Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
We are the Archer of ninjery. Thus we must tell him that we are a ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 214 posted:

Rin listens to your tale patiently and agrees to help you any way he can. 'Kwon is an honorable god, and one whose follower fight well. I have trekked these lands and known the movements of the Bakemono tribes - I can guide you a safe route ahead, if you will travel with me.'

You need to get to Iga quickly and safely, but are used to journeying alone. Will you"

Agree to his help? Turn to 229.
Say you prefer to work alone? Turn to 64.

: Well, I often ninj alone, but things worked out OK with Daon and Goro...

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Endurance: 20/20
Inner Force: 4

Acrobatics
Climbing
Picking Locks, Detecting and Disarming Traps

Kick Modifier: +0
Punch Modifier: +0
Throw Modifier: +0
Fate Modifier: +0

Inventory: Shuriken x 5, Iron Sleeves, Breathing Tube, Ninja Costume, Garrote, Flash Powder, Flint and Tinder, Flag of Lemne, Orb of Eo, Flag of Takahiri, salted and cured spiderfish

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari, Ittan-momen, Bofu's rep, Bandit x1, Pit Feeder, Hainu x4

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 22, 2018

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Tsk. Hellfire. Decisions, decisions...

Agree to his help.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
And things will work out with Dore, Glavias, Foxglove.... Maybe not that last one. Accept help, hope we can trust this guy.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Ratatozsk posted:

Kwon is an honorable god, and one whose follower right well

Uh...?
But anyway, accept his help.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nah.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Agree.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Agree. Onward, meatshield!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

Uh...?
But anyway, accept his help.

Corrected

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Take the bait. Just don't call him that to his face.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Co-op action!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 229 posted:

Before you leave with Rin you undertake a quick search of the grove and the surrounding area, finding a dropped shuriken which you may take if you wish.

You continue on with Rin leading the way. He leads you deeper into the woodland, where shadows dance on the forest floor cast by the swaying tree branches overhead.

You pass some time in conversation. Rin tells you that he earned his moniker 'Rin of the Three Blades' in a sword duel. 'With my katana knocked from my grasp, I fought on with my wakizashi until it became tangled in my opponent's armor. In the end, I had to draw my knife to finish the fight...and I won!'

Rin begins to take a route through the dense bushes, and he cautions you to avoid the spike ferns that have shredded the lower part of the hakama tied around his legs.

'The Bakemono are out in massive numbers, more numerous than cherry blossoms in spring,' he says, 'so I must lead you to the one place they are too superstitious to near; the ruins of Mishina. It once saved me from a tribe who were tracking me.'

The name of the city is familiar to you - it used to be the capital of the island until it was destroyed more than three hundred years ago in the great civil war which ruined whole cities and clans. It is said to be a place of ill-fortune that few seek out, but Rin assures you it is worth it to avoid the numerous tribes of savage Bakemono who now frequent the forests.

By mid-afternoon your cross-country hike has led you out of the forest to an overgrown and broken stone road, that leads on to the ruined old capital of the island, Mishina.

Turn to 260.

: Yak-tossing, Archaeology...so many ninja Disciplines to master once life slows down.

Page 260 posted:

It is twilight when you first sight the city of Mishina, with its crumbled walls and twisted wrecks of half-burnt buildings - a deformed parody of the once majestic capital it once was.

'It was once the greatest jewel in this island before the most damnable war befouled it,' Rin says. 'We should not enter, for it is said to be claimed only by the dead now, but as long as we are nearby no Bakemono will disturb us.'

You both make camp a comfortable distance from the city, eating a meal of seven-spiced rice that Rin shares with you from his provisions. He insists that he takes first watch, saying you look exhausted from your struggles, and you settle down for a brief sleep.

You sleep fitfully, dreaming that you are treading water on a dark ocean. A ship cuts through the waves towards you, and on the prow two familiar blood-red eyes suddenly blink open. Below them appears the dark pit of a mouth, darker than the ocean's depths, waiting to swallow you. You kick hard through the water, but you cannot escape this massive bulk of the ship as its mouth sucks you into an icy blackness.

You awaken in a cold sweat. Despite your disturbing dream, you regain 4 points of lost Endurance. Rin hurries over to you, his voice little more than a whisper.

'Movement,' he says, pointing, 'over there by the city wall. We must go, quickly!'

You stand and see the dark outline of dozens of misshapen forms, clambering over the remains of the city wall. They make a grotesque gnashing, gurgling noise as they draw nearer. You and Rin hurry into the forest, but a creature bursts out of the undergrowth to grab your comrade.

Turn to 219.

Page 219 posted:

Rin draws his katana to fight the abomination that is grabbing at him. You step forward to help but a second large, grotesque creatures steps out of the undergrowth before you. It is green like a gangrenous wound, with a mouth of dagger-like teeth and no other evident facial features save for pulsing pustules, ready to burst.

This is Jikininiki, a mutant offspring of the god Nil, Mouth of the Void - a cruel abomimation that wanders the wild places in search of the dead. You must defeat the Jikininki. Will you try:

A Cobra Strike? Turn to 162.
A Leaping Tiger kick? Turn to 175.
A Whirlpool throw? Turn to 202.

Page 162 posted:

You retreat a step or two to draw the Jikininki in, and then you lunge forward with a quick Cobra Strike.

Jikininki posted:

Defense against Cobra Strike: 6
Endurance: 14
Damage: 1 Die*

*Every time the Jikininki damages you, roll another die. On the roll of a 6, it gnashes at you with its dagger-like teeth to double the damage.

If you win, turn to 273.

If the Jikininki is still alive, it tries to crush you with its muscular arms. Your Defense against this attack is 7.

If you survive its attack will you perform a Leaping Tiger kick (turn to 175, a Whirlpool throw (turn to 202) or punch again (return to the top of this paragraph)?

Page 175 posted:

You fall back a step to lead the creature in before springing up and whipping your right leg at it using a Leaping Tiger kick.

Jikininki posted:

Defense against Leaping Tiger: 7

*Every time the Jikininki damages you, roll another die. On the roll of a 6, it gnashes at you with its dagger-like teeth to double the damage.

If you win, turn to 273.

If the Jikininki is still alive, it tries to crush you with its muscular arms. Your Defense against this attack is 7.

If you survive its attack will you perform a Cobra Strike (turn to 162), a Whirlpool throw (turn to 202) or kick again return to the top of this paragraph)?

Page 202 posted:

The Jikininki tries to grab you. You step inside and block it, trying to transfer your weight to throw this monstrosity over your hip to the ground.

Jikininki posted:

Defense against Whirlpool throw: 7

If you are successful, you may follow up witha punch (turn to 162) or a kick (turn to 175), adding 2 to your Kick or Punch Modifier and damage for this attack only as you strike at its prone form.

If you are unsuccessful in your throw attempt, the Jikininki tries to crush you with its muscular arms. Your Defense against this attack is 5.

If you survive its attack will you perform a Cobra Strike (turn to [b[162[/b]) or a Leaping Tiger kick (turn to 173)?

You'll have to trust me that this didn't go as smoothly as our last tussle and left us 8 Endurance points down.

Page 273 posted:

The Jikininki falls dead, its putried green flesh a cold blubbery mass. Suddenly its pustules burst, spraying out pus and ichor. Lose 3 Endurance unless you have the Immunity to Poisons skill.

If you are still alive, you see that Rin has beheaded his opponent with his katana, and slashed the arm of another that has appeared.

You call on him to fall back as you see countless other shapes moving through the dark forest, and you both hasten away from the area, running until daybreak before you take some rest upon a hilltop to ensure you have lost your pursuers.

Did you travel with Rin on the approach to Mishina?

If so, turn to 292.
If you did not, turn to 314.

...make that 11 Endurance points...

Page 292 posted:

'I now see why no one on the island dares to go near Mishina!' Rin says, catching his breath. 'You fought well against those...those things.'

He offers to apply a field bandage to any of your wounds, and you share more rice from his pack. You can restore up to 2 lost Endurance.

'I am not going back in that direction if I can help it,' Rin says, 'and Iga is still my goal. I can offer you the protection of my blade and my experience with the forests if you still want to continue together.'

Will you:

Travel on with him, believing it will be safer to have a trusted ally at your side? Turn to 5.
Bid him farewell and trust in your ninja skills to evade any Bakemono? Turn to 299.

: And I STILL smell! Kwondamn stinking pile of pus!

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Endurance: 11/20

Acrobatics
Climbing

Inventory: Shuriken x 6, Iron Sleeves, Breathing Tube, Ninja Costume, Garrote, Flash Powder, Flint and Tinder, Flag of Lemne, Orb of Eo, Flag of Takahiri, salted and cured spiderfish

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari, Ittan-momen, Bofu's rep, Bandit x1, Pit Feeder, Hainu x4, Jikininiki

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Is... that where we're going too? Can't remember.

Travel on with him.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

painedforever posted:

Travel on with him.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

painedforever posted:

Travel on with him.

My thoughts exactly.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Well, we were definitely going west. Let's stick with Rin.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Go with Rin.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 5 posted:

Rin is delighted, clapping you on the back and declaring that between your keen skills and his keen blade you should be able to overcome whatever obstacles bar your path to Iga.

'The Bakemono will no doubt be patrolling both forests and open countryside,' Rin tells you. 'They only inhabit the forests because good samurai steel drove them out of areas suitable for farmland, and they have no innate woodland skills to speak of, so I suggest we stick to the forest.'

Will you:

Tell him you would rather travel in the open countryside where you can see the Bakemono from a distance and take means to evade them? Turn to 287.
If you agree with Rin that the forest trails offer more cover? Turn to 397.

: Keen skills? Not my feet and fists of fury? Not my mysterious disposition? No my awesome climbing claws? Not my secretive garrote or totally badass breathing tube?

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Acrobatics
Climbing

Inventory: Shuriken x 6, Iron Sleeves, Breathing Tube, Ninja Costume, Garrote, Flash Powder, Flint and Tinder, Flag of Lemne, Orb of Eo, Flag of Takahiri, salted and cured spiderfish

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari, Ittan-momen, Bofu's rep, Bandit x1, Pit Feeder, Hainu x4, Jikininininininininininiki

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

The forest trails offer cover. Where we may be truly ninja. No-one will ninje as strongly as we do.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Into the woods....

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Into the forest, where our totally badass breathing tube will give us a natural advantage.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 397 posted:

You journey west, keeping under cover of the forest where possible to avoid being seen. On the few instances where you venture out of the woodland you see smoke from distant campfires, likely Bakemono.

Your thoughts turn to your imminent arrival at Iga, and the end of the trial. You are close to your final goal now.

You pass a huge stone carving in the likeness of a Bakemono that is overgrown by forest vines. You surmise that it may have some sort of religious significance to the tribes of the area.

Do you have the skills of Picking Locks, Detecting and Disarming Traps? If so, turn to 391.
If not, turn to 402.

Page 391 posted:

You freeze as you detect danger on the forest floor - a series of net traps hidden under foliage, likely left by the Bakemono tribes. You carefully step around them. Soon you emerge from the forest, knowing that little now stands between you and the city of Iga.

If you are travelling with an associate, turn to 382.
If you are not, turn to 354.

The 'if you are travelling with an associate' bit does take the place of flags/keywords to allow for multiple playthroughs without giving away the specific identity of your companion.

Page 382 posted:

You come across an overgrown paved road and follow it west. Rin comments that there used to be a network of paved roads here in the west, before they fall to disrepair in the great civil war. Now the only civilization that clings onto the west of the island is Iga.

You approach a humpback wooden bridge across a fast flowing river and see a tall figure resting there. Rin draws his katana, but you tell him to sheath it again - the figure is Gorobei, your fellow contestant.

He bears numerous lesions and cuts on his skin, and his white monk's habit is dirty and torn in places, but he seems otherwise in good health. He claps your back in greeting, smiling and asking you how you have fared.

You tell him of your travels since the avalanche in the mountains and introduce your traveling companion.

'We have been fortunate to make it this far,' Gorobei says, 'given the attentions of this mage and his schemes. Come, let us hasten to Iga.'

You, Rin and Gorobei journey on together, and soon you can see the city of Iga in the distance, the white sails of the spice ships visible in the waters beyond.

It seems you have one last distraction before you can reach the city. Your gaze is drawn south to a war band of six Bakemono. They spot you shortly after you spot them, and break into a run at your with their long knives drawn.

Gorobei claps his hands and cracks his knuckles in anticipation of the fight. 'Let them come.'

Rin grimly draws his katana. 'We are blessed with another chance to ride the world of evil.'

Two Bakemono run in on you, whilst Gorobei and Rin tackle the remainder. You can use a shuriken if you have one; their Defense is 5, and a strike will deduct one die from the 1st Bakemono's Endurance of 6. Alternately, if you have the skill of Poison Needles, you may kill the 1st Bakemono outright as it rushes in.

In the following paragraphs, you may also ignore the third Bakemono listed in the following paragraphs, as Rin is already fighting it.

To fight the Bakemono will you use a Tiger's Paw chop (turn to 77, a Forked Lightning kick (turn to 87 or a Dragon's Tail throw (turn to 97)?

: I SHALL USE THE ROCKSLIDE FLURRY OF PUNCHES. REPEATEDLY.

: Let's dance, Bakemeno.

This vote is mostly for/against shuriken, but feel free to share thoughts of which move to make as well.

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Acrobatics
Climbing

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari, Ittan-momen, Bofu's rep, Bandit x1, Pit Feeder, Hainu x4, Jikininininininininininiki

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Shuriken!

Followed by White Crane Spreads Wings and One Toad Singing.

What? I can make up kung-fu moves if I want to.

But seriously, just the Shuriken vote for me, and you can worry about the actual fighting moves.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Shuriken, throw, punch or kick

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Launch a shuriken at the first one, then launch him at the second one. Shuriken and throw.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Might as well use the shuriken or it'll just sit in our inventory forever along with the other five.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DGM_2 posted:

Launch a shuriken at the first one, then launch him at the second one. Shuriken and throw.

Bonus points if you can hit the second one with the shuriken that's still embedded in the first one.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Shuriken and then the Tiger's Paw chop. This is The Way of the Tiger, after all.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Rolling...(4,5) - (6): Nailed it!

Page 77 posted:

You block the knife thrust of the nearest Bakemono and counter with a chop at the neck of one of the brutes. You may choose which one to attack.

posted:

Bakemono 1
Defense against Tiger's Paw: 7
Endurance: 6
Damage: 1d-1
- Shurli you ken't be serious :downsrim:

Bakemono 2
Defense against Tiger's Paw: 6
Endurance: 7

Bakemono 3
Defense against Tiger's Paw: 4
Endurance: 8

If you have defeated them, turn to 103.

If any of the Bakemono are still alive, they stab their knives at you. If there are 3 still alive, your Defense is 8; if there are 2, your Defense is 9; and if there is only one left, your Defense is 10. You may only block one of their attacks.

If you survive their attacks, you may use a Forked Lightning kick (turn to 87), a Dragon's Tail throw (turn to 97) or another punch (return to the top of the paragraph).

Rolling...(4,3). Avenger avenges...(5) Endurance points from Bakemono #2.
Rolling...(6,5). Bakemono swipes Avenger for...(5)-1 Endurance.

Page 97 posted:

You launch yourself at the feet of the Bakemono, determined to knock one of them down. You may choose which one to attack.

Bakemono #2 posted:

Defense against Dragon's Tail: 6
Endurance: 2
Damage: 1 Die-1

If you have successfully thrown one of them, any Bakemono still standing will be too bewildered by the event to counter attack until you have made your follow-up strike. You may use a Tiger's Paw chop (turn to 77) or a Forked Lightning kick (turn to 87), adding 2 to your Modifier and damage for your attack on the thrown enemy.

If you have failed to throw it, they stab their knives at you. If there are 3 still alive, your Defense is 7; if there are 2, your Defense is 8; and if there is only one left, your Defense is 9. You may only block one of their attacks.

If you survive their attacks, you may use a Tiger's Paw chop (turn to 77) or a Forked Lightning kick (turn to 87.).

Rolling...(4,5): Bakemono falls to the ground in a Clouseauesque display of awkwardness and indignity

Page 87 posted:

You lash out with your foot at the brute's kneecap and face in quick succession. You may choose which one to attack.

Bakemono #2 posted:

Defense against Forked Lightning: 7
Endurance:

If you have defeated them, turn to 103.

If any of the Bakemono are still alive, they stab their knives at you. If there are 3 still alive, your Defense is 8; if there are 2, your Defense is 9; and if there is only one left, your Defense is 10. You may only block one of their attacks.

If you survive their attacks, you may use a Tiger's Paw chop (turn to 77), a Dragon's Tail throw (turn to 97) or another kick (return to the top of the paragraph).

Rolling...(6,6)+2: Avenger kicks (5)+2....let's just say that the kneecap disappeared in a red mist and the kick to the face was overkill.

: *CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

Page 103 posted:

If you are traveling with two associates instead of one, turn to 107.

Page 107 posted:

Rin has cut his two Bakemono into ribbons, whilst Gorobei has throttled one and snapped the neck of another. You congratulate both him and Rin on their fighting skills.

Gorobei stretches his muscular arms and smiles. 'Well, protege of Naijishi, we have done it. Iga now stands open to us! Shall we end our journey?'

You look back along the trail and think about the other initiates who set out on this journey, yet who do not stand here with you at the end. You nod, and tell Gorobei it is time.

Rin sense your mood and lets you and Gorobei take the lead in approaching the city. Iga is built on flat rocky land overlooking the coast, protected by a sizable wooden stockade built on top of a stone wall. You are admitted through the city gates by samurai in silver lacquer armor. You have undertaken several missions here over the last two years, but in all cases you approached the city via the harbor. Still, you have no problem in finding your way past the tea houses and sword schools towards the waterfront.

Rin bids you farewell outside a school where he once trained, thanking you for journeying with him through the wild lands and saying he plans to travel back to Takahiri by ship, then a river barge north. You tell him that you will miss having his sword at your side, and you wish him well on future quests.

If you have the Tome of Xi, turn to 336.
If not, turn to 325.

A group of samurai in the wild ask us to hand this in. If we do so, we'd get a +2 modifier for our next attack.

Page 325 posted:

Upon reaching Iga's harbor you gaze along the dock until you spot your ship the Catechism which has arrive from Lemne. Out on the sea, fishing boats bob to-and-fro, seagulls circling the boats laden with fresh catches. You make your way towards your ship, past the laborers who work to load the spices of shichimi, wasabi and ginger onto waiting spice vessels.

The Grandmaster of the Dawn is standing waiting for you on the deck of the ship, hands clasped below the sleeves of his robes, his taut frame and piercing eyes belying his age.

You and Gorobei approach the Grandmaster of the Dawn and bow. You tell him of the unknown mage who set out to kill all the contestants, and of the fate of those contestants as far as you know it.

He shakes his head. 'Five of our best set out, and only two return . This is indeed a day of sorrow. Have no doubt, through Kwon we will learn of those who have set themselves against us.'

You state that you will avenge them, just as you still yearn to avenge Naijishi's death at the hands of Yaemon.

You then tell the Grandmaster of what you learned about the planned assassination of Singing Wind, and he promises to dispatch word to her.

'She will be forever in your debt,' he says. 'But now we must finish the formalities. You both have journey across this island, bearing many hardships. Tell me, how many flags do you carry?'

Gorobei presents two flags.

If you carry two flags, turn to 54.
If you carry three flags, turn to 90.

: How many of these do I have on hand again?

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Endurance: 7/20

Acrobatics
Climbing

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari, Ittan-momen, Bofu's rep, Bandit x1, Pit Feeder, Hainu x4, Jikininininininininininiki, Bakeduo

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Two flags. We ain't cheaters.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Two flags. Dude, you know this one.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Didn't we already vote on this? Two flags.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Two flags. We ain't cheaters.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

There! Are! Four! Lights! er, or two flags, whatever.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

CaptainCaveman posted:

There! Are! Four! Lights! er, or two flags, whatever.

:golfclap:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Sorry for the delay, we should be able to make it through the end without any further significant delays.

Page 54 posted:

'Your mastery of the Way of the Tiger is consummate,' the Grandmaster of the Dawn says as you present him with two flags (cross them off your Character Sheet). 'You will proceed with Gorobei to the final challenge back at the Island of Tranquil Dreams, where one of you may become the new Grandmaster of the Five Winds.'

You bow your head, overcome with emotion. If only Naijishi had lived to see this day, he surely would have been proud.

Gorobei nods, his mouth set in a grim line. No doubt he is remembering the last time he stood here, having reached this stage once before only to fail at the final contest.

'I will summon a messenger in Iga,' the Grandmaster of the Dawn continues. 'These flags will be returned to their respective Daimyo, with a message that they should return to us any artifacts of Kwon seized when our order was forced out of this island. By showing we can take these flags from their best protected strongholds, we hope to convince the other Daimyo of the wisdom of treating us as honored friends and not as enemies.'

The Grandmaster bids Gorobei rest after his trial, and your friend proceeds below deck, but the Grandmaster asks you to stay a little longer.

'You have suffered many hardships on this trial,' he says, 'especially for one so you, and yet I must ask even more. I have a mission for you.'

Turn to 296.

: AND WHY IS THIS NOT A MISSION FIT FOR GOROBEI?

Page 296 posted:

'A spy sympathetic to our order has alerted me to some disturbing new,' the Grandmaster of the Dawn sighs. 'A Daimyo of the northern isles called Jikkyu has learned of our presence, perhaps by the same mage who has plagued your trial. Jikkyu has sailed his warship Setsudanki, the Cutter, to anchor outside of Iga harbor, with the intention of killing all on board our ship as we leave.'

'You need me to sabotage the Cutter and allow us to leave?' you ask.

'This is not part of your trial, but a mission I ask you to undertake to allow us all to return home.'

You kneel, head bowed, to accept the mission.

'Our fate rests with you,' says the Grandmaster, who bids you to rise.

Turn to 251.

: I WILL READILY ADMIT TO NOT HAVING A SOFT TOUCH. MY SEMESTER SPENT PUNCHING GRANITE SAW TO THAT.

: Goro, what did you major in again?

: FEATS OF STRENGTH WITH A MINOR IN STRENGTH OF FEET AND HANDS.

Page 251 posted:

You are led below deck to your own room on the Catechism, where a hot bath is already prepared and you are left alone to reflect on your trials. A jar of balm has been set out for healing your wounds, and a hot meal of rice and eggs has been laid out on the table, along with a pitcher of water.

As you recuperate you may restore your Endurance to 20. You may restore your Punch and Kick Modifiers to 0 if you have suffered any penalties to them - your Fate Modifier, too, for you have been forgiven for the transgressions of this trial. You may also collect two more shuriken, as you gather new equipment from the spares held on board - although you are touched by sadness as it is a reminder that Aiko should have made it back.

Once bathed, you lie on the ship's bunk and catch a full night's sleep. You rise early as is your habit, greeting the first light of the morning in meditation. You feel Kwon's presence with you, now that you have proven yourself against many great challenges. You may increase your Inner Force points to 5 which is your new maximum from now on.

If you are carrying an Orb of Eo, you leave it to one of the sailors to take to the temple of Eo in Iga. It belongs with the faithful of the god of Peace and Weal, and would only weigh you down while swimming on your mission. Likewise you discard any Hainu skin - remove these items from your Character Sheet.

It is mid-morning before you step back out onto the deck of the Catechism, seeking out the Grandmaster. You find him standing at the prow of the ship, gazing out of the harbor to the horizon.

'Tonight the moon will be hidden behind the clouds,' he says. 'It will be a good night to make your attempt on the Cutter.'

You say that you are ready.

'Of that, I have no doubt. We have purchased a small fishing vessel for you, and you can use it to get close to the ship under the cover of darkness. We will load a flask of lantern oil which you should use to disable the Cutter. Once we see it aflame, we will sail the Catechism out past it, though close enough for you to leap out and swim to us. The plan is dangerous, but it is our only chance. If we dwell bottled up here too long, the mage who attacked you will no doubt try to strike at us whilst we are vulnerable.'

Turn to 44.

Page 44 posted:

You wait until nightfall, donning your black ninja costume before you vault over the side of the Catechism and swim along the quiet harbor to where the small fishing boat is moored. As the Grandmaster predicted, the moon and stars are obscured by clouds, offering you the perfect cover of darkness.

You raise the tarpaulin covering the boat to find the clay flask of lantern oil about the size of a beer tankard. You release the moorings and spring into the boat, letting it drift out with the tide until clear of the other ships.

You lower the sail and set out of the harbor, scrutinizing the horizon for any sign of the Cutter in the darkness. It does not take you long to find it by the soft glow of light on its deck, anchored facing the entrance to the bay like some great, sleek predator awaiting its quarry.

It is a warship and simply setting the sails alight will not suffice; you must also somehow cripple the use of the oars if the Catechism is to make an escape.

Most of the ships oars are raised and its sails folded. It bears a grey flag flying from its mast bearing the mons of three interlocking rings and the aft of the deck contains a towers of archers, but there is not sign of anyone there presently.

You take down your sail and let the fishing boat drift closer, straining forward against the spray of the sea to detect any sign of sentries on the deck. You catch occasional movement, but little else as the distance is too great in these conditions.

You tie the clay flask to your back with rope and ease yourself quietly into the sea water, the waves buffeting you until you submerge completely. You only surface from the water once you are beside the hull.

Will you:

Clamber up the anchor chain to the ship? Turn to 225.
Pull yourself up to one of the few lowered oars, and then up along a raised oar to the deck? Turn to 232.
Alternatively, if you have the Climbing skill and wish to use it, use the cat's claws to climb the wooden hull directly? Turn to 240.

: Sorry to do this Cutter, but sometimes you just end up between a rock and a hard fist. And on fire.

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Endurance: 20/20

Acrobatics
Climbing

Inventory: Shuriken x 8, Iron Sleeves, Breathing Tube, Ninja Costume, Garrote, Flash Powder, Flint and Tinder, salted and cured spiderfish

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari, Ittan-momen, Bofu's rep, Bandit x1, Pit Feeder, Hainu x4, Jikininininininininininiki, Bakeduo

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Scale the hull. Put our climbing skills to use again.

Welcome back!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Climb the wooden hull! It's ninja time.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Have skill - use skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
We have a skill and we wish to use it.

• Locked thread