Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

platzapS posted:

The United States doesn't use metric except for soda bottles and drugs.

what is best in life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

platzapS posted:

In the US stores don't include sales tax in the list price so you have to mentally keep track yourself.
how is this legal lol

get yourselves some god drat consumer protection!

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

In the US everybody has to calculate their own taxes and then submit them, even though Internal Revenue could do that for most of us.

(It's because Republicans want people to hate taxes, and tax preparation services don't want to lose business).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

get that OUT of my face posted:

while i firmly believe this is true, i also don't appreciate when foreigners say that. especially brits who have zero room to talk

confirmed

https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/943449962872016897

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

The US still has the death penalty, with at least 20 judicial murders a year.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

platzapS posted:

In the US everybody has to calculate their own taxes and then submit them, even though Internal Revenue could do that for most of us.

(It's because Republicans want people to hate taxes, and tax preparation services don't want to lose business).

lmao I once got an unsolicited £200 cheque from HMRC for tax overpayment on my princely sandwich artist income

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

May 1st? That's Loyalty Day. Our Labor Day is on October 3, and it's balanced out with Boss's Day on October 16.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

lmao I once got an unsolicited £200 cheque from HMRC for tax overpayment on my princely sandwich artist income

they sent me a £580 tax rebate twice once

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

In the US a whole city (Flint, Michigan) was found to be drinking lead-poisoned water. This got a bit of coverage during the Democratic Party primary.

Many US citizens in our territory (colony), Puerto Rico, have been without power since October. This is not considered a pressing issue.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

On the plus side we have birthright citizenship (if you're born here, you're an American baby!) and some US states currently have the most liberal marijuana laws in the world.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Other states still hold people in prison for marijuana-related crimes.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

We've also got canyons so majestic they can only be described as "Grand".

Mostly-black prisoners in Louisiana still pick cotton by hand, overseen by guards on horseback.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Sick people in America have to literally crowd fund their own life-saving operations because the government won't pay to keep them alive.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

In the US, debit card purchases require a 4-digit PIN but with credit card purchases we just trust you.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

platzapS posted:

In the US a whole city (Flint, Michigan) was found to be drinking lead-poisoned water. This got a bit of coverage during the Democratic Party primary.

Many US citizens in our territory (colony), Puerto Rico, have been without power since October. This is not considered a pressing issue.

Lol if you think it's only Flint that drinks lead every day

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it's more like 16 whole cities and several hundred entire towns

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

platzapS posted:

May 1st? That's Loyalty Day. Our Labor Day is on October 3, and it's balanced out with Boss's Day on October 16.

Labor Daybor is in September, my droog.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

platzapS posted:

Other states still hold people in prison for marijuana-related crimes.

the states that have legalized recreational marijuana still hold people in prison for drug activity that would be completely legal if it took place today

they could commute these sentences or pardon them but the slave labor earns the state, the private prisons that house them, and the corporations who exploit them a ton of money

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

platzapS posted:

The United States doesn't use metric except for soda bottles and drugs.

So... The important poo poo?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

we have perfectly legitimate elections, this isn't a failed state, we swear

Vox Nihili posted:

https://t.co/oyCWQrAyfI

Read examples on pages 6 and 11. The mark is equivocal (impossible to tell if it's an attempt to clarify vs scratch out) so the vote on that portion should be voided. Those judges are willfully throwing the election.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

jBrereton posted:

Look at this loving communist

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Are US online banks useful for anything other than seeing your account balance yet? I remember some good lols when I tried finding my Chase account number online and they censored half of it for some reason. Transferring money to other people was like a whole days undertaking.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

usa is a 3rd world country but 1st in my heart

i need a transplant and they banned my gofundme

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.

platzapS posted:

Mostly-black prisoners in Louisiana still pick cotton by hand, overseen by guards on horseback.

and slavery is over, as is racism

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

the bitcoin of weed posted:

america is a land of contrasts

You spelled contracts wrong

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
we just gave complete control over the internet to like four cable companies with regional monopolies

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
ummmmmm EXCUSE ME

but what other country can you find:

- amber waves of grain
- purple mountain majesties
- fruited plains
- a small town girl livin in a lonely world
- a city boy, born and raised in south detroit
- juggalos

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

ScrubLeague posted:

we just gave complete control over the internet to like four cable companies with regional monopolies

it's ok they promised

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

a helpful bear posted:

ummmmmm EXCUSE ME

but what other country can you find:

- amber waves of grain
- purple mountain majesties
- fruited plains
- a small town girl livin in a lonely world
- a city boy, born and raised in south detroit
- juggalos

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh South Detroit is Canada

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://splinternews.com/time-to-make-life-hard-for-the-rich-1821384779

quote:

Violence against people is morally wrong and a bad way to solve problems. But capital is different. One thing that would help to create the political environment conducive to solving the inequality problem would be to make the cost of accumulating all that capital too high to be worth it. In other words, to create a downside to being too rich. I have personally stood in a room full of hedge fund titans and billionaire investors warning one another explicitly that inequality must be addressed lest the U.S. become a place like Latin America, where rich people are forced to live behind walls, surrounded by armed guards, because of the very real risks from the rage of the poor. Rich people in this country do not want to live like that. If they see that they must stop being so greedy in order to enjoy their own freedom, they will stop being so greedy. Those conditions have to be created by people who want justice.

Our situation is absurd. Not since the Gilded Age has it been more clear that a few people have too much. Furthermore, the people with too much are investing in political clout to give themselves more. It’s just wrong. If the government won’t help, we have to help ourselves. Sticking up a billionaire on the street for $100 is not going to do it. But one can imagine other ways that angry Americans might express their dissatisfaction with our current division of wealth: A large-scale online attack against the holdings of the very rich; yachts sunk in harbors; unoccupied vacation homes in the Hamptons mysteriously burned to the ground. Sotheby’s auctions swarmed by vandals, Art Basel attacked by spraypaint-wielding mobs, protests on the doorsteps of right-wing think tanks, venomous words directed at millionaires as they dine in fancy restaurants. People have a right to life and safety, but property does not. A life spent screwing the little people so that you can acquire lots of stuff loses its allure when you know that all that stuff will be smashed to pieces by angry little people. It is not hard to put together a list of those who should be targeted—Forbes publishes it every year. Likewise, public campaign finance records give us a pretty good idea of exactly who is funding the politicians who are perpetuating this economic war on behalf of the rich.

It is nice to imagine a grand, well-targeted computer hack that would neatly transfer billions of dollars out of the accounts of, say, the Walton family and into a charity account that would disburse the money to the poor in untraceable ways. That seems far-fetched. Realistically, what people can do now is to start thinking about ways to make it uncomfortable to be too rich. Socially uncomfortable and otherwise. When the accumulation of great wealth ceases to be a praiseworthy endeavor and instead becomes viewed as a sick, greedy pastime whose only reward is the hatred of your fellow citizens and the inability to live comfortably without fear of your excessive property being destroyed, rich people will rethink their goals. Until then, inequality will keep rising, and everything, for most people, will continue to slowly, slowly get worse.

quote:

THANK YOU. Many years ago, I lived in Johannesburg, South Africa, which had at the time (and continues to maintain) a fearsome reputation for violent crime which put it in a league with places like Kabul or Bogota. I rented a cottage in Parktown, a leafy near-north suburb, which was on the estate of an Afrkaaner doctor. It was a really nice place, big pool, multiple gardeners, maids, everything, but it was also only blocks away from Hillbrow, Berea, Yeoville and some other really blighted places that could’ve been on another continent, the disparity in wealth was so huge. Just a few miles away in Alex there are miles and miles of shanties that wash away in the rain. The entire compound was surrounded by an 8' brick wall topped with razor wire. Every night you could hear gunshots, lots of them, ringing out; apparently Joburg was at the time the go-to location for trauma surgeons who want to get the very best training in treating gunshot victims, and I wouldn’t be surprised.

Anyway, I was attending school at Wits in Braamfontein, which was only a mile and a half away or so, and I also played on rugby union squads for both Wits and an interfac team for Zimbabwean students (it’s a long story). I was trying to save money so I planned on splitting a long-term rental car with my flatmate, who was also a foreign student at Wits. When the white players (and some of the black players as well) on the rugby team learned this, they nearly had a group panic attack, and attempted to a man to convince me that I would absolutely be murdered before the month was out. I was tighthead prop on the team, mind you, a fairly mammoth human, in my prime, and I was also broke as a joke and looked the part, so my response was to laugh it off on the basis that (a) no one would risk it, and more to the point (b) no one would bother, there was nothing of value to take. They weren’t having it, and made such a huge, squawking deal out of the whole thing that I broke down and just bit the bullet and rented an ancient Mazda 323 that week.

I honestly never had any real trouble there, despite doing all kinds of sketchy things and not taking a lot of caution, but again, even lions typically are reluctant to attack a rhino, and most people are more like gazelles. And that mentality of fear permeated everything about South Africans’ lives. Every. Single. Thing. Virtually everyone seemed to have sworn that they’d had to fight off or flee from a home invasion at some point, even some of the foreign students. I had a professor tell me a long story at a party about this Damascene moment she had experienced while cleaning dishes before leaving home expressly because she was worried a burglar would break in and see her messy house and how absurd it was to be in thrall to such anxiety. Everyone seemed to have a female relative or friend who had been violently raped at some point. 95% of the whites (Afrikaaner and British extraction both) whined relentlessly about the state of the country and how desperately they wanted to emigrate from their beautiful country to Australia or the United States. No one stops at stoplights once the sun goes down; it simply doesn’t happen. You’ll even see street signs with a silhouetted dude jumping out of a bush reading “Hijacker Hotspot” and poo poo like that. Every mall parking lot will feature several guys in paramilitary uniforms with semiautomatic rifles patrolling them.

I could go on and on forever. Point is, I have been preaching exactly this story for 15 years now: you cannot pile spectacular wealth (and So. Africa has plenty, something like half of all gold mined in human history came out of the Witwatersrand) alongside horrific poverty and expect smooth sailing. We are absolutely sliding towards that state; maybe we won’t have a 1917 Russian-style revolution, but we can absolutely see the rule of law disintegrate as violent crime explodes due to mass poverty, and at some point a situation such as France in 1789 becomes plausible. And the thing is, I don’t know there was be a lot of warning or time to stop it once it reaches critical mass; a serious event like a large-scale food or gas shortage in the wrong time and place....you just can’t tell. Teeming masses of unemployed and bored young men never end well; if they can’t form armies, they’ll drat sure form gangs. I don’t know what fantasyland the GOP lives in, because if the immense stone castles of the past couldn’t resist peasants with pitchforks and torches, their McMasions stand no chance against civilian groups that can more or less operate as mechanized infantry. People who once viewed the House of Bourbon as unassailable dragged them out into the Paris streets and cut off their heads. People who feared the Romanovs as gods summarily shot the entire family in the basement of a cabin outside Yekaterinburg. And it wasn’t that long ago, in terms of the development of our species. What is about a commercial banker or real estate “mogul” that makes them comparatively special? If they keep grinding the faces of the poor, we’re going to find out, and I have to suspect the answer is going to be “nothing”.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
you can't overthrow america

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

american more like ameriCANT

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

jBrereton posted:

how is this legal lol

americans are so throughly abused by capitalism into mercenary behavior that if it were required to list taxes on the sticker price individual localities would compete to slash sales and local taxes to attract businesses and consumers the way carribean countries with 200 citizens cut corporate taxes to attract corporations looking for tax havens

I mean, they already do this but they would do it more is the point

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
American voters by and large make their political decisions based on what they'll want when they're rich, despite the entire capitalist society existing to prevent new entrants into the ranks of the rich.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

you can only think america is a third world country if youve never actually been to one

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

you can only think america is a third world country if youve never actually been to one

As someone who has lived in a third-world country all their life, the OP is right

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

As someone who has lived in a third-world country all their life, the OP is right

outside of a few especially poor regional outliers like the border, reservations, appalachia and the delta its not comparable to even middle income countries if were actually being serious

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i've lived in rural georgia and suburban and rural texas so i think i'm right in agreeing with op also

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
really we just live in neoliberal hell world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

and ive spent the last two years in cambodia, laos, philippines, and other impoverished countries and frankly pretending we face any of the relative challenges and poverty people in most of the "third world" do is an insult.

if you actually look at our very, very poorest regions their situation is comparable to upper middle income countries like Mexico.

• Locked thread