Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Some other Packers fans have reminded me that this isn't even the first time Thomas Davis annihilated a Packers receiver. He ended the career of Terrence Murphy in 2005 by crushing him on a kickoff return.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2417145

quote:

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers have released wide receiver Terrence Murphy after he failed to recover from a bruised spinal cord sustained in a game against Carolina last Oct. 3 when he was hit helmet-to-helmet by the Panthers' Thomas Davis on a kickoff return.

Two games were not enough. If the NFL is actually serious about stopping hits like these, they have to be severe with the punishments. Four games first offense, whole season second offense, expulsion from the NFL third offense. That's how you get players to stop. Two games, one game, they'll just not worry about it until it actually does happen, then they'll talk about how they totally didn't mean to hurt someone and they're full of regret.

The NFL is not serious about stopping hits like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/942872318807826432

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/19/mark-cuban-not-interested-in-panthers-as-league-is-in-decline/

quote:

According to Brad Townsend of the Dallas Morning News, Cuban said Monday he’s not interested in the Panthers, or any other NFL team.

“Why would I buy an NFL team if I think the league is in decline?” Cuban said.

Cuban believes the NFL has overextended itself and over saturated its product. He thinks the upcoming move of the Raiders to Las Vegas is a bad idea, and has several other observations about the state of the league as well.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/packers/status/943224437255655427

:rip:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

he was hurt a bunch and aside from his rookie year was just okay

tbh likely a scheme thing more than anything

Correct

The scheme-caller, Ernest Dominic Capers, is staggeringly incompetent, and incredibly talented players perform medicorely in his system and go on to be All-Pro caliber players in other defenses

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also the names are cherry picked but uh that is kind of the point?

So thanks for pointing out the obvious.

ah, I see here you've selected several of the best WRs in the NFL

your stats are now... invalid!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GaussianCopula posted:

N: Seahawks got fined 100k for not following the concussion protocol with Wilson.

V: As if any organization gives a gently caress about 100k fines.

Fines really need to be percentage.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

piss tape israel posted:

N: Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports thinks Case Keenum will command anywhere between $16M-18M per year during free agency next offseason

V: I know Keenum has been playing very well but that seems like a huge gamble

mike glennon got 15 million dollars and the cap keeps on going up uP UP

16-18 honestly seems conservative

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I hope NFL Network shuts down.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2017/12/20/much-concern-alex-guerrerobill-belichick-rift-patriots/

quote:

• Over the last few years, Guerrero's influence has grown inside the Patriots' locker room, as he now treats about 20 Patriots players.
  • As that influence increased, Guerrero became more emboldened in the advice he dispensed, and more adamant that when his instructions conflicted with that of the Patriots' strength, training and medical staffs, the players were to follow his directives. This greatly agitated the Patriots' staff.
  • One example: a Patriots starter was told by Guerrero not to do squats. When the strength staff made that part of the player's normal in-season workout, the player refused to do the exercise. That only added to the tension between the Patriots and Guerrero.
  • In the early stages of the season, Belichick professionally informed Guerrero that the team wanted to keep everyone on the same page for the betterment of the franchise. Guerrero told a different account to many of his clients — one that painted Belichick in a poor light — which further damaged the relationship, perhaps to the point that it can't be repaired.
  • With Brady as his top client, and with a business relationship with the Kraft family, Guerrero was largely allowed to do what he wanted. Consequently, Belichick was helpless when it came to dealing with Guerrero. It became more of an issue when his clientele went from a handful of Patriots players to nearly half of the roster.
  • Guerrero is still allowed to treat Brady in the Patriots' facility in a private room, but his appearance in other parts of the building is an intentional irritant to Belichick. Guerrero has traveled to the team's locations to treat Brady on the quarterback's dime.
  • The situation has absolutely become a source of friction between Brady and Belichick. But unless Brady forces the issue and demands Guerrero's reinstatement, no one believes it will affect the team on the field.
  • But that hasn't stopped some behind the scenes at Gillette from referring to Guerrero as "Yoko Guerrero," in reference to Yoko Ono, the wife of John Lennon who some believe caused the breakup of The Beatles.
  • There was an attempt to bring the three parties — Belichick, Brady and Robert Kraft — together to put the issue to bed prior to the game in Miami, but it didn't happen. It's not known whether another attempt will be made.
  • Two sources said they believe the current arrangement is permanent. Belichick doesn't want to irritate his staff further by giving in on Guerrero. Brady is steadfast in his belief in and support of Guerrero. Kraft is basically trying to remain Switzerland between his Hall of Fame coach, and the franchise player he adores.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

Don't do squats :thunk:

I'm reading that there's a rumor going around in Boston that that specific player is Gronk and Guerrero told him to not do squats to help protect his back

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How far away from Favre's games started record would Brady be if he didnt miss the 08 season

Favre has 297 (playoffs included). If Brady doesn't miss 2008, his streak would have ended at 269 games (238 regular, 31 playoff) when he was suspended for four games in 2016 for Ballghazi.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/GBstreetwise/status/944302553654812672

just a drunk driver, we get these everyday in wisconsin, move along

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/clownejd/status/944315430109368320

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21852646/jeff-fisher-says-left-los-angeles-rams-pretty-good-shape

quote:

"I'm a huge fan of the Ram players," Fisher told The Midday 180 on Friday. "They're basically -- I don't want to say my players, but I had a lot to do with that roster. Left them in pretty good shape. And Sean, as he's proven in this very short period of time, is an outstanding young coach. And he's got the offense rolling, which they needed."

quote:

This year, with McVay guiding him, Goff is a first alternate for the Pro Bowl.

"We knew that was coming," Fisher said. "... That's why we traded up with you guys here [the Titans] to get him, because we knew he had that kind of potential. We felt like both the quarterbacks had a chance to be franchise quarterbacks. We were right. Philly got theirs [with Carson Wentz], and the Rams got theirs."

Earlier this week, Fisher's longtime right-hand man, Dave McGinnis, now a radio color commentator for the Titans, was asked about the resurgent Rams by The Tennessean and said: "First of all, Jeff Fisher and I, we built this roster, you know what I'm saying?"

quote:

Fisher, who inherited a Rams franchise that had lost 65 of 80 games over five seasons, defended his track record on The Midday 180.

"My perspective's different because I went through it, and I know exactly what I went through," he said. "I get a kick out of people who [say], 'Oh, you just tied Dan Reeves for the most losses in the history of the National Football League.' Well I'm a few wins away from being in the top 10. So, where do you want to emphasize? What's your point? Two franchises, five different cities, six different stadiums. Not an easy thing to do.

"Chargers moved from San Diego to Orange County and started 0-4. Relocation is huge. I'm not making excuses, but last year we moved from St. Louis to Oxnard, Oxnard to UC Irvine, UC Irvine to Thousand Oaks. And that's what our offseason was about."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol Josh Rosen is skipping the draft to avoid the Browns

The owners should force Haslam to sell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think even if Jimmy GQ is the better quarterback of the future, you've got to go down with Brady. He's the greatest of all time. It'd be sacrilege to let him go. The dynasty started with Brady, it should end with Brady.

I'm aware I'm a fan of a team that let the HoFer go early in favor of the younger quarterback. The contrast here is Brady isn't bouncing back and forth between retirement and active duty -- in fact he's in the midst of a MVP season. If he was pulling what Favre was pulling then yeah let him go and focus on Jimmy.

• Locked thread