Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
John Oliver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

This was an incredible idea, my GF and I have been reading this all day and lolling and some of the recipes are delicious as well

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh, content: Mandelbulb videos (renders of the mandelbrot set fractal, except a 3D version)

The best ones involve both zooming through it with the camera at different scales, while simultaneously tuning the parameters that generate the whole fractal to disturb the surface's location (the "level set").

Like below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb5MRbgNKSk
"The Intricacies of Mechanoid Eyeballs HD"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYsbFreUMkg

Even though there's a human involved, the shapes are all procedurally generated since the person tweaking the parameters really has no idea what the result is going to look like until they try it.

Happy Thread has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Jan 30, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
All the way back in the 1970's, the project TALESPIN was coming up with Aesop's-fable style moral tales about woodland creatures. The creator wanted to curate only the sensible stories out of his project, but the best ones were actually the "mis-spun" tales resulting from unspoken common knowledge not being inferred.

Read the bolded parts below for the best mis-spun stories:

quote:

Mis—spun Tales

One of the best ways to see why all the above components are necessary to a story generator is to see how we learned that they were necessary. It is not always obvious how a computer program will actually function while it is still in the planning stages. Important parts of a program are often left out because there was no way to know that they would be needed.

TALE-SPIN, in its early stages, frequently told rather strange stories. These “mistakes” caused many re-definitions in the original program. Since this process of “mistakes” followed by new theory is characteristic of AI programs in general it is worthwhile to look at these “mistakes” and consider what had to be done to fix them. (The output of the original stories has been simplified for ease of reading.)

***** 1 ******
One day Joe Bear was hungry. He asked his friend Irving Bird where some honey was. Irving told him there was a beehive in the oak tree. Joe threatened to hit Irving if he didn’t tell him where some honey was.

Joe has not understood that Irving really has answered his question, albeit indirectly. Lesson: answers to questions can take more than one form. You’ve got to know about beehives in order to understand that the answer is acceptable.

*** 2 ***
One day Joe Bear was hungry. He asked his friend Irving Bird where some honey was. Irving told him there was a beehive in the oak tree. Joe walked to the oak tree. He ate the beehive.

Increasing the range of acceptable answers is not enough. You have to know what the answers really mean.

*** 3 ***
In the early days of TALE-SPIN, all the action focused on a single character. Other characters could respond only in very limited ways, as in answering direct questions, for example. There was no concept of one character “noticing” what another character had done. Hence the following story, which was an attempt to produce “The Ant and the Dove”, one of the Aesop fables:

Henry Ant was thirsty. He walked over to the river bank where his good friend Bill Bird was sitting. Henry slipped and fell in the river. He was unable to call for help. He drowned.

That wasn’t supposed to happen. Falling into the river was deliberately introduced to cause the central “problem” of the story. Had Henry been able to call to Bill for help, Bill would have saved him, but I had just added the rule that being in water prevents speech, which seemed reasonable. Since Bill was not asked a direct question, he didn’t notice his friend drowning in the river. “Noticing” is now an inference from change of location, so Bill sees Henry in the river, deduces that Henry’s in danger, and rescues him.

*** 4 ***
Here are some rules that were in TALE-SPIN when the next horror occurred. If A moves B to location C, we can infer not only that B is in location C, but that A is also. If you’re in a river, you want to get out, because you’ll drown if you don’t. If you have legs you might be able to swim out. With wings, you might be able to fly away. With friends, you can ask for help. These sound reasonable. However, when I presented “X fell” as “gravity moved X,” I got this story:

Henry Ant was thirsty. He walked over to the river bank where his good friend Bill Bird was sitting. Henry slipped and fell in the river. Gravity drowned.

Poor gravity had neither legs, wings, nor friends. Now “X fell” is represented with PROPEL, not PTRANS, that is, as “the force gravity applied to X,” and the inference from PROPEL are not the same as for PTRANS.

*** 5 ***
The inclusion of awareness meant that I couldn’t set up the stories that way I used to.

Once upon a time there was a dishonest fox and a vain crow. One day the crow was sitting in his tree, holding a piece of cheese in his mouth. He noticed that he was holding the piece of cheese. He became hungry, and swallowed the cheese. The fox walked over to the crow. The end.

That was supposed to have been “The Fox and the Crow”, of course. The fox was going to trick the crow out of the cheese, but when he got there, there was no cheese. I fixed this by adding the assertion that the crow had eaten recently, so that even when he noticed the cheese, he didn’t become hungry.

*** 6 ***
Before there was much concern in the program about goals, I got this story:

Joe Bear was hungry. He asked Irving Bird where Some honey was. Irving refused to tell him, so Joe offered to bring him a worm if he’d tell him where some honey was. Irving agreed. But Joe didn’t know where any worms were, so he asked Irving, who refused to say. So Joe offered to bring him a worm if he’d tell him where a worm was. Irving agreed. But Joe didn’t know where any worms were, so he asked Irving, who refused to say. So Joe offered to bring him a worm if he’d tell him where a worm was. . .

Lesson: don’t give a character a goal if he or she already has it. Try something else. If there isn’t anything else, then that goal can’t be achieved.

Poor gravity :smith:

Happy Thread has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Jan 30, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Ariong posted:

I don't understand how that is possible using 1970's computing technology. I don't believe it. Do you have any more information on this project? I can't find any.

We put a man on the moon with 1960's computing technology. This is just some string manipulation :shobon:

Getting logic-based AI to work is largely the same now as it always was. Classic AI was not data-driven so you didn't need terabytes of training data. The big AI winter happened as early as 1984, *after* the big hype about neural networks for solving problems died down.

That winter slowly ended as people realized that there are still all sorts of applications for even the most limited AI (such as the dumber "big data" statistics based ones that are popular today, and that are hungry for as much high-speed input from the internet as they can process). That sort of AI was succeeding in an increasing amount of niche areas, towards ubiquity, and now there's the whole internet full of new opportunities to use it and show it off. There was nowhere for pretty generated images and Gaston lyrics to go where they'd have been quite as appreciated in the 1970's, versus now with twitter. The big difference that you see today is not that there's some giant body of new research everyone knows all about, or some massive code library that took decades for researchers to build up that you now can't build a product without, or even modern computer speeds -- mostly it's the suddenly increased domain of problems being tried.

Also if you want more information about TALESPIN in particular, you can just Google any of the excerpts I quoted above to get full articles. Mostly old ones, so .pdfs without highlightable text.

Happy Thread has a new favorite as of 05:01 on Jan 31, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Guy Mann posted:

It's easy to forget that ELIZA was created in the mid-60s. One of the best arguments against the transhumanist singularity dorks is the simple fact that things like AI and speech recognition have been stagnant for decades even with the exponential growth of computing power and memory.

This article came out towards the end of the 80's AI winter:

"Elephants don't play chess"

The title of this famous article by Rodney Brooks comes from the fact that in a research setting most AI agents lived out their robotic lives inside of some abstract puzzle world like chess or checkers, nothing at all like the natural physical world that natural brains evolved to deal with. It's impossible to understand our instincts without the context where they came from. Elephants are considered smart but they don't do anything like playing chess.

It highlighted what I think is the reason for that stagnancy in AI you mentioned as persisting today - there is a difference between intelligence (problem solving) and minds (people). Researchers mostly only try to create the former, because it's far more profitable to do problem solving super well and sell it to industry. There is very little push for actually making a mind. I've seen researchers who do focus on it, but there aren't many. They focus on the more reasonable problem of simulating animals, ecosystems, and nature instead of directly going for the grand challenge of language-capable human minds. They know the reality that we are nowhere near ready to even simulate lower animals yet, even ants, from a robotics control standpoint or social reasoning or otherwise.

So where to begin towards that?

Right now if we want to test an AI in the natural world instead of a chessboard we have to use a robot. That sucks for a variety of reasons. The robot costs a million dollars and has a poor understanding of self-preservation, and will happily shear its own arms off or throw itself down stairs if it misunderstands a goal, and the very first time that happens you're out a million dollars. You also can't afford to have an ecosystem of robots, or better yet a gene pool of them, swarming around by the millions, trying things out, living and dying and letting natural selection work out the best form of intelligence over generations. We simply do not have time to wait for that just to run a single experiment. Lastly, even with perfect robots, we have very limited ability to train them because we'd have to sculpt the world around them just so, with earthmovers and construction engineers and elaborate movie set artists and then tear it all down when it's time to tweak the scenario.

It's much better to try out AIs in a virtual setting that resembles the natural world. But to this day, we don't really have that as an option at all. You might be thinking of beautiful and interactive video game worlds that are full of AIs, but for the most part those worlds are pretty limited too -- even as a player you usually can't do things like burrow a hole through the ground, a stone, or any individual polygon and re-shape it and re-work it for something else like our ancestors learned to do. You can't rip up the shirt you're wearing and use it to plug a leak. You can't re-purpose whatever you find in games, so neither can an AI.

Minecraft is a game where I thought they would finally break this barrier since you can reorganize volumes of material around freely, which in turn should affect the AI's goals such as pathfinding and eventually have the AIs building structures and art. But the AI in that game is totally limited to just pathfinding and nothing else, and not even pathfinding that includes planning for future possibilities like moving material around to build a bridge or remove a wall - the AIs are simply forbidden from using the game's main mechanic! Only the human players are allowed to place blocks -- instead of leaving some "safe zones" where bots cannot touch your work, they just can't do anything anywhere. Only a few modders of Minecraft decided to try out AI-on-environment interaction (one mod procedurally generated novel cities that reflect the needs of the organisms who built them), or AI-on-AI interaction (which could have generated culture and competition, to further gives those cities meaning). Due to Minecraft being closed source those mods were lost to obscurity when the game updated. Due to inherent round-off error the silly blocks game can never simulate physically realistic things like rotating motions. But, for still being the game that brought procedural generation into the mainstream it's surprising the procedural cities idea did not take off.

I personally switched from majoring in AI to majoring in Computer Graphics as I found out how crucial physics simulation was going to be towards AI's emergence. Most of my labmates took an additional step outside of CS entirely to the Applied Math department, once they realized most of today's physically simulated virtual reality stuff was actually happening over there. We don't have the tools yet to pursue AI until we can simulate the world a little more faithfully and flexibly. Most AI researchers are not even interested in making a mind, and for every AI university class there's a completely different umbrella of what they consider to be relevant to the topic, to the point where the course title "AI" has lost all meaning.

Is it about advanced search trees? First order logic? Bayesian statistics? Language and animal reasoning? Tracking faces in videos? Simulating springy surfaces with iterative methods to elastically "snap" a smart selection tool? Evolving a gene pool to find solutions to TSP? Looking at a planner in PROLOG? Making a particle swarm to solve the scheduling problem? Using layers of autoencoders and then backpropagation / deep learning to try to blend images together?

I have personally seen every single one of these topics squeezed into AI curriculums and barely a single one has anything to do with making a mind. More of them have to do with procedural generation, but that's a broader topic and easier threshold to pass.

Happy Thread has a new favorite as of 06:47 on Jan 31, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Humans :argh:

Get out of our procedural maze worlds

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Either you mean inverse kinematics, or I’ve missed out on yet another up-and-coming programming technique.

Probably autocorrect, the most influential procedural generator of them all! Post your best autocorrect daydreams!

I saw pokemon here is the way to go to the restroom and that was pretty good idea of the way to go to the pharmacy. I have to the pharmacy and that was pretty uneventful, I don't think I'm getting in.

I saw the way of doing it for you! You will make it a little bit more about what you had a great day! Love you too much. I think it could be a good idea of the way to go to Monte Carlo simulation ( edit: :siren:)and that is the way to go

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck :hellyeah:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1803.03453.pdf

quote:

In 1999 Bentley was approached by a group of musicians and developers who wanted to generate novel
music through digital evolution. Dance music was popular at the time, so the team aimed to evolve novel
dance tracks. They set different collections of number-one dance hits as targets, i.e. an evolving track
would be scored higher the more it resembled the targets. The evolved results, 8-bar music samples, were
evaluated by a musician who selected the ones to be combined into an overall piece, which was then
professionally produced according to the evolved music score. The results were surprisingly good: the
evolved tracks incorporated complex drum rhythms with interesting accompanying melodies and bass lines.
Using bands such as The Prodigy as targets, digital evolution was able to produce intricate novel dance
tracks with clear stylistic resemblance.

In 2000 the group formed a record label named J13 Records. A highly specialized distribution contract
was drawn up and signed with Universal Music, stipulating that the true source of the music should not be
revealed, even to the distributors (because Universal Music’s CEO believed that no-one would want to buy
computer-generated music). Sworn to secrecy
, the companies produced several dance tracks together, some
of which were then taken by other music producers and remixed. Some of the music was successful in
dance clubs, with the clubgoers having no idea that key pieces of the tracks they were dancing to were
authored by computers.

quote:

An Art Museum Accepts and Displays Evolved Art Produced by Innovation Engines

The Innovation Engine [94] is an algorithm that combines three keys ideas: (1) produce new innovations (i.e.
solutions) by elaborating upon already evolved ones, (2) simultaneously evolve the population toward many
different objectives (instead of a single objective as in traditional digital evolution), and (3) harness
powerful deep neural networks to evaluate how interesting a new solution is. The approach successfully
produced a large diversity of interesting images, many of which are recognizable as familiar objects (both
to deep neural networks and human observers (Fig. 9). Interestingly, the images have diverse aesthetic
styles, and bear resemblance to abstract “concept art” pieces that reflect intelligent statements about their
theme (e.g. the two different images of prison cells, the beacon, and the folding chairs in Fig. 9).
Furthermore, the genomes of these algorithmically-produced images are quantitatively similar to the
elegant, compact genomes evolved by humans on the interactive evolution website Picbreeder [95].

To test whether the images generated by the Innovation Engine could pass for quality art, the authors
submitted a selection of evolved images to a competitive art contest: the University of Wyoming’s 40th
Annual Juried Student Exhibition. Surprisingly, not only was the Innovation Engine piece among the
35.5% of submissions accepted, it was also among the 21.3% of submissions that were given an award! The
piece was hung on the museum walls alongside human-made art, without visitors knowing it was evolved
(Fig. 10).

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ptOeByLA4&t=26s
A stop-motion view of a small sample of the evolved gaits from Cheney et al. [68], which
produced surprisingly effective and lifelike behaviors. Shown here are soft robots progressing from left to
right across the panel. Colors correspond to voxel types (with red and green denoting oppositely
contracting muscle groups, and dark and light blue representing stiff and soft support materials,
respectively). In the top gait, notice how evolution creates distinct regions of each muscle. It employs these
opposing muscle groups to create an inchworm-like behavior. In the bottom gait, the use of stiff (bone-like)
support material allows evolution to create relatively long appendages and produce a horse-like galloping
behavior.

Happy Thread has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Mar 13, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
No discussion of procedural locomotion would be complete without the 1994 videos of Karl Sim's hilarious block creatures fighting each other over resources using unexpected and bizarre motions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBgG_VSP7f8

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/962449509782495232

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

This looks like good quality, random noise with few artifacts from your grid remaining, but just in case you run into any problems make sure you know what https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perlin_noise is if that's not what you already use. Only pointing it out because it's the standard and I didn't see you mention it.

The concept of Perlin noise and its improved cousin Simplex noise have actually always bothered me because they're all anyone talks about. It makes it seem like people have run out of ideas when it comes to procedural generation over space. Everyone for every application just does "build a grid of random vectors, smooth it, and do it at various scales layered together to hide the grid."

But why is a grid always needed in the first place? Even if you hide its rows and columns, a grid still is bound to one scale, which is why they're forced to combine and layer several of them together at carefully hand picked scales to make up for it. Isn't there some way to generate math functions over space like random polynomials that are continuous and analog and yet still noisy, where the noise in them exists at multiple scales so we're not snapping to literal grid nodes?

Minecraft also uses Perlin noise to generate all its landmasses and caverns, and I wanted to make a clone of it that doesn't. For lack of any better random function generator I instead opted for Particle swarm optimization to place the blocks. Particle swarms are a population of simulated creatures, each representing a possible solution to your problem (a block placement) and exploring their local region for better solutions. The individuals benefit from knowing global measurements and discoveries of the whole population. On that Wikipedia article you can watch an animated particle swarm find the maxima over a continuous spatial domain.

Particle swarm seemed appropriate to me for even a discrete world made out of blocks because we successfully used it to solve the Nurse scheduling problem before for a class project. That involves shifting and swapping around discrete blocks of time in a work schedule, where some of the workers have hard and soft constraints (like not being available on Tuesday afternoons) with various penalties to the global solution if they're violated. Particle swarm worked marvelously for this. It swapped timeslots around until it eventually settled down and by then it was always a schedule that made everyone happy.

When I unsuccessfully tried this to generate Minecraft-like blocks worlds like the above, I had individual blocks of material (air, dirt, leaf, wood, sand, water) be members of the swarm and those had various hard constraints (meaning a big penalty for violating) and soft constraints (smaller penalty). Like-blocks were rewarded for touching each other so that they chunked together. Sometimes in the case of wood this was unidirectional (vertical) to try to encourage a certain structure. Certain neighborhood relations were encouraged (air and leaf, leaf and wood, water and sand) while others were discouraged.

This was an attempt to segregate the world into volumes, but that's not enough to actually make the similar materials all converge into one area of the world because the surfaces and interfaces between them could be very irregular while producing a satisfying score. At the local level individual block neighborhoods were happy, but that didn't mean anything for enforcing global behavior such as smooth second order surfaces, or big solid uniform regions.

For this I tried breaking down the types of material further. The material "air" became "air1" "air2" "air3" etc. representing different layers of air that were increasingly meant to occupy deeper locations within an air mass. I hoped for something like a layered onion. I expected there to be caves with dirt walls neighboring a bunch of air1 blocks, followed by a layer of air2 blocks deeper inside the cavity, which bind to air1 blocks but not dirt. Followed by a bunch of air3 blocks, which bind to air2 blocks but not air1 or dirt.

This worked a little bit but the result never converged to anything that didn't look like a noisy mess of blocks. Smoothness was never achieved. I think I have to measure more global phenomena (like surface curvature, which sucks to measure on a grid) instead of solely relying on local relationships and expecting things like smoothness to come out.

I wish I had an example for you all to play online, but this was before I made online demos. It's also not particularly worth seeing because it didn't converge to anything beautiful, and my attempts to get it to converge made it perform slow as hell while it tried to find increasingly optimal swaps to make to perfect its score. I wish it could have been faster and more successful but I had to stop and work on something else.

Any advice on this is appreciated; maybe there's just some simple trick similar to the "air1" "air2" layers idea above that would generate emergent beauty and smooth surfaces.

Mostly though, this reinforced the idea that I don't like grids. It drew me closer to other grid-free methods like the Deformable Simplicial Complex for tracking boundaries between volumes of material. Videos:
2D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe6kKE7cqNg
3D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9D90MBlTGM&t=10s
Here, the 3D armadillo is actually just an interface between two material types, and the outer material (air) isn't drawn so you can see the armadillo.

Happy Thread has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Mar 17, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Procedural generation of unexpectedly shaped bridge designs for optimal load bearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-pVm5ECZn0

This video only had 83 views but it rocks.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Cacator posted:

If you have a better example of flesh coloured amorphous blobs meant to represent human figures then I'd like to see it!

That's so mean to goons

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I love how the rules keep evolving the rooms smoother after they've seemingly already finished.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Phyzzle posted:

A bit dated, but Goon Hal was based on e/n posts from ten years ago.

https://goonhal.livejournal.com/

Funny. I wonder how they made these, they flow quite a bit differently than autocorrect suggestions run wild

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I feel like technology just made people from that era alive and moving again for the first time in a while

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Now for them to train it on not just the two image files (landscape and screenshot) but also include the 3D block data file that generated the screenshot. Do that one in reverse and turn landscape paintings into explorable in-game content.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Man Seeking to Script Happy Ending is too perfect to be made by some dumb computer

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just cited something from this thread in my dissertation. It is the first citation I've added to the whole thing. lol

Content:

https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/998989525069287424

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Found this in BYOB

https://yyyyyyy.info/

alnilam posted:

hit up yyyyyyy.info for fun surreal 2000-esque web chaos, recommend on a computer but technically works on a phone, changes on every refresh

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sientara posted:

This reminded me of Neural Networks name kittens: http://aiweirdness.com/post/162396324452/neural-networks-kittens

Featuring my favorite:

SO THAT'S where the pyf cute thread title came from

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
DeepArt.io should really be a bigger thing in here. It's so easy to use and I'm sure you comedians on here could do it to great effect. Crossposting this from the GBS cat thread but note that your input photos do not actually have to be of cats!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Everybody post DeepArt of your cats! You can use https://deepart.io/ on your cat pictures. The site mixes your cat photo with an art style, where an "art style" is just another arbitrary photo you upload.

Here's Moo Moo's classic photos that we got Van Gogh and Picasso to paint for us

Sources:

Here's an example of two input images and the output

To use https://deepart.io/ you don't really need to wait for an e-mail, you can just keep hitting refresh on the page until the finished result pops up. Another nice thing is you can just drag and drop images in from other windows to make it work.

It also keeps all your old inputs and styles in one box in case you want to try re-mixing them in different combinations. Here's two different input styles tried on the same input photo:

https://deepart.io/

The results can probably be pretty funny. Let's see some of your kitty paintings!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I tried mixing my cat with the crystal pepsi logo

But mixing her with a scene from Space Dandy worked much better

Or another cat with a vaporwave sunset

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

This space dandy style image is hot fire

These turned out super good, I think you should cross post them here now that the contest has ended and make the cat contest thread be about DeepArt

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Elentor posted:

Man I'd love to use deepart professionally if a single 2048x2048 image didn't cost 70 dollars.

Jesus Christ, yeah, sell it for what it's worth (a little CPU time) not whatever you think you can extract out of the few most desperate customers. I'll bet they'd make more selling them for $5 a pop just by the sheer number of casual people who'd want one.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I love their visualizations (phylogenetic tree graph and neuron diagrams), stealing those someday

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I was gonna make fun of the round rooms but it turns out I love this. Maybe a gym with a basketball court can't serve its purpose while round, but the rest of the rooms would probably be fine, with angled flat walls and slightly more corners that you would mostly just not notice.

Just goddamn that is a beautiful concept and I hope every architect makes use of organic, better optimized structures. The hallways are weird and not straight, and yet in some designs it looks like there can be lines of sight to most rooms from one place. That could probably be a valuable thing to add to the fitness function.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's one thing to save raw materials, but it's another to actually design that many extra corners each with their own special unusual structural considerations due to non-traditional non-right angles combining in ways that don't appear anywhere else. I guess the labor costs and specialized joints would be pretty high.

On the other hand I've seen this exact same thing done but with square rooms in a grid arrangement. Optimizing the problem of rearranging grid cells to get the right rooms closer together can work too. That was my first computer science teacher's PhD thesis. He used particle swarm algorithm to give each grid cell agency and a goal. He was still working on it at the time he showed it off in class.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Great job!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Anybody recently set one of these things to work on a huge database of porn titles?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Nice

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Hirayuki posted:

Going back to the early modern era of procedurally generated content: does anyone have a link to the professional voice actor/audiobook performer trying (and failing) to read Jamie Brew's recipe for Greased Casserole with Slices of Lemon Juice aloud? I seem to have exhausted my Google-fu, at least here on my phone.

First Google hit of "Greased Casserole soundcloud"

https://soundcloud.com/wrincewind/greased-casserole-with-slices-of-lemon-juice

It's pretty great

Happy Thread has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Aug 8, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Ariong posted:

Someone in the comments pointed out that you can even see a reflection in the window behind the white shirt guy.

Whoa

ashnjack posted:

I feel like if you could take this technology and use some animals as a source, with normal people as subjects, you can probably get some pretty terrifying horror clips.

Oh god yes

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sentient Data posted:

This may not be procgen in quite the same way as markov chains, but I think it fits and it's really cool

This actually makes a big appearance in a Computer Graphics textbook that I'm writing about. The very first runnable program the author teaches you how to make is the Sierpenski Gasket fractal. It's like "hello world" for graphics.

You run it inside his website by visiting the link: http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel/BOOK/INTERACTIVE_COMPUTER_GRAPHICS/SEVENTH_EDITION/CODE/02/gasket1.html

That one and the rest of his demos in his folder there each get called out in the various chapters of his book and you can inspect the source code if you open DevTools in the Chrome menu. Graphics education is moving to all web friendly stuff.

Happy Thread has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Sep 2, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Great and beautiful work, I'm gonna need to experiment with that one day for my 3D graphics tutorial site and it's nice to see someone getting it up and running

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Please re-post the video whenever it surfaces again, I want to show some friends

And I'm sure it will, either someone kept it or they'll re-post it because they only deleted it to draw attention to their rules

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I want that playing in a constant loop as my desktop wallpaper

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Hahahaha this thing is not very good at its job IMO. I drew a cat leg, and it immediately followed by drawing a cat's face superimposed on it with no respect to the leg lining up with anything.

But, mad props for them hosting on glitch. That means you can edit the source code and remix as you please.

Original source code is very short, just an include of "magenta.js" and a couple hundred more lines of java script:

https://glitch.com/edit/#!/magic-sketchpad

And here's one I just remixed, only difference is that mine tries to draws things really shittily on purpose:

https://awful-sketchpad.glitch.me/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Elentor you should start a blog of these for your next big writing thing

Stories written from bot generated titles