Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

DGM_2 posted:

We have a skill and we wish to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

DGM_2 posted:

We have a skill and we wish to use it.

Yup.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Page 240 posted:

You affix your cat's claws to your hands and feet, and scale the wooden hull as easily as climbing a tree.

Once you reach the top you peek over the edge of the ship to survey the deck, which is lit by two softly-glowing lanterns. There are a dozen or so sailors attending to various tasks, overseen by a couple of patrolling samurai in grey lacquer armor. You particularly note that the planks of the deck are varnished and will be very difficult to burn.

You tense your muscles in preparation for action. First, you need to find a way below deck to ensure the oars cannot be manned. The hatch leading below deck is toward the fore of the ship.

Will you?

Use ventriloquism to pretend to be a sailor fallen overboard to distract the crew before sneaking past? Turn to 95.
Garrote a sailor out of sight of the rest, and wear his clothes to pass as one of the crew? Turn to 286.
Use your flask of lantern oil to start a fire to distract the crew whilst you slip past and below deck? Turn to 297.
If you have the Escapology skill, squeeze your way through an open porthole to gain access below deck? Turn to 307.

: Even lacking the ability to Escapagize out of this quandry, I've got some pretty great options.

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Endurance: 20/20
Inner Force: 4

Acrobatics
Climbing
Picking Locks, Detecting and Disarming Traps

Kick Modifier: +0
Punch Modifier: +0
Throw Modifier: +0
Fate Modifier: +0

Inventory: Shuriken x 8, Iron Sleeves, Breathing Tube, Ninja Costume, Garrote, Flash Powder, Flint and Tinder, salted and cured spiderfish

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari, Ittan-momen, Bofu's rep, Bandit x1, Pit Feeder, Hainu x4, Jikininininininininininiki, Bakeduo

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Crew disguise sounds most ninja to me.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
We are Ninja. Part of our Covenant is that we will "change [our] face and become invisible, able to walk among men without being seen." And that we shall do. Choke out one of the crew and switch clothes.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Light my fire baby. I prefer the disguise thing personally, but that's always rife with complications.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
How can we pass up a chance to cosplay as Agent 47 cosplaying as a sailor?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The disguise plan is the only one of those that sounds remotely stealthy.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 286 posted:

You slip over the rail and onto the deck, creeping behind a sailor who is emptying slop buckets overboard. You wait until he has finished his unpleasant task before slipping your garrote around his neck and squeezing it. His breathing ends without a sound.

You strip the clothes from his body before hiding it between two barrels of sand. Once changed into his attire, you stride along the deck carrying two empty buckets, and in the dim light no one gives you a second glace after stepping out of your way at the foul smell.

You enter the hatch and descend the ladder below deck.

Turn to 318.

: ...sloppy seconds?

Page 318 posted:

The space below the deck is lit in an eerie jade glow, and floating in mid-air you see a bloodshot, glowing eye. It swivels towards you as you enter. You adopt a fighting stance but it blinks and then vanishes. The jade glow fades to nothing, leaving the area bathed in the soft light of a single lantern.

You consider that your presence is now known and you cannot afford to waste time. Three corridors split from here and head toward the aft of the ship, where perhaps you may find entry to the hold and thence to the oars. To port, you hear a distant sound of chanting. There are no clear noises from midship or starboard, but down the middle corridor you can see drips from a slop bucket.

Will you:

Enter the port corridor? Turn to 388.
Enter the middle corridor? Turn to 342.
Enter the starboard corridor? Turn to 376.

I guess a semi-blind choice was a bit overdue at this point.

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Acrobatics
Climbing

Inventory: Shuriken x 8, Iron Sleeves, Breathing Tube, Ninja Costume, Garrote, Flash Powder, Flint and Tinder, salted and cured spiderfish

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari, Ittan-momen, Bofu's rep, Bandit x1, Pit Feeder, Hainu x4, Jikininininininininininiki, Bakeduo, Sailor x1

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Left is the one true path.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

:goleft:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
On a ship, starboard is right, port is left. Go left to port!

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

achtungnight posted:

On a ship, starboard is right, port is left. Go left to port!

Starboard and port are the ship's right and left, and we're headed aft, so we're facing the opposite way to the ship. Go starboard.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

The middle of the road is clearly the right way. Clearly.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

To port we hear chanting, so there's people there, which we probably want to avoid. The middle corridor has drips of slop, so that's probably where the sailor we attacked came from, they'll recognize we're not him, so we want to avoid that too. Go starboard.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

CaptainCaveman posted:

To port we hear chanting, so there's people there, which we probably want to avoid. The middle corridor has drips of slop, so that's probably where the sailor we attacked came from, they'll recognize we're not him, so we want to avoid that too. Go starboard.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

CaptainCaveman posted:

This man speaks wisdom. Heed it.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

CaptainCaveman posted:

My thoughts exactly

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Friend Commuter posted:

Starboard and port are the ship's right and left, and we're headed aft, so we're facing the opposite way to the ship. Go starboard.

An excellent point. Do this.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I acknowledge the argument for starboard, but :goleft: is love, :goleft: is life!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I'm just gonna interpret all those :goleft: votes as starboard given our orientation as well described above.

Page 376 posted:

There seems to be one door in this corridor on your left and another at the far end. You listen at the near door but hear nothing. You open it a little and peer into the gloom. You can open it a little and peer into the gloom. You can just make out a figure sleeping in a hammock on the far side of the room, alongside a cluttered wooden map desk. There is a telescope beside the shuttered porthole, and various nautical charts and instruments visible. You assume from the coin chest and personal effect scattered across the room that this is the quarters of the ship's captain.

Will you:

Sneak inside? Turn to 65.
Decide it is too risky and continue along the corridor to the door at the end? Turn to 348.

: Oh captain, my captain...

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Acrobatics
Climbing

Body Count: Ronin x1, Mutari, Ittan-momen, Bofu's rep, Bandit x1, Pit Feeder, Hainu x4, Jikininininininininininiki, Bakeduo, Sailor x1

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Pass up a golden opportunity to rob the captain blind wake up the captain and get hanged from a yardarm? No guts, no ninja glory. Sneak in!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Been a while since we murdered someone in their sleep. Sneak in.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Wise men say, only fools rush in,
But I can't help...

Sneaking in,
And slitting your throat...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
As a ninja, Avenger doesn’t know the meaning of risk! Uh, he knows what it means, he’s not dumb, but... just sneak in. Even if there’s danger this cabin is too tempting a target.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

We shall make like Robert Redford, Dan Aykroyd, and Sidney Poitier and be Sneakers.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

With cat-like tread... we sneak

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Sneak in and get some high-tier loot!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 65 posted:

You step into the gently rolling captain's cabin, your every step careful in the darkness to avoid waking him.. You tense your muscles, ready to spring into action should he awaken.

Do you have the skill of Picking Locks, Detecting and Disarming Traps?

If so, turn to 82.
If not, turn to 110.

Page 82 posted:

You freeze as you spot the outline of a trap in the ceiling; a long blade set to slice down at your neck. Now you know why the captain does not lock his door as he sleeps. You avoid the pressure plate underneath the wooden floorboard and quickly search the darkened room but find nothing useful. You may decide if you want to garrote the sleeping captain or not. If you do, he will die quickly and silently - note that he is dead on your Character Sheet. You leave the room and open the door at the end of the corridor.

Turn to 348.

The next update is a bit long, so we'll pause here for a vote on whether to extend our Kill Sheet

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Acrobatics
Climbing

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
:black101: KILL THE CAPTAIN :black101:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Kill the captain,
Kill the captain,
Kill the captain, Clementine,
Kill the captain,
Kill the captain,
Kill the captain, Clementine...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Captain should always die with the ship.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

achtungnight posted:

The Captain should always die with the ship.

It's a tradition! And if he wanted to have a choice in the matter, then maybe he shouldn't have taken to piracy :colbert:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Look at me. Look at me. I am the captain now.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Page 348 posted:

You open the door and slip through, entering a large cargo area at the convergence of three corridors which is filled with stores of arrows, crates of food and barrels of water. An open hatch leads to the level below and you peek down.

You see a large chamber of human misery, where filthy, whip-marked slaves are pressed together and chained to the oars. They are sleeping, a brief respite from their backbreaking work, and you have not yet been noticed. Even from this distance the stench of sweat and human filth is overpowering.

If you have a Brass Key, you start freeing the slaves. Turn to 36.
If you do not, but have the skill of Picking Locks, Detecting and Disarming Traps, you must tr to free a single slave from his chains. Turn to 61.
Otherwise, you can only awaken a slave and ask him where the keys are kept. Turn to 256.

: Damnit, if Goro was here he'd just snap those chains by hand.

Page 61 posted:

You sneak up and use your lock-picking tools on the chains of the nearest slave. After a few moments the lock clicks and he is free. You gently shake him awake and gesture for him to keep quiet.

You realize that trying to unpick the locks on all these chains will be very time consuming and expose you to the danger of discovery. You ask the slave in hushed tones where the key is kept. Slaves such as he never leave the hold, but he believes the key is kept with the ship's first mate, whose cabin is somewhere near the center of the ship. The slave agrees to remain quiet while you do your work, knowing that he may only have his freedom if he escapes along with his fellows.

You pull yourself back up through the hatch and take the door already ajar into the corridor through the midship. Then you step to a wooden door from which a metallic rasping noise is emanating.

Turn to 132.

Page 132 posted:

You open the door and sneak inside the room to see a burly, bald man at a whetstone sharpening an axe, sitting on the floor among various personal effects including scraps of armor, clothes and some shogi game tiles. The man's back is turned and he does not see you. He is bare-chested and has a chain around his neck with what looks like a key attached - if there is a key, then you need it.

Will you:

Send a shuriken into the back of his head? Turn to 155.
Sneak forward and use your garrote on him? Turn to 165.
Use the Poison Needles skill, if you have it? Turn to 173.

I'm disappointed that the "huck the entire dried and salted spider at his shiny head" isn't an option.

Character Sheet posted:

Avenger

Acrobatics
Climbing

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Shuriken to the face! Yes, I know it says back of the head but surely he'll turn around at the right moment. :D

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Our garrotte has served us well so far.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
We have a shuriken and we wish to throw it.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Shuriken are too rad to waste on this douche. Instead, let’s give him a nice tight hug around the windpipe with the garrote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
can't scream an alarm if he can't breathe. garrote

• Locked thread