Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

IT BEGINS! I can't believe it has only been a few days and you've already started another LP. By all means, keep them coming. :allears:

I groaned when it opened with Macross Frontier again but was relieved when it was Fafner instead. It's good to see Kagalli being competent once again and I like that she has Shinn and Luna as minions. Too bad about that BGM though. Did they HAVE to pick that, with all the good music to choose from in GSD?

Speaking of Fafner, holy moly the festums do NOT gently caress around. I don't remember the ones from K being that tough, but maybe that was just K being broken. I might have to try this game and play along after all. And I can tell already that, as if the hiraiface spam wasn't bad enough, I'm going to have a hard time telling apart the SD Gundams by their portraits too.

On another note, THE BOOM makes me smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

They pay the licenses. This is why you see a fuckton of Sunrise shows in SRW, since they both belong to Bandai Namco.

Bad news for those expecting more Dunbine. That scene we saw? That's from the final episode. That means we all missed out on having Keen Kiss fight it out with Shot Weapon. Criminal, I tell you.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm glad that Lockon survived season 1 of Gundam 00 and became a federation test pilot.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Enemies are plentiful, but, yes, getting several kill-requiring secrets in a single run can be complicated. That said, there's a way around it: if you go into a mission, game over it, and hit continue, not only will you keep the cash you earned, the kills made will count towards the secret totals. Mind you, those kills won't be reflected in your characters' kill totals, but they'll count for the secrets (work those spreadsheets and start grinding!).

:psyduck: This discourages me from playing along but I'm already super OCD about these games so I guess it wouldn't be too far of a leap from my usual MO.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

We're two stages into the story (three, counting the prologue) and these originals are already great. Also you get Graham as your mentor and he's totally going to fix Jin before he goes crazy, dies or betrays us. I believe in Graham.

This game owns.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I utterly adore MHA but found Heroman just okay when I watched it years ago. Not bad, but not particularly memorable either. YMMV.

I do like Fafner but the show itself is terribly boring and made me almost fall asleep a bunch of times. The sequels and prequels are better, I believe.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If not for the Tobikage-centered prologue, the chapter title ("The wings have appeared") would have made me think it was going to be the Wings of Rean debut. What little I know of Tobikage comes from SRW Impact. As much as I loathe to give that game any credit, it has the best version of the "Tobikage appears!" theme. (Impact Trigger Warning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0gKpCeBmTw

Anyway, now that our protagonists Richard and Jin lost a teammate to the enemy, they can bond together over it and grow as characters in the process! Boy I sure am glad we got the "an ally of the MC dies and/or betrays them" part of the original plot out early! A little cliched that it was the team girl that got killed, but Agnes didn't have much personality yet, so I guess I'll take her getting Gundam'd over a more interesting character.

Also, I cannot read the narration of what this Ruri does or says without replacing her in my mind with the Nadesico Ruri. I'm not sure this is a bad thing yet.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Between some of the character designs and names like Dog Tack, Tobikage could very well pass for a Tomino show. My entire familiarity with the series comes from mneidengard's SRW Impact translation, and I don't remember alien Yazan or Dog Tack being in that game. One thing this game's Tobikage has over Impact's is that it doesn't make you watch a combination scene every time it shows up. Spoiler: Tobikage continues to do what it just did.

We've barely gotten started with the Linebarrels manga version and it is already clearly different from the anime. No wonder manga fans were always upset about the anime. One nice thing from using the manga is that the designs help with this game's case of hiraiface running amok. :v:

Meanwhile, Richard continues to be the protagonist while Arnie continues to act like the sidekick NPC.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I can sort of see the logic behind Daisaku Uma because of all the horse riding Duke does (Uma = Horse). Or, well, the horse riding he does in the ending at least, I'm not sure if he does much riding in the series since I never watched it.

I'd probably remember blue yazan's face and voice at least. :v: It is pretty memorable compared to all the Titans rejects that make up the rest of the Tobikage antagonist list.

Belated, but we're here for you if you ever need help getting through Impact. Remember you can always turn the game off and no one can force you to play it again. Not all SRW fans go through an Impact phase, but there are support groups for those who had the same experience and you're not alone.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm looking forward to the deep lore behind wacky SD Gundam people. And to them interacting in the mess hall with all the other talking heads.

...Why do I get the feeling I'm going to end up watching SD 3 Kingdoms before the end of this LP?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I tried to watch Cross Ange when it first came out (the mechs looked cool and I thought the fanservice couldn't be that bad) I couldn't finish Episode 1. It presents itself as the lowest level of trash with a tone-deaf protagonist who reminds me too much of GSD's unintentional vibes of genetic superiority for comfort. I shook my head, went "Goddamnit Fukuda" and promptly forgot about it.

Imagine my skepticism when people started to call the show not just good but even progressive. I gave it a second chance just last year and... It's neither very good nor very bad, but it's very something. I think the most important distinction to make is that it isn't just trashy fanservice, it crosses the line into outright exploitation. And then it becomes an indictment of everything it appears to be in the first few episodes. The dissonance is uncomfortable, but in the same way that Evangelion is uncomfortable. It's like Shinji staring at a comatose Asuka spliced with Me! Me! Me! on loop.

On one hand, it could be argued that you cannot depict a series about fighting against exploitation without actually depicting such exploitation. More than that, you should depict it in such a way that even people inured to it are revolted. On the other hand, a good number of those scenes are clearly there for titillation and don't really contribute anything. It undoubedtly is trying to have its cake and eat it. It uses sex to sell, while at the same time criticizing men who want to make women into sex objects or pure waifus.

I can't recommend Cross Ange to anyone but I respect Fukuda a little more now than I used to. At times it even feels like he's trying to walk back from some of the poo poo he did in GSD.

I'm not sure I'd call it better than 90% of Gundam, but it probably beats 50% of it or so.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ah yes, of course they're just humans. I half expect this to be plot relevant later. I also half expect it to be never brought up again.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm glad SRW has access to Trailblazer, so that it doesn't have to use the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad second season of 00. Much like Endless Waltz, it is an easy way to include the cast and units in the game with minimum plot.

Every time the Tobikage cast remind us that they came to Earth looking for the legendary Ninjas from Japan I chuckle at how stupid its plot is. More Tobikage stages please. :allears:

It's nice to see Eida already being part of the team! Boo at having wiped Johnny's memories though, I guess it's as good an excuse as any to keep the R-Daigun relevant and make Dancouga feel more like a proper upgrade.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Linebarrels is an entirely different show in this game, sheesh. Like, yeah, the characters and plot beats are similar but they're actually fun here, plus the music and character designs don't suck.

I suspect I'm going to repeat this to myself a whole bunch of times as the LP goes.

By the way, the addition of the relevant nerve crack manga panels was an excellent touch Brunom. It adds a lot. And this time you only had to read the seemingly decent manga instead of sitting through the terrible anime for screenshots like in the last LP. :v:

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm not all that familiar with 00 outside of SRW, what's so bad about the second season? I recall the Gundams generally being pretty rad, at least. Also, I think the big difference between Awakening of the Trailblazer and Endless Waltz is that Endless Waltz had BGMs that weren't boring. I'd include the series itself just for Daybreak's Bell and Hakanaku mo Towa wa Kanashi.

Other people already covered what was up with 00, so I'm just going to say that I will defend the honor of Final Mission Quantum Burst (and most of the 00 OST for that matter) until my dying breath. There's a reason they keep using battle tracks from the series in addition to their various openings and that's because they're drat good.

I wouldn't complain if we got Tozasareta Sekai in place of Envoy From Jupiter though.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Frontier is a show I wouldn't mind if it showed up as units only from now on and we never had to deal with the Vajra or listen to Aimo ever again. I appreciate that they tried to change things up a little by using different music and giving Luca a new game mechanic, I guess.

Seconding that the movies are worth watching though. If nothing else, all the insert song music videos in it are extraordinarily giffable.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

One thing I noticed about Tobikage a few stages ago but didn't want to mention until we saw today's combination: The fusions give us a a fire bird, an aquatic dragon and a lion. I wish that lion had actually been a tiger so we could also get ninja turtle mech to go with them. :v:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm glad that my friend Shot Weapon is alive and adding another anime to his evil overlord advisor and bug robot creator resume.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

For a guy so obsessed with imagination, Riku's plans and lines are pretty cliche. I'm glad the damsels in distress freed themselves and kicked rear end well before the cavalry showed up.

Also every time Arnie shows up I remember he's the actual protagonist and Richard is a retired mentor who got out of the cockpit before his inevitable death on the battlefield. Savvy, that man.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Fixed. And I think only Magami is an Erbsünde out of the SKL pilots? At least he was the only one Himiko pinged as one, which was also the case in the original show.

And, after combing through the JP wikis, I've found that while the SKL OVA never really delved much into this subject, the Mazinkaiser SKL Versus manga did. Long story short, they're not clones but artificial humans made by mad scientist Faust, who planned on using them as troops with which to conquer the world.

But since UX focuses solely on the OVA, we'll see what happens here.

I'd completely forgotten the Erbsünde thing and was looking forward to SKL having more of a plot.

A shame, really. :v:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

There is an English/R'Lyeh translator, but it doesn't parse the text from this game.

I have no idea if it parses the text from Lovecraft's books but I figure it would, as it would be kinda pointless otherwise.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Fafner pulls a lot from Eva, intentionally or otherwise. Just listen to the battle BGM.

Speaking of Fafner, here's a typo:

Sakura posted:

Whatever, I don’t care about that right now. How was the world outside the island? I heard you guys thought in Japan, right?

I believe you meant "fought" here.

And heeey, the protagonist is actually doing protagonist things! Nice! Meanwhile, Saya is... Acting tsundere. Characterization. :effort: And Jin is obviously going to come back in a Riot D or a Promezeus or something similarily named in a later stage. Well, at least the plot is moving.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I don't remember what happens in Heroman after this point so it'll be almost like I'm unspoiled!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tobikage hits a spot for me where I'd rather it didn't have a plot and just gave me the characters and mechs. The entire idea of sending space ninjas to Japan in order to look for ninjas to pilot the ninja robots that they are already piloting is ridiculous and not in a good way. With that said, I have faith in my friends the UX team to make Ylbora's arc better in this game than it was in Impact.

...Okay, so that bar is so low that it might arguably been already passed, but you can't expect too much from honorable rival bullshit arcs.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You weren't kidding about the length of this chapter! Being 3 chapters in one update will do that, though arguably it spares you from doing two more in a way. Positive thinking!

And Mangabarrels continues to be best barrels, but at this point no one is surprised about that.

Looking forward to my Nova friends inconspicuously joining the rest of the talking heads doing non-pilot things while Eida continues to carry the Dancouga flag for them.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Add Evangelion. The final boss is Kaworu.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

We thought Tobikage being a match for Master Therion was an exaggeration, but no, it entirely makes sense. I wonder how it would fare against some of the game's bosses. Would it eventually run out of ammo/energy? Would they win after like twenty attack phases of trying to shoot it down at 5% chance each?

I like that Izuna got to have a moment and the Deceive powered up. Mangabarrels treats its secondary cast well.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Mark Sein is so great. It has two swordlances that are actually cannons so it can shoot you after it stabs you. And they have magic crystal pommels. :allears: Oh yeah and it is kind of a good unit that sort of trivializes the Festum, I guess.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was expecting Hazard's plan to work and for Act 1 to end in tragedy like SRW W's did. I'm not disappointed, that was a nice surprise.

I also wasn't expecting the mysterious stranger yelling "STOP!" in the middle of Hazard's gravedancing speech to be Rom Stoll... And yet I'm still disappointed that it was just Alex dino.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 18, 2018

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

SRW 64 was the one where Daisaku put on an astronaut suit to continue riding Robo's shoulder while in space.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Managing Tobikage is a lot easier in Impact because the stages where he automatically shows up in also have one or more Tobikage units as forced deployments (plus, as was said before, they forcefully combine after a turn or two). Tobikage doesn't hang out for long and you know he's coming in advance, so it's not that bad. UX Tobikage seems much harsher in comparison.

I'll admit Ranka Slayer made me chuckle.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I remember that stage being a thing but not that Tobikage showed up. Weird.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tomino's been vocally against the remilitarization of Japan since way before G-Reco, huh. And a lot less subtle too! I wonder if there's any americans in the OVA for the overworlders to rant against or if the anti-US sentiments are an addition from the game writers specifically to talk with Marvel.

I'm really glad that Shoko gets to be the star of the show for a whole stage, even if her lack of Aura Power is a crime against anime crossovers. This stage must be hella boring if you don't save her. Now all the remaining secret units have a really tough first act to follow.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

There isn't a single plot thread or character arc in the Linebarrels anime that is faithful to the manga, is there?

I like this Miu a lot better. Do you actually get to play with the old Painkiller at all or is that form gone forever in favor of the new one?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Is no one going to vote for the Orphes? Really? Fine, I'll vote Orphes to stand up for the main character of this game and surrender my other vote in protest. You can't see it but I'm making an angry face at the thread right now.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Alacron posted:

The whole bit where UX remembers the dead is surprisingly good

A shame that the GSD crew don't participate, since they're so important to the Fafner crossover and this is such a good showing of them otherwise. I think Shou twisting the lyrics of Azure and talking about Byston Well is my favorite bit.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That's what I get for reading updates when I'm still waking up.

With that fixed, Aura Battler Gundam Destiny in the Azure is my new favorite anime.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Great stage, it's just packed with cool stuff. I particularly like how the secret characters, even Karen, are part of the whole rebelling against fate thing. It's a very nice touch.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Hello, new page? It's Gimmick, and I don't have any good excuses for filler posts, can you come over?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm glad the Black Lodge aren't just a bunch of flunkies that get owned while their boss cackles evilly in the background.

The Odyssea is cool. The walking animation looks a little awkward, but I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the attack animations. Nice BGM as well.

I like Saya and her little arc, but saying that her facsimile of a life only now has gained a soul makes me raise an eyebrow. Like I get that they're saying she now actually wants to live instead of going through the motions, but sheesh that's pretty rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Kouichi, there's a time and a place for "I don't want to pilot anymore" arcs and I think being this late into the plot is neither the time or the place. Cool chapter though!

Also, I still keep doing takebacks every time Ruri does something in the background and realize Nadesico isn't in this game like 30 seconds later.