
- Tomb Raider Anniversary
- Team Fortress 2
- Burnout Takedown
- Red Dead Redemption
- Celeste
- Diablo 3 (PS4 Edition)
- System Shock II
- Space Quest 4
- Sonic Mania
- Dead Space
- Crash Bandicoot 2
- Fallout 4
- VVVVVV
- Peggle Deluxe

If there is a well known and well loved game that is not here, the chance is high that I have not played it. I also know some might seem a bit ??? too but this is all honest love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

nachos posted:

Finally someone else with VVVVVV on their GOAT list

I own all of Souleyes music albums because of it. Passion For Exploring is my most favourite track and I hum it daily!

Real hurthling! posted:

Itsame the mario 3 agree-er

Not only is it just sublime and made on the same hardware as SMB1 (this always blows my mind) but it was the first ever game I completed as a kid :D This is the reason why platformers are my most favourite genre ever.