Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

A time-honored tradition, scoring games, from the quaint old days of Quad-Score EGM reviews all the way up to the mass Review Bombing of our present moment.

All discussion is allowed, spoiler tags if you feel like it. Use whatever scoring metric you'd like. As a personal habit I'm not scoring things I bounced off of, but I leave that decision up to y'all. I have a habit of scoring the singleplayer and multiplayer separately, since some games ended up being big multiplayer hits for me even with average singleplayer. Personally, this is kind of a prep zone for my SA GOTY posts.

------

Gang Beasts - sp n/a ; mp 80/100

Hard to say why this game took so long to release since it barely seems any different from the early access beta I played 4 years ago. Was surprised to see that it has online multiplayer, and the netcode is as janky as the rest of the game. All that said, and buggy jank aside, there's something to be said for how erratic and fun Gang Beasts can be, mostly during local multi but also online. It's bound to make you laugh your rear end off every time you play, which might help reduce the shock of such a blatantly unfinished indie game being released at $20. Would love to seem this patched a bit, but for now it's a perfect one to play with friends when you're just trying to relax.

Persona 5 - sp 88/100

Incredibly fulfilling story though a fairly linear experience overall; the balance and integration between social aspects and palace crawling is impeccable, and the thematic designs of the dungeons are incredibly cool and varied. Add an awesome soundtrack, beautifully styled menus/transitions, and some of the best turn-based JRPG combat ever and it's hard to deny that other rpgs could learn a thing or two from the developers of this game. The exploration of the very strict social structure in Japan is handled in a way that is both appropriately mundane and incredibly timely. 150+ hours of great gameplay here.

others -

Observer - sp 70/100
Sonic Mania - sp 91/100 mp n/a
Inside - sp 86/100
Tekken 7 - sp n/a ; mp 81/100
Overcooked! sp n/a ; mp 90/100
The Last Guardian - sp 96/100
Final Fantasy XV (vanilla) - sp 82/100
Titanfall 2 - sp 87/100 ; mp 94/100
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - sp 85/100 ; mp n/a
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - sp 89/100 ; mp 75/100
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - sp 91/100
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - sp 72/100 ; mp n/a
Dark Souls 3 - sp 88/100 mp n/a
DS3: Ashes of Ariandel - sp 90/100
DS3: The Ringed City - sp 83/100
The Last of Us: Remastered - sp 95/100 ; mp 94/100
Alien: Isolation - sp 89/100
SOMA - sp 93/100
Tomb Raider - sp 82/100 ; mp n/a
Tricky Towers - sp 55/100 ; mp 84/100
Valiant Hearts: The Great War - sp 80/100
Bro Force - sp 60/100 ; mp 86/100
Helldivers - sp n/a ; mp 85/100
Rocket League - sp n/a ; mp 88/100
Spelunky - sp 83/100
Fez - sp 86/100
Strider - sp 88/100
Pix the Cat - sp 79/100
Don't Starve (vanilla) - sp 76/100
Hotline Miami - sp 87/100
Downwell - sp 69/100

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

downwell was pretty short but that still seems like a low score to me, i found it to be really well designed for what it was

I actually like the execution quite a bit, but I just couldn't latch onto it the way I did with Binding of Isaac. Maybe it's just a bit too spare for my taste.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

I think Games should have a Film Dump style subforum for game reviews.

eeehhhhh, that's more of a Shelbyville idea...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

NieR: Automata - sp 93/100 mp n/a

Route A thru E

Loved nearly everything here, the overgrown environments, incredible animation, and the darkly comedic (yet sympathetic) writing, not to mention the world-class score. The game attempts to subvert traditional videogame mechanics, thematic tropes, and narrative trends at every turn...and the art and music ingredients are so potent that the acts of subversion come together like an incredible book of intersecting short stories based around a central theme. Few games so fully employ their resources with such ambition, heart, humility, and self-searching. An absolute gem of this console era.

Now to replay on hard. :supaburn:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

If we are gonna have this thread i demand we use videogames rating system of GxFx please update the op thank you.

People can use the rating system of their choice. I'm curious about your take on Cuphead though.

alf_pogs posted:

no need to elaborate but goddamn this reminds me how great tf2's multiplayer was / is. was obsessed with it for a good long while, zipping around from building to building like a maniac.

Yeah, even without the myriad level styles I would play a 6-12 hour game of the gameplay loop in The Beacon chapter, which I guess was their original vertical slice. The fact that there is so much variety in the end almost feels like showing off. It's amazing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, I was getting the impression from people talking that the, I dunno what to call it, 'gamefeel'...or maybe just the response time of the controls and timing of animations doesn't always gel with all the background stuff, which basically causes unnecessary frustration in an already difficult game.

Still a hell of a good time to watch.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Use your words, my child. :redass:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Imhotep posted:

Did the same person rate Ashes of Ariendel higher than the Ringed City because that is loving bananas. Ashes of Ariendel feels like a side area in the main game, it doesn't feel that 'special' like a DLC, it's just visually monotonous and the boss fights, except for one, are just boring. The Ringed City, although it didn't meet my expectations after the hectic and beautiful beginning, was at least consistently amazing and had lots of varied and beautiful areas, the world collapsing in on itself is just amazing to look at at the very beginning of the DLC, and the huge drops into ash and through glass etc is just fun. It's obviously absurdly hard, but once you figure out a couple of key things it becomes doable. Ashes of Ariendel had neither the difficulty nor the interesting environment, I got lost all the time because it's hard to find your way around when everything looks like a snowy hillside.

I would be pissed if I waited for DLC and got that without the Ringed City, I played the game then the DLC immediately after.so it wasn't that bad, but I still was surprised when it ended because it was that underwhelming.

Bloodborne 99.5/100 SP 88 MP

The Last guardian 100/100 SP

Ashes of Ariendel: 65/100 SP

Ringed City: 86/100

Rime: 88/100

The Unfinished Swan: 73/100

Unravel: 82/100

If you're referring to me, I thought Ashes was the superior DLC compared to Ringed City. It had a real slimy Bloodborne-esque motif, and the two bosses on offer were some of my favorite in the entire series. Overall it felt very Castlevania-esque. Ringed City is by no means bad quality, and the two go together story-wise, but I thought it ended a bit like a wet fart, and despite how many huge drops and epic vistas are inserted into the level design the amount of play area was quite small

In terms of pacing, atmosphere, and boss quality I think Ashes has it over Ringed City hands down :shrug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Celeste

Literally one of the best platformers I've ever played. The pacing is immaculate, the sound design is ace, the characters/story are likeable and entertaining, everything about it feels goddamn good to handle and it gets a completely incredible amount of mileage out of a simple, intuitive and elegant set of base mechanics and basically it's just so loving good you guys it's unfair to most other indie platformers out there

9/10 climb that goddamn mountain

Yeah, Celeste is amazing from what I've played so far. I'll post a review when I play a bit more.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Monster Hunter World - sp 84/100 mp 94/100

As is evident from my scoring, this game absolutely shines when you have a few friends to troll around with and figure systems out with in tandem. As a single player experience it's still an incredibly full package, with awesome, punchy presentation, beautiful landscapes, incredibly animated monsters and deep combat and crafting systems. But there are so many auxiliary systems in play and so many tutorials that I've had much more fun trading secrets and grinding out quests with friends, if only to relieve a little of the burden of absorbing info. The online hookup systems can be a bit obtuse and poorly explained in that old Japanese way, but once you actually get into a quest and start tooling around, collecting, tracking, and tackling dinos...everything is so incredibly fluid, intuitive and customizable. I absolutely loathe most open world games but I must say MHW has got me loving hooked. It's the real deal, folks.

Celeste - sp 90/100 mp N/A

Tight, difficult, and gorgeous 'splatformer' from the same team that made Towerfall. Lovely story and presentation, and despite the simple controls/premise the level design is constantly upping the ante and introducing novel challenges. This game may be too hard for some (even with assist mode turned on), but it really deserves to be experienced by everyone. It must be mentioned that a huge part of why this game works so well is because the music is downright phenomenal, so good I was almost in tears after several levels. The music for the crushingly difficult B-side levels is also loving solid, and I noticed more than a few familiar names on the roster, including Ben Prunty of FTL fame. Celeste is a masterpiece of 2D platforming, and 2D storytelling in general. Absolutely the best platformer to be released since Rayman: Origins. If only it had a 2-Player mode!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Uncharted G4F2

Uncharted I feel very curiously odd about and I am not sure why. I never played it originally for the PS3, so this is my experience with the remaster. I played on Easy and I was terrible but not in the normal way where I am terrible but still having fun.

For almost all of the combat I did not have fun. I did not enjoy any of it aside from a few instances where I got to use the sniper rifle to take out some other snipers who had been constantly picking me off and the little plinks from my hand gun were doing nothing.

For the story and plot, I had tremendous fun! It was a rollicking old Indiana Jones esque fun time. Nathan Drake is mega charismatic (Nolan North just exudes sex appeal on a daily basis I am sure!) and I completely bought his chemistry with Elena and friendship with Sully. Some of the beats are exactly what I would expect from a swashbuckling serial adventure and it did not disappoint!

Occasionally I would groan as I would walk through a passageway that had been undiscovered for centuries and suddenly find myself in a gun heavy combat situation yet again! "How were those guys here? I thought I was the first to open the passageway?!" I would ask myself and sigh and try to get on to the story again.

I think the best way to make this a F4 or maybe F5 would be to remove the guns completely. Have it like a Batman brawler. Indiana Jones barely every shot people, he was a fisticuffs guy through and through! I would like that. If the combat had been punching the heck out of everyone instead, I might have been able to handle it better.

I am glad I completed this and look forward to Uncharted 2!

Yeah, it can be a bit of a slog when played today, but if the character chemistry and scenery is your main draw for the series you'll thank yourself later for playing UC1. Youtubing the cutscenes just isn't the same and it doesn't invest you in Nate, Sully, Elena like playing it does. Have fun with UC2!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Celeste G5F5

Wow! What a wonderful experience! I am still powering through it (because it is totally kicking me to bits) but it reminds me of all the fun I used to have playing platformers on my NES and Megadrive.

Celeste has some of the best music I have ever heard in a video game. The very first track (first steps) is sitting proudly on my daily work playlist while I go about my business and fit in easily.

I love how difficult it is and I can attribute each death to not being good enough at that current moment in time. Eventually getting through the screen after realising how to and then collecting the strawberry too has made for awesome feelings of happiness (and reminds me of when I was collecting puzzle pieces in Braid).

I got the game because of the praise I was seeing across the forums and I can see it was absolutely the correct choice. Definitely going in my top 20 of all time! Maybe even edging into the top ten :D

Glad you got to play it; I was worried that it would be too hard for a lot of people to enjoy, but it's just so worth it. Another game where the mechanics and player training through a difficulty curve actually ties into the story in a nearly perfect way. Just awesome.

I'd have a hard time coming up with another platformer on the planet that has a story this emotionally compelling.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's a game that is easily misunderstood.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rayman Origins and Legends are amazing, though Origins has a better platforming challenge and is more of an ode to classic platformers like SMB3.

Legends ramps up the presentation in exchange for dumbing down the challenge a little and gating the level layout in a Mario64-esque way.

Both are pretty loving sublime, all said, and I think a lot of credit goes to Ancel for kickstarting another 2D platformer boom back in 2011 when people had stopped caring about that poo poo entirely.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Legends contains origins best levels

Disagree. And the ones it does have it remixes in bad ways.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Looking forward to SC6 because it looks like it's goin back to the days of Soul Cal 1-3.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Trackmania Turbo - sp 89/100 mp 87/100

Amazing track design and addictive game loop. It's like Trials meets Cruisin USA and has the charm of an old Sega game. The graphics are sharp and the wrenches they throw into the mix via track design keep things fresh and freewheeling. You drift and take air like you're playing Rush, and there 150 tracks to start off with that grow increasingly more complex. Addictive single player.

The multiplayer throws you into perpetuating lobbies with 100 other people/ghosts competing for the best time simultaneously, and you can restart at the drop of a hat (you'll have to restart a lot because a single mistake can ruin the time of a run) until the 5 minute level timer runs dry. It's pretty rad to see so many people simultaneously attempting a perfect run, though I do wish there were also some Destruction Derby-esque modes with car damage etc, mainly because it would be so much loving fun to smash against other players on some of these courses.

Great way to kill time in small bursts.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

God of War (2018) - 84/100

First off let me just say that GoW is polished enough to serve extremely well as general appeal title, and I understand that many critics tend to value general appeal pretty highly these days, you know, when a game that has something for everyone it's easy to recommend. That being said, for such a prestige technical showpiece it really is a mixed bag for me.

The opening of the game is uniformly strong and the motivations for the quest feel solid and believable, but that consistency gets watered down a lot over the course of 25-30 hours. Near constant combat, fetch quests for keys in order to find orbs in order to find more keys, and tonal changes in the writing and voice acting sporadically occur all over the place and dumb down the original narrative motivation. There are several "princess is in another castle" moments that just completely stop the narrative dead in its tracks...and the technical prowess of the fixed camera in a single take cannot properly maintain the drama or support the strain of all the different "gamey" elements pulling for your attention, among them open world sidequesting, optional bosses, icon collectathons, upgrade trees, ubiquitous loot/chests and every other basic game system from the last 10 years.

I cannot avoid seeing the comparisons to a game like The Last of Us, the fingerprints are everywhere. TLoU uses tight, purposeful editing and perspective change to enhance our understanding of the characters, and every development choice (from HUD, crafting, in game conversation, shared puzzle solving, etc) seems like it was made to maintain cohesion with the central narrative, to not overshadow it or undermine it for a cheap thrill. God of War feels like it wants to be several different kinds of games at once, and it shows. It uses the single take as a parlour trick to cover up some really mundane writing and clunky traversal, especially the boating, climbing and platforming which are simply cases of bad implementation. The combat takes a good while reach a point where you are fighting a diverse set of enemies using a diverse set of skills, but when it does reach that point it gels really well, and puzzle solving using the throwing axe is uniformly satisfying even after 20 hours.

That parlour trick is pretty loving impressive though. The graphical prowess on display here is loving flawless from start to finish, and though I feel like the down-to-earth cinematic presentation is really at odds with the material (especially when the heavy, tactical combat is juxtaposed with cinematic Man of Steel-esque ubermensch fist battles that inevitably result in awful QT events)...Santa Monica's depiction of an impersonal, brutal and contradictory mythological realm really deserves to be seen and traveled. The voice acting ranges from great (Kratos, Mimir) to dodgy (Atreus, Freya, the smiths) to awful (Baldur), but the soundtrack is remarkably solid and complements the major events well.

GoW tries its hardest to be a crowd-pleaser rather than take risks, and it has a lot less nuance than its presentation tries to let on. Nonetheless it's a much better sequel/reboot than this series ever deserved and is worth a rental for most people, though perhaps not a purchase.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 8, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Yakuza 6
G5f5

The only game better than this is yakuza 0

I need to play 0. What are the main mechanical/narrative differences between 6 and 0?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Endorph posted:

the main mechanical difference is playing as majima. In addition, you spend money to level up Majima and Kiryu, and enemies drop tons of money when they die, with more money given for things like beating enemies with Heat moves, chaining Heat moves, and not getting hit. Majima also starts out in an entirely separate city from Kiryu.

In terms of narrative, Yakuza 0 is a prequel to the entire series, and takes place in '88, during the height of Japan's boom period. The entire thing's very neon, very glowing, everyone's got tons of money to throw around. Yakuza 0 captures the time and place very well, so if you've got any interest in modern Japanese history it's interesting for that. Plus it's just a fun era to set a video game in, with so many high level Yakuza trying to make a quick buck and a bunch of hapless conmen to beat up. Since it's a prequel, Majima and Kiryu also have very little tying them down, so the story takes on a bit more of an 'Adventure' feel.

Nice, thanks. I look forward to diving into it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Trials: Fusion - sp 90/100 mp 88/100

Incredibly tight SP level design, easy to learn and hard to master. Extreme tracks are just too much for me.

Online MP is addictive fun, but is also marred by a lame, nearly broken voting and scoring system.

Until Dawn - 89/100

"Understand the palm of my hand, bitch!"

Designated one person to play the game while three others watched, directed and theorized about choices, so it was kind of a singleplayer/multiplayer hybrid experience. The jump scares in this game never got old, and the dialogue is both campy and exceedingly well written, humanistic, and often hilarious.

We managed to save everyone but Josh, who had his head smashed, which was amazing. This is a great game to play with a few friends over 2 or 3 sessions of a few hours each.

Lip syncing is totally out of whack but it's an endearing sign of being developed for a different gen, however the environments and effects look great. The cast is really quite great (especially Rami Malek, holy poo poo!) and the story will keep people guessing at the game's twists, and a few of the characters that start out poorly end up being super entertaining. A good horror game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Windjammers - sp N/A

mp(offline) 90/100
mp(online) 80/100

Amazing couch multiplayer game that is simultaneously shallow and yet filled with intricacy and competitive possibility. A number of retro stylings are available and the 2D graphics are slick enough to still be entertaining. Net code for online is pretty good but the player base is limited. Would make a fantastic PS+ game, but it's definitely worth $10-15 for anyone who likes couch competition.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Into The Breach - sp 92/100

Huge FTL fan here and I'd been waiting for a long time to hear if Subset was working on anything new, but I guess I dropped the ball because this game launched so quietly that I only heard of its existence by word of mouth.

Into The Breach is an awesome followup to the resource management of FTL. The art and UI design is incredibly slick while retaining a certain visual continuity with FTL's classic spritework design, even down to some of that game's fonts. That's about where the similarities end because Into The Breach is far more about strategic positioning and attrition than it is about resource management and dialogue options. Thankfully, similar to FTL, Into The Breach has a ton of unlockables and variable custom parts/teams.

The basic team you start with is a bit vanilla and underpowered, but after losing 5 or 6 times straight, which is sewn into the game's progression system using a brilliant thematic blend of [Pacific Rim meets Live. Die. Repeat.] , I started to unlock custom pilots and mech squads using the medals system that's provided, and it's all just so loving ADDICTIVE.

The 8x8 grid is deceptively simple at first, but there are a ton of environmental options that mix with the rotating enemy types, mech squads, and numerous abilities, and each small mission plays out like a desperate set of hierarchical last-ditch circumstances, with random flavor text popups from the various mechs doing situation analysis of the battlefield and even crowd reactions from civilians housed in the buildings you're trying to save!

In addition to the lovely spritework, menu transitions, and sound effects...the music is simply fantastic, a blend of drum beats, glitches, cello swells, and guitar fingerpicking that changes from battle to battle. After FTL's incredible soundtrack it's nice to see Ben Prunty back on board with another incredible set of tunes that's different enough to distinguish itself from the previous game.

I highly recommend that any sci-fi strategy fans out there jump on this gem of a game and throw Subset a little cash.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 5, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hollow Knight - sp 83/100

I can tell a lot of work and thought went into this, and I'll be honest I was quite taken with it at first, for say 15 of the 40 hours I put in. After that first 15 though I think I just started plinking away at areas out of obsessive collector's obligation. And by the time I finally gave up I had been carving away almost thoughtlessly, not really taking anything in. The music is understated and nice but nothing to write home about. The bosses are a missed opportunity for me, and I just don't think many of them are very fun in the end. I dunno, I definitely got more than my money's worth, I suppose, but I just feel a bit blah about the whole experience and I can't really figure why. I guess it's harder to fill Symphony of the Night's shoes than I previously thought.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Soul Calibur 6 - sp 85 mp 95

I suppose the single player score and the multiplayer score kind of blend on this one because most of my time has been spent making custom characters and then taking them online to fight against strangers. On the one hand the story modes are only decent, on the other hand the core mechanics are so loving good that taking up arms against another human (be it in local VS or online matchmaking) is absolutely addictive. The Reversal Edge mechanic is brilliantly maleable, accessible for newbies but incredibly deep if you want to spend the time learning everything about it. This release of SC is far more lean than previous iterations in terms of features and presentation but the essential gameplay elements feel far more considered and balanced and it's hard to deny how drat good it looks at every step. One of the best 3D fighters I've ever played.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Echo - sp 75/100 mp N/A
A very interesting, original experiment that goes all in on its idea, but is maybe a bit too taxing on player patience.

Rainbow Six: Seige - sp N/A mp 94/100
Learning curve aside, the best tactical FPS I've ever played, and next to Titanfall 2 some of the very best shooting ever released. I didn't rate the situation missions as single player content because they're basically essential tutorials for multiplayer.

Gravity Rush Remastered - sp 79/100
I lovely, charming proof of concept with great art and music. Sort of unfinished and rough around the edges.

Gravity Rush 2 - sp 92/100
Bar none the best falling/flying ever offered in game form. Amazing art, world, momentum, humor, music. Amazing fun. A few boring side missions.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - sp 93/100 mp N/A

from goty thread

It came down to engagement with mechanics, as it usually does for me. Control had the edge on atmosphere (which is pretty wild since it was going up against FROM) and arguably I could say that Control's ideas are a bit more profound and politically engaging in our conspiratorial age...but where Control reveled in chaos blowing poo poo every which way, Sekiro honed its storytelling and vision of interactivity into a diamond of focus, held its breath and executed without hesitation, without submission or compromise to the whims of a larger community, contemporary design trends, without huge day 1 balance patches, without any form of multiplayer, or lootbox, or microtransaction, or even DLC...and honestly, in some ways Sekiro feels more like a game from the early 00s, tested in advance so thoroughly because they knew they had to get it right the first time.

Not only that but Sekiro shows FROM delivering in specific ways that may have been considered outside of their range up until now, since very few people expected this small studio to be creating such a mechanically dense and extremely responsive combat engine. Surely some eyebrows must've raised at Capcom & Platinum this year as FROM, a studio known for environmental storytelling, fatrolling, and flavortext delivered the most finely tuned swordclashing combat ever seen. On top of that is a surprisingly complex and ambiguous story about principle, corruption, and dueling political ideologies in a changing world, a story that meditates on the kind of legacy we're going to leave the youth of this world after we're gone. I found it touching, stoic, tragic, bizarre and pretty badass. Sekiro excels at choosing the terms of engagement and performance for the player with utmost precision, then delivering calculated reward on those terms at levels both micro and macro. Mixed together with such a unique, weird, and remarkably personal interpretation of Japanese history and mythology, it deftly swipes the credential of GOAT sengoku ninja game, as well as my personal GOTY. Long live the Masochistic Psychogamers!

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - sp N/A mp 80/100

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - sp 89/100 mp N/A (currently)

from goty thread

Another kickstarter game hitting the scene that honestly has no right to be this good! Up front I should note that SOTN is my favorite game ever, and the very idea of trying to follow it up at all is kind of a tall order. I respect Bloodstained because it doesn't really pretend that it can outclass SOTN at its own game, it just focuses on paying homage and blowing the dust off what is already a perfected formula. A lot of talent from the original SOTN team returns to mix anime, vampires, and hardcore synth-rock once more into a wild, old-school concoction...the result is nostalgic, huge, fun, colorful, and challenging. Now where's my DLC!?

WipEout: Omega Collection - sp 85/100 mp N/A (haven't played)

Dandara - sp 90/100 mp N/A

Thumper - sp 88/100 mp N/A

Towerfall: Ascension: The Dark World expansion - sp meh/100 mp yup/100

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 22, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol i never wrote the text for my poo poo. maybe when rarity makes the end of the year thread

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Horizon Forbidden West - sp 88/100 mp N/A

Enjoyed this game a lot, connected with it much more than the first one though they share many of the same issues in open world design. That said, if you're going to design an ubisoft style open world this does feel like the way to do it right. As with HZD the story has some uneven spots in terms of presentation, but in almost opposite ways from the first game. HZD struggled to make its foreground events feel meaningful while its historical logs delivered a very dramatic arc, though it came late in the game. HFW has a much more meaningful immediate narrative but its flow is truncated by an open-ended quest structure and dialogue that is similarly janky at times, so far a series trademark. In terms of mocap artistry Guerilla is no Naughty Dog. That said, the gameplay is greatly improved in nearly every way. The traversal options are so much smoother now and really thrilling to use, and combat is more defined now with interlocking areas of specialization that must be engaged with mindfully in order to have a balanced loadout. The combat is frenetic and fluid and the character animation, sound design, and music are all first class. Obviously HFW is sort of a placeholder chapter for something bigger in the story to come, but I'm excited to get there, and this game was freaking beautiful.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

BP shamelessly bumping he own thread - 0/100

:getin:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 20, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Resident Evil 3 - Remake: sp 87/100

Much of what I'm going to say about RE3make also applies to my feelings of RE2make, but I played 3 first and liked it a bit more. It kind of worked out tho because 3 is just as much of a prequel to 2 as it is a sequel. It definitely has a bit less puzzling than 2 so at times it can feel more on rails. All in all it took me 2 hours longer to complete than Leon's A route in 2, so I'd estimate that they are roughly the same length but just parsed out a bit differently. The banter between Jill and Carlos is great, and at this point it's safe to say that the only dev doing better face/voice/mocap work than Capcom is Naughty Dog. Jill just looks remarkable and as a protag she's a joy to play, incredible animations, always says the right quip for the situation, and cutscene direction is fabulous. The game just looks exquisite. In general I think RE3make is balanced a bit better than 2make, though the boss fights are more tedious, and there's one room defense moment halfway through that was kinda lame, but my overall first impression of the tech and passion on display in these REmakes is very high, they are genre showpieces as well as simply fantastic reinvigorations of a franchise that kinda lost its way a while back.

Resident Evil 2 - Remake: sp 85/100

I played 2make directly after 3make and really liked it, in some ways even more. There's a lot more backtracking in this one, though some parts of the pacing and level design feel more well rounded than 3. Leon is okay, Claire is meh, and Ada is badass as always though her puzzle segments feel sort of misplaced. The route A/B thing is less fleshed out than it was in the original game, but for those who want to there is still a lot of replay value to this game, a fitting tribute for the original. The police station has been lovingly fleshed out and the art direction and graphical tech on display is great. The use of the Tyrant in the main plot is a bit of a mistep though, both narratively and mechanically it's a bit of a fumble. I also didn't care for some of the puzzles or sim aspects like boarding up windows, etc. Ultimately I don't think it's as well balanced and there is way more inventory chess, but the shooting felt slightly better, I dunno why. There are some QoL features missing and the biggest thing I missed mechanically was Jill's dodge move from 3make. Overall a loving tribute to a classic game with some real wow setpiece moments, and I loved seeing some of the interstitial story moments from different angles across both games, but I just enjoyed playing as Jill more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Inscryption - sp 90/100

Great writing, art, music, scenario design, deep gameplay mechanics, whimsy, mystery, hardcore puzzle solving, absolute rabbithole of a game. So many old-timey genre references buried deep within, so many clever ways to break its own mechanics and twist its own themes, and in general just full of remarkable surprises that I won't talk about because whatever you do please into this game blind. So much love went into making this game, what a ride.