Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the most brutal police states that have ever existed would be so jealous of the american police lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Jose posted:

the most brutal police states that have ever existed would be so jealous of the american police lol

I'm white and have literally never had issues with the police. again I'm white and too boring to cause trouble. I'm white

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

outside of a few especially poor regional outliers like the border, reservations, appalachia and the delta its not comparable to even middle income countries if were actually being serious

admittedly i haven't ever actually been to a third world country but I'm not sure you've been to large parts of america

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

and ive spent the last two years in cambodia, laos, philippines, and other impoverished countries and frankly pretending we face any of the relative challenges and poverty people in most of the "third world" do is an insult.

if you actually look at our very, very poorest regions their situation is comparable to upper middle income countries like Mexico.

yeah, real third world livin' is something else. once gas generators become common place in everyone's houses due to rolling blackouts/brownouts that's when we're getting there.

Jose posted:

you can't even bribe american police for petty poo poo to leave you alone. like, you could, but then they would still turn you in and probably get to keep the money and get a promotion.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

totally normal for the united nations to go and inspect your insanely rich country due to poverty

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12/united_nations_official_visiti.html

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jose posted:

admittedly i haven't ever actually been to a third world country but I'm not sure you've been to large parts of america

ive been to the border and have family all through the south including appalachia and mississippi delta, those regions are vastly wealthier by basically every standard than an actual impoverished country. ive been all around the US except the midwest which ive somehow entirely avoided, thank god

if anything america's form of police brutality and militarization is very much a first world thing imo, generally third world countries are more worried about police incompetence and having to pay graft

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

and ive spent the last two years in cambodia, laos, philippines, and other impoverished countries and frankly pretending we face any of the relative challenges and poverty people in most of the "third world" do is an insult.

if you actually look at our very, very poorest regions their situation is comparable to upper middle income countries like Mexico.

whats it like being a misery tourist

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tfw an NGO dedicated to drinking water goes back from Africa to the US

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-05-20/ngo-focused-water-poverty-turns-its-attention-africa-back-us

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Cinnamon Bear posted:

whats it like being a misery tourist

like i said ive managed to avoid the midwest

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think we can agree that though the US isn't impoverished enough to be a third world country (I've been to a couple although not the bad bits, even in Bangalore which is classy by Indian standards I saw a man dying from disease/hunger on the street) its almost uniquely stupid and barbaric for a developed country.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
I think the problem is that the term "third world" is antiquated and useless.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
America sucks as a society but our imperialism allows the rest of the Global North to maintain their high living standards exploiting the Global South our trade networks and military protection

In conclusion, Hegemony is a land of contrasts

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Jose posted:

Imagine never leaving the first world and speaking with authority on the third world

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Dreddout posted:

Imagine never leaving the first world and speaking with authority on the third world

He's been to Florida but probably just forgot

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

WaPo agrees

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/...%3D2675%23pti14

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

like i said ive managed to avoid the midwest

you get to see the ultra poor more cause they have to sneak into lobbies and hallways at night to avoid freezing to death

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

i remember posting about this before in cspam and immediately getting dogpiled by people saying lol you dont have a guy in your building whos only job it is to kick out homeless people?? how quaint. no its totally normal why are you acting like thats terrible no stop

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
that means Iraq is like, 6th world :smug:

suck on that Saturn tier countries

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

maskenfreiheit posted:

that means Iraq is like, 6th world :smug:

suck on that Saturn tier countries

is north korea uranus

america is dumb as hell. even in one of th better cities like seattle, i have to commute 2 hours each way to work, plus no bus stops in the entire region have toilets. wouldnt have time to hop out and piss anyway because the next bus doesnt come for an hour

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

someone photoshop chairman shen-ji yang's head onto truman holding a newspaper that says "america is a third world country"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dairy Days posted:

i remember posting about this before in cspam and immediately getting dogpiled by people saying lol you dont have a guy in your building whos only job it is to kick out homeless people?? how quaint. no its totally normal why are you acting like thats terrible no stop

I would love this job bc I would spend the whole time figuring out ways to sneak more homeless folks inside so we could stage a violent uprising against the fuckers who refused to let another human being not die from the elements

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This ad from Incorporated was pretty hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AhTGK1ybkk

Also under Trump this is the first time life expectancy decreased for american men

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/pulpulSkap2/status/946738765007085568

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
America is not a 3rd world country.

But we’re well on our way!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

nopantsjack posted:

I think we can agree that though the US isn't impoverished enough to be a third world country (I've been to a couple although not the bad bits, even in Bangalore which is classy by Indian standards I saw a man dying from disease/hunger on the street) its almost uniquely stupid and barbaric for a developed country.

we’re second world hence Russia and England fighting for our affection

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

outside of a few especially poor regional outliers like the border, reservations, appalachia and the delta its not comparable to even middle income countries if were actually being serious

"outside of all the areas that are like third world countries..."

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Autism Sneaks posted:

someone photoshop chairman shen-ji yang's head onto truman holding a newspaper that says "america is a third world country"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

quadruple cuck posted:

hosed up if true

lmao

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
America is a 3rd world dictatorship cloaked in oligarchy

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
America is poo poo and piss

the wealthy seceded from the union and built a new nation for themselves atop our backs

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I live in Canada, I’ve been to the US, and I’ve been to the third world.

there’s a reason people who talk about how poo poo America is compare it to countries like Sweden and Canada, rather than countries like Columbia or the Philippines

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Amerikkka imo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this exact same video was posted somewhere else claiming it was detroit??

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

anime was right posted:

this exact same video was posted somewhere else claiming it was detroit??

It's actually from Skid Row in downtown LA

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
waiting for the UN to finish its inspection on poverty in America

and then send in the blue helmets in Appalachia thanks in advance UN

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

etalian posted:

It's actually from Skid Row in downtown LA

yeah im just wondering what was goin on is all, it didnt look like detroit when it made the rounds before

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

waiting for the UN to finish its inspection on poverty in America

and then send in the blue helmets in Appalachia thanks in advance UN

hopefully they don't bring in STDs....

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Wheeee posted:

I live in Canada, I’ve been to the US, and I’ve been to the third world.

there’s a reason people who talk about how poo poo America is compare it to countries like Sweden and Canada, rather than countries like Columbia or the Philippines

I've lived for extended periods in countries where most people didn't have access to flush toilets. My home included.

Still had quality universal healthcare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
there’s a hilarious documentary about college students who go and live in central America and almost die of starvation until they learn to put lard into their beans. This said, America is still large and I’d imagine there are some Hill people living in relative squalor. The difference is in America you can drive to a major metropolitan area less than a 100 miles away and feel like poo poo for having so little

• Locked thread