Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

my morning jackass posted:

I didn’t make it far, there is really a small margin of error with the weapon degradation and the amount of health the enemies have.

yeah thats what my problem with it is its not the difficulty level its the lack of any semblance of balancing done for master mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

although trying it now with the upgraded bomb recharge might be better

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

master mode sounds awful. i would just run away from everything

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I definitely didn't have the patience for it. I love the idea of new and different mobs (the dudes who spawn on balloon platforms and stuff) but the added HP coupled with the fact that they regen health just made it feel like horrible slog.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, it makes it less interesting imo. In regular mode you come up with a cool way to sneak up on a camp and ambush the enemy with exploding barrels or whatever that take half of them out right at the start. In master mode you can theoretically do that but it doesn't kill anyone and they all regen so there's no point.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

P-Mack posted:

Yeah, it makes it less interesting imo. In regular mode you come up with a cool way to sneak up on a camp and ambush the enemy with exploding barrels or whatever that take half of them out right at the start. In master mode you can theoretically do that but it doesn't kill anyone and they all regen so there's no point.

you have to develop new strategies. waiting for everyone to fall asleep and slinking through with attack+ armor to murk everyone quietly is how i got through early stages of master mode. once your equipment gets to a certain level it gets as easy as normal mode

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Master Mode gets a lot better after the Plateau, you just really need to use other stuff like +attack food and ice arrows to CC enemies. You can't just backflip and mash attack to clear every single encounter. I actually enjoyed it a lot more, after 2 divine beasts on normal I don't think I died a single time. It also makes the Calamity Ganon fight a challenge instead of a total pushover. The champions ballad stuff was fun too, but gently caress the trial of the sword

Also for people having a rough time in the early game, set your sticks/clubs on fire they do a ton more damage.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

GameCube posted:

master mode sounds awful. i would just run away from everything

its cool the recharging health really changes up the combat in a way that is really exciting, although I wish i could like copy my master mode save over to a Regular mode file when i just want to take it easy

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Maybe I'll give it another chance sometime, thanks dudes.

What triggered the silver lynels showing up everywhere in regular mode?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Completing all 4 divine beasts iirc.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah i like master mode a lot for forcing you to use all the mechanics in the game because you can't just run in and cut everyone (anyone) down. but i started over on switch and did 2 divine beasts on master mode and then wanted to hurry to the dlc so i'm catching up on normal mode now and am nowhere near it

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The only thing I really don't like in Master mode is Trials of the Sword. I had to read internet stuff before I could even make progress the thirty minute attack boosts before starting the trial and even then it took forever.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

well poo poo. i guess i've got an excuse to put another 200 hours into botw

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

GameCube posted:

well poo poo. i guess i've got an excuse to put another 200 hours into botw

i did normal mode on wii u then went through the whole game again on master mode after getting a switch. both the new mode and system made the experience fresh and i can't recommend it enough

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I couldn’t find the post your dream games thread but I hope they make a Zelda set 10000 ago in the super high tech setting where everyone has laser swords and forcefields

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Master mode is cool because using charged melee attacks is insanely useful and feels necessary at times. Also there is a lot of incentive to complete the divine beasts quickly for the power ups that feel way more useful in master mode (especially urbosas fury)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

R. Guyovich posted:

i did normal mode on wii u then went through the whole game again on master mode after getting a switch. both the new mode and system made the experience fresh and i can't recommend it enough

i also got botw on wii u and now i have a switch. i have a million other things to spend money on before i buy a game & dlc again though

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

Yeah i did this as well and feel the same way lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I owned a Wii U but just waited to get a switch and pretended it was switch only

I feel like I would have been much less impressed with the switch if I played botw already

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
i've only played a few hours of botw, because odyssey took up all my time. is it possible to play master mode on your first run? it sounds really cool, and this game looks so loving huge i doubt i'll play it twice

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

i've only played a few hours of botw, because odyssey took up all my time. is it possible to play master mode on your first run? it sounds really cool, and this game looks so loving huge i doubt i'll play it twice

Yeah but it’s really not worth it. The original mode is more fun and provides an adequate challenge. If you want to pick it up again someday do master then.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

my morning jackass posted:

Yeah but it’s really not worth it. The original mode is more fun and provides an adequate challenge. If you want to pick it up again someday do master then.

ok cool, i'll get back to dying to rocks falling on me then

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

a three heart run on normal mode would probably be a more fun challenge than master mode tbqh

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
This game should have randomly generated Master Trial style areas a la Chalice Dungeons. The trials are cool but going through the identical boring beginning floors sucks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

didnt realize there was another zelda thread for the dlc. just killed my first gold lynel in master, its exactly like all the other lynels but it had more health!

i like having to be scrappy in fights even in the endgame, when every mob is silver/gold you cant just run in there mashing Y and slaughter everything with strong weps, that got boring fast on the normal setting. so overall i definitely like it more than normal

but i wish there was more new stuff and enemy behaviors, the bosses are completely unchanged which is a huge bummer (in the water beast, the dungeon gives you a royal halberd, and that alone vaporizes the boss with durability to spare. like cmon), cant imagine it wouldve been difficult at all to give them more HP and damage and they just didnt lol.

i havent reached any of the champions ballad stuff, still making my way through the main game (2 beasts to go), but i hear a lot of good things so im excited.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

More hp and more damage is the worst way to do difficulty so its good the bosses arent changed

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I never feel like going back to a game I played months ago to do dlc, even if I really liked it and wanted more at the time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

More hp and more damage is the worst way to do difficulty so its good the bosses arent changed

idk so far master mode has turned a game that was mostly about mashing attack on everything into a game where im carefully considering my options in nearly every encounter, even with an arsenal of lynel gear in my pocket. i know not everyone is going to have the patience for this (or the very early bits where combat is not an option at all) but i love it personally

i guess im just disappointed that they made no changes to the main quests whatsoever, you even spot some green/red enemies with weak gear in main story areas which is just weird and feels like an oversight

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The champions ballad dlc is perfect on master mode but the trial of the sword can absolutely go gently caress itself

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im trying to do eventide island without the lightning power and its uhh, proving to be interesting lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

extremebuff posted:

im trying to do eventide island without the lightning power and its uhh, proving to be interesting lol

eventide on master mode was another example of what you're talking about, you have to scavenge and cook and think carefully the whole time

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

eventide on master mode was another example of what you're talking about, you have to scavenge and cook and think carefully the whole time

yeah its a lot of fun, ive just never died there before and didnt expect to be sent out to the tiny neighboring island and have to start all over and i blew a fuse because i was almost done lol

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I am almost done the champions ballad but the final boss is loving hard when he goes into his second stage. I can’t hit him fast enough to stop him from recovering his health.

I completely forgot about eventide in this play through. Should be a fun challenge. It’s always interesting to hear about the ways everyone completed it.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

You gotta just try to hit him anywhere with arrows often enough to keep the recharge from happening

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i beat eventide, turns out you dont HAVE to fight the hinox. or anything at all. i didnt know you could parasail onto him and grab the ball and be on your way lol. all other fights can be totally avoided

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

extremebuff posted:

i beat eventide, turns out you dont HAVE to fight the hinox. or anything at all. i didnt know you could parasail onto him and grab the ball and be on your way lol. all other fights can be totally avoided

Yeah I eventually killed him but I also had success statising him to get it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

should i do the Master Sword gauntlet thing or the new dungeons from champions ballad first? those are the only things i have left.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

should i do the Master Sword gauntlet thing or the new dungeons from champions ballad first? those are the only things i have left.

Do the master sword first cause it's way lamer and would be a lovely way to finish an epic journey.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Do the master sword first cause it's way lamer and would be a lovely way to finish an epic journey.

yeah, that makes sense. Is it about Cave of Ordeals from TP difficulty? I hate gauntlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://twitter.com/insanelybuff/status/962255143776305152

• Locked thread