Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Garrotte. Or Garrette? Why does that sound like a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Garrotte him, so he can't raise the alarm.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Hitting him with a shuriken gives him a chance to scream, which is the last thing we want right now. Choke him out.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 17, 2018

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
If we didn't have Detect Traps, I'd think sneaking across the floor with various things on it might be dangerous. But we do have that skill, so garrote since it doesn't seem like we have a non-lethal choice.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 165 posted:

You step quietly forward, the garrote wound between your hands, ready to slip over the neck of the first mate. Suddenly he catches a reflection of you in the ax he is sharpening and whirls round to fight you, his long rat-tail mustache quivering.

Will you use:

An Iron Fist punch? Turn to 398.
A Forked Lightning kick? Turn to 403.
A Dragon's Tail throw? Turn to 416.

Shuriken is a bit more efficient here, and allows us to knock off 6 Endurance points before the fight.

Page 398 posted:

Your fist explodes towards teh first mate's face in a blur of motion.

First Mate posted:

Defense against Iron Fist: 6
Endurance: 13
Damage: 1 Die + 2

If you have killed him, turn to 366.

If he is still alive, he hefts his ax at you in a downward chop. Your Defense against this attack is 8.

If you survive you may either try a Forked Lightning kick (turn to 403), a Dragon's Tail throw (turn to 416) or another punch (return to the top of this paragraph.).

Page 403 posted:

You avoid the first mate's vicious ax swing and then launch yourself forward, your foot driving towards his abdomen and then his throat.

First Mate posted:

Defense against Forked Lightning: 8

If you have killed him, turn to 366.

If he is still alive, he comes at you with his ax in short criss-cross swings. Your Defense against this attack is 9.

If you survive you may either try an Iron Fist punch (turn to 398), a Dragon's Tail throw (turn to 416) or another kick (return to the top of this paragraph).

Page 416 posted:

You slide across the wooden floor to wrap your legs around those of the first mate, hoping to use your momentum to send him tumbling.

First Mate posted:

Defense against Dragon's Tail: 7

If you have thrown him successfully you may either use the Iron Fist punch (turn to 398) or the Forked Lightning kick (turn to 403) adding 2 to your Kick or Punch Modifier and damage for this attack only, as he struggles to recover his balance.

If you have failed to throw him, he swings his ax at your midriff. Your Defense against this attack is 6.

If you are still alive you may use the Iron Fist punch (turn to 398 or a Forked Lightning kick (turn to 403.

Not the most spectacular fight, but Dragon's Tail isn't a total wash. We ended up making it out with only 4 Endurance lost.

Page 366 posted:

The first mate falls to the floor dead beside his ax, his broken body pummeled by your blows. You may collect a shuriken if you used one.

The first mate's personal effect hold nothing of interest, but there is a Brass Key on the chain around his neck, which you take with you (add the Brass Key to your Character Sheet). You exit back out to the lantern-lit ship's corridor.

If you have already been to the hold where the oars are manned, you return straight there. Turn to 36. Otherwise, will you:

Cross the corridor to the door with the snoring sound, assuming you have not been there already? Turn to 248.
Take the door at the end of the corridor? Turn to 348.

: Enough of this. Let's add Liberator to our eventual list of titles.

Page 36 posted:

You quietly rouse the nearest slaves from their slumber, tell them that you are here to free them all, and set down the Brass Key - remove it from your Character Sheet. They simply stare at you uncomprehending as you pull yourself back up to exit the hatch, but soon you known the ship will be in chaos. You overhear them starting to act, freeing themselves from their shackles, as you make your way back to the deck. With the oars useless, all you have to do is render the sails equally so to complete your night's work.

Turn to 418

: ...I guess all that slaving kinda takes some of the oomph out of getting free. Well, at least I feel good about myself.

Page 418 posted:

You hurry back onto the deck, into the cold night air. From below the decks you can hear a disturbance as the freed slaves come into contact with the sailors. A samurai guard cross your path, rushing towards the hatch; you sweep out his legs, using his momentum to propel him face-first into a crate. You move upwind and toss the clay flask against the mast where it breaks, using your flints to set it alight. On this signal, the Catechism should start its sail out of Iga harbor.

The sailors on the deck panic as they see the gathering blaze, some calling for archers, some running to fetch barrels of water or sand, and some running in to tackle you. You explode into motion, twisting your body to lash out with both foot and fist at once, flooring the nearest two sailors, then make with all speed for the side of the ship. You have barely gone three steps when a terrible buzzing sound stops you cold. Hornets swarm forth seemingly from nowhere, coalescing in the air before you. Your skin crawls as the cloud settles as alighting on the flesh of an invisible man. Then bloodshot eyes snap open within the cloud and you known you have seconds to move.

You gamble that the figure can be wounded at all and rush to the attack before the mage can cast a spell. Will you use:

A Tiger's Paw chop? Turn to 37.
A Winged Horse kick? Turn to 43.
A Teeth of the Tiger throw? Turn to 51.

Our choice here may actually matter. Unless it doesn't. But if it does...

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Endurance: 16/20
Inner Force: 4

Acrobatics
Climbing
Picking Locks, Detecting and Disarming Traps

Kick Modifier: +0
Punch Modifier: +0
Throw Modifier: +0
Fate Modifier: +0

Inventory: Shuriken x 8, Iron Sleeves, Breathing Tube, Ninja Costume, Garrote, Flash Powder, Flint and Tinder, salted and cured spiderfish

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari, Ittan-momen, Bofu's rep, Bandit x1, Pit Feeder, Hainu x4, Jikininininininininininiki, Bakeduo, Sailor x4

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Monkey, I mean Tiger Paw!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Throw!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Throw the hornets overboard, its the only way to take them all out at once.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Teeth of the Tiger is the coolest move of those three, so clearly it's the best. Go with that.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Grappling with a man made of hornets sounds like a terrible idea, so that's what we have to try - THROW.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Throw the bees overboard!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Decoy Badger posted:

Throw the bees overboard!

: Hornets, but the sentiment remains the same.

Page 51 posted:

You propel yourself through the air, your legs outstretched to wrap around the swarm that gathers itself in the semblance of a man.

Mage posted:

Defense against Teeth of the Tiger: 5
Endurance: -
Damage: 1 Die

If your throw is successful, turn to 389.

If not, then the false body shifts out of your grasp in an unnatural fashion, bending where neck and spine would break. A burst of hornets flies free to sting you. Your Defense against this is 6 and there is no way to block.

If you are still alive you may use the Tiger's Paw chop (turn to 37 or the Winged Horse kick (turn to 43).

Both the kick and punch options here have a Defense of 6, so well chosen, thread. Except painedforever who had the hairbrained idea to punch a swarm of hornets. I mean, seriously, punch a swarm of hornets?

Page 389 posted:

As you connect with the figure of the mage his eyes vanish and his form breaks apart. The swirl of droning insects spirals out towards you. Your first instinct is to leap back, yet behind yourself you feel the heat of the gathering fire. Will you:

Leap downwards into the smoke to shelter from the hornets? Turn to 201.
Race for the side of the ship to dive into the sea? Turn to 211.
Launch yourself into a Leaping Tiger kick against the swarm? Turn to 221.

: Ha-HA! Eat it, bees hornets!

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Endurance: 16/20

Acrobatics
Climbing

Inventory: Shuriken x 8, Iron Sleeves, Breathing Tube, Ninja Costume, Garrote, Flash Powder, Flint and Tinder, salted and cured spiderfish

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari, Ittan-momen, Bofu's rep, Bandit x1, Pit Feeder, Hainu x4, Jikininininininininininiki, Bakeduo, Sailor x4, hornets x some

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Ratatozsk posted:

Both the kick and punch options here have a Defense of 6, so well chosen, thread. Except painedforever who had the hairbrained idea to punch a swarm of hornets. I mean, seriously, punch a swarm of hornets?

I'm sorry, I had to. Can you imagine? We would've been a ninja... covered in bees hornets!

Fine. No more punching the stinging insects.

Leaping Tiger kick!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bees can't swim. Overboard!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

This ship is hosed anyway, time for a swim.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sorry, painedforever, I think the Metal Gear boss you’re trying to make us emulate was kinda lame. These insects don’t want to cooperate with the idea either.

Jump into water. It helped us evade the hornets last time we fought, iirc.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
So wait, the throw not only worked but was actually the best option? :psyduck:

Yeah, we already know they can't attack while we're underwater, so dive in.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Getting off the ship quickly seems the most important bit - dive into the sea.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
DIVE DIVE DIVE.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 211 posted:

You sprint for the side of the ship, slamming a sailor out of the way who tries to block your path. The swarm of hornets overtakes you though, coalescing over the ship's rail to form a lethal obstacle before you. Roll one die and take the result from your Endurance. If you still live, you are forced to flee back to the center of the ship, where the deck fire spews smoke and flame.

Turn to 201.

Rolling...(2)

: Damnit, why couldn't I have hucked that sailor into the hornet swarm?

Page 201 posted:

You hold your breath as you hasten into the choking smoke. The heat and fumes are overwhelming, and your eyes stream, but you can just make out through the haze that the sailors are diminishing the fire by pouring sand over it. Even so, you cannot survive for long here. Will you:

Climb up the rigging through the smoke? Turn to 80.
Keep the smoke between you and the swarm and make a dash for the ship's wheel? Turn to 267.

: Why couldn't it be snakes? Or ogres? Or Jikininininin...things. I can deal with those!

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Endurance: 14/20

Acrobatics
Climbing

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari, Ittan-momen, Bofu's rep, Bandit x1, Pit Feeder, Hainu x4, Jikininininininininininiki, Bakeduo, Sailor x5, hornets x some

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

You fools! You foolish fools! Did you think it would be that easy?

Make for the wheel! Also, let's light candles in our beard like Blackbeard, and be a demonic pirate ninja, and rule the seven seas!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Amen to the Blackbeard plan! To the wheel!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Ninja take the wheel.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I don't see how climbing will help us against an enemy that can fly. Go for the wheel.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 267 posted:

You back out of the smoke, coughing and blinking your eyes. The swarm hovering on the other side of the smoke has not spotted you yet. The slaves start to clamber out onto the deck, fighting desperately with the crew of the Cutter. Some of the sailors and samurai spot you and you must keep them at bay as you move for the ship's wheel. You release a flurry of thrown shuriken to repel any who draw too near.

You risk a total of five attacks as you cross the deck. Every shuriken you throw repels one attack - cross these shuriken off of your Character Sheet. If you do not have enough shuriken, or otherwise use less than five total, the remaining enemies each make an attack on you against a Defense of 6, and if successful will deal one die of damage to your Endurance. You have no time to block in the mob.

If you survive, you see that the swarm has started to move towards you, the sound of chanting emanating from it, a giant glowing bloodshot eye forming at its center. Three grey lacquer samurai rush in on you too, katana raised to claim you as a kill.

You throw aside the sailor at the ship's wheel and spin it wildly, causing the ship to lurch starboard, sprawling the samurai to the ground and sending smoke into the swarm. The hornets that you still see hover and then die, but the giant red eye emerges, floating and disembodied, and is wreathed in a green glow as its dread spell finishes.

Turn to 355.

We have plenty of shuriken for this task.

Page 355 posted:

The giant red eye floats over to beside a sailor and bursts over him. The man screams as he is covered in blood which bubbles as it eats into his flesh. The spell takes hold and he grows taller and bulkier, while his skin and viscera drop from him to reveal a pulsing, twitching mass of muscle. The skin around his face has melted completely to leave a grinning skull with burning red orbs of malevolence where its eyes should be.

All those still on the deck flee in terror. You must confront this abomination which approaches you with slow inevitability, its clawed hands outstretched.

Will you use:

A Tiger's Paw chop? Turn to 321.
A Winged Horse kick? Turn to 334.
A Dragon's Tail throw? Turn to 345.

Page 321 posted:

The horror rasps the word 'ninja'. You respond with a chop at its neck.

ABOMINATION OF DEATH posted:

Defense against Tiger's Paw: 5
Endurance: 20
Damage: 1 Die +1*

Every time the Abomination damages you, you also lose 1 Inner Force point. If you have no Inner Force when you are damaged, you die instantly.

If you have defeated the Abomination, turn to 377.

If it still fights on, it slashes at you with its clawed hands. Your Defense against this is 7.

If you survive you may either try a Winged Horse kick (turn to 334), try a Dragon's Tail throw (turn to 345) or another punch (return to the top of this paragraph).

Page 334 posted:

A cackle emerges from its blood-slobbering jaws. You twist and unleash a Winged Horse at the horror's temple.

Defense against Winged Horse: 6
Damage: 1 Die + 1*

Every time the Abomination damages you, you also lose 1 Inner Force point. If you have no Inner Force when you are damaged, you die instantly.

If you have defeated the Abomination, turn to 377.

If not, then it bites at your leg with force enough to cripple. Your Defense against this is 7.

If you survive you may either try a Tiger's Paw chop (turn to 321), try a Dragon's Tail throw (turn to 345) or another kick (return to the top of this paragraph).

Page 345 posted:

You slide forward to entangle the abomination's legs in your own, seeking to end it crashing to the deck. It is freakishly muscular, but imbalanced.

Defense against Dragon's Tail: 6
Damage: 1 Die + 1*

If you are successful, then you may follow up with a punch (turn to 321) or kick (turn to 334), adding 2 to your Modifier and damage for the next attack only.

If your throw is not successful, the abomination with stamp you underfoot. Your Defense is 6.

If you survive you may either try a Tiger's Paw chop (turn to 321) or try a Winged Horse kick (turn to 334).

The numbers aren't terrible here, but that penalty for a successful hit isn't nothing. However, we have enough points of various type to squeeze through, and that's all that matters at this point.

Page 377 posted:

Your blow sends the horror crashing to the deck where it twitches in paroxysm. You stamp on its grinning skull head, smashing it, and its glowing red eyes fade to nothing.

None of the cowering sailors or awed samurai dare to challenge you in this moment, but you scarcely dare catch your breath. You look out to sea and spot the Catechism drawing closer. You demolish the ship's wheel with three powerful kicks, which seems to awaken the crew from their stupor. They start to rush in but you run over to the side of the ship and leap into the waiting sea.

Turn to 303.

: Yoink!

Page 303 posted:

You swim towards the Catechism from where a rope is thrown down for you. You look back and see that the Cutter has veered off course, and cannot catch your ship now.

You are hoisted up the rope by Gorobei, who greets you with a powerful clap of his hand on your back. The Grandmaster of the Dawn is there too, smiling at you. 'You have more than proven yourself as the first amongst ninja,' he says, 'and for that you have earned something I have dared to entrust to no other.'

Still dripping and exhausted, you bow before the Grandmaster, telling him no reward is necessary.

'Throughout this trial you have learned about who you are, and for anyone such enlightenment is the greatest gift. But for your help to your fellow brothers of Kwon in defeating the Cutter, I will give you the reward of death. It will not be your death, though, but that of your enemies.'

He hands you a small corked gourd containing a liquid. Mark on your Character Sheet that you now have the Blood of Nil.

'This is the most virulent of all poisons,' he says. 'I have carried this with me for nearly a decade ever since my greatest battle against an abomination from the Void. I now entrust it to you, who brings death to the evils of Orb. You, ninja.'

You handle the gourd with care and awe, and bow once more, deeply. Then you head below the deck where you rest as your wounds are tended by two monks. Your voyage continues on, and you may restore any lost Endurance, Inner Force and ninja equipment.

As you prepare this equipment, you gather up five shuriken, one for each trialist on this cursed journey, and hold them in the palm of your open right hand. You vow that you will one day gain vengeance against the mage who wreaked such violence against so many, just as you will gain vengeance against Yaemon for the murder of your foster-father. You close your hand until you feel the jagged edges of the metal cutting into your flesh. Subtract 1 Endurance Point.

Then you place the blood-stained shuriken into your ninja costume - note on your Character Sheet that you have five shuriken.

Turn to 420.

: HIGH FIVE.

: But, I-

: I DEMAND A HIGH FIVE.

*smack*

: OWWW! I hope you enjoy that fist full of clot.

: WORTH IT.

Page 420 posted:

The Catechism slips through the dark waters at night, speeding towards the Island of Tranquil Dreams. You stand pensively at the prow and turn your thoughts to the final trial to prove yourself worth of the title 'Grandmaster.' You are to face your fellow contestant Gorobei in single combat, and then face a further test, the nature of which is secret to initiates.

The waves rise and fall all around, crashing against the hull of your ship. You think of the considerable hardships you have endured to come this far and the contestants - the friends - that you leave behind.

No one can doubt that you have proven yourself beyond all expectations. Some speak that you may even surpass the Grandmaster of the Dawn one day. Your thoughts turn to Naijishi, your foster-father, and how proud he would have been had he lived to see this day. You still feel his loss keenly, a wound that may never heal. You vow that you will confront Yaemon and any other evil that sets itself against you and your brethren.

You know that your time is coming.

That's it for Ninja! It does a pretty nice job setting the stage for Avenger but at the same time feels like an adventure in and of itself and not just some shoehorned cash-in. I'll hit points we didn't visit in the books over the next few...let's be honest...weeks, and then eventually move on to the real book 7. Please drop a mention of any specific points that piqued your interest and I'll be sure to cover them.

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Endurance: 19/20

Acrobatics
Climbing

Inventory: Shuriken x 5, Iron Sleeves, Breathing Tube, Ninja Costume, Garrote, Flash Powder, Flint and Tinder, salted and cured spiderfish, Blood of Nil

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari, Ittan-momen, Bofu's rep, Bandit x1, Pit Feeder, Hainu x4, Jikininininininininininiki, Bakeduo, Sailor x10, hornets x some x 2, Abomination of Death, an innocent ship's wheel

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Ooo, what a ride! I'm just sorry I didn't get to make any comments like, "Fall, chaos spawn, in the name of the Emperor," or "Bees to meet you."

Wow, that Grandmaster, what a tease! "I give you the gift of DEATH. But not for you, for your enemies. You're cool. You get to live."

Totally not evil.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm assuming none of our fellow contestants (besides Gorobei) could survive, grab a flag, or be mentioned again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I think the mystery evil mage is supposed to be Manse, minor villain from Book 1, but it’s never confirmed.

• Locked thread