Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
What. How do you get it to do that? It wasn’t doing that for me! Do the twin-rigged ones do that???

Also man it really sucks how much of a penalty heavy armor is. I almost feel like in the sequel they should make it so lighter armor takes more core power and heavier armor takes less, right now playing with anything other than light armor just feels like a handicap.

I’m trying to make Angel armor work for me. It’s... ok, so far. The energy bonus is noticeable, the attack speed bonus sadly isn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Today I learned, if you don’t cut Helvig’s right arm you get the lovely weapon.

Yeah, You get the kingfisher no matter what. As far as staff weapons I like the spitefire v2.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I have the same issue with LotF I had with Doom: There’s no sound or obvious visual cue to indicate I’m getting hit so I’ll be wailing on a monster and drop dead all of a sudden.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

snoremac posted:

I have the same issue with LotF I had with Doom: There’s no sound or obvious visual cue to indicate I’m getting hit so I’ll be wailing on a monster and drop dead all of a sudden.

But in doom you should be constant ripping health out of demon guts. There's a beep when you get low on health

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

snoremac posted:

e: i'm profoundly retarded and thought you meant ts, my bad

spaceships fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 3, 2018

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Hey so I bought this due to this thread and I just got past Black Cerberus after three days of trying. (Had to read a guide to do the special thing that nets you his armour/makes the fight bearable)
Thank game has rekindled my faith is games as a set of tough but surmountable challenges, it's so good!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

XTimmy posted:

Hey so I bought this due to this thread and I just got past Black Cerberus after three days of trying. (Had to read a guide to do the special thing that nets you his armour/makes the fight bearable)
Thank game has rekindled my faith is games as a set of tough but surmountable challenges, it's so good!

There was some poor sap on Reddit a few weeks ago who made a post along the lines of “after many tries, I finally defeated PAX!” along with a screenshot of the dead boss.

I replied “lol I sure hope you like fighting PAX op.”

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Between LotF and The Surge, I hope they get interconnected environments right the third time around. LotF isn’t as convoluted as The Surge - it’s more that you loop back to areas you wouldn’t ever need to loop back to. Like the catacombs linking back to the battlements neat the start. Nothin’ back there as far as I know.

It’s a good game though. I’m pleasantly surprised given the mixed reactions. The magic powers allay some issues I have with the physical combat (ie. some enemies have too much HP and I get stuck in boring patterns whittling them down), and exploration is fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yee haw, pardners! I was in the beta test for the dlc and now that it's out I'm streaming it right now! So come hang out and see the wild westworld in its finished state!

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
The new dlc is really, really boring. Not a fan.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

Gortarius posted:

I'm really enjoying the DLC. Why do you find it boring?

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Gortarius posted:

You're right. I've been having much more fun playing Barkley 2.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So I have determined two things:

1) The new DLC really punishes you for not having upgraded gear. If you are having trouble, playing the campaign and getting the next tier of upgrades will fix it.

2) A build using the Angel armor is painful in the beginning because Engelhart isn’t very great and doesn’t seem to get as much benefit from the set bonus, but as soon as you reach Biolabs and get the Ice Codename weapons it loving devastates dudes. Siegfried is especially good here, but Elise is decent. The staff and twin-rigged weapons are probably high comedy with this set.

Also the Supervisor sounds like the voice actor for Barrett doing a comedy accent.

There’s also a lot of technical instability for me. I killed the second episode boss and his lackeys exploding hard crashed the game.

Edit: holy goddamn poo poo I have never been more surprised by a PAX. This DLC really is all in-jokes lol.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 4, 2018

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how you can access the Testing Facility from pretty much any level in the main game, that's nice. (the doors are locked for the areas you didn't come from so you can't use the testing facility as a fast-travel system). CREO World was already folded into the main game pretty well but this is also pretty nice.

Some of the new weapons are fast. I'm digging the revolver-blade twin-rigs and the Spirit Animal set.

I do enjoy the goofiness of the Silent Film modifier on the testing facility but since time doesn't freeze when the placards go up it's a little distracting.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Speedball posted:

(the doors are locked for the areas you didn't come from so you can't use the testing facility as a fast-travel system)

I actually really don’t understand this decision. Maybe it could’ve been only in NG+, but I actually think once you’ve been through a door in the campaign it should be open always. At this point in the game’s lifespan, most of the people playing the DLC have probably beaten the game already, and it’s still not proper fast travel since you have to go through doors in the world still, not just a menu at the OPS centers. It feels like a huge missed opportunity to me.

Edit: they could’ve just locked us out during that one set piece where you have to clear security guys back to Central Production B OPS in Act III too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The game is pretty short and the facility isn't that big, so not having fast travel isn't that bad. I'm thinking I'm gonna charge through NG+ for the rig upgrades and all the really good creo world mods before I do the new dlc.

These new trinity implants are kinda insane and they drain alot of core power.

Along with the increased energy and the dlc energy mods I can have all 4 of the creo world 'active when energy on' mods on all the time.
Also from reading reddit, you can equip different helm and leg armor as long as they arn't a part of a set. Making it so you only need chest and arms to make a set. You can use the creo world candy head, cowboy hats, sunglasses along with the boots from the cowboy land.

You can fully lvl up your gear in the dlc at the start of NG+. Just have to work up the episodes and they will drop higher lvl components to upgrade.

So I hit my limit in the game after blitzing through until NG+4.

I would need to gain like 300 core levels to fill out the implants and I would fill out the entire right side with the dlc proficiency mods to get more dmg. With the dlc proficiency mods you can basically use whatever weapon you want because it boosts the dmg of the weapons so high and lets you catch up a few levels pretty easy. The mods will do most of the work though.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 6, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-bs-bxExio

My stream of the DLC is now archived on YouTube! I answer some questions about my beta experience and compare the two as much as I'm allowed along the way, so check it out! I enter the DLC at 15:30 if you'd like to skip the introductory stuff.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Hey I'm mildly lost. I killed the first boss (Pax? Aka metal gear Rex). Stumbled on to the amusement park dlc. killed the med techs captain
did the power core thing where you fight a couple of dudes and drones in a room. Then sorta lost track of my current objective. And since a spent a lot of time getting good in creo world I don't have a clue about main story now either. I found the cowboys and west world dlc. But once I've learned to stop dying there, roughly where should I go next. Full disclosure I am unnaturally bad at navigation so distinct landmarks or linear paths are preferred.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sazabi posted:

Hey I'm mildly lost. I killed the first boss (Pax? Aka metal gear Rex). Stumbled on to the amusement park dlc.
code:
killed the med techs captain
did the power core thing where you fight a couple of dudes and drones in a room. Then sorta lost track of my current objective. And since a spent a lot of time getting good in creo world I don't have a clue about main story now either. I found the cowboys and west world dlc. But once I've learned to stop dying there, roughly where should I go next. Full disclosure I am unnaturally bad at navigation so distinct landmarks or linear paths are preferred.

If you’ve killed the S&R captain, you want to go back through Central Production B and seek out that mean spider bot that was following you. Plot-wise, the S&R helper guy should have/should be able to tell you that there’s a lady named Dr. Chavez hiding out somewhere in the abandoned biolabs who may know what’s going on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, Largo will tell you that he needs time to decipher the black box you've found, and that's your clue that part 1 of the dlc is over and you should push on with the main game. Imo they don't do a great job of really pushing that home though.

edit: Largo does give you a map to the biolabs which isn't just a flavor item in your inventory- it has some visual hints on it, I believe.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 8, 2018

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
That map is it in that tab with the other little more audio logs and some propaganda posters? The games not in front of me but I remember a gear tab, scrap tab, and like a general info lore dump tab. The last story npc I remember is the lady who wanted a bigger stick. So I should just wander around there until I find a spider?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yep, it'll be in that tab along with other quest items and stuff. You can examine pretty much anything in that menu close up (besides audio logs), the button is listed along the bottom of the menu when you're hovering over one. If you want a direct hint for where to go though, try heading in the opposite direction of the stairwell that leads down to that lady and the train platform, past the broadcast where Don Hackett is rambling about the dream tour system.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The correct direction is where the gently caress Zone bridge is. If you don’t know what I mean, you will soon.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Alright it took me a couple of hours but I found firebug. I then spent way longer than I needed to fighting said bug. Cause I read somewhere about secret weapons and having to knock off all his legs. But I couldn't get the back one so it was a lot of dodging and walking around. Till I accidentally killed him and turns out "all legs must be ripped off" was missing the *except for the last back leg*.

Made it to the biolad, talked to the doctor, accidentally declined her quest. Then I think I accepted it after talking to her again. And once again feel lost. I've explored topside and underground. Found two jumpy puzzles, a secret room, that poison hurts without the right armor, and that I want to be the one who dismembers Don Hackett with the heaviest hammer I can find.

The only doors I've yet to unlock seem like generic shortcuts, require secruity clearance. Or have a spot for my drone to charge up but I get the same "error biolad needs power" message. Please help, it's Warren's first day on the job and he really wants to meet Mr Hackett.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sazabi posted:

The only doors I've yet to unlock seem like generic shortcuts, require secruity clearance. Or have a spot for my drone to charge up but I get the same "error biolad needs power" message. Please help, it's Warren's first day on the job and he really wants to meet Mr Hackett.

If you've been in the same room as Chavez and accepted her quest, you should return to CPB. You will notice a commotion occurring above you when you return, and that a door to a place called the Circulation Tower has now opened. Make sure you grabbed the Botec power core for your drone from Chavez's room in the Biolabs, you can get a special weapon from CREO World using it that is really good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sazabi posted:

But I couldn't get the back one so it was a lot of dodging and walking around. Till I accidentally killed him and turns out "all legs must be ripped off" was missing the *except for the last back leg*.

This is actually a glitch, you did enough damage to knock it off but sometimes the back leg doesn't pop off when it runs out of health for some reason. Congrats!

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Lightning Knight posted:

If you've been in the same room as Chavez and accepted her quest, you should return to CPB. You will notice a commotion occurring above you when you return, and that a door to a place called the Circulation Tower has now opened. Make sure you grabbed the Botec power core for your drone from Chavez's room in the Biolabs, you can get a special weapon from CREO World using it that is really good.

Only talked to her once on an intercom. She's locked in a room and I need to find something in a big greenhouse. Not sure what, no idea where. But I'm getting really good at kicking three legged robo dogs and robo boxes with lasers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Your current goal is to deactivate the security lockdown so that you can open up both greenhouses and roam around freely. Said security lockdown panel is inside one of the greenhouses, meaning you have to travel through the underground area to get there. I actually don't blame you for getting lost here because the path forward is pretty weird. Look for a hole you can drop into on the outer rim of the big open area if you haven't found it yet- from there the path forward is pretty much linear.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

CJacobs posted:

Your current goal is to deactivate the security lockdown so that you can open up both greenhouses and roam around freely. Said security lockdown panel is inside one of the greenhouses, meaning you have to travel through the underground area to get there. I actually don't blame you for getting lost here because the path forward is pretty weird. Look for a hole you can drop into on the outer rim of the big open area if you haven't found it yet- from there the path forward is pretty much linear.

drat. I found that whole immediately and have used it like 5 times. But I always end up back in the loop with the train and medbay. I'll try again and see if I'm missing something.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

Sazabi posted:

drat. I found that whole immediately and have used it like 5 times. But I always end up back in the loop with the train and medbay. I'll try again and see if I'm missing something.

Different hole. The one you found takes you back to the train and is a shortcut back. There is another hole near there to continue through the level.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Question about this game and its difficulty: if I was able to beat DS/DS3 will this be frustratingly difficult or doable? Bearing in mind that those were like, peak me-being-decent-at-videogames. I really like the look but the demo was short so I haven't pulled the trigger on thsi game yet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you have played any of the Souls games it is definitely doable but it won't be super easy or anything like that. I'd compare it more to Bloodborne in terms of difficulty and general speed. Everything is very fast but all of your actions require some level of commitment. However, there was a lot of attention paid to balancing the gameplay so that you have a way out of most situations, moves can be canceled with a dodge and you can hold the block button in the middle of a combo to abort it so you don't take a full hit, etc.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Surge is the easiest Souls-like 3rd person adventure//action game by a wide margin, barring that insanely super bad ones like Technomancer or the PS+ one that looked like Too human

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If you can beat DS3, this shouldn’t be that bad imo.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
I had the same reservations about not being good enough. But I'm three bosses in and I'll say some of the robots are a pain in part because it's usually a hallway you encounter them. And anyone with a staff is basically a try hard ninja rear end in a top hat. But you get by, you learn, and you get in the zone. The Impact state is pretty important for staggering dudes out of there attacks. So far I'm pretty sure I've died less than I would in a souls game and I've gotten every boss in less than 3 tries which was basically the minimum I had for any of the DS3 bosses.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hm. That sounds pretty doable, is cheesing/following a very specific upgrade path a viable method for cutting down on the potential frustration?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Frog Act posted:

Hm. That sounds pretty doable, is cheesing/following a very specific upgrade path a viable method for cutting down on the potential frustration?

I've found that upgrading the starting light armour and using staves and one other weapon type are both very cheesy and very effective. You cannot upgrade your character in this, only your weapons and armour, by the way, but you do get plenty of implants. Implant effects stack, so don't hesitate to pile on the ones you think you'll be needing the most (e.g. health injectables, this game's potions).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Frog Act posted:

This game doesn’t have wildly divergent builds the way DS does with magic or bow ranged gimmickry. There’s more stuff you can do with the DLC but for the most part the cheesiest thing you can do is dodge/running attack everything to death.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
If you want to cheese everything, just use dodge forward + attack -> dodge back. I find it that most enemies don't have any real response to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sweet, I'm gonna pick it up, I was just a little concerned because in Dark Souls the first times through I often had phantoms help me with particularly difficult bosses and I sometimes think I might have gotten stuck and quit without that element, which the surge doesn't have, unfortunately.

• Locked thread