Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah plenty of amazing catches involve the ball touching the ground but the receiver has control.

The old football move standard probably would had led to a steelers TD, but as the rules stand now clearly not a catch. You must complete the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

a patagonian cavy posted:

changing it to the eye test of "did the receiver have full control of the ball inbounds" would do it for me imo. all this football move crap kills me

like, Jesse James clearly had full control of the ball, and intentionally extended it across the goal line

"Football move" was the old rule that was replaced by the current "process of the catch" rule.

The problem with the previous standard was it was really ambiguous from time to time to determine a football move then suddenly you had a fumble to deal with.

The current standard isn't the best, but maintaining possession all the way through hitting the ground is probably one of the better ways we have to judge it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean the simple answer to this and the touchback rule is pretty clear - hold onto the drat ball.

Megatron, Dez, etc all would have been catches if people would just hold onto the drat ball.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The Dez one was super dumb because he actually took two steps and lunged for the end zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1khK6is-Bfs

I think just making it easier to establish yourself as a runner (as Dez should have been) would go along way to fixing these problems.

Dez was going to the ground the whole time during that attempted catch. I'm a cowboys homer through and through, but his incredible athleticism to get turned around and facing the right way doesn't change that he went to the ground during the process of the catch and did not maintain possession throughout.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean maybe it's the lawyer in me, but just because a million talking heads say something doesn't change the black and white rules.

The rules for determining a catch right now lead to a few results that upset people, but generally speaking they do a good job solving a lot of problems inherent to any other rule scheme. I'm not saying the rule is perfect. I'd love it if Dez had caught that pass, but he didn't.

The bottom line is there's no way to transition to a runner as you're falling. If you regain your footing and get upright with possession, you're a runner now. Simply moving in the direction of the endzone as you're falling doesn't change that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Alaois posted:

you're loving dumb as hell

Nah. There needs to be clear cut rules to apply to these situations that can be called on the fly and potentially determined in 90 seconds. The current rule leads to a few bad outcomes, but the outcomes are correct according to the rules.

A lot of other proposed ideas including the old football move standard may result in some of the current bad results going in a way that people want, but at the same time introduce their own problems.

I'm not arguing that the current rule is perfect, but rather is a better rule given the current setup of the game. It is better to have rigid rules than to give room for interpretation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

And yeah i'm probably a moron but still there needs to be as much subjective bias removed as possible to a situation. The process rule does occasional bad outcomes but provides a quickly applicable and clear cut standard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Even with the strict interpretation of the rule, it's still subject to the people ruling on it, and in this instance ( and others), it lead to a game changing outcome with significant consequences. It's not good optics, and the rule has caused more problems than it has solved

You don't understand what subjective means in this context. There isn't a subjective nature to the current rule. If you go to the ground in the process of catching you must maintain possession throughout.

Also you feel that it's only caused problems because you don't notice all the situations where any of the proposed rules or the old rules would have problems.

Like every game there are catches that are clearly ruled as not catches by the standard that go without any fanfare that would become ambiguous and game changing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

nerve posted:

None of these people showing interest in owning the Panthers have nearly enough money, right. Like Thomas obviously doesn't

Puffy is worth almost a billion and could probably get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Matt Stafford fake spiked a TD sneak against the cowboys iirc.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HueNKkKvBAo

• Locked thread