Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
How is our endurance 17 now (wasn't it 16 earlier)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

ulmont posted:

How is our endurance 17 now (wasn't it 16 earlier)?

You're correct. I caught that while editing through but combat posts in this series are mess so I lost it track of that edit in the midst of others.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We know traps, so let's risk the traps.

yello
Nov 28, 2000

Jesus Fucking Christ I posted in a stupid GBS avatar thread and some piece of shit saddled me with this spiteful nightmare fuel.
Grimey Drawer
We’re the kind of ninja that would head for the trap house.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Slip of and take a risk.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

We can climb, we can tumble, and we can get past traps. Let's go off first. No wasted time!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Risk the traps.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Risk the traps

(and then probably die to a poison arrow trap or something because we didn’t take Arrow Cutting or Poison immunity)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Risk the traps and show we not some any mere Ninja.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Trap house!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Follow her to the secret tunnel. We were good, so surely this is our reward?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 266 posted:

You glide silently like a shade across the grass and then pull yourself up onto the tiled roof of the main entrance building which offers an excellent view of the courtyard and the structures therein. Starting from the inner side of the building where you crouch, a roofed walkway extends through the courtyard to the inner building where great moths the size of a sake cup flutter, drawn by the soft glow of lanterns.

You spot three ronin patrolling different parts of the courtyard, each holding a lantern. They appear diligent in their search pattern, even stopping every once in a while to note each other's position, although you judge that there is a small window of opportunity to slip past them across a shadowy gravel rock garden off to your left.

The noise of chirping cicadas fills the air around you as you ponder your next move.

Will you:

Descend and steal across the rock garden area to the inner residence? Turn to 243.
Proceed along the roof of the covered walkway to swing down at the far end? Turn to 253.
Drop down behind a ronin and garrote him, hoping to either slip past or kill the other guards should the opportunity present itself? Turn to 263.

This is where we would have ended up if we'd have ignored the un-engaged ronin. Just an FYI for those who don't obsess over the specific pagination like I do.

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Endurance: 16/20
Inner Force: 3

Acrobatics
Climbing
Picking Locks, Detecting and Disarming Traps

Kick Modifier: +0
Punch Modifier: +0
Throw Modifier: +0
Fate Modifer: +1 (because Fate works in mysterious ways)

Inventory: Shuriken x 5, Iron Sleeves, Breathing Tube, Ninja Costume, Garrote, Flash Powder, Flint and Tinder

Body Count: Ronin x1

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We probably can't take on all three Ronin and they'll notice if we kill one. I vote we proceed via the roof of the covered walkway. Inept Enemy Guards almost never look up. :D

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Proceed along the roof of the covered walkway to swing down at the far end? . We got climbing right?

yello
Nov 28, 2000

Jesus Fucking Christ I posted in a stupid GBS avatar thread and some piece of shit saddled me with this spiteful nightmare fuel.
Grimey Drawer
Why risk the ground when we can travel in style on the roof?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Along the roof.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Roof!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Take the high road.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ratatozsk posted:

This is where we would have ended up if we'd have ignored the un-engaged ronin. Just an FYI for those who don't obsess over the specific pagination like I do.

I appreciate that - it's always interesting to see how the writers are trying to reuse as many of their paragraphs as possible while giving you choice flexibility.

quote:

Drop down behind a ronin and garrote him, hoping to either slip past or kill the other guards should the opportunity present itself.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Anyone else notice/appreciate/ponder over the patterns in page numbers with a particular update’s choices? 243/253/263 in this last one, and this is far from an isolated thing.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I bet the author learned to program in BASIC and the lesson about leaving enough numbers between lines so you could add stuff if you needed to stuck with him.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Take the roof.

I forget, has the author hinted if the moon is out at all? That would make the roof a terrible idea if so!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Unless Avenger's a werewolf! Then if the Moon is out, going to the roof is an excellent idea!

Wait, Avenger's not a werewolf.

Never mind.

:D

Sorry for the dumb joke. I still vote we try the roof, although I do agree about the moon.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 253 posted:

You keep your head low to blend in with the roof against the night skyline, and slither along, freezing whenever you to take the guard movie nearby.

Do you have the skill of Picking Locks, Detecting and Disarming Traps? If so turn to 309.
If not turn to 319.

Page 309 posted:

As you inch across the roof, your senses straining, you detect a trip wire running from eve to ridge, almost invisible in the darkness. You raise the trip wire slightly with your breathing tube and ease yourself under it, before retrieving your breathing tube and continuing on. You soon find yourself on the roof on the opposite side of the courtyard. You wait until attention of the patrolling ronin is elsewhere before dropping down to continue on along the wooden floor of the walkway into the into residence.

Turn to 356.

: I'd like to see Gorobei pull that off. Ignoring the fact he'd plummet straight through the roof, there's no breathing tube in the world long enough to ease him under that.

Page 356 posted:

You creep along a gloomy corridor, pausing outside a set of doors to listen for any sounds in the night.

You hear someone’s deep, restful breaths coming from inside. You use a shuriken to cut a small slit in the paper panel of the door, peeking into the large room which is led by a single, flickering candle. No more than 20 feet away, asleep on the futon in an otherwise sparsely-decorated room is a middle-aged man dressed in a purple kimono - presumably Mutari. Laid out on the wooden floor at his side of the sheath katana the hilt of which is decorated with diving falcons.

There is no sign of danger, so you slide open the door, stepping into the room before sliding it shut behind you.

You remain still, sensing something is amiss. You look around the outer edge of the room for any hidden guards but can find none. Mutari stirs in his sleep, rolling over with a sigh and murmuring before going back into a deep sleep.

Do you have the skill of Picking Locks, Detecting and Disarming Traps? If so turn 245.

Otherwise, will you:

Grab the falcon katana, kill Mutari and then escape? Turn to 67.
Garrote Mutari in his sleep and then grab the falcon katana? Trying to 89.
Hurl a shuriken at Mutari, and then rush in to grab the falcon katana? Trying to 134.

Page 245 posted:

You tentatively place a toe on the next floorboard, and a subtle movement confirms your suspicions. The floor all around the futon is a nightingale floor, designed to make noise like a chirping bird when stepped on in order to warn of someone's approach. Any greater weight put on the floorboards will waken Mutari, who would in turn alert the whole complex.

Will you:

Hurl a shuriken at Mutari, and then rush into grab the falcon katana? Turn to 134.
If you have the Climbing skill, use your cat's claws to climb across the wooden ceiling to avoid the nightingale floor? Turn to 168.

: Guard nightingales, eh? You slick bastard.

Evidently these floors are a real thing!

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Endurance: 16/20

Acrobatics
Climbing

Inventory: Shuriken x 5, Iron Sleeves, Breathing Tube, Ninja Costume, Garrote, Flash Powder, Flint and Tinder

Body Count: Ronin x1

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I vote we use Climbing. No Nightingale Ceiling, right?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Let’s climb and deliver death from the ceiling!

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
We have a climbing and wish to use it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Climb.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Two excellent skill uses deserves another. Climb!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 168 posted:

You attach the cat's claws to your hands and feet, and stand on the top of an urn to raise yourself up to the wooden ceiling where you begin to crawl along like a spider. You lightly drop down to the floor beside Mutari and slip the garrote around his neck, squeezing in one sharp moment to sever his windpipe before he even wakes. You have no qualms about killing the tyrant in this way; you are trained to assassinate evil in the world that the weak and powerless cannot reach.

You collect the falcon katana and strap it to your back before crawling back along the ceiling. You drop down at the edge of the room, taking off the cats claws and exit the room quieter than a whisper. Your work for the night is done and you seek out Singing Wind.

Turn to 324.

: "I will vanish into the night...walk among men without being seen." And make your entire traphouse and gang of overpaid guardians look like child's play.

Page 324 posted:

You make your way back to Singing Wind and the others, and stand proudly as you present her with the falcon katana.

She gently takes it from you, thanking you for your service. She reaches into her kimono and hands you a folded piece of silk. You open it to reveal a purple flag bearing a black moon, trimmed with gold.

Note on your character sheet that you have the Flag of Lemne. You have earned one of the two flags needed to undertake the final test to become a Grandmaster.

As a group you hurry out of Singing Wind's grounds and return to where her palanquin bearers and two samurai await. Singing Wind says you are welcome to rest overnight on her ship in the harbor, but you decline saying you must continue on to compete for another flag. She places a hand on your chest and murmur is a blessing to Illustra. You may restore up to 2 lost Endurance.

Daon and Gorobei change back out of their palanquin bearer clothes and into their monks' habits. Daon advises that he needs no rest, bows and leaves at once. Aiko changes from her ninja suit to the straw hat and golden robes of a priestess of Io, Prince of Peace and Weal. Then, with a smile to you all, she disappears into the night. Gorobei strikes out too, his gaze filled with steely determination.

You change into the robes of a simple traveler and ponder your next move - Suma and Nara are closer, but also closer to your competitors. You only need to find one more flag.

Will you:

Leave Lemne along the northern route to the castle at Suma? Turn to 167.
Leave Lemne along the southern roads to the ancient city of Nora? Turn to 177.
Take advantage of your head start and leave Lemne cross-country, heading west for Takahiri (the disreputable City of Bridges) or Nasaka (the capital city)? Turn to 187.

Sticking with the group places you in a Fate Roll. Winning, you're pointed towards a secret passage that bypasses the courtyard, pops you into Mutari's room with a warning about the floor. If you lose the roll, Gorobei grabs the short straw and waltzes out with the flag, one minor katana wound to the chest behind where he started.

BTW, the illustrations in the book are of horrendous pixelated quality. All the training ones I've copied from my old LP and they have apparently done the same with lower resolution. However, the internet has provided a better copy of the island map, included now in our character sheet.

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Endurance: 18/20

Acrobatics
Climbing

Inventory: Shuriken x 5, Iron Sleeves, Breathing Tube, Ninja Costume, Garrote, Flash Powder, Flint and Tinder, Flag of Lemne

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Let’s go to Nara.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Nasaka, see the capital.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Nasaka sounds good to me too.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Can you get more than 1 flag? Head west for Takahiri (the disreputable City of Bridges) sounds like a nice place.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
I do like the sound of the disreputable City of Bridges.

yello
Nov 28, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Disreputable? Sounds like exactly the kind of place we want to go.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
They all seem like much of a muchness to me, so:
Where to next?: 1d3 1 Let's go to Suma!

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Takahiri.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 187 posted:

You abandon the white paved road and jog cross-country, with the sunrise at your back. It proves to be too boggy underfoot in the valleys to be easily traversable, and too steep and craggy in the hills to make travel any easier there, yet you continue on tenaciously. There are no tracks or farms at all in this wilderness, although you do spot a wooden shrine to Eo on a distant hill, tended by golden-robed priests.

Your attention is drawn directly ahead though, as you see a long strip of white cloth fluttering in the wind, trapped on the branch of a plum tree. There seems to be some writing on it, but it is hard to make out as the cloth keeps flapping. You approach and think you can make out the sigils of Death, Lord of Sorrows on it.

Suddenly the cloth breaks free of the branch and streams directly towards you. You go into a roll underneath it, and as you spring to your feet you watch in disbelief as it changes course and veers back in on you again.

You have heard of such an entity only in horror stories, for you are sure that this is an Ittan-momen, created by a high-ranking follower of Death.

Will you:

Use your flint and tinder to light a branch and set the Ittan-momen aflame? Turn to 142.
Snare it in your hands and force it to the ground first? Turn to 217.
Toss a shuriken (if you have any left) to pin it to a nearby tree? Turn to 259.

: For Kwon's sake, THEY NEVER SAID THERE WOULD BE AIR EEL MUMMIES TO CONTEND WITH!

: IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL ANY BETTER, I HAVE SPENT THE LAST HOUR GRAPPLING A FOOT GOLEM, SUMMONED FROM THE ELEMENTAL PLANE OF FEET.

: Seriously?

: HA, NO. I RESCUED A SMALL VILLAGE FROM AN ILL-MANNERED ONI AND THEY ARE REPAYING ME WITH A SPIT-ROASTED DEER AND ENOUGH SAKE TO INCAPACITATE A LESSER MAN *BELCH*

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Endurance: 18/20

Acrobatics
Climbing

Inventory: Shuriken x 5, Iron Sleeves, Breathing Tube, Ninja Costume, Garrote, Flash Powder, Flint and Tinder, Flag of Lemne

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yello
Nov 28, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Kill it with fire. Maybe we can burn down the forest too.

• Locked thread