Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

...whelp. Who's up for bacon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

I know one setting with FTL travel but no FTL communications: The Lost Fleet series. They have to use courier ships to actually transmit info between systems and it takes minutes of waiting to talk to anyone not nearby.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Wapole Languray posted:

I know one setting with FTL travel but no FTL communications: The Lost Fleet series. They have to use courier ships to actually transmit info between systems and it takes minutes of waiting to talk to anyone not nearby.

BattleTech has something similar, because the only FTL communications are prohibitively expensive. In Warhammer 40K, FTL communications are facilitated by psychics, and can only be done through symbols and feelings.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
The end! Oh... wait. The end???

Episode 18: The End...?.....Cut Commentary

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

while the ending is clearly rushed, in a way I think it benefits the game. They created a good pattern of story beat * boss fight * story beat * boss fight that has no real filler and creates a pretty exhilarating experience.

The reversed controls are amusing, the timing isn't too punishing but it rattles people so much when it happens that it still turns into a difficult fight.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I swear they shoved more plot in the last 10 minutes than we had in the prior 3-4 hours. Not really the greatest idea when you are not guaranteed a sequel (and now it's a prequel which won't answer a lot of the questions).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Huh, I thought I remembered Double-H being a double (triple?) agent with the goal of getting you to the moon. Must've mixed it up with something.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
Boy, I didn't see that ending coming where Jade turns out to be an ancient evil space Jesus. I do have to wonder why they chose to go with that ending over the other possibilities, like the one where she turns out to be a karate vampire lizard, or the one where she turns out to be a Lesbian robot werewolf.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was with this game for about half an episode then I stopped getting it and I never started getting it again. I still don't get it and I guess I never will. It looks pretty mediocre in almost every way.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I've never really seen it myself, though I am cognizant of the fact that it's only about half the game it wanted to be and hey maybe the prequel will be good.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Wapole Languray posted:

Now you know another: Niven and Pournelle's Codominium series, particularly the Mote In God's Eye novel and its sequel. There's instantaneous jumps between systems by ships, but that's all.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

I was with this game for about half an episode then I stopped getting it and I never started getting it again. I still don't get it and I guess I never will. It looks pretty mediocre in almost every way.

Dunno what's not to get. It plays smooth, it looks good, it's got great music and the story moves at a brisk pace and doesn't have any really poorly written or stupid moments. I loved it when it came out and it definitely felt ahead of it's time in a lot of ways, hell the password system alone is better than 90% of modern games.

It's short and simple but it's good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Dunno what's not to get. It plays smooth, it looks good, it's got great music and the story moves at a brisk pace and doesn't have any really poorly written or stupid moments. I loved it when it came out and it definitely felt ahead of it's time in a lot of ways, hell the password system alone is better than 90% of modern games.

It also had open world elements before they became standard, and characters with a certain amount of charm.

Certainly seemed smaller than I expected, though. I mean, I knew there was cut content, but geeze.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The only complaint about it I have is that Peyj's rebirth is pretty weird. So, you're Peyj. You know you died, and you know that even though you never told her about it, Jade managed to tap into the power within her and bring you back. Sweet Jesus, that girl is something else. You're so proud of her, and you're going to get to tell her that. She can't be far. What do you do? You send a message to the IRIS lady, who sends an email to Jade, who is one room over from you. What? Why didn't Peyj send a message directly to Jade? If he didn't know where she was that would be the most logical option, and if he knew then he could have just run over to her. There are a few moments like that in this game: Times where the plot beat that moves the story forward has a strange, unnecessary extra step.

Well, maybe Peyj just has a crippling flair for the dramatic. Other than that bit of oddness, this was quite a good ending. raises a lot of questions, sure, but I don't mind it for some reason. Maybe it's because it seems like those questions do have answers, we just didn't get to hear them.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
for a fifteen year old game it had a lot of elements that seem like they would be cool at the time

though thinking about it, metal gear solid 3 came out one year later and now everything seems a little less impressive

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

the story moves at a brisk pace and doesn't have any really poorly written or stupid moments.

Honestly, I'd say it moves at TOO brisk a pace, which is my main problem with it. The game is over before it feels like it's begun.

Also, the story feels too light, with nothing really happening outside of "The Alpha Sections are working with the DomZ" until it's time to go to the moon.

And it doesn't really do that good a job establishing its world, so it takes a while for that to mean anything.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 25, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Honestly, I'd say it moves at TOO brisk a pace, which is my main problem with it. The game is over before it feels like it's begun.

Also, the story feels too light, with nothing really happening outside of "The Alpha Sections are working with the DomZ" until it's time to go to the moon.

And it doesn't really do that good a job establishing its world, so it takes a while for that to mean anything.
Like once you get to the first dungeon and find out the Alpha Sections are evil, nothing much really happens until close to the end other than Pey'j getting captured.

To me it's clear that the producers really thought they would have no problem getting a sequel made, because the way that story ends it's primarily sequel bait.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I still have no idea what the DomZ are aside from the bare minimum of "evil aliens". Plotwise this all feels like the in medias res prologue of another, much larger game. Also, the combat looks like poo poo, which I guess is why there's so many stealth sections. Except those also look kinda bad, so...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dabir posted:

I still have no idea what the DomZ are aside from the bare minimum of "evil aliens".
Yeah that is a big problem. Plus the main Alpha Sections villain doesn't even really appear until basically the end

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

I still have no idea what the DomZ are aside from the bare minimum of "evil aliens". Plotwise this all feels like the in medias res prologue of another, much larger game. Also, the combat looks like poo poo, which I guess is why there's so many stealth sections. Except those also look kinda bad, so...

Yeah pretty much this. There's a lot of side stuff you can do, but for the most point the game's plot is a pretty straight line right up until the alien Jesus thing at the very end. And I didn't really feel any investment in any of the characters, beyond the main three. At least for me, not ever having played it when it came out first and just watching a play-through, the game itself didn't have too much to hook me. I kept feeling like there was some lore book I was supposed to have read before hand.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And like I said, a lot of this is the game being no more than half of what it originally wanted to be. Ancel just didn't really seem to actually compensate for his technical limitations and just did what he could of his original vision and hoped a sequel would sort it out.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Ysengrin posted:

Yeah pretty much this. There's a lot of side stuff you can do, but for the most point the game's plot is a pretty straight line right up until the alien Jesus thing at the very end. And I didn't really feel any investment in any of the characters, beyond the main three. At least for me, not ever having played it when it came out first and just watching a play-through, the game itself didn't have too much to hook me. I kept feeling like there was some lore book I was supposed to have read before hand.

It seems to me like these criticisms can only be levelled against the game if you haven't played it. Like, you're sure to spend at least a few hours just hanging around the Hillys hub talking to folks, and figuring out what's going on. The world you get to explore is insanely intricate with loads of creatures and people to interact with. I think it's very similar to Windwaker, which was released around the same time. There are many unique characters hanging out and loads of weird creatures you can take photos of. Sure, you can just speed through it all, and then it's over before you know it, but that's not really how anyone actually plays it.

There isn't any lore book or Metal Gear style exposition dump, and thank god for that. The game gives you enough to infer what's going on, and your imagination can do the rest.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

for a fifteen year old game it had a lot of elements that seem like they would be cool at the time

though thinking about it, metal gear solid 3 came out one year later and now everything seems a little less impressive

It's not MGS3, obviously. Seems like an unfair comparison, since few things are. I played this along with Metroid Prime, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Eternal Darkness. Imo, it always had an honorary spot next to those, far above all the other garbage that was released at the time.

And More fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 25, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I'm also willing to admit that my opinion is informed by watching the game being played by someone who knows exactly what they're doing rather than exploring Hillys myself.

The ending still sucks though.

E: Actually, it kinda reminds me of ZOE1, where it's obviously setting up something bigger, but doesn't do a very good job resolving itself.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 25, 2018

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I was pretty much on board with the game until the last few minutes where they just cram a bunch of unnecessary stuff in. It would've been fine if Jade had showed up to the Domz base, rescued Pey'j, then they rescue the kids together, fight the big alien bad guy, escape, base blows up, end.

Instead Jade can resurrect the dead all of a sudden, which is handy because everyone she needs to rescue is now dead, and we won't really answer any questions about why because we have no time. And also Pey'j has an alien in his hand now. Bye!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Also Shauni is her actual name?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Hey Jade, get me a picture of a weird animal"

"Good job, that was a test. Join our zine. Now go get some proof that the Alpha Sections are working with the DomZ."

"Thanks for that evidence. Also for our dude back. Peyj is gone though, so go get him."

"Well, you didn't find Peyj, but you did find some evidence that the Alpha Sections are working with the DomZ."

"Hey, Peyj is on the moon, go get him."

"You're Jesus."

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also Shauni is her actual name?

It's kind of hinted at that she doesn't randomly come up with the name from the start. When Jade first encounters the DomZ at the lighthouse, she has a vision of the DomZ god calling her Shauni. So, when she later decides that she wants to be called Shauni, it's likely because she unconsciously decided that was a good name for her.

At about 6:45:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHbBpUFy7Do&t=405s

edit: Honestly, this game is so paranoid by design, it kind of makes sense that everyone is out to get the protagonist because she's the most important person in the universe.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 25, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Yeah - charm, ambition, and basic storytelling competence count for a lot.

Still a shame that a lot of the dialog is translated directly from French and thus loses a lot of impact.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Xander77 posted:

Still a shame that a lot of the dialog is translated directly from French and thus loses a lot of impact.

Are you sure about this? I believe the game was translated into multiple languages simultaneously with the English one being the one used for lip syncing.

A lot of care has clearly been put into the English version, as well. I distinctly remember Chip and Ironicus commenting on the good localisation during the first LP when Pey'j says: "Just put the thingamajig back in the watchmacallit!"

Episode 6/9:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DUydgAYi3o&t=2026s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5kSxGhlpO0&t=674s

Btw, I've learned a lot of weird and wonderful English phrases while watching your let's plays. Thanks, guys! :)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

And More posted:

Are you sure about this? I believe the game was translated into multiple languages simultaneously with the English one being the one used for lip syncing.

I'm not sure but stuff like the IRIS meeting here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIriF6HFdDA
Or the final discussion with the DomZ priest certainly sound like they weren't originally written in English.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Xander77 posted:

I'm not sure but stuff like the IRIS meeting here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4b0Qjj58ZI&t=870s
Or the final discussion with the DomZ priest certainly sound like they weren't originally written in English.

At: 2:11:35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGGCzzNHtoo&t=7897s

My French isn't particularly good, but this comes off to me as equally clumsy in both versions. They did have to cut a lot of content, and rework large sections of the game, though. So, maybe that's just where the seams are showing.

edit: "The pig has hidden your origins from you." Is a beautiful and hilarious line, though. :allears:

And More fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 25, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sounds a little clunky, and I think you're right that it's in ways that suit French (or at least my clumsy High School French that I haven't used in 15 years, I haven't a clue how much of that conversational French retains), but not egregiously so and no worse than other video game scripts. It's not something I'd ping on if I wasn't looking for it, just a bit over-structured "the cat is on the table"-type speaking particularly when held against Peyj's radio message which sounds much more conversational English.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Were there really any games around this time that had a satisfying ending? It felt like everybody was trying to start franchises and left their sequel bait out until it rotted in the sun.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I thiiink Prince of Persia: Sands of Time wound up being a fairly self-contained story (even if it was the start of a trilogy), but it’s been ages since I touched it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, if anything, the sequels were a bad idea.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm just hoping that the prequel expands on what the DomZ actually want - they seemed to want Shauni for some greater purpose literally telling Keck that she is the only one who can save them - save them from what?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm just hoping that the prequel expands on what the DomZ actually want - they seemed to want Shauni for some greater purpose literally telling Keck that she is the only one who can save them - save them from what?

Well the villain says he’s only kept alive by draining people of their energy, so probably that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Woah woah woah, hold on a second. Everybody come back. Why is this game called Beyond Good and Evil? What does that have to do with anything? There was a pretty clear dichotomy of good vs. evil from the very first part.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ariong posted:

Why is this game called Beyond Good and Evil?

Publishers. It was an outside naming choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Focus Groups

• Locked thread