Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've got a good enough rig to run a VR system on my PC, but i'm not sure about actually buying one. are there any VR games that are more than gimmicks at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

VR Skyrim.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
racing sims are great with vr, most of the best ones apparently work with it .. dunno about anything else. i think with vr developers would be better off just making regular games that you sit in a sofa and play with a controller that just have a vr style picture instead of having you walk around pretending to pick up cubes or whatever. like taping a nintendo 3ds to your face

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The most VR will have to offer the world is EduTainment style experiences at like museums and poo poo. People need to stop trying to make videogames in VR immediately, it's never going to happen

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it seems cool for horror games, but the disconnection between physical and screen movement seems really hard to overcome, i agree

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah were still a long ways off from having playing a game in VR not be an awkward experience

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Brian Madison: Oh Billy, Billy boy, when are you going to find whatever it is you are looking for?

Billy Madison: [the camera cuts to the street, where Billy and his friends find a piece of poo poo] Here's a nice piece of poo poo!
4 of 4 found this interesting

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
There are lots of cool games, I like all the first person shooters.

Apparently Fallout 4 and LA Noir is good,

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thumper in VR is one of the best games I've ever played. I ended up selling my PSVR, but I got a lot of use out of it. Still aren't enough games though.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

In another year probably, but the current headsets aren't quite fine tuned enough. You get a lot of weird effects from the lenses and the screens.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

i bought a vive a year ago and theres a few mindblowing things but mostly its dumb and too early to be good yet. i've maybe used it like 20 times. google earth vr and tiltbrush are actually incredible, but anything thats supposedly a game is like 10m mins long and barely worth mentioning. rez infinite is the definitive version of rez for sure tho

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

Yeah were still a long ways off from having playing a game in VR not be an awkward experience

I think people need to stop thinking that the environment is the hook and play with the way you actually interact with stuff. Nobody is getting meta with it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The most VR will have to offer the world is EduTainment style experiences at like museums and poo poo. People need to stop trying to make videogames in VR immediately, it's never going to happen

this

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Fredrik1 posted:

There are lots of cool games, I like all the first person shooters.

Apparently Fallout 4 and LA Noir is good,

benico del toro's hitman from sicario should magically appear to dome ppl thru the head and heart the instant they turn on fallout 4 in vr

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

benico del toro's hitman from sicario should magically appear to dome ppl thru the head and heart the instant they turn on fallout 4 in vr

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rez in vr was amazing and also super short

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Stand Out is a really amazing PUBG clone

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fredrik1 posted:

:staredog:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Fredrik1 posted:

:worship:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lol

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
hotdogs horseshoes and hand grenades does VR guns so well that it makes every single other game that also does guns feel like absolute poo poo to play

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I think it may be cool for ace combat but that is p expensive for one game really

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

armored core vr would be badass but thats really all i'd want it for

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

I.N.R.I posted:

racing sims are great with vr, most of the best ones apparently work with it ..

I'm super pumped for that Wipeout Omega vr patch.
---
Also, Rush of Blood is pretty intuitive and a good way to make anyone visiting your house feel happy for maybe 15 minutes. Friends, grandmas, whoever; everyone loves 15 minutes of Rush of Blood.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

racing sims are great with vr, most of the best ones apparently work with it .. dunno about anything else. i think with vr developers would be better off just making regular games that you sit in a sofa and play with a controller that just have a vr style picture instead of having you walk around pretending to pick up cubes or whatever. like taping a nintendo 3ds to your face
Dirt Rally is great in VR. The games where you interact with objects can be neat, I really liked a game called Tumble. I wanted more puzzle stuff like that and less FPS and horror games.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I remember seeing a vr trailer for Elite: Dangerous and it was loving sick, has anyone tried that? VR seems perfect for a dogfighting game overall

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

have they remade myst for vr yet

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Syncopated posted:

I remember seeing a vr trailer for Elite: Dangerous and it was loving sick, has anyone tried that? VR seems perfect for a dogfighting game overall

Elite Dangerous in VR is pretty alright, things get kinda blurry occasionally but it is fun.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Basically anything where you canonically are sitting in a chair in game seems like a good application.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

im looking forawrd to the next big vr game to come out Scare Chair

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
good news op

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

im looking forawrd to the next big vr game to come out Scare Chair

Its called five nights at freddys