Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It's week 16, Trump is president, the Patriots are in first place, and Roger Goodell has a new contract.

Nothing matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
When will we be able to refer to the Bucs' kicking woes as "The Curse of Aguayo?"

cause I am ready for that to happen

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

No Butt Stuff posted:

It's week 16, Trump is president, the Patriots are in first place, and Roger Goodell has a new contract.

Nothing matters.

Yikes, good thing nobody said the "news" part of N/V it had to be good news huh?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

When will we be able to refer to the Bucs' kicking woes as "The Curse of Aguayo?"

cause I am ready for that to happen

To be fair to Murray he’s done alright, even after the miss last night he’s 14-17 since coming to the Bucs. If the ref doesn’t gently caress up and burn time for the Bucs, they may get another play to get closer and he makes that kick and if there’s not a closer play, after the ref falls everyone is rushed to get the kick set and ready. If he has more time maybe he makes it. I dont blame him for the loss.

Or if the ref were paying attention and threw a flag on the defender that was clearly holding the receiver down to burn clock before that happened, he gets a better shot at it.

e: it was also a 54 yard field goal, which isn’t exactly a chip shot

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 19, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

No Butt Stuff posted:

Nothing matters.

Insert "We STILL don't know what a catch is!!!211! kvetching in there someplace too.

Then again the alternative was the Steelers at #1 and the NFL glorifying an "alleged" rapist even more on every media platform in TYOOL 2017 so uh yeah.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The catch rule sucks, but there is never going to be a good alternative. Because I guarantee we'd end up with some game winning score where a dude holds the football for a microsecond and has it go flying out of his hands and people will be screaming bloody murder.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I just want to see a boatload of previously incomplete passes suddenly become fumbles. Gimme that chaos ball.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Patriots fans stumping for a rule that literally won a game, secured a division championship AND likely gave them homefield advantage throughout the playoffs -- even tho they benefited from a missed call on the same rule via Brandin Cooks vs the Texans???

Guys, that's so surprising

Nov 6, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Patriots fans stumping for a rule that literally won a game, secured a division championship AND likely gave them homefield advantage throughout the playoffs -- even tho they benefited from a missed call on the same rule via Brandin Cooks vs the Texans???

Guys, that's so surprising

Is your posting anything other than pot calling kettle black? Are you aware of the team you root for? Do you have any self awareness?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The catch rule sucks, but there is never going to be a good alternative. Because I guarantee we'd end up with some game winning score where a dude holds the football for a microsecond and has it go flying out of his hands and people will be screaming bloody murder.

Brian Burke proposed "the ball can't touch the ground when catching the ball" along with "two feet down after catching the ball and you're a runner."

Which I think is at least cleaner then what we have, even if it results in more incompletions overall.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

It's a good ruile when it doesn't apply to the Patriots

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Is your posting anything other than pot calling kettle black? Are you aware of the team you root for? Do you have any self awareness?

Uh, I'm pointing a red arrow at your homerism, son

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Brian Burke proposed "the ball can't touch the ground when catching the ball" along with "two feet down after catching the ball and you're a runner."

Which I think is at least cleaner then what we have, even if it results in more incompletions overall.

Can't touch the ground period?? That would be a disaster.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm pretty sure those two jags practice squad guys could have pooled their $6500/week each to get a 2 br apartment. I mean I'm no economist but it seems plausible.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

changing it to the eye test of "did the receiver have full control of the ball inbounds" would do it for me imo. all this football move crap kills me

like, Jesse James clearly had full control of the ball, and intentionally extended it across the goal line

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah plenty of amazing catches involve the ball touching the ground but the receiver has control.

The old football move standard probably would had led to a steelers TD, but as the rules stand now clearly not a catch. You must complete the process.

Nov 6, 2002

a patagonian cavy posted:

changing it to the eye test of "did the receiver have full control of the ball inbounds" would do it for me imo. all this football move crap kills me

like, Jesse James clearly had full control of the ball, and intentionally extended it across the goal line

I agree it sounds good, but it would make a call that is currently pretty clear cut - if absurd - into a subjective call like PI, which is about the only rule that's even more poorly applied than the catch rule.

The NFL needs to experiment with different catch rules in the pre-season or something, cause I wanna see refs take on "yeah that's a catch".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

a patagonian cavy posted:

"Football move" was the old rule that was replaced by the current "process of the catch" rule.

The problem with the previous standard was it was really ambiguous from time to time to determine a football move then suddenly you had a fumble to deal with.

The current standard isn't the best, but maintaining possession all the way through hitting the ground is probably one of the better ways we have to judge it.

Nov 6, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Uh, I'm pointing a red arrow at your homerism, son

This is the same opinion I've had on the catch rule forever. I don't think there is a great obvious solution.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

i think if a ball is in a guy's hands and then he's in the endzone then that is a touchdown to me

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress it, go the other way. play isn't over until guy with ball goes out of bounds of is down by contact. some wr catches the ball and isn't falling? punch it out while he's standing still. RB jogs in? can still fumble

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean the simple answer to this and the touchback rule is pretty clear - hold onto the drat ball.

Megatron, Dez, etc all would have been catches if people would just hold onto the drat ball.

Nov 6, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean the simple answer to this and the touchback rule is pretty clear - hold onto the drat ball.

Megatron, Dez, etc all would have been catches if people would just hold onto the drat ball.

The Dez one was super dumb because he actually took two steps and lunged for the end zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1khK6is-Bfs

I think just making it easier to establish yourself as a runner (as Dez should have been) would go along way to fixing these problems.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 19, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

As always I am in favor of arguments that promote a Texans win

Thank you D Link

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Do you move the football after it touches your hands?

There. That's a catch. No more football moves or period of time or ground causing incompletions. If you have the ball in your hands and you move it to extend it or tuck it, you've caught it. If someone punches it out while you're tucking it, it's a fumble, because you were moving the ball after it hit your hands and demonstrated you caught it.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

This is the same opinion I've had on the catch rule forever. I don't think there is a great obvious solution.

It's more than a little funny that yours is the loudest defense of a lovely rule and ruling among a significant number of posters who have even been qualifiying their posts with "I hate the Steelers, but that's a touchdown"

I mean, I'm still bemused you had the stones to say that I'm the un-self-aware one in this dumb b.s.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Dez one was super dumb because he actually took two steps and lunged for the end zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1khK6is-Bfs

I think just making it easier to establish yourself as a runner (as Dez should have been) would go along way to fixing these problems.

Dez was going to the ground the whole time during that attempted catch. I'm a cowboys homer through and through, but his incredible athleticism to get turned around and facing the right way doesn't change that he went to the ground during the process of the catch and did not maintain possession throughout.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean maybe it's the lawyer in me, but just because a million talking heads say something doesn't change the black and white rules.

The rules for determining a catch right now lead to a few results that upset people, but generally speaking they do a good job solving a lot of problems inherent to any other rule scheme. I'm not saying the rule is perfect. I'd love it if Dez had caught that pass, but he didn't.

The bottom line is there's no way to transition to a runner as you're falling. If you regain your footing and get upright with possession, you're a runner now. Simply moving in the direction of the endzone as you're falling doesn't change that.

Nov 6, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's more than a little funny that yours is the loudest defense of a lovely rule and ruling among a significant number of posters who have even been qualifiying their posts with "I hate the Steelers, but that's a touchdown"

I mean, I'm still bemused you had the stones to say that I'm the un-self-aware one in this dumb b.s.

You have spent the last 48 hours crowing about "HOMER PATRIOTS FANS", despite being the living embodiment of a Steelers homer.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I mean

he's not wrong

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean maybe it's the lawyer in me, but just because a million talking heads say something doesn't change the black and white rules.

The rules for determining a catch right now lead to a few results that upset people, but generally speaking they do a good job solving a lot of problems inherent to any other rule scheme. I'm not saying the rule is perfect. I'd love it if Dez had caught that pass, but he didn't.

The bottom line is there's no way to transition to a runner as you're falling. If you regain your footing and get upright with possession, you're a runner now. Simply moving in the direction of the endzone as you're falling doesn't change that.

Let's Pharisee obvious football plays to death. It's certainly good for the sport

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

You have spent the last 48 hours crowing about "HOMER PATRIOTS FANS", despite being the living embodiment of a Steelers homer.

I'm just saying the call was bullshit. Im not the one rules lawyering myself through hoops to justify a cheap win when it was exactly that -- a win the Pats don't deserve. It's pretty easy for you to just recognize that and move on, but that's just not the Patriot Way

nah
Mar 16, 2009

i have an idea

what if we just got rid of reviewing the plays

i don't think there would be any more or less upset people or missed calls, and the games would be a lot faster and better to watch

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Let's Pharisee obvious football plays to death. It's certainly good for the sport

make all steelers games unwatchable dreck :twisted:

Nov 6, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I'm just saying the call was bullshit. Im not the one rules lawyering myself through hoops to justify a cheap win when it was exactly that -- a win the Pats don't deserve. It's pretty easy for you to just recognize that and move on, but that's just not the Patriot Way

The call was correct. The rule is bullshit. Most people here agree on this. I'm not justifying anything, we're talking about what changes should be made to the catch rule in the future and I'm skeptical that it will get better. I'm sorry that you are personally offended by this discussion. Maybe take a breather.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

you're loving dumb as hell

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

The call was correct. The rule is bullshit. Most people here agree on this. I'm not justifying anything, we're talking about what changes should be made to the catch rule in the future and I'm skeptical that it will get better. I'm sorry that you are personally offended by this discussion. Maybe take a breather.

I'm not sure how you can be so tone deaf. I've literally been making fun of you FOR 48 HOURS!!!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Re: Jaydon Mickens sleeping in his car for a few weeks as a PS member: He said he was leery of damaging his credit and/or wasting a ton of money if he signed a lease on an apt and then got cut the next day. He knew how volatile being on the Practice Squad can be and signing something abnormal like a one month lease can be appallingly expensive.

Not saying I would not have tried to do something better than sleeping in my car, but I can understand why he didnt immediately go sign a year lease on an apt.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
There are hotels that you can rent out for a week at a time for pretty cheap, sleeping in a car wasn’t his only option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, it's a weird situation because there aren't many apartments that let you go month to month let alone week to week, so it becomes a situation where you want to find a motel 6-esque situation, and that quickly can get pretty expensive.

• Locked thread