Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

http://make.girls.moe generates anime faces

https://twitter.com/namaniku0/status/942993616976220160

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUkQbGaL4Fg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6zZPn-6dPY

A demonstration that a single neural network trained by GAN can generate a variety of images. All images in the same panel coordinate are generated from the same latent variable, and therefore its meaning is preserved over different classes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

From the neuroscience side, it's funny to see computer scientists rediscovering poo poo that's in the cortex.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

once we get machine translation down, self driving cars will be right around the corner
(actual machine translation 1700s Danish > English)

Was it OCRed? OCR to machine translation is a lot of fun to deal with.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://worldmodels.github.io/

A robot that dreams about doom, then plays in the dream levels, then uses what it learns from its dreams to inform real doom playing

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

all the code is open source for doing this, which means you just have to spend a good twenty or so hours getting everything configured, then you can make UNLIMITED seventy dollar images, walla!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Watching a bunch of recent computerphile videos about neural networks and "deepart"-style stuff, they say that even on the most optimized code so far, downscaling the images, with the 6 or so class-identifiers that are required for the "art" part of it to work out (finding edges, objects, backgrounds, foregrounds, animals/humans, pupils, mouths), it chugs their 8x12GB graphics card machine to a standstill for a few minutes. They speculate that places like deepart get away with doing things in batches on drastically scaled hardware that is shared with a more profit-focused venture. Remember: doubling the dimensions quadruples the pixels and octuples edge-finding algorithms.

Scale all that back to, say, a 2x8GB SLI'd gaming-hardware focused machine on non-server CPUs, and you'd be up poo poo creek with an $8 power bill for half a day.

You can dramatically decrease processing requirements if you optimize your network. Like, by three orders of magnitude - you can do images in a couple seconds on a phone.

https://jeffxtang.github.io/cnn,/deep/learning,/ai,/ios,/tensorflow/2017/02/19/fast-neural-style-on-ios.html

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Procedurally generated representation and renderings of scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-kWNQJ4idw

https://deepmind.com/blog/neural-scene-representation-and-rendering/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I tried using the deepart site to restyle this image with a similar WWII image

it didn't work as planned

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"Grover's House"

for this one I put in the title then iterated panel numbers, I'm surprised it vaguely works

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Aug 18, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Black August posted:

20 more years and we won't even need actors beyond a voice for the ultrareal motion ghosts made to perfection on the chrome screen

Why would you need that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnFC-s2nOtI

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

twoday posted:

Wow, this thread is getting pretty scary. Does anyone have any ideas for how I could feed a bunch of posts from a particular something awful thread into one of these procedurally generated text dealies?

if you want to just dick around, there are a lot of free markov chain tools (like this guy https://projects.haykranen.nl/markov/demo/)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Obvious fake.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Am crossposting the best poo poo to AFP

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bigGAN generated a lot of food - check images 18 and 19 from the gdrive

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

End of Shoelace posted:

im not owned! im not owned!!

A bottle of hard liquor is the intermediate between corn and man :hmmyes:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876229

A neat GAN breeder got its own GBS thread.

I made something then animated it

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 08:14 on Jan 7, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The directional lighting on S2P is hit and miss, but when it hits it's really nice.

Anyway more horrible thigns

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Jan 8, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dang I am having way too much fun screwing around

It's neat that the intermediate step grows a cardinal-style beak for a few frames.

Access granted.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 07:42 on Jan 8, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Waifu2x does a similarly good job with anime pictures.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Unless you set up a filter like this to take time into account, you usually end up with irritating image flickering when processing video

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

yea it flickers still but 1-2 years ago the whole image would jump and twist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayPqjPekn7g

And as the paper says, that neural net isn't doing video by using blind frame-by-frame processing.

So trying to just apply the ESRGAN to video frame-by-frame is gonna have some pretty big problems - you'd have to design a different network and train it again from scratch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ganbreeder got an upgrade. Now you can create random mutations off a given image, with a controllable level of divergence.

I've got a video tutorial of how to use it, sorry about the low quality camrip i dont know how to do screenshots

plz like and subscrib

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/genekogan/status/1093181333457829888

neat feature transfer thing

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jabor posted:

He's a hitman that's known for drowning people.

you can dredge the lake all you want, you won't find a molecule of the guy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wow, yeah, https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/ is really neat. I could see a good GBS thread coming out of it - doing profiles for each person you see or something.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Holy poo poo. Go ahead and post one, OP doesn't even need any more than what you just said

In the spirit of :justpost: I did
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882144

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

turns out it's not that hard to get a working version of stylegan running in full reverse.

https://i.imgur.com/dRXE3Il.mp4 https://i.imgur.com/bc6qW6J.mp4

picard based off this image

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Feb 15, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Here's a huge dump of 500 random texts output from it

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openai/gpt-2/master/gpt2-samples.txt

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The stuff in the openAI dump is great and also very bad.

Some sort of SCP poo poo I dunno posted:

One night, I was at a local bar when a large truck stopped on the road which lead to the Ocean Club. I was at the bar when the police arrived on the scene. They were a group of officers from the Port Police Department who were there to assist with the search of the car. I had to be with them for a few minutes on the scene to help them locate the car.

They asked me where the car was parked. I told them that it was parked in a lot next to the Ocean Club. They asked where the car was located. I told them that the car was found in the parking lot next to Ocean Club. They asked me what the car was doing there. I told them that it was parked in the lot next to the Ocean Club. They asked me what was in the car. I told them that there was a shopping bag in the boot of the car. They told me to look inside the boot. When I opened the boot, I was shocked to see human blood. I was very shocked and I did not ask them any further questions.

I was given a copy of the police report in which the police stated that the blood was human blood. The report also stated that the blood was found in the boot of the car. I was extremely shocked by this report. I was able to confirm that the blood was human blood. I believe this blood was from my son.

I have no doubt that the blood was from my son. I believe that there is a very good chance that it was from my son. I have no doubt that the blood was from my son. I have no doubt that the blood was from my son.

I interviewed my son, who told me the following:

"On the night of the murders, I was driving home from work. I was asleep in the back seat of the car. I was driving north to the Ocean Club when I saw blood on the road. I slowed down and stopped the car. I walked to the side of the road, switched on the emergency lights and called 911. I was on the phone with 911 for about 45 minutes until the police arrived on the scene. I was able to identify the blood which was my son's blood.

I am positive that my son was murdered. I am positive that he was murdered. I am positive that he was murdered."

I asked my son about the blood on the road. He told me that it was blood. This was his version of events. It is my belief that he was trying to account for the blood on the road. This is why he was calling 911. At the time of the phone call, he was not aware that there was a police investigation.

In February of 2008, my son responded to a request for an interview. My son was a qualified fireman and he had been trained on how to handle a fire. He had been trained on how to resuscitate someone who had died in a fire. He had been trained on how to extract the victim's organs. He had been trained on how to extract the victim's organs. He had been trained on how to extract the victim's organs.

He had been trained on how to extract the victim's organs. He had been trained on how to extract the victim's organs. He had been trained on how to extract the victim's organs. He had been trained on how to extract the victim's organs.

He had been trained on how to extract the victim's organs. He had been trained on how to extract the victim's organs

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A friend of mine linked me this, also from openai

quote:

Kroot: a species of reptilian alien soldiers, with a penchant for eating a particular type of cheese!

The Kroot are a faction of aliens from Warhammer 40k that were introduced in the latest codex, White Dwarf #15. They've come from the distant star-plexes of Kroot, which are a major source of the Imperium's food. They are particularly adept at cheese-eating.

History [ edit ]

White Dwarf article: Kroot [1]

The Imperial Guard are already in love with Kroot cheese. We all want to taste the delicious, sweet, and savoury tang of Kroot cheese! This may seem like nothing more than a passing fancy, but the Kroot have a more nefarious plan in mind! The Kroot are in the grip of a conspiracy to enslave humanity, and they'll use their cheese-eating skills in order to corrupt them, turning them into mindless Kroot slaves. This plan is, of course, all part of their plan!

Kroot and the Emperor [ edit ]

The Kroot were originally from Kroot, a star system located in the Eye of Terror as well as the largest one of its kind. The Imperium originally feared Kroot were a threat, as they are well known for eating flesh and have a predilection for cheese-eating. But this had been taken to an insane level after the Kroot discovered cheese-eating was a potent mind-control tactic. The Kroot quickly took advantage of this, and as the Imperium could no longer be sure of the food supplies of humans, they adopted the Kroot as an alien species. The Imperium hoped that if the Kroot adopted humans like a new form of domesticated pigs, they would adopt a similar mindset, and become loyal servants of the Imperium. The Kroot were granted to the Imperium as war beasts, and given new lives that were better than life as common Kroot.

This plan failed. With a single act of arrogance, the Kroot killed off the Emperor of Mankind and began using their skills as mind controlled slaves to enslave the rest of the galaxy. A new species of Kroot was born. This time, they ate cheese. These Kroot came to be feared throughout the galaxy as the "Witchhunters" or simply "Kroot" for short.

The Kroot Wars, the Imperium's first foray into fighting off a non-human race, has been raging in the Eye for a decade. The Imperium has sent out vast fleets of ships, some containing the Imperial Guard, against the Kroot in attempts to conquer the Kroot homeworlds of Kroot, Kroot, Kroot. But the Kroot have proven more than a match for the Imperial Navy and their superior technology.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Where the hell is this OpenAI stuff from? I wanna read more bonkers AI gibberish.
Here's their website with some hand curated samples
https://blog.openai.com/better-language-models/

Here's the big pile of a couple thousand random samples they put on github
https://github.com/openai/gpt-2/tree/master/gpt-2-samples

<|endoftext|> denotes that it's done on the previous topic, and will now start babbling on a new random topic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hope I'm not spamming the thread too much with this GPT-2 stuff

Here's a little vignette about the Tramp, a folkloric hero

quote:

As a kid I never knew of the "T" in the word Tramp, but as someone who came of age in the '50s, I'm glad I did. It's a word that tells us that, at the very least, the Tramp was a man who didn't shy away from hard work and risk.

The word can come from two different sources. First, in the words of Merriam-Webster, the name is derived from "Transylvania," a region in southern Romania. The town is named after the nobleman who settled there, so perhaps the Tramp was a man who came from Transylvania, or who had spent time there (or was related to those who had).

More likely the origin is the word Trombe, meaning "a man or boy who has worked, traveled through or lived in some frontier district" or a boy who was a "tramp or runaway."

There is, then, a strong connection to Transylvania. A common theme in T-roll story are the poor, wandering T-rolls who traveled to and lived in the wilds of Transylvania. The Tramp fits well with these motifs, and as the stories developed he came to be known as a hero that crossed borders both on foot and by horse.

What makes the Tramp so iconic, though, is also what makes him so misunderstood. In the first place, there is no connection between the Tramp and "Trombe." Trombe was a man who "trafficked" for money, not for anything else, not even for pleasure. He was more like a traveling salesman. He went from village to village. You could call him a trader who traveled for gold. In fact, one of his most famous poems is about buying and selling gold. Here's a little excerpt, though, from one of his poems called "The Golden Goose":

I had just come back from Transylvania,

Where I'd bought gold for twenty pieces,

Two pieces from each peasant I sold

But now for gold I come to find

Four pieces to me.

Tobacco pipes and bags of grain

And gold in the pockets are not the Tramp's

Reason for being.

The Tramp may be a traveler, and his journey is in part a quest for his own personal gain, but he still has a heart of gold and a sense of honor, despite the dangers he faces. In his stories, he travels throughout Europe and even the Middle East, and he doesn't care what his destination is -- he just wants to get back on his feet. He's a man who doesn't try to live a luxurious life, and who isn't ashamed to be poor (though it's not clear as to what his income was as a kid).

In fact, the Tramp may be a bit less wealthy than he appears, and he may not have had the greatest means of transportation in his youth. The author of "The Golden Goose" tells us that he got the idea for the poem from a story told by a traveling salesman. The salesman had gotten lost in a forest, and was afraid, when he realized he couldn't find his way back into town, that he would never be seen again. He would be a lost man, and he would die a lonely death. When asked where he would die, the salesman replied that he wouldn't die; he would just give up. (His words, not mine.)

There's more to the story, of course. What the salesman didn't tell the traveler was that he had made it to the small town of Bracken, near Bristol, during the last days of the Roman Empire, where he lived and worked in a tavern, and later, lived in a manor there. And, while the shopkeeping skills he learned in his travels are evident in his work, he couldn't have been poor for long; he had a wife and a farm and a stable. The Tramp may not have had the money, but he's not a "tramp" as such. He doesn't try to live a luxurious life: he just doesn't live so lavishly that he can't keep up with the cost of buying all the food he eats and all the money he travels with—and with his daughter and son.

By most accounts, he was about twenty-four when he left home and went off on his travels—though we all know that was before the invention of cars and the telegraph and the telephone with which to relay messages across the world. He might have even died during his travels. His daughter eventually remarried, and it is rumored that her new husband, who lived in the area as a soldier during the war, might be the one to discover and bury his father in Transylvania.

And a review of a critically acclaimed movie, The Wisdom of The Ancients

quote:

I have heard there are a few people who have heard stories about the "Wisdom of the Ancients" or "The Wisdom of The Ancients" for short. People know of the ancient wisdom and their connection to the gods, but no one really knows what they are. Some are saying this is a story told by God, and others have said it is a way of life for humans. You've got to see this movie and find out what your fellow world citizens believe about the ancient masters.

WARNING TO SPOILERS - This movie is full of deep, dark and powerful messages. Please do not watch this movie if you are not mentally ready for these subjects. If you are willing to take the time to see this movie with eyes open, then this experience is very worthwhile.

The film presents an ancient Greek myth told through the eyes of a 12-year-old boy. He is placed into the world of a normal kid, as a result of the "Wisdom of the Ancients," a secret society and philosophy created in the ancient Greece by the legendary philosopher Plato. Plato's message to the citizens of the world is that there is a way to get out of reality and live a life beyond mortal life.

In one instance, the boy's mother is visited by an old, elderly man, and tells him he must learn about Plato's philosophy. Her grandson then sees a statue depicting Plato. In that vision, the boy's mother says the figure is Plato, and the man tells him if he lives a life of philosophy that he will live a very long life.

On a quest for wisdom, the boy meets Socrates, who is a representative of this ancient school. Socrates guides him to some of the philosophies of the time and teaches the boy the meaning of life. The boy is taken aback by the philosophy, and he begins to change.

He begins to think about the world around him, and why he is in it. Plato sees in him the potential for enlightenment, and asks him to read his book. As the boy reads, he begins to develop a love for truth which would become a key theme throughout the film.

The movie ends with a final scene of the boy reading his book and looking out to see a beautiful day. He then looks up and we see him in a cloud of dust. It's then that we realize the story is not over. This film is full of messages to live in truth and honor each other. This is the most important life lesson the film presents. It has also received the most critical acclaim from film critics.

So if anything the movie does it teaches you to always check your intentions at the door. No one is safe from what is in the shadows. Do the right things and you will always be rewarded.

The Wisdom of the Ancients is a unique movie. It is a movie you cannot forget. It is a movie you must view with fresh eyes. There are too many points of view and ways of thinking and experiencing this story to describe.

The film is beautifully directed and it shows the truth that we have lost since WWII to those who seek it. Even though we have had 50 years to educate ourselves on what the world has gone to, we have lost the ability to know the truth.

It teaches you to live a life of truth and honor that leads to your own ultimate bliss. There is no such thing as a free lunch as you will not be able to have it forever. The movie does not take credit for its ideas or its themes, which I consider it to be one of the best things ever made. It merely offers a powerful message and a story to live by.

The movie is one of the most beautiful pieces I have watched and to be quite honest it is one of the most powerful movies of all time. It is a movie that will change your life, but not for the better.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 07:44 on Feb 28, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've seen worse vegan thanksgivings.

quote:

I had to give it a try myself. I have a lot of good friends living in the Twin Cities and we enjoy our annual Thanksgiving feast. We don't do it so much as we enjoy the tradition of it. The first time I cooked and sat down to a meal as a child, it was a special day and I was not afraid to experiment with different foods. I loved what I did when I lived in Michigan. However I never knew what was coming until my son became interested and he tried some of the foods I grew up on.

When it comes to Thanksgiving this year I thought I would try a vegetarian/vegan version of traditional Thanksgiving meals. So a lot of recipes have a veggie layer on top. I used spinach, tomatoes and broccoli. When I was making them I used my favorite homemade tomato sauce (makes it vegan and gluten free) and brown rice. I know we do make Thanksgiving vegetables that aren't always in the mainstream.

This tofu scramble has lots of veggies but no meat in it. While it has tons of flavor, it is a bit hard to find a store bought tofu. If you can't find it, then my homemade "Finn" style tofu will do (I call it the "Finn" because the best part is the consistency). You can mix the dry ingredients, then cook it. I love getting a little extra moisture and flavor without using egg replacer or milk.

Here is the recipe I used (for those of you who don't want to read a recipe):

Vegan Thumbprint Stir Fry

Tofu Sauce Ingredients:

3 cups veggie broth

1 medium yellow onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped

5 oz. firm tofu, sliced or chopped

1 tsp sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

5 cups cooked brown rice

Bowl Ingredients:

Vegan Worcestershire sauce

2 Tbsp peanut butter

Vegan Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Season and set aside the remaining vegetable broth.

Place the tofu on a tray or plate and place in the refrigerator. If the tofu has been sitting in a dark place in the fridge for at least 8 hours, it will defrost.

Remove the tofu from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 225 degrees.

Put a large pot on the stove and add the broth.

Add all the garlic and onion and cook until soft.

Add the onions to the pot along with the tofu. Add the tomato puree, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and peanut butter. Bring to a boil.

Lower the heat a little bit and cook for 5 minutes.

Add the brown rice and cook and stir for 2-3 minutes.

Add a little more salt and continue to cook for about 1-2 minutes.

Serve and enjoy!

and a shameful cat

quote:

There's a huge controversy at the moment about a video of a cat called a "poo-bomb," when really he just got into a fight about dog crap! This video is really, really funny. What's funny is how hilarious it is that this cat is so upset he's throwing up his own poop, but I guess when he sees poop in his own cat's mouth, he gets a bit overzealous. The video is a bit longer and contains a few different cat videos because this cat is being funny and funny can be offensive. But that makes sense, in-fact, I did think the cat was a bomb when I first saw it, but then I thought about it for a moment and realized that this cat has a lot more to worry about than a poop bomb, and so he really was not.

Anyway, this cat is probably a very sensitive one. He probably thinks people take good care of him because he looks like he does, when in fact they don't. You'd be amazed how many people look good and seem to love dogs but are very stingy when it comes to their own pets. Or when animals in general don't seem to get taken care of, since they often don't seem to worry about the poor things too much. This video shows how sensitive this cat is. As the cat gets more and more frustrated, he begins throwing up.

I don't think this cat wants his poop to be in peoples mouths. Maybe the whole fighting thing might have started to make him anxious? I just think that this cat has just been through too much. It's amazing how much stress can kill a person mentally, or it can even kill a person physically, especially if someone is overly stressed and anxious.

That's all I've got for now. You can watch the video here. It's called:

Cat Pooping In His Own Cat's Mouth

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This is how my last game of Civ 5 went.

quote:

"The Great Wall of China is the most famous landscape in China, even more famous than the Great Wall of England. The Great Wall is one of the most well-known landmarks in the world, so it's no surprise that people are still fascinated with its extraordinary beauty."

— Richard Mihalic, The Great Wall of China: How It Changed the World, 2014

In 1626, the first Chinese expedition to the wall was led by an Italian scholar. His mission was to map it. The result was a magnificent map which could have been part of England's Great Map. This map, known as the Zhengde map, helped change the course of world history. From then on, China's rise became unstoppable. The map and its description of the world became the most influential map of its time and the foundation for centuries of world maps.

In the centuries that followed the Zhengde map, Chinese scholars continued to explore. They used the same skills that had brought them to the Great Wall of China. But the Great Wall was different. At the time, Europeans had begun to explore the Americas to find the fabled New World, and these explorers took detailed land and sea maps. Chinese scholars still didn't know about the Americas, but many knew how to map it.

The Great Wall had long been abandoned by the Ming dynasty, a feudal society which lacked the funds to maintain it. Many people feared that if the wall were found to be a useless monument to the Ming dynasty, it would fall apart for many reasons.

Then, in 1949, it was discovered by a British explorer. This was the famous Sir Francis Drake, who had made his name as a seafarer and explorer. Drake wanted to chart out the new world, and decided to visit this place.

When he came to this place, he realized how much of a puzzle this wall was. The map that he had studied before the wall was no help in finding the Great Wall of China. As the Great Wall existed in the south, Drake had to take an incredibly long route through Mongolia and up to the north. He did manage to visit the center and map it.

The Great Wall in Jingdezhen in Inner Mongolia. The city that Drake visited had some of it's streets named after him.

What Drake saw on his expedition led him to study more about the wall and then discovered a few more interesting facts. The map which Drake had studied previously showed two sections of the wall. One section was about 100 miles long, and the other section was only ten miles long. This map was also the same size as the Zhengde map which had been put together by the same Italian, but its map was not the same. The one that Drake had studied looked to be the same size. This map showed that there were two sections on the west side of the wall, and three sections on the east side of the wall.

Drake was inspired by a French book which had shown the same map with a section on the north end of the Great Wall of China. Drake did not realize these two maps were different, but it made him wonder why this part was so different.

He realized the Great Wall of China was composed of many many, many lines and branches. It took him a month to map the wall, and found that this map was incorrect. He also discovered that there were many different directions that he needed to travel to get all the different parts of the wall.

For the rest of his life, Drake continued working on the map and discovered the many details of the Great Wall. And he also worked on the map for many years afterward because he found that many things on the map which no one had realized were missing!

It wasn't until 1978 that Drake, having learned the map in the Great Wall museum in Beijing, discovered the truth about the map in China. He returned to China and found that the map he had studied had had a number of errors. For example, on the north end of the Great Wall there was no place named China, just called "Great Wall." But on the south end, there was a China of the Ming government!

The Great Wall of China is now a museum in Beijing. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in China and the most visited national symbol in China. The Great Wall is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site

and procgen about procgen

quote:

From Dwarf Fortress Wiki

This article is about an older version of DF.

More Info

This article or section has been rated D for Dwarf. It may include witty humour, not-so-witty humour, bad humour, in-jokes, and references to the Bay12 forums. Don't believe everything you read, and if you miss some of the references, don't worry. It was inevitable.

"Ah, a new creature! A beautiful creature! A new wonder of life! A wonderful thing indeed to be able to tame on a world!" — Anonymous, Dwarf Fortress talk thread. [UPDATED 7/14/12]

edit] Introduction

What's a tamer than a dwarf? A dwarf can tame any creature and can be tamed by anyone. In addition, dwarves and their pets can carry items and use beds, furniture, containers, traps and the like and can build structures and workshops. This article will cover the various types of dwarves and their uses. See 'Characteristics' for other attributes.

edit] Dwarves

In terms of attributes, dwarves are fairly simple. They will not carry any gear, will not craft any items with leather, and will have minimal training. However, as long as they are kept in an active labor, they may train as much as any human. The only thing dwarves don't have in common are weapons. A dwarf is only slightly more formidable than you.

There are several attributes that affect gameplay. All of these attributes can be toggled at embark or via the in-game config menu. Some can be temporarily altered in the menus:

edit] Dwarven Intelligence

Intelligence is a measure of one's intellect. Intelligence determines your chance to successfully create traps, construct rooms, and mine.

Intelligence can go up by training with weapons, using workshops, and learning from books. It will also be affected by any special training a dwarf may have received via training dummies; see the Weapons and Armor page for more detail.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

A bunch of these feel like a report by a kid who didn't read the book.

Like this kid who had to report on Yuri Gagarin's victory in the Space Race

quote:

At the 1972 Munich Olympiastadion, the Soviet team's home crowd began cheering its young star Yuri Gagarin as they trained prior to preparations for the match, or VR beyrout. Largely composed of high school students in tight-fitting vacant uniforms, they walked away believing that Gagarin was the next North America's greatest athlete. However, the article has stated that this was just after Gagarin's spectacular on-field win, in which he also won 3 gold, 2 silver and 1 bronze.

The five soldiers seated beside Gagarin were Red Army soldiers. Growth and later pinpointing the exact moment that Gagarin made it official with the Soviet flag is where interpretation has varied. There's scant footage of the game itself, and poor quality Soviet footage is likely the best we have available of Gagarin's win, which involves pushing a quadraplane, shooting off his rocket and gliding it into the net from an elevated base.

Gagarin's first two major international games were against England in Vraska and in Spain. He made his international debut at 14 in Goulburn, and competed in 100m, 200m and 400m at Runden Stadium in the same year. His greatest tournament came in the five-race 1969 World Long-Distance Air Race. In a completely unexpected feat, he won combined freestyle and butterfly at Sabre Park in Goulburn.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

I feel like the AI had a breakdown over the course of writing this. Starts off pretty normal and degenerates to complete nonsense by the end.

The prompted files seem to be picking random text from the source corpus, then having the NN do improv from there. Here's a Harry Potter fanfic getting improved.

quote:

"You know," Ron said later while sitting in the Leaky Cauldron waiting for Harry to come down from his room. Out the corner of her eye, a moving poster of Sirius Black sneered at her. Crookshanks hissed at the poster, amber eyes glittering. "I don't actually think your ridiculous cat is all cat. It's gotta be part kneazle or something."

"Don't be stupid, Ron," she snapped, turning her back on the poster. Another thing to worry about. "And don't call him ridiculous. I don't tell Pig she's ridiculous."

"But she is ridiculous," Ron replied dolefully, poking his daemon with his shoe. Pig squeaked in protest, flickering from a toad to a badger and finally turning into a fluttering owl that clipped Ron's ear with her wing as she sought shelter in the rafters above their heads. "But at least she's not a mad cat
==================== COMPLETION 388 ====================
demon."

"She's not," she insisted, standing up and striding over to the display. "She's just a cat."

"So what if she is?" Ron asked, eyeing a photo of the daemon. "If she's a cat, then I'm a cat too!"

"No, Ron," she said firmly, refocusing on the daemon, which was now perched on her knees, legs folded at the knees. "She's just a cat."

"But she's a cat!"

"She's a cat," she repeated, nodding at the daemon, who was now purring happily. "Just a cat."

"But she's a witch!" Ron repeated.

"She's just a cat," Hermione repeated, waving her hands in the air. "Just a real cat. No witchy feelings."

"But she's a witch!"

"She's just a cat," Hermione repeated, shaking her head in exasperation.

"She's a cat," Ron repeated again, trailing after her. "Just a cat."

"Just a cat!" Hermione insisted, looking up at the daemon. "Just a cat."

"Just a cat," Ron repeated.

"Just a cat," Hermione repeated. "Just a cat."

"Just a cat," Ron repeated.

"Just a cat," Hermione repeated, nodding at the daemon. "Just a cat."

"Just a cat," Ron repeated, trailing after her.

"Just a cat," Hermione repeated.

"Just a cat," Hermione repeated, shaking her head. "Just a cat."

The daemon moved her paws and curled around her legs, purring happily.

The daemon mewled happily, purring happily.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Before you bring up Waluigi

It's obvious that Nintendo and the fans put him at a higher pedestal. They acknowledged that they planned to put Waluigi in MK7. They didn't even consider Daisy for Mario Maker! And he has become an extremely popular character thanks to the exposure
==================== COMPLETION 13 ====================
that he receives thanks to Nintendo. The reason why Waluigi received a Smash Wii U update in 2014 is because he was too popular with the fans (I would say to those who say he's not good enough: just look at this. I know, not the best example, but you get my point).

If there was ever a Mario character who needed an image makeover, it would be Waluigi. His face is always a sore spot for Mario players, and even some Nintendo fans and most other Smash Bros. fans. He's an icon of Nintendo, and his face belongs in a Mario game. Waluigi also doesn't really fit Nintendo gaming's "loyalty model", for which he was created, and yet Waluigi just got better with every iteration of Mario Maker, and is now being pushed through all stages and made into a playable character.

Nintendo, please go to hell. And if you're thinking that's a joke or we're all insane…please give me some real advice, because I'm really, really hurt by all this. I want Daisy in Smash. I want her to be a worthy opponent (for the record, the best Luigi main I know plays Daisy). I want her to be used properly in tournament. But I want it bad. And I'm still in shock that the game wouldn't allow it.

I will gladly forgive Nintendo if they ever decide to let Daisy be a playable character in Smash, because I will gladly forgive them for the last 8 years of my life.

Edit: If you have a question about anything I've written in this post, please add it in the comments below! I may get a few more responses and then make a separate post for it!

Edit 2: Just like I mentioned in the last entry, the people who brought up Waluigi are not good people. So that's why I don't reply to comments about Waluigi.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/03/18/gaugan-photorealistic-landscapes-nvidia-research/?ncid=so-you-n1-78256

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5U4NgVGAwg

New Nvidia doodler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

How soon until this can be done real time?

How soon until you can play retro N64 and PSX games while viewing them through an intermediate ML "filter," that turns all the lovely low-poly models into finely painted and delicately re-shaped objects from the statistically nearest matching photorealistic scene?

Can currently do realtime, depends on the amount of processing power you can throw at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayPqjPekn7g