Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The only way I can imagine they'd find an audience is if they go really reactionary. Play up the flag-worship and make a big deal about banning player protests during games. Loosen up the safety regulations and let players clobber the poo poo out of each other again.

What could possibly go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ideal world: XFL lasts until the CBA and the NFL locks the players out again so the XFL gets teams of NFL all stars

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't think what high a head on pike we're hanging here to say that these people literally will sell this to the masses.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Can you imagine trying to watch a football game with the announcers using WWE's awful corporate-branded verbiage?

"Johnny Manziel drops back, creates separation ... OH WHAT A MOVE, THIS COULD GET THEM A CHAMPIONSHIP OPPORTUNITY"
"THE XFL2 UNIVERSE IS LOVING IT MAGGLE"
"Please welcome my guest at this time, Tim Tebow"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You can watch every XFL game LIVE and REPLAYS for only $9.99.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

This will fail becaus no one actually likes smash mouth football

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Benne posted:

Can you imagine trying to watch a football game with the announcers using WWE's awful corporate-branded verbiage?

"Johnny Manziel drops back, creates separation ... OH WHAT A MOVE, THIS COULD GET THEM A CHAMPIONSHIP OPPORTUNITY"
"THE XFL2 UNIVERSE IS LOVING IT MAGGLE"
"Please welcome my guest at this time, Tim Tebow"

Better than Joe Buck

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

shyduck posted:

I wonder which cable channel this'll be buried on

If history is any precedent, USA.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

xfl on pbs is supported by our generous sponsors and viewers like you

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I would assume lots of players wouldn’t want to play for the anti protest league (and all that entails) and so you’re draining the talent pool even further.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TheBizzness posted:

I would assume lots of players wouldn’t want to play for the anti protest league (and all that entails) and so you’re draining the talent pool even further.

not gonna lie if they were labeled the 'anti protest league' I would love to see a protest outside the stadium outnumber the attendees. I feel like that could actually happen

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It'll probably die but just imagine if Jerry Jones is crazy enough to go to Vince just to spite Roger

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Because of the call it 'lower middle class' of NFL players being pushed out of the league a year or so after their rookie deals, and good but old veterans suddenly ending their careers two years early, there are good football players who aren't in the NFL.

Arena football has the fast paced action you'd think people might want from football, some teams do good business based on ticket sales. There's enough interest to support a few leagues, although at very minor league salaries.

One of the biggest reasons the XFL failed was the disdain the sporting press held it in. It wasn't the NFL so noses were held. Remember NFL writers mocking Al Davis's skin cancer? They really like towing the company line. With the internet there's a chance for reportage outside that, but there's also a chance for immediate backlash and for the sport's abandonment.

People are already queasy about football hits, so selling it based on bigger hits like the original is out of the question.

The absence of good pro style quarterbacks is much discussed, maybe if they ran 100 yard professional- college football offenses, spreading the ball, running like crazy, and having plenty of spread QBs and linemen who are good at what they do means there's a talent pool.

Making it like big time spread focused college football with wrestling style pageantry and an accompanying reality show so people can bond with characters is a way it could succeed.

The main problem is that second tier, non college leagues who try to compete with established leagues haven't done well for any length of time, since maybe the WHL? Americans really hate the idea that they're not watching the best of the best, like random Joe hates that he's wasting his time watching the 60th best QB instead of the 44th. He's a special guy, only the best for him. There would need to be a hook, a way to keep venues full, and lots of content and churn.

The XFL did bring the great zippy zip camera. If they could use that QB view camera all the time it would be great. There are lots of ways of covering the game that aren't being used that could be brought to the public's attention.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Dejan Bimble posted:

Because of the call it 'lower middle class' of NFL players being pushed out of the league a year or so after their rookie deals, and good but old veterans suddenly ending their careers two years early, there are good football players who aren't in the NFL.

Arena football has the fast paced action you'd think people might want from football, some teams do good business based on ticket sales. There's enough interest to support a few leagues, although at very minor league salaries.

One of the biggest reasons the XFL failed was the disdain the sporting press held it in. It wasn't the NFL so noses were held. Remember NFL writers mocking Al Davis's skin cancer? They really like towing the company line. With the internet there's a chance for reportage outside that, but there's also a chance for immediate backlash and for the sport's abandonment.

People are already queasy about football hits, so selling it based on bigger hits like the original is out of the question.

The absence of good pro style quarterbacks is much discussed, maybe if they ran 100 yard professional- college football offenses, spreading the ball, running like crazy, and having plenty of spread QBs and linemen who are good at what they do means there's a talent pool.

Making it like big time spread focused college football with wrestling style pageantry and an accompanying reality show so people can bond with characters is a way it could succeed.

The main problem is that second tier, non college leagues who try to compete with established leagues haven't done well for any length of time, since maybe the WHL? Americans really hate the idea that they're not watching the best of the best, like random Joe hates that he's wasting his time watching the 60th best QB instead of the 44th. He's a special guy, only the best for him. There would need to be a hook, a way to keep venues full, and lots of content and churn.

The XFL did bring the great zippy zip camera. If they could use that QB view camera all the time it would be great. There are lots of ways of covering the game that aren't being used that could be brought to the public's attention.

Counterpoint to every single thing you said: Vince McMahon.

There's no hope of good football, because players good enough for pro football will just sign with an NFL team instead of the trashy bush league (with zero benefits or health coverage because lol no players union here). It'll be nothing but the godawful rejects and Jeff Fisher-type shitheads who properly washed out of pro football for good reasons.

Add in the obvious MAGA inspirations, and Vince's long, well-documented history of embarrassing failure outside of pro wrestling, and this will all just be history repeating itself.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Benne posted:

Counterpoint to every single thing you said: Vince McMahon.

There's no hope of good football, because players good enough for pro football will just sign with an NFL team instead of the trashy bush league (with zero benefits or health coverage because lol no players union here). It'll be nothing but the godawful rejects and Jeff Fisher-type shitheads who properly washed out of pro football for good reasons.

Add in the obvious MAGA inspirations, and Vince's long, well-documented history of embarrassing failure outside of pro wrestling, and this will all just be history repeating itself.

This is exactly right.

It's going to be promoted with all of the trashy XFL things that brought the league down, the talent pool won't be there, and it will ultimately fail.

A league that would work, for what it's worth, would be a mini-league in the spring/summer that would essentially act as auditioning for NFL training camp rosters during the time between the NFL draft and training camp (and during the time when the sports world is down to just baseball).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Its looking like being called UFL: Your Football League based on trademarks

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What if they purposefully assemble the worst defenses possible so there’s lots of scoring.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Yodzilla posted:

What if they purposefully assemble the worst defenses possible so there’s lots of scoring.

The horrible defenses will be negated by inexcusable drops and inaccurate QBs overthrowing wide open receivers by 10 yards.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait arent we meant to post something like "isn't that just called the Big 12"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Chip Kelly is going to be a coach in this league. Along with Jeff Fisher

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

algebra testes posted:

Its looking like being called UFL: Your Football League based on trademarks

Ur Football League

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Athanatos posted:

Brock can make an NFL roster. This was/is an entire league of guys who cant.

It's a league of people who look up to Brock Osweiler's skill

Well, that takes care of the QB position.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Have a full tournament in the first few weeks to determine the champion, then let's play by wrestling rules for real, and whoever wins gets the belt. Then you can just play football 52 weeks a year and multiple cities can be XFL Super Bowl champions.

As for the network, well hell, you already have a WWE network, put the games on there.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

CyberPingu posted:

Chip Kelly is going to be a coach in this league. Along with Jeff Fisher

They can’t afford to pay Chip Kelly what UCLA is.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Vince can't even do good wrestling tournaments and he can book the outcome, so him doing a football one would be a 100% worse

So I'm in

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
it;s loving perfect that we will get to see jeff fisher and john fox coach against each other in whatever super bowl equivalent this is going to have.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Steve Austin can finally get a new Las Vegas Outlaws jersey

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Vince can't even do good wrestling tournaments and he can book the outcome, so him doing a football one would be a 100% worse

So I'm in

He could rig the XFL too to get the outcome he wants. Who would care?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They should just go all-in and make the whole thing a work. Predetermined outcomes, heel teams, cutting promos on each other in the middle of the game, and, of course, the best thing in all of wrestling -- ripping off your shirt to reveal another shirt of your true allegiance.

It's not like the actual football will be worth a drat.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Benne posted:

They should just go all-in and make the whole thing a work. Predetermined outcomes, heel teams, cutting promos on each other in the middle of the game, and, of course, the best thing in all of wrestling -- ripping off your shirt to reveal another shirt of your true allegiance.

It's not like the actual football will be worth a drat.

Finally, a real life NFL Blitz.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Silly Burrito posted:

Finally, a real life NFL Blitz.

i'll take 8 season passes

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Why does he think this will work? The XFL was a massive failure, people recall it as an embarrassment, no major networks are going to carry it, the talent pool will be non-existent.

What is his logic here?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Yaws posted:

What is his logic here?

HE'S VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON DAMNIT

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Enough time has passed that there is now a nostalgia factor at play. People will be ironically watching and enjoying it

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yaws posted:

Why does he think this will work? The XFL was a massive failure, people recall it as an embarrassment, no major networks are going to carry it, the talent pool will be non-existent.

What is his logic here?

He is a stupid old coservative that thinks football is ruined by crying about head injuries and distespecting our flag and that he can get a tv company to foot the bill to broadcast a new league because people need ~content~

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

He could rig the XFL too to get the outcome he wants. Who would care?

WWE tournaments as a whole for the main roster are always bad even with Vince controlling the results. I have no reason to believe the XFL 2 would be different

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Maybe it will be a spring/summer league. I'd watch that.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Enough time has passed that there is now a nostalgia factor at play. People will be ironically watching and enjoying it

Just look at this thread lol

nah
Mar 16, 2009

yeah I'll probably tune in myself for the giggles but in all honesty I hope it's unironically good and watchable. the NFL needs some sort of competition to humble it dear God please let it happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If the XFL works this time, maybe someone other than EA would get the license to make the video games and the completion would rock the Madden series out of the doldrums it's been in for years.