Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wish you could do manual saves. it is way too easy to kill firebug before that last arm is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wish you could do manual saves. it is way too easy to kill firebug before that last arm is broken.

What weapon(s) are you using? I used a staff (the Biomaster, IIRC) and I got the Firebug's 2.0 weapon, easy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

What weapon(s) are you using? I used a staff (the Biomaster, IIRC) and I got the Firebug's 2.0 weapon, easy.

pax 2.0. obviously, i hosed up with a few too many wild hits on the second phase, but missable stuff in games drives me nuts even though i'm not a deranged completionist.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just got this game, I thought it was getting real easy but then I got on the train and these dudes in the RHINO armor are beating my rear end

the butterfly is dope as hell tho

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
You can see the clear Souls influence in bottomless death pits that don’t look like bottomless death pits so you jump down them.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Could someone prod me in the right direction? I did Creo World up to when the Operator says to go the Biolabs and meet someone (I think Chavez). I met Chavez and returned to the Operator, who realized the Black Box has an encrypted private meeting on it and he needs to decrypt it. I don’t know what to do from there.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Phi230 posted:

I just got this game, I thought it was getting real easy but then I got on the train and these dudes in the RHINO armor are beating my rear end

the butterfly is dope as hell tho

the entirety of the first level is a tutorial meant to ease you into the mechanics, including the boss. everything will gently caress you up now. welcome to the surge.

snoremac posted:

Could someone prod me in the right direction? I did Creo World up to when the Operator says to go the Biolabs and meet someone (I think Chavez). I met Chavez and returned to the Operator, who realized the Black Box has an encrypted private meeting on it and he needs to decrypt it. I don’t know what to do from there.

you go to the Rusty Spring Tower and you'll figure it out from there.

spaceships fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 5, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

snoremac posted:

Keep playing the main story, the dlc is segmented into two halves across the game. He'll send you a message when it's time to come back.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Keep playing the main story, the dlc is segmented into two halves across the game. He'll send you a message when it's time to come back.

Okay, thanks. I assume whatever I need to trigger is behind the locked security doors in the Biolabs.

@spaceships, if you're referring to the boss fight near the helicopter I already did that.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
yeah, i'm a boob. it didn't trigger for me in the Biolabs, but the moment i entered R&D, the Operator iphoned me to come back

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yup, that's when he always does it. They even put a convenient second entrance right there for you! For the record, don't do the area you're in beforehand when you do get to that point. Go right to CREO World or else you'll be pretty overpowered for it. The dlc is tuned for mk 2 to 3 weapon and armor parts both times, but it's slightly harder when you come back which is really cool.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I’m following my Soulsborne playthrough method by basically sticking with an early chosen weapon the whole time because I get comfortable with it. In this case the cobalt staff. I’ve just noticed how well it staggers enemies if you run and slide attack weak limbs. I could only see myself swapping it out for an undeniably better staff if I come across one.

The Surge is pretty drat underrated looking at the reviews, which initially turned me off it. I get the criticism, but I’m finding it bloody fun and am proud of my drunk purchase. The OP influenced my decision so thanks.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Did I miss body gear in the tutorial section? It has that underground area with the “press down for body gear lights”, but I’ve never found any.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

snoremac posted:

Did I miss body gear in the tutorial section? It has that underground area with the “press down for body gear lights”, but I’ve never found any.

you gotta tear off a body and craft one.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i just beat the game. i kinda wish there was a end credits stinger of Warren wheeling himself out of the hole with a pipe in hand.

i enjoyed it overall. there's some things i found annoying, like the targeting system in general felt really goddang clunky.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Roobanguy posted:

i just beat the game. i kinda wish there was a end credits stinger of Warren wheeling himself out of the hole with a pipe in hand.

i enjoyed it overall. there's some things i found annoying, like the targeting system in general felt really goddang clunky.

If you start a NG+ there’s a blood smear crawling from a vent towards where Warren left his wheelchair, it’s theorized that is where Warren escapes after you beat he game.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

you gotta tear off a body and craft one.
Yikes, I didn’t know that was a mechanic. Finally got some in R&D.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

snoremac posted:

Yikes, I didn’t know that was a mechanic. Finally got some in R&D.

Wait, you got through to R&D without crafting armour and/or weapons? :stare:

EDIT: HOW?! There's a tutorial right at the beginning saying you can chop off limbs to get their stuff!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Wait, you got through to R&D without crafting armour and/or weapons? :stare:

EDIT: HOW?! There's a tutorial right at the beginning saying you can chop off limbs to get their stuff!
No, I was crafting stuff and chopping limbs, but didn’t associate gear with limb choppage and assumed it was random loot. I was definitely targeting bodies when they were weak, and I do plenty of finishers - guess I was just unlucky?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
You need to hit a part a fair bit to make it eligible for drop. Torso pieces are the most resistant to it.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

trigger an autosave and then copy it to USB/cloud, reload if needed

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

snoremac posted:

No, I was crafting stuff and chopping limbs, but didn’t associate gear with limb choppage and assumed it was random loot. I was definitely targeting bodies when they were weak, and I do plenty of finishers - guess I was just unlucky?

I think I see- if you want to chop off an armour piece, then you need to target an area that glows yellow when you select limbs and body parts. A blue glow means that part is unarmoured, which means you do more damage, but don't get an armour piece even if you do a finishing move that dismembers them.

Iceclaw posted:

You need to hit a part a fair bit to make it eligible for drop. Torso pieces are the most resistant to it.

Yeah, what this guy kind of said. You see that blue bar below your health and stamina? That's energy- once it gets past a certain threshold you can do the finishing moves that get you stuff. Certain weapons and weapon types can give you increased or decreased energy gain.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I’ve got it now, thanks. The good thing is my core power has always been maxed out between implants and gear anyway, so I wasn’t disadvantaged in a significant way beyond not having a light in the dark sections.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Keep in mind full sets give bonuses, sometime significant ones.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gear has set bonuses, individual pieces have stats, and then there is the advantage of having armor all over.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, CJacobs has called out the starting Lynx armour as overpowered because it gives an attack speed bonus at high levels of health. This may not sound like much, but considering that you'll be healing and dodging away from enemies after a few hits anyway, in practical terms it means that with a good staff or twin-rigged weapon, The Surge goes from Dark Souls to a wushu movie pretty damned quickly. And that's not combined with the implants that boost attack speed too.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I grinded the extra 8 levels needed to enter the 80 door at the nucleus entrance and I’ll tell ya I feel I should’ve just gone ahead. It was fun beating the crap out of everything though and now I’m nano cored on half my gear and ready to finish this up.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Finished it. That was a satisfying final section, though the boss was easy and probably my least favourite in the game (Carbon Cat was my favourite). Maddy being part of the Rogue Process was a nice touch - poor Alec! I’m assuming the woman you’ve been talking to is part of the RP, which was trying to get a pro-Utopia vote so it could launch and proliferate throughout the world Edit: Just remembered she was trying to BLOCK the vote. Okay, I don’t know who she is exactly. I’m not sure if the alien goo itself got Resolve shutdown by infecting someone like Barret with the idea of Utopia, or more likely Utopia simply got out of hand. Metaphorically you could say the goo is a manifestation - or the consequence - of the greed and ambition that turned Creo away from its supposed humane foundations. It warrants another playthrough to see it from the right perspective. Those final revelations really enhanced the story for me.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 7, 2018

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Okay, I caught up on lorechat in this thread and I’m really taken by how interesting the story and world end up being. During the playthrough it seems like a standard case of shady-technocorp’s-crazy-research-gets-out-of-hand, complete with a scientist saying “we must evolve the species nee-hee-hee!” It’s only as the audiologs and final hours come together that it plays its hand. I really like it.

My interpretation: The quote that opens the game roughly says that man should plant trees he won’t live to be under the shadow of. This is accompanied by an image of glacial melting and some kind of humanitarian crisis. It’s revealed to be part of Creo’s pitch for Resolve, a project aiming to scrub the world’s atmosphere of an unclear (to me) thing that’s made much of the world uninhabitable. Creo is a massive corporation — “We’re everywhere, even if you don’t see us” — something like Amazon meets Tesla, offering everything from Resolve to mech-limbs to basic household products.

In short, it’s a giant capitalist enterprise. Its business is to expand and keep expanding. Through Don Hackett, Creo entices workers to see it as home, as family, to be embraced in all facets of their lives, literally including their dreams. But the Creo workplace is nothing like that; it more closely resembles a modern corporation, with hierarchies, greed, ambition, competition, and disgruntlement. I can’t remember many happy audiologs beyond the bright-eyed girl telling her dad (paraphrasing) “I’ve gone corporate - time to swim with the sharks!” That’s Creo, long before the Rogue Process shows up.

I think it cheapens the game’s themes a bit to say the RP is the sole explanation for much of what happens on an individual level among the workers, because much of what they think and do resembles what actual workers think and do under the pressures of the modern workplace. This includes murder: Ferguson’s fate is not unlike the fate actual managers (typically in America) have met when a disgruntled worker goes postal. It’s clearly a murder done out of spiteful rage, and that rage clearly arises from Creo’s management practices. There’s also the case of the serial killer pre-surge, who was similarly motivated by hatred of Creo.

One time, someone at my work did a poo on the floor of the bathroom just because he knew the rear end in a top hat manager would have to clean it up. The pressures of the modern workplace make people do crazy things, and that pressure is felt by all workers on some level. The RP in this regard is a metaphor for all that emotion. If we see the surge as caused by the RP then it’s a surge of emotion, it’s everyone’s fury rising at once, transforming Creo into a building full of screaming killers. You see the RP as representative of people’s feelings in the boss fight, as they express smugness, anger, and resentment.

I’m getting sleepy so some quick points: Chavez is convinced that Resolve is headed in the right direction and she seems benevolent in her intentions. Resolve however is costing too much money, isn’t showing results, and some board members want to axe it for the cheaper Utopia. This is greedy and dangerous (because nanites are clearly not well understood). Consider for instance that Resolve was tested on plants while Utopia is tested on people. Whatever vestiges of humanity existed in Creo’s grand pursuits were purged by profit seeking.

My basic point is that The Surge finds no saviour to the imminent environmental crisis in capitalist enterprises, which by their nature thwart progress in pursuit of profit, and in that pursuit will continue to treat people and the earth like poo poo. And of course, there’s a bunch of emotion in response, simmering below the surface.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, CJacobs has called out the starting Lynx armour as overpowered because it gives an attack speed bonus at high levels of health. This may not sound like much, but considering that you'll be healing and dodging away from enemies after a few hits anyway, in practical terms it means that with a good staff or twin-rigged weapon, The Surge goes from Dark Souls to a wushu movie pretty damned quickly. And that's not combined with the implants that boost attack speed too.

The Lynx wouldn't have been overpowered if it had a similar limitation to the Rhino (i.e. requires you to be under the effects of a buff to get the attack speed bonus, or requires high energy, etc.), but then the game would've been in a position where there is one, arguably two S tier armor sets and you can't get either of them until well into the game or through an extremely difficult early encounter that suffers from RNG.

From where I'm sitting, there are four S tier armors:

Bloodied Proteus
Lynx
Chrysalis
MG Gorgon

These armors arguably give you set bonuses that are too strong, but of these only Lynx is outright useful 100% of the time. Proteus and Gorgon are heavy and Gorgon in particular is easily replaced by implants, while Chrysalis doesn't do anything during a boss fight. Lynx, meanwhile, stacks with the implant that grants the same effect and so long as you don't get hit attack speed is always monstrously powerful.

Meanwhile the rest of the armor sets are either underwhelming, have weak stats besides their set bonus, or just aren't worth using over similar sets.

I sort of think that having set bonuses at all was a mistake, since it limits your ability to wear what you want/mix and match armor sets and makes it so that most players will end up looking the same by the end. That they added implants that effectively grant armor set bonuses implies that they realized this, and I sort of hope that armor sets don't come back in any sequel or follow up and instead thy expand the implant system.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I kind of like the idea of set bonuses, but yeah, they could be implemented better. Personally, if they do go for the concept in a theoretical second game, I hope they give each item in a set a bonus, but the bonus is multiplied if you wear matching items. So for example, The Surge 2's Lynx armour pieces grant a +1% attack speed bonus per item, but when all 6 pieces are collected you get a +10% attack speed boost. This way, people like me who like having a unified look and sticking with it, as well as people who like to mix and match for the best bonuses, can both be happy.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Just wanna say the biggest disappointment in The Surge is the confusing layout, particularly the amount of tunnels and lifts used as transition points. It’s a bigger issue later in the game when you’re retreading old areas. I can basically picture Bloodborne and Dark Souls’ layouts in my head and map a course, but The Surge is too complicated and lacks visual signifiers for me to remember what is where. Central Production isn’t that big, but getting from A to B was frustrating towards the end because I couldn’t remember the shortcuts.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Did anyone else get unexpectedly lovely performance with this game ?

When it came out I was on an old i5 and 960 and it ran pretty good (~60fps) on high settings. Now I have an i7 8700K and a 1070 and it feels like its running worse. Sometimes it gets to 70-80fps but frequently dips to 40-50 so overall it feels choppy and bad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It has always run pretty well for me, but I was able to boost performance very significantly by turning off 'subsurface scattering', which has virtually no visual effect at all. It was a pretty night and day performance difference with it on vs off. If you haven't done that yet give it a try. The on/off toggle options at the bottom of the menu are big performance hogs.

edit: Also, for some reason the game set the 'scaling' option to 125% by default for me so make absolutely certain it's set to 100% or else it'll be downsampling from UHD res at all times and that will destroy your performance.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 17, 2018

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Yeah I am surprised because my initial impression was that the surge was well optimised on PC. Of course I can turn settings down but I didn't think I would have to on this system :/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not necessarily the game's fault, technology like subsurface scattering and realtime shadows is still very very much in its early stages. I recall Dead Rising 3 has the same issue where as soon as you turn that exact same stuff on your performance drops like a frickin stone into a lake. It is still a bummer though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 17, 2018

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

snoremac posted:

Okay, I caught up on lorechat in this thread and I’m really taken by how interesting the story and world end up being. I’m getting sleepy so some quick points: Chavez is convinced that Resolve is headed in the right direction and she seems benevolent in her intentions. Resolve however is costing too much money, isn’t showing results, and some board members want to axe it for the cheaper Utopia. This is greedy and dangerous (because nanites are clearly not well understood). Consider for instance that Resolve was tested on plants while Utopia is tested on people. Whatever vestiges of humanity existed in Creo’s grand pursuits were purged by profit seeking.

My basic point is that The Surge finds no saviour to the imminent environmental crisis in capitalist enterprises, which by their nature thwart progress in pursuit of profit, and in that pursuit will continue to treat people and the earth like poo poo. And of course, there’s a bunch of emotion in response, simmering below the surface.

CREO Headquarters is, like any good video game setting (and not unlike Lordran in Dark Souls), a setting where several different Bad Things have been happening and are happening at once. I don't see the Rogue Process as the solitary "villain" or source of all CREO's evils, it's really just the embodiment of them, to the point of assuming the distorted identities of its unwitting creator and financiers.

I think CREO was founded for genuinely good, if perhaps somewhat egotistical reasons. Guttenburg probably really though he could be the man who saved the world, and Resolve seems like it could one day have been that solution. However, greed and impatience absolutely got in the way, and it seemed that the side effects of Resolve had also started causing terrorist attacks on CREO properties. So, even outside its bottom line, CREO has the whole weight of the world riding on its shoulders. Everyone is depending on them, and that's an added pressure to hurry up and solve the problem.

The thing with Utopia, as I understand it, is that the appeal isn't that it is cheaper or faster, even if it is -- Utopia is the 1 percenters dream. Their estimations seemed to suggest that a certain amount of people would survive and/or evolve to integrate with the Nanites. So I think those who wanted Utopia believed that it would leave the world as a promised land for the privileged few. The board was divided, though, and you can sort of see the ranging spectrum of ego, greed and madness that consisted it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The thing with Utopia, as I understand it, is that the appeal isn't that it is cheaper or faster, even if it is -- Utopia is the 1 percenters dream. Their estimations seemed to suggest that a certain amount of people would survive and/or evolve to integrate with the Nanites. So I think those who wanted Utopia believed that it would leave the world as a promised land for the privileged few. The board was divided, though, and you can sort of see the ranging spectrum of ego, greed and madness that consisted it.
So kinda like Bioshock’s Rapture, complete with the lack of foresight? That’s an interesting take.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Here's my completely needless wishlist for The Surge 2

1. New setting, verdant setting -- set the game in a tropical or jungle environment, maybe like a sci-fi resort in South America. CREO World has lots of really nice colors and pop to it, so this team can do something pretty cool with their environments. I'd rather they show us some fancy pants corporate retreat then take us to a space station or something, the game doesn't need more excuses for samey locations.

2. Explore a new avenue for the plot -- CREO seems fairly wrapped up by the Surge's end, and there's a sort of sequel hook, but the game more or less resolves its main plot to my satisfaction. I'd rather not retread the same ground, particularly the same late game twist, and would rather a new incident of greed, carelessness and hubris be the catalyst for whatever disaster befalls the sequel. Similarly, I don't want to return to Warren as the PC, though I do want him to show up, preferably alive.

3. Make weapons more unique -- To be honest, compared to Nioh, the Surge does this pretty good already, but a lot of weapons feel kind of samey and similar. Take a note from Bloodborne and do a small amount of highly unique and memorable weapons and you'll be better off. It'd make finding weapons all the more rewarding, and allow you to be more creative with them, since they'll be a luxury.

4. Improve drones and enable more specialization -- you don't have to do the Souls-style "level up every stat individually" but at the same time, by the end of the game and into new game plus you're basically only limited by your weapon proficiency, which is fine to a point, but replay value is greatly heightened if I can choose to go through a game different ways each time (Bloodborne, for instance, initially had it very hard to max out a weapon, encouraging you to specialize in one that you'd bring to its greatest potential. So, every time you play through again, you can choose a different weapon and have a different experience.)

5. Less twerps, more tanks -- I'd like more larger enemies overall. Fighting the big cranes is a lot of fun because they feel a bit like a puzzle, seeking a weakpoint and exploiting it. It'd be great to see more larger enemies and a greater sense of scale.

6. More enemy types -- you have a variety of attack options and elements like fire, ice, electricity and so on, but there's not enough enemy variety to really capitalize on that. I'd like, for instance, poison to be a viable attack option for you in a sequel, so to have large biological enemies, large mechanical enemies, each challenging in different ways and encouraging different approaches depending on your lodout.

7. More environment hazards and equipment to surmount it -- give me extreme cold (a big meat locker maybe), extreme heat, maybe an underwater sequence requiring a diving suit armor that sucks (but could be upgraded via secret methods to be awesome maybe!?) and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
WOW OH MY GOD HOLY poo poo

https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/4954/announcing-the-surge-2

quote:

We're excited to announce the development of The Surge 2!

After the success of The Surge, our hardcore Action RPG released in May 2017 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, we are happy to announce the renewal of the partnership between Deck13 and Focus Home Interactive and the development of The Surge 2, with a release date planned for 2019 on consoles and PC.

The Surge 2 keeps what fans and critics loved about the original – hardcore combat utilizing a unique, dynamic limb targeting system and deep character progression – while also expanding greatly upon the formula.

The Surge 2 takes place in a brand new environment: a sprawling, devastated city with larger and more ambitious level design, made possible by Deck13’s upgraded and improved engine.

Combat is more brutal and tactical than ever, with even more options thanks to an expanded limb targeting system. In addition, more abilities, weapons, implants, and drones give players a vast arsenal to build their character with, in their fight against the array of diverse new enemies and bosses.

More information about The Surge 2 will be unveiled at Le What’s Next de Focus – February 7-8, the yearly press event organized by the French publisher in Paris. Deck13 will talk more about their new title to the international press, so stay tuned.

The Surge 2 will release on consoles and PC in 2019.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 7, 2018

• Locked thread