Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

gently caress yeah, The Surge. Count me in as someone else who got hooked on the game thanks to CJacobs's streams. Spmething about the sci-fi aesthetic really gets me, far more so than Dark Souls' dark fantasy feel.

This game's setting/story has always given me a very 0451 feel (maybe more a Bioshock feel if I'm being accurate) and that being married to Dark Souls-like combat is just the best.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

This isn't really Souls combat. Yes, there is stamina management and heavy and light attacks (and I assume two handing maybe?), but being able to take your enemy's weapon by literally hitting it out of his hand? Or being able to target individual body parts? That gives a really different feel. It's also different because it's not set in a high fantasy world again.

It's not a clone like LotF was, but I'd still call it "Souls combat" in the same way I'd call both DMC and MGR character action games, even though they play quite differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's a very different sort of Souls-esque combat, though, and the fast pace Cjacobs was showing off with the pipe is one of my favorite parts. I love the staves in this game to death just for how fluid they feel.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'd say that it's not really right to compare the game to Dark Souls when it comes to combat mechanics, it's much closer to Bloodborne in that regard.

A lot of its secondary systems are closer to Dark Souls, however, such as its healing mechanics. Another possibly fair comparison is Dark Souls 3, which is quite a bit different from 1 and 2 on account of borrowing a lot from Bloodborne.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
This game has honestly taken the Souls-like combat in a direction that really should help elevate the whole genre, more than DS3 did. Set bonuses, the i-frames during finishing moves, the pacing of back and forth duels. One thing I never noticed in this, particularly compared to Nioh, is that because blocking is discouraged, enemies never felt like they were input reading and attacking as soon as I dropped my defense. Everyone attacks like they're wild and can't really help it. It adds so much to the setting.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Psychepath posted:

This game has honestly taken the Souls-like combat in a direction that really should help elevate the whole genre, more than DS3 did. Set bonuses, the i-frames during finishing moves, the pacing of back and forth duels. One thing I never noticed in this, particularly compared to Nioh, is that because blocking is discouraged, enemies never felt like they were input reading and attacking as soon as I dropped my defense. Everyone attacks like they're wild and can't really help it. It adds so much to the setting.

I think the big thing that this game (and Bloodborne for that matter) does to evolve the combat is the focus on locational damage. Adds a whole lot more complexity even when you're fighting regular dudes, especially with how they've tied it to equipment progression. What I'm saying is, Souls-likes need to become Monster Hunter.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,Cjacobs, are you planning on tackling the expansion that just released?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah! It's really clever how it's integrated directly into the game and well-balanced around the two points you are intended to visit it, so we'll be taking it on when it comes time.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’d be willing to argue that armor set bonuses as they currently are weren’t really good for the game overall, because there’s a few armor set bonuses that are so much better than the rest there’s no reason to use anything else and they’re so important that you’re directly penalized for wearing armor you like the look of that isn’t one of the best ones.

They tried to fix this with the DLC by adding the set bonuses in as implants but the implants stack, so you’re still incentivized to use the best sets over anything else. I think it’s a cool idea that could be expanded on but I think they missed the mark in this game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The whole decoupling of the RNG from gear progression was nothing but positive for the game, though. You want that dude's cool chainsaw sword? There is a specific gameplay action you must take to acquire it, rather than needing to grind him.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Night10194 posted:

The whole decoupling of the RNG from gear progression was nothing but positive for the game, though. You want that dude's cool chainsaw sword? There is a specific gameplay action you must take to acquire it, rather than needing to grind him.

loving BLACK KNIGHT GEAR! :argh:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CJacobs posted:

Yeah! It's really clever how it's integrated directly into the game and well-balanced around the two points you are intended to visit it, so we'll be taking it on when it comes time.

Minor DLC-related question, which I don't think is really a spoiler, apart from place names: Are you going to do it in one big go (i.e. as soon as you reach R&D), or will you go there as soon as you can, and then wait until R&D to do the rest?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I can't believe it took you actually calling the icon out as a hand saw in this eventual LP for me to even see that's what it was supposed to be. I'm an idiot! :downs:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, that's a really good idea.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Really good introduction to the world and its mechanics. Very interesting premise by having a wheelchair bound man be the protagonist (though he doesn't stay that way for very long--a shame, really; was looking forward to upgrading it to have rocket boosters to give me mad hops, brah). A very promising start.

Just a couple quick question before this LP truly gets underway: Will this be a "gently caress it, let's have fun, who give a poo poo about 'playing properly'" style of run or will this be a "if you're not min/maxing, why haven't you quit video games" run? Also, will you be going for all the collectables?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HereticMIND posted:

Just a couple quick question before this LP truly gets underway: Will this be a "gently caress it, let's have fun, who give a poo poo about 'playing properly'" style of run or will this be a "if you're not min/maxing, why haven't you quit video games" run? Also, will you be going for all the collectables?

Honestly, The Surge is quite amenable to the first style of gameplay, it all just depends on how you want to play it. I don't think any minmaxing is ever needed, and that there's a lot of freedom to pick and choose what kind of weapons and armour you want to use at any given time. I suppose if you really wanted to be a tryhard, then picking a weapon type (or pair of weapon types) to specialize in while using the Lynx suit and +attack speed implants is the most 'optimal' way to play, but then you'd be missing out on a lot of other cool weapons and gear.

Of course, I say that while exclusively using Staff weapons and a single armour set, so maybe I'm just full of poo poo :v:

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

HereticMIND posted:

Really good introduction to the world and its mechanics. Very interesting premise by having a wheelchair bound man be the protagonist (though he doesn't stay that way for very long--a shame, really; was looking forward to upgrading it to have rocket boosters to give me mad hops, brah). A very promising start.

man now i wanna see a soulslike where the protagonist spends the whole game wheelchair-bound.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One interesting thing is leveling Core Power doesn't get you much besides the capacity to equip more stuff and implants. A few implants scale up based on core power, but you don't have to level into specific 'builds' at any point.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
For some reason I'm perfectly fine with the dismembering of random dudes in combat in this LP, but medical poo poo like that bit at the beginning with the rig installation is just too much for me to handle. Hopefully we can avoid that in the future, at least until our intrepid hero dies of sepsis or something. (I have serious doubts malfunctioning computers or whatever properly sterilized anything).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Grizzwold posted:

For some reason I'm perfectly fine with the dismembering of random dudes in combat in this LP, but medical poo poo like that bit at the beginning with the rig installation is just too much for me to handle. Hopefully we can avoid that in the future, at least until our intrepid hero dies of sepsis or something. (I have serious doubts malfunctioning computers or whatever properly sterilized anything).

It's the future, it's fine.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

Minor DLC-related question, which I don't think is really a spoiler, apart from place names: Are you going to do it in one big go (i.e. as soon as you reach R&D), or will you go there as soon as you can, and then wait until R&D to do the rest?

Yeah, I'm going to do it in the recommended order. i.e. visiting it twice over the course of the game.

HereticMIND posted:

I did pick up all the collectibles, and no I don't bother min-maxing. The game has a lot of fun different ways to play and I demonstrate a bunch of them throughout. There's not nearly enough tech scrap to go around to wear every suit once without grinding, but I am going to at least explain what they all do, and I made sure we see a variety of fun ones.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 19, 2017

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love the idea of using a disabled man as the protagonist to give a reason why he wants the exo-suit: he wants to walk again.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

I am absolutely in love with the idea of cutting out pieces of the enemy yourself instead of just obtaining them from some RNG loot. That everything is part of Creo, the same company, has it make sense that you can take all this stuff and use it to upgrade your own suit. The only thing it looks like this game doesn't have is an in-game explanation for Warren respawning. Which doesn't really bother me, since Warren's current situation is intriguing enough as it is.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
In the DLC there is an encounter that explicitly seems to reset, as in dialogue totally resets, when you die, completely ignoring that you did. The implied answer to the question, therefore, is simply that Warren dying is not canon, and that as far as the game’s story is concerned, he made it through the progression without dying or being seriously injured enough that he could not continue.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's enough of a bandaid, really. Respawning doesn't always need an in-world explanation.

Gordon Freeman didn't fail his mission when he got mobbed by antlions and ran out of shotgun shells. The Dovahkiin didn't die when she whirlwind sprinted off the Seven Thousand Steps.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I do find it a bit odd that they don't even pay the tiniest amount of lip service to enemies respawning when you use a med-bay at the least, because there are a number of enemies that don't respawn. But to be fair, not addressing it in my opinion is better than addressing it and having their excuse be super lame, so I don't mind them just avoiding that topic altogether.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Maybe there's just more crazies and drones who show up when Warren leaves the area, and we just don't see them arrive. And maybe the bosses don't respawn because there's only one of each?

I agree with you that not addressing it is better than having a dumb explanation. Respawning enemies never really made sense post DS1, anyway, where every single mechanic was tied to the story and theming.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Cjacobs convinced me to get the evil within, Now I have to buy this game even though I am rear end at souls games and games simular to souls games....

Let's be honest here, I am bad at video games in general. This game looks rad.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

Izzus posted:

Your theories sound much more exciting to be honest though.

I have my own theory--"a game theory"--about the story conceits, but it would be spoilers now. But, yeah, I suspect the developers just wanted you to enjoy the game and not get bogged down in any heavy-handed explanation of mechanics. You could assume whatever it is that respawns you (maybe nanomachines) also work for the other employees since you and your enemies would received the same company benefits.

As for being a Soulsbourne-like game, I really like how this game doesn't punish the player for healing. Healing happens quickly and lets the player return to the action.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
creo is just so crawling with crazy people that every time one dies another rises up to take his place. like some kind of cyberpunk dystopian hydra.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Also, during the slowdowns on kills, if they zoom in on Warren's face the dude is screaming in rage the whole time. Warren is a very angry man. :black101:

After all he's been through so far, I sure as hell would be.

Nine and a half minutes in I paused the video to go and put it on my amazon wishlist.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Did I miss something or does it seem inconsistent about how long the player character was unconscious for at the start? Like, he's still in decent condition so hasn't been out long enough to die of thirst/starvation, or go all gross and zombified, or get killed by one of the many drones or robozombies. But everything around you looks like it's been damaged and decaying quite some time ago.

And chainswords. Why the hell are there chainswords for the workers to use in a rocket/robotics manufacturing facility? Is there a heavily forested area just outside we haven't been shown yet?

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 20, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I actually discuss that in the next episode! But for now I'll just say there's a reason this area is called 'Abandoned Production' and is covered in graffiti and stuff.

edit: We also will find out pretty much exactly how long Warren was out of commission for later on in the game. They hold their cards pretty close to their chest on that for a while though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Speedball posted:

BJ by a mile, he's able to shoot while wheeling around on one hand. That's hard.

BJ can sidestep in a wheelchair.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

And chainswords. Why the hell are there chainswords for the workers to use in a rocket/robotics manufacturing facility? Is there a heavily forested area just outside we haven't been shown yet?

Cutting stuff, duh. No, seriously, that's what they're there for.

CJacobs posted:

We also will find out pretty much exactly how long Warren was out of commission for later on in the game. They hold their cards pretty close to their chest on that for a while though.

Yeah, I might need this pointed out as well, and I've finished the game :downs:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
EDIT: Doublepost

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

CommissarMega posted:

Cutting stuff, duh. No, seriously, that's what they're there for.
I really enjoy how everything you use is explicitly repurposed or salvaged heavy machinery, except for the weapons used by security and S&R, and even they make sense in that context (staves, etc).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, yes, the other great thing about this game: You give him a chainsaw sword or a single-rigged loader arm or whatever and Warren fights like he's got heavy robotic gear and he's improvising weapons from industrial equipment.

You give him any kind of polearm and suddenly he's flip-kicking and twirling all over and secretly he was always a kung-fu master before a treacherous student crippled him and put him in a wheelchair. It's the only reasonable explanation. :colbert:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I would love a canon explanation for why Warren fights like a champion. I can accept that he just canonically never died but there's no actual reason he should be able to fight as efficiently as he does. :colbert:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Rig uses the same control scheme as King of Kung-Fu 2053 VR.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kung fu programming implanted directly into the neural link.