Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

nweismuller posted:

Just an AI whose first action was to claim citizenship in its society.

Doesn't that also happen in Ghost in the Shell? The animated movie that is (no clue if that happens in the live action one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Doesn't that also happen in Ghost in the Shell? The animated movie that is (no clue if that happens in the live action one).

More or less. An AI which was designed to create 'diplomatic advantage' for the foreign ministry by use of hacking to create terror threats, upon gaining self-awareness, decides to bail from its job and applies to the counterterrorism agency which has been trying to counter its actions for refuge, bringing the evidence needed to drat the foreign ministry for its crimes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

nweismuller posted:

More or less. An AI which was designed to create 'diplomatic advantage' for the foreign ministry by use of hacking to create terror threats, upon gaining self-awareness, decides to bail from its job and applies to the counterterrorism agency which has been trying to counter its actions for refuge, bringing the evidence needed to drat the foreign ministry for its crimes.
That's pretty cool and I'd really to know where it's from, now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well he claimed Asylum, so sort of?

Though once it became clear that it wasn't going to happen he just wanted to have brain sex with Motoko to make internet babies.

It happens in the Original animated movie. It doesn't happen in Stand Alone Complex (Which is a good series regardless and you should watch it) or the Live Action movie (Which is not. Their version of the Puppetmaster is smashed together conceptually with an amazing villain from Stand Alone Complex's second season, so it's two great tastes that taste TERRIBLE together)

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 27, 2018

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Cardiovorax posted:

I think more media need to start treating AIs as people first and horrid technological menaces second, so I think this is actually kind of a good thing. On the one end, you have President Coolbot, on the other hand you have Jerkass McRudeswarm who litters in your yard and keeps scratching your car. It runs the whole gamut that people tend do.

Cardiovorax posted:

Dunno, I think science fiction would disagree with you there. There's lots you can do setting-wise with AI that are integrated into society as more than merely boogeymen and video game monsters. Mass Effect, Star Wars and the Halo series use that to pretty great effect.

I mean, they can also be that, but reducing artificial intelligence to only Scary Bad Guys always strikes as... weirdly Luddite, for a medium that's so much on the cutting edge of computer technology.
For new/emergent AIs and nanomachines in games that aren't just Satan figures or aggressive hegemonizing swarms, just off the top of my head:

Warframe's security proxies have generally animal-like intelligences (higher-end models have been trained in how to insult you over the radio) but have had an uprising at least once for whatever reason (their usual masters being an abusive merchant cult might have something to do with that). The technocyte Infested are a bit weird in that they view the player as perfected forms, so while the swarm wants to consume everything else, the feral emergent minds want you to vore them, while the more individualistic domesticated minds are happy to serve you. And then there's Cephalon human mind uploads who all turn a bit weird (at least some are lobotomized for specific purposes) and have a shared VR dimension which you might have to enter to engage in a music battle against the invading mind of the terraformer-turned-exterminator Sentient commander, and then the Sentients in turn have their own identity issues, and- hoboy, it's wild.

The Signal From Tolva is about explorer/colonizer shipminds being done with humanity and generally just leaving them to rot where they are, but then their own network fragments and factionalizes, and the rear end in a top hat fights-everyone group might be the secret heroes of the game about AIs and a possibly-human agent poking at something much bigger than them. The actual game's mostly STALKER-lite with robots though.

SOMA's WAU can be read as a slightly-ahead-of-the-curve criticism of THE ALGORITHM and its propensity for trying to force-feed everyone a plate of wasps, while somehow also being not nearly as much of a Satan figure as you usually get from antagonist emergent AIs in media (AM from No Mouth, etc). The short film series does go in harder on the Satan which is kinda ehhh.

Not a game, but Turbofanatic's Aphelion. Networked-human Hives, brain-eating Sanity Complexes, narcissistic sanity-edging triplex-AI mini-hive Hellflower 12th generation superfighters, Shrike-Hangdog-Railgun teams that only communicate in non-narrative poetry, and whatever Babyface is.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
That was the old Ghost in the Shell animated movie from back in the day.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fish Noise posted:

For new/emergent AIs and nanomachines in games that aren't just Satan figures or aggressive hegemonizing swarms, just off the top of my head:

nweismuller posted:

That was the old Ghost in the Shell animated movie from back in the day.
Thanks to the both of you, I'll be sure to write those down. I love that kind of theme in sci-fi novels, but I'm a lot less familiar with what they do in other media.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

There's also the Geth, who are a swarm intelligent AI who's first act of sentience was asking if they had a Soul. Their creators, the Quarians, took this badly and decided to try and wipe them out, at which point the Geth defended themselves. When the Quarians hosed off of their homeworld because "oh god the robots are revolting!" the Geth didn't pursue them because they're a fairly introspective hive mind that doesn't want to kill anyone, just be left alone with deep thoughts. Over the centuries since then, however, a subsection of the hive splintered off after a rounding error changed "All life is sacred" to "Machine life is sacred", so most people think that Geth are psychopathic killer robots bent on total destruction.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've heard really good things about the characterizations of EDI and Legion, but I can't touch Bioware games anymore without feeling vaguely dirty, so I don't know much else about that series.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, the Geth are an example of an AI who basically wants to exist on the same terms as everyone else. EDI is a bit more round about case, and there's also the Specter in the room of the "Reapers".

A quadrillion gajillion years ago, there were a race of evil space squids that mind controlled the lesser races to do their bidding and worship them and the like. But it turns out that their horrible mind slaves kept on making AIs and their AIs kept rising up to destroy them, whoops. So their solution was to create an AI.

Yeah.

They gave the AI a single goal, "Preserve Organic Life". Said AI decided that the best way to preserve organic life, since it keeps on making all these damned robots, was to round up all the space faring races capable of making artificially intelligent robots, liquify them, and turn them into more giant robot squids to assist in the liquifying and 3-D printing of more robo squids. The Mind controlling space squids did not approve of this literal interpretation of their rules and ran and hid before they could get turned into extrusion medium. So the cycle repeats, reapers hide in the dark space between galaxies, warp in, harvest intelligent life, then leave to let the lesser races evolve to sentience.

So in this cycle, after the Geth uprising, the creation of AIs was outlawed. But sub-sapient "Virtual Intelligences" were A-OK. The humans sabotaged the blockers on one of their combat VIs to try and prod it into true intelligence and it's response was to take over a bunch of anti-tank guns and kill everyone because existance is pain. A rogue group of humans were able to salvage what was left of this Proto-AI and turn it into EDI and install it on Shepards new ship to both help him and to keep tabs on him since it reported back all of his actions to their boss. But shepard and the crew treated the AI with at least a modicrum of respect (theoretically) and once it's shackles keeping it separate from the ships main systems were removed it decided to help them rather than go full on rogue. Later on it gets an autonomous humanoid body and things get a little creepy and "bioware" from there.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Maybe a Tay 2.0, so long as it doesn't get its information from Twitter or Facebook.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Th▒nk you for visi░▒ng CREO, we hope░you enjo▒ed ░our stay. :)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That was one hell of a fun trip, CJacobs! Well done! :)

I love that gimmick with the final boss, where its dialogue changes depending on how many audio logs and how much story you've uncovered. it's one of those things that not only shows just how much the devs cared for making the game, as flawed as it was when it initially came out, but also for the fact that they cared you care. It's something I've usually ever seen done in Obsidian games, and it was great seeing Deck 13 take that philosophy with The Surge.

Story wise, all I can say is that I hope (spoiling for those who haven't finished the video yet) that Warren survives the end of the game. I mean, with the Walk in the Park and The Good, the Bad, and the Augmented DLCs, I think it's clear Deck 13 really shines when they add a little bit of light-heartedness to the Dark Souls formula, or at least loosen up on the grimdark.

Also I hope we get to meet Elizabeth in The Surge 2, and if there's one complaint that I have about a game that isn't released yet, is that we don't get to play as her. Get your act together Deck 13 :colbert:

:v:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Did we ever learn what actually caused the surge? I probably missed it.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
My ultimate best guess in the world is that the Nanobots caused the surge to stop the Utopia rocket launch vote from ending in a tie and also to steal peoples brain data to add to thier collective inteligence. But thats just conjecture on my part.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, considering the RP was able to pull voice clips from people when they were obviously not zombified, I think it's been around for a while now. My guess is that it was listening on the Board meeting, and when things got to an almost-tie, it The Surged everything because it didn't want to take chances, or because it didn't think humans were 'reliable' anymore. Or maybe that was just when it awoke to true sapient consciousness (the recordings being made while it was still a, well, process), coincidentally in time for the vote.

EDIT: Or hell, maybe Sally caused The Surge when the RP began to take over in the launch areas, accidentally frying the Board at the same time.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Thankya CJacobs. Cya next time.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Thanks for the good LP! This game was neat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This thread motivated me to try out the game myself, and while I don't think it's the best thing ever (the repetitiveness does grate after a while) I still had fun with the experience. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
oh no Maddy

I don't really know how to feel about that final boss fight. On the one hand, project Utopia was obviously a really bad idea, and absolutely needed to be stopped; but on the other hand,

https://twitter.com/chaosprime/status/992835738516512769

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Tombot posted:

My ultimate best guess in the world is that the Nanobots caused the surge to stop the Utopia rocket launch vote from ending in a tie and also to steal peoples brain data to add to their collective intelligence. But that's just conjecture on my part.

The Nanobots probably weren't conscious long enough to be aware of the vote: it seems more likely that the scientists were either lying or wrong about how long they had before the Nanobots took over, and the delay in the vote gave the Nanobots enough time to go nuts.

CommissarMega posted:

Story wise, all I can say is that I hope (spoiling for those who haven't finished the video yet) that Warren survives the end of the game.

Warren lives, but judging from the ending, he probably can't use his legs anymore. Poor bastard.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Thanks for the LP! Your initial episodes inspired me to knuckle down and actually complete this game and now at the end I'm considering going back in and doing it again.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
I was expecting a sequel hook since there's a sequel already in the works. Was it a risk they took away from the fantasy status quo that turned into a surprise hit?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Erd posted:

I was expecting a sequel hook since there's a sequel already in the works. Was it a risk they took away from the fantasy status quo that turned into a surprise hit?

There isn't a sequel hook because The Surge performing well enough to warrant a sequel was honestly a surprise to them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It also doesn't really help that Deck 13's previous Soulslike was Lords of the Fallen, which was panned both by critics and players. The Surge's reception was a lot more mixed; from what I've seen, reviewers didn't really like it (though they didn't dislike it either), while players, especially those who began after The Surge received support in the form of free content updates and paid DLCs, really liked the game.

That said, I liked The Surge when it came out- you know, before it was cool :colbert:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Kurieg posted:

There isn't a sequel hook because The Surge performing well enough to warrant a sequel was honestly a surprise to them.

What do you call the Rogue Process wiping out military units and escaping to the outside world, able to spread the non-virus infected nanobots if not a sequel hook?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
An ending, because you didn't win.

Sorry hero. Better luck next time.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Cool game and LP. Thanks OP!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Eopia posted:

What do you call the Rogue Process wiping out military units and escaping to the outside world, able to spread the non-virus infected nanobots if not a sequel hook?

Absent of the knowledge that a sequel was going to be made? Just a dark ending on par with Slowly crawling towards a wheelchair while strapped to a couple hundred pounds of dead metal.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I already knew about the sequel so the ending being Bad isn't a surprise though now that I've actually seen it did the rocket explode or was that just it launching? The debris is a bit confusing. Either way if the virus didn't work I suppose there's nothing stopping the nanomachines (son) from just launching another rocket.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Not to mention everything is still super hosed up so there may not be any humans to infect in a decade or so. If the nanomachines want humanity to die off they just have to wait.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Kibayasu posted:

I already knew about the sequel so the ending being Bad isn't a surprise though now that I've actually seen it did the rocket explode or was that just it launching? The debris is a bit confusing. Either way if the virus didn't work I suppose there's nothing stopping the nanomachines (son) from just launching another rocket.

It was launching: it makes sense that it looks like an explosion though, since rocket launches are rather violent even in ideal circumstances. The Rogue Process also can't launch a new rocket, since both the assembly line and the launch pad were crippled, the virus should still be in the launch system, and there's no one to maintain this place as this point.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Not to mention everything is still super hosed up so there may not be any humans to infect in a decade or so. If the nanomachines want humanity to die off they just have to wait.

The nanomachines probably don't want humanity dead: they wouldn't bother taking in people's memories if that were the case. It's more likely that they're doing exactly what they were supposed to do: turning humanity into something that can survive a poisoned earth. The problem is that it's doing that by depriving everyone of their fundamental natural rights. ALL of them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

The nanomachines probably don't want humanity dead: they wouldn't bother taking in people's memories if that were the case. It's more likely that they're doing exactly what they were supposed to do: turning humanity into something that can survive a poisoned earth. The problem is that it's doing that by depriving everyone of their fundamental natural rights. ALL of them.
I've heard people call that the "paperclip maximizer" problem. A badly made AI is basically the most literal genie ever. Tell it to make as many paperclips as possible and it may just decide to do that by producing a swarm of molecular assemblers to convert the planetary mass into bendy little pieces of wire, because it has no implicit context to understand that you still wanted to have a planet to use them on. Presto, apocalypse by way of office supplies, and the AI will lean back and call it a job well done before disassembling itself, too.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Cardiovorax posted:

I've heard people call that the "paperclip maximizer" problem. A badly made AI is basically the most literal genie ever. Tell it to make as many paperclips as possible and it may just decide to do that by producing a swarm of molecular assemblers to convert the planetary mass into bendy little pieces of wire, because it has no implicit context to understand that you still wanted to have a planet to use them on. Presto, apocalypse by way of office supplies, and the AI will lean back and call it a job well done before disassembling itself, too.

On that note, there's a darkly funny game where you do just that: http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

On that note, there's a darkly funny game where you do just that: http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html
Haha, alright, that's pretty funny.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

thetruegentleman posted:

So uh, is this what the kids these days are calling a 'clicker' game?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Seems like it.

It's worth clicking through though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

It's more like what they'd have called a clicker game 20 years ago. :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Task: Minimize human suffering. Define "suffering" as "pain" and "sorrow". Pain: The stimulation of external nerve endings beyond acceptable maximums. Sorrow: The result of combining certain memories with certain neurotransmitters. Optimal solution: Remove nerves and neurotransmitters from humans. Why are you mad? I did exactly what you asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, basically exactly like that. Superhuman intelligence and superhuman common sense don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Really, if college is any indication, they're often inverse proportional to each other.