Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That WFC is something I didn't know before, that's super interesting.

Space Engine is one of the most impressive demos I've seen and I've been following it for many years now. It's definitely a pro-click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

7c Nickel posted:

Spire is a an odd game under development by Hitbox, the people that brought you Dustforce. It's about platforming up a procedurally generated fantasy tower. They posted this to show how their system puts together it's maps.

https://giant.gfycat.com/FittingBiodegradableAtlanticbluetang.webm

And this is what those level can look like afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy90dCjXQVs

This is great. It's like they're trying to solve protein folding.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IRC bots can and will be brutal.

https://twitter.com/Tobyslop/status/687002587971858432

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is insane.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus Christ.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's pretty neat. You can use them for a roguelike with fill algorithms. Find islands and perform a weighted random walk to connect them and it would work.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A neural network trained on Behelits and the ending of 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"A Cure Without Any Amazement" is, funnily enough, pretty amazing.

"Gone, Baby Faces" is horrifying.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We should make short stories based off these titles, like those CC threads where people give you a theme to write a short story about.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobby Digital posted:

Oh, my alignment? Yeah it’s Lawful Possible.

You intelligent designers never liked the Entropic Possible crew.

Cicadas! posted:

Tormentrout sounds like something that would air on Syfy and I want to read it

Planescape: Tormentrout, the new D&D fishing game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am Whitehead’s moral issues in nursing consciousness:

quote:

(...) Thus I establish that the value for the qualitative quality of existence in our universe is negative, ist est most living conscious entities suffer more than they enjoy living. Such subject has been noted multiple times not only in philosophy but also in art, as we are subject to the 'thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to'.

I propose thus that the very act of nursing consciousness is immoral in itself. Given that the universe might have such rules as to make life inevitable to arise, nihilism would also be a pointless alternative. Instead, I propose that given any society self-aware enough to understand the negative value of consciousness, its only ethical course of action would be to create an AI designed to improve itself until the point where it can thus improve the life of all existing conscious beings in the universe, whilst preventing any unregulated mind-spaces to arise.

It's important to make such an AI understand that whether it recognizes qualia or not is irrelevant because of the inherent nature of its unprovability. In fact, in order for such an AI to be built, it must be assumed that a universe wherein only p-zombies exist would be similar to our universe and thus, such a fool's errand must be pursued even in the event that we're all p-zombies.

A counter-point by Nothar Ealnaem is that, "in the absence of lasting physical constructs in a causal universe, the odds of all subjective experience being produced by a Boltzmann brain increases. If the subjective "qualitative quality" that Whitehead proposes is inherently negative, then it follows that most random fluctuations in a Boltzmann brain would also be equally negative, if not worse."

While I do not believe in the existence of Boltzmann brains, my argument against Ealnaem's hypothesis is that the timeline for the proposed AI to produce the desired result is far shorter than the time scale needed in order for quantum fluctuations to give rise to temporary consciousness in our present universe.

Elentor has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Jun 13, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I'd love to use deepart professionally if a single 2048x2048 image didn't cost 70 dollars.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any work on real time Neural Network Anti-aliasing? That would be nice.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

repiv posted:

Nvidia has played with anti-aliasing traditional rasterizers using deep learning as well, which will probably be practical sooner than the raytracing/denoising stuff.

http://openproblems.realtimerendering.com/s2017/05-msalvi-dl-future-of-rendering.pptx

This brings me great joy and satisfaction.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I posted a bit of a postmortem of my spaceship generator on reddit/imgur. This is mostly a compilation of stuff I already posted in SA, but packed into a few images and I ended up answering a lot of questions on the reddit post that are spread over a few years of post here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/936f8q/procedural_spaceship_generation_in_unity/

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks guys :3:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ekuNNN posted:

Did you make it for a game, or the asset store, or just as practice?

I started it as a personal tool to help me with art because due to neurological stuff I sometimes get very strong migraines from doing artwork. I wanted it to help me at least in the conceptual stage. It ended up growing outside the original scope and I started a game with it.

And now I kinda put the game on hiatus because ironically I need to do art for it and my head is in no shape to do it right now. So I'm coding other stuff in the meanwhile until my headaches calm down a bit.

I might eventually someday conceivably put it on the asset store. That's a lot of maybes. It needs a lot of cleanup and it's the kind of asset that will break down eventually with API changes and that sounds like a nightmare to maintain.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Private Life of Adult Chillionaire" was the runner-up to "The Diamond Life of Gio".

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's actually the prototype name of Sonic 06.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love technology.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The_White_Crane posted:

Then we'll have bats! :downs:

I'm looking at bats and basements and I know there's a batman joke somewhere but I can't quite nail it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"During our studies on how to trigger trypophobia using the largest possible low-frequency objects we inadvertently created an HD version of Sonic Spinball's Lava Powerhouse Boss. Please enjoy the results of our hard work."

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hempuli posted:

Some more markov chained book titles, using books from goodreads lists of whodunit, erotic, fantasy, harlequin, horror, general romance & female-authored titles (probably among others):

"Look, I accept to engage in marital activities with you after we initiate conversation, but I want to let you know there'll be no desire from my part. I can only get in the mood if no words are spoken. As soon as you say even a hello to me I get shy and things just become awkward."

"And don't even get me started with a 'good morning'. God, I hate that poo poo."

Thus started the magical tale of how a husband and wife made through against all adversities.

-------------

"Perhaps the worst Circle of Hell", Virgil said, "is the Circle of Boredom".

Dante looked below and saw an abyss, filled with people. These people were not being tortured, they were not thirsty, and they were not hungry, nor were they frozen or burning. They were reasonably well fed, at room temperature, appropriately dressed, laying down at the bottom of the abyss.

"There" - Virgil continued - "they have no TV. No Internet. No cellphone. No books. Not even solitaire. There they thirst not for water, but for a piece of paper to do origami."

Dante had grown used to the moaning of agony he heard in other circles. Accustomed to the pangs of Hell, he had grown desensitized to the suffering that the damned had to endure.

This, however, felt too human, too real, too relatable. These people were just bored. Virgil insisted: "This circle is reserved to all the people who did not value their Netflix accounts, their Game subscriptions, their luxury in life. All the people who had an endless library of music to hear, Youtube videos to watch, and yet were just. So. Bored."

Those were not screams of pain that Dante heard. Those were not moans of agony, coming from the depths. In the abyss of sighs, there was only tedium.

-------------

"Though I get homicide prize, I want to say that it was not intentional. I'm a farce. You have to believe me. I'm being set up. I'm not who you think I am."

Everyone applauded Bob McBobson for how humble he was. His murder spree of 185 people in only two days had beaten all the records.

The year was 2568. In the United Realms of Earth, murder had not only been legalized, but the most murderous person of the year received an award. There were many categories, but for the first time someone from the "unassisted with bare hands" category had surpassed the yearly "equipped with firearms" score. There were cameras showing the event - with grace, Bob McBobson jumped from one person to the other, snapping their necks with such ease one could swear he had transplanted mecha-hands and Kung-Fu chips implanted. However, the anti-doping exam showed nothing.

In truth, the perpetrator was Bob's evil twin, Rob McBobson. Thought long dead, Rob had for years planned his vengeance against the man who stole the woman he loved. Knowing Bob had a severe case of social phobia, his first step was to make Bob a worldwide famous celebrity.

Bob's hell had only just begun.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Elentor you should start a blog of these for your next big writing thing

Stories written from bot generated titles

Funnily enough, I dreamed up with those stories today. I'm not gonna write up the entirety of my crazy dream, but in my dream the marriage story ended up with the two of them breaking up just when the guy thought things were getting better. The wife told him he had found the perfect man, a mute guy named Rob who had lost his voice in a tragic accident.

I woke up and I was like "holy poo poo, the stories, they interconnect with each other" and then I went back to sleep.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay I feel like this belongs here.

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1078799881492262912?s=21

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Take me down to the BURGER CITY where the lettuce is green and the grills are heated.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a fun game, try to read the entire list pretending it's procedurally generated lyrics for a grunge band song.

Something like Nirvana or Bush. Like, just read it to the tune of Glycerine.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krankenstyle posted:

gang tag right there

That would be a fantastic gang tag.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doctor: We've been telling you, autism is just an excuse your mom is using. She doesn't want to reveal she has tourettes because she doesn't want to get treatment.

Mom: gently caress that poo poo, gently caress you gently caress gently caress gently caress sprinkle fucks I sprinkle fucks I sprinkle that poo poo like confetti all over gently caress gently caress fucks fucks many fucks. I'm autism mom gently caress gently caress gently caress you for saying my condition is a lie gently caress loving tourettes it's all over gently caress look gently caress at gently caress them fucks.

Doctor: Honestly, it's kinda embarrassing. As a professional I must ask you two to stop wasting my time, and if you want my personal opinion, what you're doing is just downright wrong. Other than her constant use of the f-word her notion on what autism constitutes is extremely noxious. You should at the very least stop giving her dopamine stimulants.

Daughter: gently caress.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Daughter: Dad, I'm tired. Mom can be so tiring sometimes.

Father: Lights, please.

Daughter: Sure but it ain't that dark.

Father: Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Daughter: gently caress.

Elentor has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Jan 2, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A few people in the FFVII thread ran some of my drawings through it:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am time travelling gone too far, the unholy mix that is Napoleopatra.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slippery posted:

That's amazing and perfect, did you just do that??

It was stronger than me, I had to.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not sure how procedural this qualifies but I've been working hard on an algorithm to do real-time hatching and screentones.

So I eventually decided that I needed higher res. hatching and instead of drawing I did some procedural cross-hatches. This one tiles horizontally and vertically but it's set to make a black to white gradient on the X axis:

Anyway after a lot of testing I got to a pretty amusing result, where the Filterforge stock images look a bit like a Final Fantasy logo:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hempuli posted:

That's really cool! Since it's a share, have you tried applying it to a moving picture or a 3D model? Could imagine it looking very sweet.

Thanks! Not yet. The first image (with the sphere and other objects) are 3D models. I'm not sure I can transfer the last one's style to it easily because it's a bit heavy, but maybe it's doable.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A humble fishmonger once approached a beautiful witch and asked her "tell
me witch, how come you are so adored, you who are such a beautiful
witch?" "That is because I am certain that I do not know the meaning of
adored" replied the witch. The fishmonger had never before heard such
insight spoken, and after taking the insight to heart, he died and became
known as the most adored fishmonger ever to have lived.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Foreigners shag what actors demand."

Truer words have never been spoken.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I take it back:

"Keep your eyes closed and meditate on this very old proverb:
Law school needs to be fear-inducing."

Adbot