Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Matterfall is the rare game from Housemarque that falls prey to style over substance. It's a very pretty but empty game, with awkward controls and a serious lack of variety for how long levels are.

Jump is R1 rather than X, Dash is L1 rather than Square, and the titular Matter Gun is L2. The L1/L2 buttons get the most work in the game, and it's here where you will flub the most, pressing one button when you meant to press the other. The dash button freezes anyone in a radius around where the dash ends, while the Matter Gun is used to cause invisible walls/platforms to become visible/tangible (the matter in mattergun). I can't emphasize enough that the Matter Gun -cannot damage enemies-. But the game is not that hard, outside of the final boss, so why this matters is the score multiplier. You rack up multipliers by constantly destroying enemies, but each time you take damage, your multiplier drops a level. So it can be frustrating if you're working at 5-6x scoring, and then a couple of flubs later, you've completely lost your multiplier.

Levels take about 12-15 minutes to complete, which is not great because you ultimately are fighting the same enemies over and over. One new enemy type gets introduced in each of the three worlds, and that's just not enough to spice things up. It just becomes repetitive after a while. 9 levels and 3 bosses is also not a whole lot of content. The final boss feels like it would be a mid-game boss in any other game, and when you beat it, there's definitely a feeling of "that's it?".

Also this is not particularly relevant but the style of the game reminded me a lot of Strider 2014, which only made me feel like I could be playing a much better game than this one, the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU