Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I've been playing old games lately.

Pokémon Snap: I never had this game growing up but I got it at the local retro store for cheap. The concept is great; it's basically a rail shooter, but you're taking pictures and trying to get the best pictures and catalog all the pokemon. What kinda sucks about it, is that it only feels like half a game. It doesn't have all 151 pokemon in it, it doesn't full explore the concept of getting special situational pictures, and the whole thing is over after a couple days of casual play. It really is a drat shame they never revisited this concept, because I could have seen a Gamecube, Wii, or especially a WiiU sequel being really fun by building off what they started. With more pokemon, more levels, more secrets, being able to save more pictures - just more of everything, really - this would be a game that still holds up today. Maybe I should go find a copy of Afrika on the PS3 and see if that continues to scratch my itch of taking pictures of things. 6/10

Donkey Kong 64: If there was ever a game that encapsulated everything bad about the N64, it's probably this. This is not a game that aged well, if it was ever really good to begin with. The controls are terrible, the camera is atrocious, the framerate is painful, the padding is annoying. The whole concept of swapping Kongs to get the massive number of collectables wouldn't be so bad if the level design was better, and there weren't so many terrible missions. If you cut the number of bananas in half, you'd have a much tighter experience, and you could get rid of/refine some of the more broken missions, like a race I literally had to glitch to finish, or Beaver Bother, which is bugged and makes it significantly more frustrating than it should be. Avoid replaying this. 3/10

Games I did some LPs for recently.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4: These games still hold up really well. I played bits of 1, 2, and 3 for some footage, and couldn't stop playing them because I was having so much fun. THPS4 changes the style up a bit, with bigger levels and missions scattered around for you to activate and finish, rather than a list and a time limit like in previous games. The mission-based gameplay would get refined later on, and some missions are frustratingly hard, but this is still a very good game, especially if you just wanna screw around and skate in some big levels. 7/10

Ghost Master: A PC strategy game where you boss around various ghosts to scare the poo poo out of people or complete more puzzle-style of objectives. You get more ghosts by freeing trapped spirits in levels, and you can buy new powers to make your ghosts even stronger. It's a really great concept, and I guess my only real complaint is that they didn't/couldn't do more with it. While you'll have a large selection of ghosts, you will find yourself using the same few each time because you built them up more or they're more well-rounded for any situation. Plus, you can't replay missions and use ghosts you got later on in them (unless you use a mod). You will also have to make decisions on what powers to get, locking out others and just not being able to afford upgrades for every ghost. It also doesn't do enough with the different attributes for humans so you can usually just get through most levels by doing the same tactics each time, instead of needing to focus on sanity or exploiting fears. Still I had a lot of fun with this, and kept replaying levels just to try new things or just to try for a better score. 8/10

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams: I went into this expecting a generic platformer and ended up with a game that is oozing with style. The music and visuals are really great, and the concept of "twisting" the world is really clever. Giana has two personas, and each one has their own unique skills. Things in one version of a world might change in the other, which is used to make progress or find secret areas. Levels can get pretty long, especially if you're collecting all the gems, but the challenge is just right and, when you start to get better, it just feels really, really good to tear through the levels in style. 7/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Puyo Puyo Tetris: We have seen in the past how companies can manage to gently caress something up as simple as a tried-and-true puzzle game. Just look at when Ubisoft put out a Tetris game. No seriously, look at this.

So I'm happy to say that Puyo Puyo Tetris does not gently caress anything up. You can play traditional styles for both games (even changing the appearance of pieces to be more retro), or you can indulge in the newer mechanics like quick drops, piece holding, and ghost markers. On top of that, the various modes mix up gameplay quite a bit, from screen-clearing puzzles, to a party mode with items, to alternating between both games in a single match, to a mode that merges the two games into one. The variety here means there's something for everyone.

There's also an adventure mode, which is a deliberately silly story explaining why Puyo Pop and Tetris now share a universe. You watch cutscenes (still images and voice-acted text), you play a match, you see another cutscene, etc. You can earn up to three stars on each match, depending on your skill, so you can push yourself to replay missions and do better. My only complaint is that some of the cutscenes drag on WAY too long (you can skip them though), and the adventure mode feels a bit too bloated. I've 3-starred 45 levels, and that's apparently the halfway point. You can ignore this part of the game, but it seems to be the only way to unlock new backgrounds and music (there are other unlockables you buy with credits, earned across any game mode). It might also be the only way to unlock new characters. So if you wanna just skip the cutscenes and play 90 different matches, go ahead.

I'll aslo note that there are achievements for playing online and winning online matches. On the PS4 version, at least, there were 0 players last time I checked, which means you won't be able to 100% the achievements, if that matters to you. Or, you know, if you were looking forward to playing against people online. This game is less than a year old. :/

Still, it's a great game with plenty of variety and 4-player local multiplayer, so it should be great for you and/or a group of friends. 8/10

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 1, 2018

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

Puyo puyo tetris (switch)
G4f5

I love swap mode so much but fusion mode loving blows imo and needing to learn it to clear story mode is a pain in the rear end.

Otherwise incredibly fun game. Online works well and a ton of great content

I don't think Fusion is bad at all. Just very hard to wrap your brain around, but it plays perfectly fine with interesting mechanics if you want a challenge of playing two puzzle games in one.

Glad to hear the Switch has a good online community, and I think Steam does too. The PS4 version is absolutely barren.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

Idk about community, i just play people i know on discord. :shrug:

Im glad someone likes fusion i guess. Do you also like party mode with the items too? I hates em. Swap only 4 life

I just appreciate that they offered so many different options and modes. They coulda just put basic Tetris and Puyo on one disc and sold it for $20, but they went that extra mile and included so much stuff in there.

Party Mode is a bit lackluster, in that I'm never paying close enough attention to know what powerup I'm triggering or will be triggered on me. I'm too busy looking at my play field and trying to match poo poo up. Also since you only have one powerup on your field at a time, you don't get to choose. You also typically wanna trigger the powerful quickly and get a new one to spawn so they don't get buried, but it would be nice to have the ability to "hold" a powerup and use it at a more convenient time. Still, it contributes to the variety of the game which is pretty neat.

The only real drawbacks, I'd say, are that there isn't an endless mode for Tetris, and that you can't play as a little onion found in the story.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know what gxfx means and at this point I'm afraid to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Banished

This is one of the hardest city builders I've ever played. You need to be constantly growing and expanding your village, but you need to do it at just the right pace. Too fast, and your population will boom and start consuming resources faster than you can collect them, and they'll starve and die. Too slow, and your population will get too old and birth rates will drop and you'll have nobody to refill your workforce with and they'll starve and die. It's a tightrope.

Everything's available to you from the start, with the only progression being that you can trade with ships to obtain new crops, trees, and livestock, but there's no real difference between anything and it's more just trying to fill out a list of items. There are achievements, but they can be quite difficult to get and also serve no purpose to gameplay. The only mode here is "survive as long as you can" with a few different options for terrain, map size, starting materials, weather, and disasters. No scenarios or challenges. Just try to walk that tightrope for as long as you can until it all goes to poo poo.

Being so hard and everything feeling the same no matter how far you get makes this a game worth passing up. It has mod support so maybe you can find mods to turn it into a fun game.

4/10