Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Warren is mantling Ray Park. It makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I would love a canon explanation for why Warren fights like a champion. I can accept that he just canonically never died but there's no actual reason he should be able to fight as efficiently as he does. :colbert:

He trained under the undefeated of the East, the King of Hearts, MASTER ASIA!

Obviously, the solution to repairing the Earth's biosphere CREO developed is going to turn out to be the Devil Gundam.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

He trained under the undefeated of the East, the King of Hearts, MASTER ASIA!

Obviously, the solution to repairing the Earth's biosphere CREO developed is going to turn out to be the Devil Gundam.

As a fan of Gundam and mecha things in general, please let this be canon.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

as someone who has never played the game imma assume that he was gonna be a security guard or something, so that cerebral implant that got put in had all that combat poo poo he does.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Roobanguy posted:

as someone who has never played the game imma assume that he was gonna be a security guard or something, so that cerebral implant that got put in had all that combat poo poo he does.

We signed up for the job we wanted right at the start!

edit: Who knows, maybe Field Technicians at CREO can do backflips and pole kung fu.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

CJacobs posted:

We signed up for the job we wanted right at the start!

edit: Who knows, maybe Field Technicians at CREO can do backflips and pole kung fu.

obviously creo was thinking ahead about the inevitable zombie/angry drone apocalypse and made sure their field techs were ready for it!

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

Lightning Knight posted:

I would love a canon explanation for why Warren fights like a champion. I can accept that he just canonically never died but there's no actual reason he should be able to fight as efficiently as he does. :colbert:

clearly he learned how to fight from watching carbon cat cartoons

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Since we know nothing about who Warren was before he became Robocop (Robotech? :v:), we might as well assume that he was a soldier, or a security guard or something. Remember, the first time he met Sally he said "I can walk again!", which implies that he wasn't always disabled. For all we know the guy did kung fu or something.

Or maybe he was really into the Iron Maus cartoon we saw on his t-shirt, and CREO's neural links are so good/his fanboy impulses are so strong he's just capable of brute-forcing the moves he saw on TV into actual movements.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CommissarMega posted:

Or maybe he was really into the Iron Maus cartoon we saw on his t-shirt, and CREO's neural links are so good/his fanboy impulses are so strong he's just capable of brute-forcing the moves he saw on TV into actual movements.

Given that he can walk the rig probably takes it's orders from his brain instead of his muscles. So if he can conceive of something the rig will do it.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

How about Warren doesn't actually die, but there's a damage threshold and if he reaches it his spine implant overrides his brain and takes him to the nearest medical center. It's some morbid way of the company making sure its property gets recovered.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I wasn't too impressed with this honestly. As someone with only a passing interests in Souls-like games, Surge failed to really grab my interest. I do remember really liking how they handle the reveal that Warren is in a wheelchair, that was a good moment, but after the surgery scene it just failed to keep my interest and I wound up selling it and looking up how it ended. Eager to see if it gets better.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The compensation is that we get to take out our frustration on our enemies, because something tells me Warren doesn't qualify for a raise yet.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

cjacobs don't pretend that creo ever looked like it was a good company. we're just learning that behind the facade of kindly hipster douchebag don hackett they actually were just your average greedy tech company.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
From the prescriptive of protecting you from the hits you take, the lynx sucks.

From the prescriptive of preventing you from taking hits at all, the lynx is really great, since you can stunlock enemies with its attack speed bonus, and it reduces the stamina you use when you dodge to almost nothing, which turns the game into a bloodborne clone.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

I can't believe you killed this poor gay zombie as he stared at a shirtless man.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Klaus88 posted:

From the prescriptive of protecting you from the hits you take, the lynx sucks.

From the prescriptive of preventing you from taking hits at all, the lynx is really great, since you can stunlock enemies with its attack speed bonus, and it reduces the stamina you use when you dodge to almost nothing, which turns the game into a bloodborne clone.

The Lynx is the ultimate feast or famine armor, because its set bonus is strong but you lose it if you get hit.

The other armor set you can start with, the Rhino, has a really crummy set bonus, ups your stamina costs, lowers your attack speed, and costs more core power to put on. It really is amazing how much better Lynx is, because the worst part is that Rhino doesn’t even appreciably reduce the damage you take.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'll just talk about it because I've finished the recording sessions and I didn't actually ever wear it (though I might mention it in the videos)- the Rhino set adds a straight bonus to the 'Impact' stat when you're using implants that boost your damage. This is important because Impact basically determines how many hits it takes to stumble an enemy. The higher your Impact, the more damage you do to an enemy's stability per hit. How much stability damage they take depends on where you hit them, if the part is armored, etc. You can stumble an enemy about four times in a row before they enter a temporary state where they have infinite stamina.

With the full Rhino set and a couple of damage boosting implants, just about any weapon will stun any enemy with every hit, which is very powerful! It makes for a great supplement to fast weapons like the twin-rigged claws or basic swords because they have very low Impact by default. But it costs a lot of power consumption to wear it, it increases the amount of stamina all your actions use, and you have to waste valuable implant slots in order to make use of its bonus. Unfortunately, it just doesn't match up to the Lynx set at all. The Lynx set bonus really should've been swapped with another gear set we'll see in the next level imo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Perhaps its somewhat deliberately obtuse since its the first boss but I don't think I would have thought of hitting it with its own missiles at all, much less considered that the "easy" method.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Night10194 posted:

Kung fu programming implanted directly into the neural link.

This would seem to make the most sense. Since it'd take a lot of supplementary firmware to make the rig work properly without, you know, breaking the wearer, it's possible Warren's not really using his own knowledge so much as exploiting the programming of his rig.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

This would seem to make the most sense. Since it'd take a lot of supplementary firmware to make the rig work properly without, you know, breaking the wearer, it's possible Warren's not really using his own knowledge so much as exploiting the programming of his rig.

Who cares if you break the wearer? It's not like they're using those arms and legs.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kibayasu posted:

Perhaps its somewhat deliberately obtuse since its the first boss but I don't think I would have thought of hitting it with its own missiles at all, much less considered that the "easy" method.

There's graffiti in the hallway that serves as the boss shortcut that breaks the forth wall and tells you outright that's what you have to do.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I suppose it's possible that Warren is tearing himself to bits in the suit and his awareness of his injuries has been turned off by the rig.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So I'm finally watching the new episode and it's funny that CJacobs brings up the 3D printing device, aka the Gear Assembly. If you haven't played the game, pay close attention when he uses the Gear Assembly, in terms of the actual object, not the menu.

Edit: Also I'd like to point out that the loading screens canonically place the CREO production hub on the Eastern Seaboard. Consider what it means then that it's in a desert, as far as climate change is concerned for the setting.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 27, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah I actually feel like it should be the other way around for PAX. The other bosses have the right orientation of normal/special though.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CJacobs posted:

Yeah I actually feel like it should be the other way around for PAX. The other bosses have the right orientation of normal/special though.

I think the PAX special kill makes sense if you consider it from a new player's perspective. Correctly destroying the armor on the legs, dodging its attacks for a long time, and hitting the right leg when he picks up the other one are very challenging for first time players, as opposed to just standing under him during the missile phase.

Doing it the v2 way is far easier for experienced players, which honestly a lot of them are. I think the only one that it remains more difficult to do the v2 kill versus the v1 kill even when you know what you're doing is the second boss, because it is simply more time consuming to do the v2 method.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 28, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you hadn't explained it I would have assumed that Warren was the Liberator being discussed. After all, he has a malfunctioning RIG, is off the network, and has killed numerous CREO employees.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is eerily similar isn't it! :tinfoil:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Warren very obviously got his spine severed at the height of his career in the future fusion sport of Muay Thai Battlebots before coming to work for CREO.

You can tell CREO is a great company to work for because they named their worker suppression robot PAX, which is all caps Latin for peace. That's how you know they have good intentions.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

paragon1 posted:

You can tell CREO is a great company to work for because they named their worker suppression robot PAX, which is all caps Latin for peace. That's how you know they have good intentions.

At least it isn't named after something from a sci-fi/fantasy novel.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Is this LP going to cover the new area and weapon pack DLC that came out?

EDIT: And the PAX V1/2 is a friggin' workhorse of the single-rigged blades for a fresh run. Only around NG+ and you can continue upgrading does it start to get outshined.

Gideon020 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 28, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Lone Badger posted:

If you hadn't explained it I would have assumed that Warren was the Liberator being discussed. After all, he has a malfunctioning RIG, is off the network, and has killed numerous CREO employees.

This is legitimately what I thought my first run of the game as well, so don't feel bad.

The significance of the Liberator/Ed Nakana side plot is not easy to figure out until you've beaten the game, but it's important foreshadowing.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

anyone who's watched cjacobs's streams of this should know full well what the real best armour in the game is. we won't be seeing it for a while though, probably.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
RE: Enemy variety, I think the same-ish variety of human enemies makes sense when combined with the fact that you have to cut off limbs to wear their armour. Sure, you can knock weapons off robot enemies, but you can't exactly wear the PAX's head as a helmet.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CommissarMega posted:

RE: Enemy variety, I think the same-ish variety of human enemies makes sense when combined with the fact that you have to cut off limbs to wear their armour. Sure, you can knock weapons off robot enemies, but you can't exactly wear the PAX's head as a helmet.

I think the number one problem with enemy variety in this game isn't that they don't look different, but they don't act differently. Most all of the single-rigged enemies act the same, regardless of what tier they are, and same with the twin-rigged guys, and the heavy-duty guys, and the staff guys. The only ones that have a different moveset but use the same kind of weapon as another enemy are a late game enemy that has a heavy-duty weapon, and the DLC enemies.

If each "tier" of enemy type had different moves and varying levels of aggression it wouldn't have mattered as much that they're all basically just dudes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, you can pretty much divide all the human enemies into three or four types and that's pretty much all you get for the majority of the game. I think the game's other systems keep things from getting stale. All the cool implants and weapons you get to play around with, the limb targeting, and the blocking mechanics especially.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Genocyber posted:

Yeah, you can pretty much divide all the human enemies into three or four types and that's pretty much all you get for the majority of the game. I think the game's other systems keep things from getting stale. All the cool implants and weapons you get to play around with, the limb targeting, and the blocking mechanics especially.

I agree, but honestly this is one of those things that I strongly suspect was a function of budgetary or time constraints. The enemies in the DLC all have unique moves and stuff, so clearly they were capable of creating diverse enemy types using the same basic armor/weapon foundations. There's a lot of places in this game where you can kind of see where the money ran out, which is fine, it's an indie game, but it gives me hope for any kind of sequel or follow up should they get more resources/time/backing for it thanks to the success of this game.

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
Having played and beaten this game recently, I can say that it definitely seems like the later game weapon-type enemies pull out moves that the earlier ones either don't or only rarely use. They still obviously have the same moveset in general, though; single-rigged enemies still tend to start out with that cautious slow poke if they don't jump at you, for example.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Regarding this opening level's design, I like how the dilapidation reflects Warren's position. He starts as a broken piece, both as a human without the exo-suit and an employee with the exo-suit. As such, he almost deserves to be left in CREO's junkpile. Also, it just looks nice. The broken machines and the difference in perspective between the player and the looming building in the background create a pleasant and contrasting image.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

paragon1 posted:

More importantly, it's a corporation in a video game that you don't play as and therefore evil by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

More importantly, it's a corporation in a video game that you don't play as and therefore evil by default.

Hey, you don't know. Maybe you get to kill the current CEO and take their place.