Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Typo posted:

if this is serious and not some 15 yr old meme from 2003 then this is insanely optimistic even for the equivalent of operation iranian freedom

it’s meme-ly serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The iran war post is what grover posted in D&D at the beginning of Iraq :ssh:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

bump_fn posted:

this thread is for predicting what stupid nightmare poo poo will go down once trump decides to invade Iran on false pretences

It's way more likely to be North Korea than Iran.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Robot posted:

Wgaaat no way

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Willie Tomg posted:

lmao even in their propaganda the saudis have americans doing the actual fighting, what weak garbage people

national anthem of saudi arabia

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peanut President posted:

The iran war post is what grover posted in D&D at the beginning of Iraq :ssh:

the basis of his predictions were as solid as his house

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No it's https://youtu.be/Nqb-1Lf4QX4

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

That Robot posted:

lmfao no

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

Don't start a war you can't win imo

should have said that to Tony Blair

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
can't wait for this country to declare war on somebody who actually knows how to fight, so we can have all our trillion-dollar equipment explode when the wind gets too strong or something and then we'll have to buy more

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

think of all the jobs

technicians, electricians, mechanics, gravediggers

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
no gravediggers necessary, it'll be cremated already

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

That Robot posted:

Not with usable nuclear weapons it isn't.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

logikv9 posted:

can't wait for this country to declare war on somebody who actually knows how to fight, so we can have all our trillion-dollar equipment explode when the wind gets too strong or something and then we'll have to buy more
unironically

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
cannot wait to be conscripted for Theresa May's Persian Carpet Bombing campaign

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
somewhere in dc there are some guys just waiting for their chance to pitch nuking Mecca

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Typo posted:

if this is serious and not some 15 yr old meme from 2003 then this is insanely optimistic even for the equivalent of operation iranian freedom

posting on SA and wondering if something is serious or merely wasn't even that funny 15 years ago. smh...

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

does war against your own populace count?

:thunk:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

should have said that to Tony Blair

i don't think h'ed have listened to 13 year old me

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Kim jong un do the needful

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
If he decides to do a war we will never forget him, so of course he's gonna do a war

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/ColinKahl/status/943642467307540480

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/943636912702664704

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/943825902311526400

Sure feels like the run up to the Iraq War.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

What is this from?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dead gay son posted:

What is this from?

Shadow President

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/12/if-this-is-true-nothing-else-really-matters

quote:

Worse, there’s evidence that this isn’t just rhetoric. Yesterday, The Telegraph issued an exclusive report that the United States, believing diplomatic options may have been exhausted, is actively preparing to attack North Korea:

America is drawing up plans for a “bloody nose” military attack on North Korea to stop its nuclear weapons programme, The Telegraph understands. The White House has “dramatically” stepped up preparation for a military solution in recent months amid fears diplomacy is not working, well-placed sources said. Three sources – two former US officials familiar with current thinking and a third figure in the administration – confirmed military options were being worked up. The Pentagon is trying to find options that would allow them to punch the North Koreans in the nose…

If The Telegraph‘s reporting is correct, this is the most important news story of the moment. Compared to the possibility of war with North Korea, everything else looks insignificant. This has potentially more serious consequences for human lives than anything else going on right now.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
a short victorious war against a nuclear power with nothing to lose

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

But there are also some concerning new factual developments. For one thing, “though December is normally rather quiet for military drills, the US this month brought in a record number of stealth aircraft to train up on an air war against North Korea.” Ten days ago it was reported that China has begun to plan new refugee camps along the North Korean border, suggesting it sees war as a real possibility. China has also apparently distributed printed advice for how to survive a nuclear attack to residents along the border. Business Insider says that “the US and China are preparing for all hell to break loose in North Korea.”

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

bump_fn posted:

lol if u weren't old enough to be in a state of absolute terror scared u were gonna get drafted after 9/11

my group of friends were seriously discussing forming a commune to avoid it

oh, past me, there are so many things to warn you about. and yet, i cannot

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Not with usable nuclear weapons it isn't.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

America is a rogue state

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

but dumber somehow. iraq had the medias backing and was able to get bipartisan support through bloody shirt bullshit against a lovely broken regeme. they have none of that now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

America is a rogue state

yeah, thats where we are headed it seems. i think trump will pull out of the UN because he is a baby bitch.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Mariana Horchata posted:

im gonna watch the state of the union to hopefully watch trump have an accident

if he has an accident you wont be able to see it, he'll be wearing a diaper and standing behind a lectern

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, thats where we are headed it seems. i think trump will pull out of the UN because he is a baby bitch.

do it you fat gently caress

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the South Koreans need to be screaming their heads off to stop this, because the North Koreans aren't going to retaliate on California.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the South Koreans need to be screaming their heads off to stop this, because the North Koreans aren't going to retaliate on California.

south korea needs to no joke open a trump hotel seoul right now, it will render them invulnerable

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

logikv9 posted:

south korea needs to no joke open a trump hotel seoul right now, it will render them invulnerable

same but it's Trump Pyeongyang instead

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress it, :toxx: me up a ban for Trump to not invade N. Korea. I'm fine eating the :20bux: for it if I'm wrong. He can't be that loving dumb.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

kim just needs to invite trump over and flatter him with a big parade and the next thing you know we'll be the ones providing NK with the nuclear secrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Prav posted:

How long will it take to capture Tehran? 2 days
Will Khamenei be killed? Yes
Total Iranian civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iran: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iranian army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Revolutionary Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Khamenei mine the strait? Yes
Will Khamenei launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Khamenei sacrifice Tehran (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iraq do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Khamenei burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iran? ~15 years
Will the Iranian war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the tehran bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

it's depressing that more people aren't recognizing this