Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Arx Fatalis: A TTLG game I never played. Also a release from Arkane studios. It has a very strong ultima 9 feel, of being ambitious but also jank, which is a good description of it. Lots of early 90s I don't know what to do because what I'm supposed to do and what the instructions in my journal say do not line up. If you decide to cast spells (you should, the game is extremely annoying if you don't), you have to cast them by tracing runes on your screen. You get to find out why nobody ever does that in games because it really sucks. Be slightly off on a 90 degree angle while in combat and you gently caress up your spell. You can precast them and use your hot keys, but then what was the point of tracing out your stupid spells? :spyduck:

Spoilers. Go ahead and read them to find the wet fart of a story

For those of you who have not played, the sun got put out and everyone had to move underground with all the other demi-human races. Then, some guy decides to summon an evil demon God, and they're sacrificing people to bring him back which makes everyone mad. The Gods send you to put a stop to the summoning of the demon god thing. There's a plot with the king that has a reveal that would've been interesting if it had any stake in the plot. You find out at the end that they're summoning the evil demon god to bring the sun back, but you stop him because that's what you're supposed to do. Then your handler shows up and says congratulations and you can't stay and have to go back to heaven or something, and you leave and they still have no sun. There's no signs if this is morally grey or anything, it just isn't addressed and nobody mentions it. Then the game just ends. :ok:

Less charm than Ultima 9 with all the jank. I give it 2/5 since at least they made most of the skills at least somewhat useful. Just pick any skill-build and run with it and it's pretty viable. I went pure caster and beat the two hardest bosses by them getting stuck and letting me just sit there and fail tracing spells over and over. The end.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Baldur's Gate 2 B+ The companion writing that would help make Mass Effect a generational hit is present in BG2 in a way that it isn't in 1; and I say that as someone who prefers the first game for it's low level D&D mechanics and it's greater emphasis on wilderness exploration.

The combat was rough for the first few hours, but eventually your party hits a stride, encounters get much more routine, and you can enjoy an RPG that, notably, seems much more willing than its successors to give companions unhappy outcomes.

The railroading and time constraints, both genuine and illusory (a lot of quests are explicitly written as urgent when they mechanically aren't, but some actually are, which is a bad mix) are as bad as I'd always heard and they nearly made me quit the game. It isn't simply a matter of getting past these side quests, either, because accomplishing your companions personal requests accounts for a majority of everything that isn't the main quest mile stones.

But once the party stopps harassing me with mutually exclusive demands and the dungeons stop feeling so punishing, its clear why this game was always so highly regarded, and a large part of it is the excellent writing and acting, and that sense Baldur's Gate 2 can stand against of the RPGs that have come after.

I replayed this in preparation for BG3. Mechanically, you’re just at a disadvantage until your party gets some good armor. I forgot how much of the “skill” in playing the game is just knowing what’s around the corner and either preparing or abusing the game engine.