Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
It may have been asked before, but could you have killed the doctor after your first encounter? I understand that it would have locked you out of his unique weapon, but could you do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yup, it takes a number of hits but you can kill him. You can kill any of the NPCs in the game actually, one smack is enough that they'll cower and won't talk to you anymore but more than a couple will kill them and leave you with noooothinnnng.

GGPCin
Oct 19, 2004
College Slice
CREO couldn't have thought up this idea on their own, they must have had help from Colorado senator Steven Armstrong. The Surge takes place in a timeline where Raiden failed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
NANOMACHINES, SURGE

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm using global warming as a business in order to end global warming as a business.
(Punts warren off of Big Sister1/3, disembodied crowd cheers)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Nucleus is slightly more gribbly than the rest of CREO, but thanks to all my years of let's playing the gribbliest games around I think I can get Warren through it safely! Or at least, mostly safely. The rocket payload awaits!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You just know that, trusting the luck of people in Sci Fi stuff, GJacobs (G stands for Gribbly) would be a giant spider thing. Just the last possible thing you'd want to be.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
God, the nano-beasts. They'd be a little more bearable if they had less health or did more damage, but as they are? gently caress those things.

That said, I still grinded them for cores because I wanted the shiniest armour and weapons :shepicide:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The close-up at the start of the video really brings across how much that armour set looks like a cheap video card - and cheap video card packaging. You know, the kind with broken English and garish box art. Pictures of 3D modelled dragons on fire, cyborgs, Totally Hot Babes, etc. :kamina:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oh thank god. i just binge watched episodes 1-19 from a month-old tab a few days ago and realized the thread hadnt been updated since the 8th. i was worried you'd leave me hanging!

anyway i liek your thred thank :unsmith:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
You know, CJ, with all these different people and groups saying the same thing, have you ever stopped to consider maybe it's you who are wrong? Maybe being a gribbly is a great thing!

What I'm trying to say here, buddy, is M̱̥̗͖̹̗̦ak͘e̬͉͇̗͍̠̖ ̙̻̀ṷ͉̠ͅs̫͘ ̪̘̤w̡h̶o͙l̞͘e̛̦ ͕͓̰̤ąg̺͙a͙̤̺͔̫i̲̩̹ṋ̜̩̫.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Once again, I question how the hell putting nanobots that eat organic matter indiscriminately would actually fix the environment!? The environment isn't about what temperature it is somewhere , it's about whats living there. Wiping all life from the planet just so you can say 'Hey, look we put the icecaps back' is such an incredibly corporate way of missing the point. I honestly love how cleansing the surface of the planet of all life came down to a split y/n vote.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BadMedic posted:

Once again, I question how the hell putting nanobots that eat organic matter indiscriminately would actually fix the environment!?

Fixing the environment wasn't Project Utopia's job, that was what Project Resolve was for, injecting chemicals into the atmosphere to fix the ozone layer, decrease CO2 levels etc. Unfortunately that ended up in what we saw in the Resolve Biolabs with the toxic goop everywhere. Project Utopia is an acknowledgement that Resolve failed- instead of trying to change the environment to something livable, Utopia instead aims to merge humans with nanobots, making a race that can live in the hosed up world that Earth is becoming. Unfortunately, nobody at CREO seems to have watched Terminator, and the nanobot hive mind gaining sentience is something they completely failed to plan for.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
With my sole exposure to this game being the LP, I'm pretty positive that the Gutenberg speech from the beginning of the video is from when he was just starting up Creo. He sounds so optimistic and upbeat, spelling out his vision of how to save the world to everyone listening. Quite unlike what he sounds like after his work is destroyed by corporate greed in direct contradiction to what he's saying there.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Okay but what if the gribblies are trying to singlehandedly compensate for the apparent assfear of all other developers?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well now that's different. As we know well from Metal Gear Solid, nanomachine-enhanced butts are the best butts one can ask for.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Being a gribbly is great because the word is so much gosh darn fun to say! Gribbly! Just thinking it puts a smile on my face.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
CGribbly.

C-Gribbs for short.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

Well now that's different. As we know well from Metal Gear Solid, nanomachine-enhanced butts are the best butts one can ask for.

Nanomachines?!

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Is there anything to suggest the nanomachines would have ever worked (as in not taking over the host) and the Surge hosed them up and made them murderous?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, they might have worked, but as the doctor's logs have explained since R&D, for some unspecified reason they continued to germinate past the point where they should have stopped. At some point (presumably after they'd fulfilled their purpose) the nanobots were supposed to die out and replenish at the same rate. This would keep them from taking over anything, while also serving whatever purpose they would've had to inoculate humans to the toxic atmosphere. But due to some screwup I don't think we've been told about, they are reproducing faster than they're fizzling out and so they're learning and growing and actually absorbing stuff. Presumably if that hadn't happened it would have worked? Maybe?

edit: There was a log in R&D that explained where the nanobots came from. In case you don't remember (because it has been quite a while), the nanobots were originally used for assembling equipment. You can see them doing their thing inside all the 3D printer stations in the various Ops Centers. I guess R&D thought they'd be able to handle more complex instructions, and they were wrong.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 26, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've been watching your videos too much. I'm starting to use gribblies as an actual word.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to admit I've lost the plot slightly here. Did the board not believe that the nanobots were running out of control? Did no one tell them? Did they think they could just wait it out?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Warframe's art direction is so wonderfully out there that it almost makes me want to play it again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Glazius posted:

I have to admit I've lost the plot slightly here. Did the board not believe that the nanobots were running out of control? Did no one tell them? Did they think they could just wait it out?

The nanobots were under control- or at least, they were pretending to be -until the Surge hit. At that time, the board was in the middle of voting on Utopia being launched. When the Surge knocked out CREO's servers, whoever's fault it was, the nanobots broke out of containment and started spreading throughout the system and taking over the Nucleus. Who knows if they had gained sentience beforehand, but that locked-off area we visited in R&D in the previous episode already had nano-zombies running around so I'd assume so.

edit

Cardiovorax posted:

I've been watching your videos too much. I'm starting to use gribblies as an actual word.

Good!! More people should say 'gribbly'!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 27, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Just once, I'd like to see the nano-techno-AI menace du jour develop sapience and decide to simply apply for citizenship instead of pooping out zombie killbots all over the place.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Cardiovorax posted:

Just once, I'd like to see the nano-techno-AI menace du jour develop sapience and decide to simply apply for citizenship instead of pooping out zombie killbots all over the place.

"I am ATLAS"?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Just bought this game and I have to say drat you for making PAX look easy. :argh: I can't even get near him without getting swiped by his blade.

EDIT: Need to pour through to see where you got the second health chip and the second medpack chip. Having 6 heals would probably help me immensely.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 27, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

nweismuller posted:

"I am ATLAS"?
Sorry, but I don't think I get the reference there.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not seeing a problem with this?

NGDBSS posted:

Warframe's art direction is so wonderfully out there that it almost makes me want to play it again.
Yesss. Come fish.

Cardiovorax posted:

In Global Agenda's background, the first president of the Commonwealth was an AI that got elected on the strength of its policies.
But that's just background. In practice, the player home base is basically right next door to a hostile feral emergent bot swarm. Soooo I guess GA breaks even?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

I'm not seeing a problem with this?
Me neither, I just think it's funny. :v: Gribbly is such a fun word to say.

Fish Noise posted:

In Global Agenda's background, the first president of the Commonwealth was an AI that got elected on the strength of its policies.
But that's just background. In practice, the player home base is basically right next door to a hostile feral emergent bot swarm. Soooo I guess GA breaks even?
I think more media need to start treating AIs as people first and horrid technological menaces second, so I think this is actually kind of a good thing. On the one end, you have President Coolbot, on the other hand you have Jerkass McRudeswarm who litters in your yard and keeps scratching your car. It runs the whole gamut that people tend do.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

We have people for people-type characters and problems. In fiction an AI can be something a lot more interesting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dunno, I think science fiction would disagree with you there. There's lots you can do setting-wise with AI that are integrated into society as more than merely boogeymen and video game monsters. Mass Effect, Star Wars and the Halo series use that to pretty great effect.

I mean, they can also be that, but reducing artificial intelligence to only Scary Bad Guys always strikes as... weirdly Luddite, for a medium that's so much on the cutting edge of computer technology.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You hold onto that "I wish AIs would be presented more like living people" thing!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
An AI as non-communicative and intrinsically hostile to organic life is an interesting take on it, imo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

You hold onto that "I wish AIs would be presented more like living people" thing!
I'm glad you approve. It always kind of bothers me, especially since we as a society are going to have to deal with subject of quasi-sapient machines sooner or later.

Dance Officer posted:

An AI as non-communicative and intrinsically hostile to organic life is an interesting take on it, imo
I thought it was in the first Terminator movie. It has gotten a bit old since.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, I meant you should hold onto it because The Surge might have something left to say about it. ;)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

:v: Well, I guess that also works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Cardiovorax posted:

Sorry, but I don't think I get the reference there.

Just an AI whose first action was to claim citizenship in its society.