Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
alpha section guard 1/alpha section guard 2 is my new OTP.

edit: update on last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Something weird happens in that battle about 15 minutes in, When Chip defeats the first Alpha Section guy, you can hear a menu affirmation sound, and from then on whenever a specific other guy turns on his shield, a second phantom shield appears like five feet in front of Jade whichever direction she's facing :psyduck: It stops appearing once that guard loses control of his suit

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Lovin' how Double H does the exact thing I didn't want him to do.

Episode 14: Michael Phelps

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That shark race was such a letdown.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe you've been stalked by the same glitch for nine goddamn years.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012
It's a bit rushed but I hope this helps

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So how did these corridors with concealing fog look in the original? Just a blanket of textures instead of a big collection of particles?

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Glazius posted:

So how did these corridors with concealing fog look in the original? Just a blanket of textures instead of a big collection of particles?

Kinda like this:

https://youtu.be/F4oPoU61DdY?t=3m40s

Edwardly fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 5, 2018

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

And now we finally move on from the slaughterhouse! Thanks for being here, Double H.

Episode 15: Wild Boar.....Cut Commentary

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I agree on the incidental character dialog, when done well it can really inform the character. It's done particularly well in Horizon: Zero Dawn where Aloy is always muttering to herself in realistic ways, like if sliding down a mountain faster than expected she get a little "So much for being careful!" or "Down I go!" or if hiding from Enemies in grass when they go from Caution back to neutral she has a little "That's right... I'm not even here..."

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
There's a very broken subtitle at ~16:56, and a missing word two lines later in "you wrap up [your] report".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is it just me, or was the entire IRIS interlude... a lot more Frenchglish than usual?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 6, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The fact that Pey'j had to really drill in "READ THE M-DISK JADE." makes me imagine a bunch of testers who got the M-disk and just pocketed it without ever thinking "I should watch this"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chip Cheezum posted:

And now we finally move on from the slaughterhouse! Thanks for being here, Double H.

Dude's looking pretty sinister there.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Is it just me, or was the entire ISIS interlude... a lot more Frenchgilsh than usual?

It's IRIS. Has the Domz propaganda gotten to you too?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Peyj is why you don't like spies pick their own nicknames.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't get the joke of the Michael Phelps room. Is it because of the green bubbling water = weed? Help.

This is great actually.

Let me add one of a more dubious quality to the thread.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EagerSleeper posted:

I don't get the joke of the Michael Phelps room. Is it because of the green bubbling water = weed? Help.

Last time they ran the game that's the room where they were talking about Michael Phelps. That's it, just a bit of association.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, that escape sequence is way more recognizable with years more video game experience. It was a really amazing attempt at that kind of pulse-pounding action in a limited engine, and the suspenseful moment with Double H was great.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Mystery solved, thank you!

Forgot to mention that the action scene was indeed pretty good. I wasn't expecting to be holding my breath a bit over a cartoony French game, but it got me. This game is a gem, I tell ya.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Isaam's first try at game development is... well, at least it's not an asset flip.

Episode 16: Game Development.....Cut Commentary

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

You know, I wonder what the narrative reason behind (spoiled because it's the latest episode) destroying the lighthouse and kidnapping the children? We already have a reason to go to the moon -- rescuing Uncle Pey'j.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Those little round fireflies, Lucioles... Luciole Balls?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

taiyoko posted:

You know, I wonder what the narrative reason behind (spoiled because it's the latest episode) destroying the lighthouse and kidnapping the children? We already have a reason to go to the moon -- rescuing Uncle Pey'j.

Endgame escalation.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

taiyoko posted:

Might be a sign that the Alpha Sections/DomZ know who Jade is. They struck her where she lived.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is it just me, or does the story not have the best pacing? It feels like it's still just beginning and now it's the end game. There doesn't seem to be a lot that happens plot-wise between joining IRIS and going to the moon.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Say what you will but Jade's speech during that last part hosed me RIGHT up when I first played this game when it came out. :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Is it just me, or does the story not have the best pacing? It feels like it's still just beginning and now it's the end game. There doesn't seem to be a lot that happens plot-wise between joining IRIS and going to the moon.

Considering how long the game's been going on with Double H as your second I'd have to imagine we're pretty close to finishing the game but Chip's doing all the side content so that probably means another 6 or so episodes.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I think Chip's journey through this game is very smooth (missing H's aside) which is emphasizing the brevity of the story beats much more than I remember in my play-throughs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

The game feels like it was pretty heavily shortened up from an older concept.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Waffleman_ posted:

I think it's down to the whole planet turning against the Alpha Sections. It just doesn't feel like it should take that little time, we've had like three dungeons.

But on some level, this is one of those games that could probably take 100 hours and still feel too short, because I want to spend a lot of time with these characters.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

The game feels like it was pretty heavily shortened up from an older concept.

The first BGE was originally going to be something akin to what the sequel is. In the game you can point your camera at the sky and identify stars, stars you were originally going to go to at some point. It is very much a smaller game than planned.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
At the very least, it feels like a dungeon is missing between the Flight Stabiliser and the Stellar Engine.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mukaikubo posted:

Say what you will but Jade's speech during that last part hosed me RIGHT up when I first played this game when it came out. :(

Spoilers about latest episode

Yeah, I wasn't so hot on that part. It was super well-delivered and affecting, but why would this be the blow that causes Jade to shut down and give up? Sure, if the kids and Pey'j were dead, then Jade has lost a lot - her home, her family. In that case it would make perfect sense for her to give up, and maybe have to be reminded that the fate of her entire species is hanging in the balance and she has to carry on for their - and her own - sake.

But "We just added your adopted kids to the list of people you need to rescue" should be firing her up more, not crushing her to dust. If Double-H didn't have the line about them still being alive it would feel like they originally killed Pey'j and the kids and changed it to kidnapping later on.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

Spoilers about latest episode

Yeah, I wasn't so hot on that part. It was super well-delivered and affecting, but why would this be the blow that causes Jade to shut down and give up? Sure, if the kids and Pey'j were dead, then Jade has lost a lot - her home, her family. In that case it would make perfect sense for her to give up, and maybe have to be reminded that the fate of her entire species is hanging in the balance and she has to carry on for their - and her own - sake.

But "We just added your adopted kids to the list of people you need to rescue" should be firing her up more, not crushing her to dust. If Double-H didn't have the line about them still being alive it would feel like they originally killed Pey'j and the kids and changed it to kidnapping later on.

Death is not the be all, end all of raising the stakes. Saying "it makes more sense to be that sad if they were dead" as if sadness is a measurable constant is the kind of robot talk that ignores good writing and emotion for cold logic, which honestly, is kinda pointless and petty. There are far more legitimate complaints to make than "this character is feeling too sad at this moment, she should tone it down some"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Death is not the be all, end all of raising the stakes. Saying "it makes more sense to be that sad if they were dead" as if sadness is a measurable constant is the kind of robot talk that ignores good writing and emotion for cold logic, which honestly, is kinda pointless and petty. There are far more legitimate complaints to make than "this character is feeling too sad at this moment, she should tone it down some"

Bit of an overreaction, dude.

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I feel like you're sort of missing the point. The death thing was just speculation. Point is that Jade is on her way to the moon already to save someone who was kidnapped anyway, and presumably all this really changes is putting more people on that list.
Given she seems to be characterized as pretty emotionally unwavering, I would think that an appropriate reaction would be more along the lines of indignation that the Alpha Sections would go so far as to kidnap her foster kids.

Instead, I'm guessing, they just really wanted to have an emotional scene, but the plot flow was a little janky and it didn't turn out as naturally as they were hoping. It might have worked better if she had expressed doubts about her ability to rescue everyone, but the focus on her inability to protect feels more forced given the context.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think I found human uncle Pey'j

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think I found human uncle Pey'j

He's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

That's a pretty decent human Pey'j. He needs to be working on a car and listening to the classic rock radio station, though.

Only one update left after this!

Episode 17: Memories.....Cut Commentary

• Locked thread