Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Hit him with the door!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

open the door, get on the floor, read about some dinosaur

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Open says-a-me.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Could you step a bit closer to the cab, Fielding?" you say. "We can't quite hear you."

Fielding smirks and steps a bit closer. When he is close enough, you quickly open the cab door directly into him, slamming his hand. He drops the book and howls in pain.

You pluck the book from the ground and look at the back. Qualtaugh. You don't think you would have guessed that, you muse, whispering the name to Figs, and then holding the book out for Fielding.

He doesn't take it, instead holding his injured hand to his chest. "I think you've broken my hand!" he cries.

"It's 'Qualtaugh'," says Figs, proudly.

"What?"

"It's 'Qualtaugh'. My middle name."

"I don't care about that anymore," Fielding says, face white. "I think it's broken in several places."

"I can run you over to the hospital after I let these folks out," offers the cab driver, and Fielding agrees, climbing into the cab.

"That's a shame," you say, as the driver lets you out in front of the house. "Hope you get well soon."

quote:

At last, you pull up to the front entrance of the house and step out of the cab with Figs.

"I can't believe I'm about to see her," Figs says. "I'm shaking."

"Remember. Stay in character."

Together, you walk through the front hall, and towards the dining room, where you can hear the guests are already taking their seats for dinner.

The dining room's long, rectangular dark walnut table is spread with vibrant autumnal floral centerpieces and silver candelabra with three white candles flickering in each. Swags of powder-blue, rose, and parchment hydrangeas and eucalyptus adorn the crystal chandelier, matching the colors of the charger plates.

Aunt Primrose sits at one head of the table, directing footmen to bring out the first course. Across from her, at the other end of the table, sits Col. Firesnuff, who is delivering a lecture to one of the underfootmen regarding the way boots are made these days.

Haze and Mopsie sit next to one another on the near side of the table as you enter. They are bickering over the salt cellar. Near them sits Inspector Ambrose, examining his silverware and impassively regarding you.

Rory and Frankincense are sitting companionably close to each other on one side of the table, facing you as you come into the dining room. Rory lifts his glass to you as you approach. "Good to see you, Butler," he says.

quote:

"Hallo, Butler," says Aunt Primrose, looking critically at a fork.

Figs stops just behind you, gulping audibly. "Er..." he says.

"Go on, sir," I whisper. "I'm here to help."
I step to the side, revealing the purported professor.
"Look who I found during my walk?" I cry.

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 64%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 40%
Observe: 41%
Persuade: 45%
Skulduggery: 37%
Soothing/Abrasive: 20%/80%

Your Reputation
Renown: 52% (+5%)
Tranquility: 12%
Suspicion: 19%
Invitation: 17%

Rory: 62%
Valentine: 34%
Frankincense: 49%
Aunt Primrose: 15%
Col. Firesnuff: 28%
Haze: 53%
Mopsie: 100%

Ready Monies: 8

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Look what I found.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Look what I found!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Go on, sir," I whisper. "I'm here to help."

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Look what I found!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Parenthesis posted:

Look what I found!

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

You gesture towards Figs, whose eyes are darting around to establish where the exits are.

"It's Professor Hickory!" shouts Aunt Primrose, clapping her hands, and jumping up to take his hands. "I had been under the impression that you had decided to cancel your trip! Welcome, welcome! You are just in time for dinner."

"Yes, I am Professor Hickory," says Figs. "And I am here at your invitation, Mrs. Patterson. Thank you for your hospitality."

Inspector Ambrose clears his throat. "That is a fascinating outfit you have on, Professor. I make it something of a study to determine what a person is like based solely on small details about their appearance."

Figs gulps audibly.

"For example, I can tell that you believed today was supposed to be a sort of Renaissance festival-themed dinner party. Is that so?"

"No, these are my regular clothes." Figs pulls at his ruff again.

"Interesting. I am rarely wrong. So you are a fan of the Renaissance, then. You see yourself as connected to the period, and so you chose to wear this fanciful outfit in order to demonstrate that?"

"Yes, exactly what you said."

"That shows a certain disregard for social norms. I am rather intrigued by your choice."

"That is quite enough," says Aunt Primrose. "Do not play guessing games with my honored guest. Just look at him. You are making him feel self-conscious."

Figs takes a big step backward, and looks back at you.

I nod encouragingly at Figs and whisper a word of encouragement.
"Good luck," I whisper, and then I go stand next to Rory.
I hold out a seat next to Mopsie for Figs to sit down in.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 52%

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Pull out a seat next to Mopsie. Let's succeed in all the Romance in this game we can (I don't think we can Romance Mopsie or Figs even if interested, so we might as well get them together).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I hold out a seat next to Mopsie for Figs to sit down in.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

I think Mopsie can do better, but if that’s whom she wants, sit them together.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wish him good luck, and hopefully we can get on with other things.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
I hold out a seat next to Mopsie for Figs to sit down in. - we might as well go for broke.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Good Luck, fucko. We've already committed fraud and assault on his behalf, Figs can take it from here.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Pull out a seat.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hold out the seat.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"If you would like to take a seat, sir?" you say, holding out the chair next to Mopsie. "You might take this one, which I have chosen at random from the ones available."

"Oh, I suppose that's all right," says Aunt Primrose, disappointed. "I thought you might sit next to me. But sit wherever you like. We are all one big, happy family here."

Figs, as if he cannot believe his luck, sits next to Mopsie.

quote:

"Butler," says Aunt Primrose, "If you don't mind, would you please help serve tonight? I hate to ask it of you, but I need one more well-trained server for such a large party. Thank you ever so."

Mopsie turns from her annoyed conversation with Haze to focus on Figs. She puts down her wineglass a bit harder than necessary.

"Are you quite all right, Mopsie, dear?" Aunt Primrose says. "You seem beside yourself."

Mopsie stands up, and you see she has changed into a flattering black dinner dress. She wears two long knotted strands of pearls, which she fiddles with as she speaks, making an annoying clicking sound. She holds out a cream-colored envelope to Aunt Primrose. "I have here a letter for you." There is a defiant note in her voice, and she looks towards Figs, who is dumbstruck with adoration of her every movement.

"A letter for me?" Aunt Primrose says, taking it. "What do you think, Butler? Is it really proper to read one's correspondence at the dinner table?"

"It is considered somewhat gauche, madam."
"Among close friends and family, it might be permitted in extreme circumstances."
"I would hardly dictate what is proper at your own table, madam."

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 52%

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’m surprised she’s asking us for etiquette advice. Your table, you decide.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

achtungnight posted:

I’m surprised she’s asking us for etiquette advice. Your table, you decide.

Same.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Why the heck are you asking me? Your table, lady.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Thank you, Butler. That is most thoughtful of you. I can't imagine my mother opening her letters at the table. We were required to sit at attention at all times, and if we dared to offer a single word aside from in response to a direct question, we would be rapped on the knuckles with the fish fork. Children now don't know how easy they have it."

"Easy indeed," snorts Mopsie. "I insist that you open it."

"Oh, you insist? says Aunt Primrose, looking for a fish fork.

"Yes," Mopsie says, clicking her pearls. "You'll find inside it an important document. That I wrote, in which I express my deepest thoughts." Click. She beams at Figs, and then at you.

Aunt Primrose opens the letter and removes the pale pink piece of stationery inside. She clears her throat and reads the letter, her voice growing louder and higher-pitched as she reads:

Dear Aunt Primrose,
I have something to declare
You won't like it so be aware
Can you hear my nightly cries
From hearing all your dirty lies?
How can you treat me the way you do?
You grind me underneath your shoe
I'm feeling like a raw cashew!
I know you're hearing nothing new
And so I bid to you adieu.
Sincerely,
Mopsie

quote:

"What is the meaning of this, Mopsie?!" yells Aunt Primrose. "How dare you write such an impertinent poem to me!"

"It's the truth!" says Mopsie. "And I have the courage to show it to you now. You will never separate me from my love!"

"I already have, and will continue to do so," fumes Aunt Primrose, but Mopsie just smiles at Figs, who seems in awe of Mopsie's lyric.

"I am more determined than ever," says Aunt Primrose, "to keep you from that ghastly man. If he should dare to set foot on my property, I will string him up from the rafters. I cannot understand why that man holds such an attraction for you."

Figs looks horrified, and begins chewing anxiously on his beard until you make a subtle motion to cease.

The conversation becomes general for a few moments, but you consider Aunt Primrose's words. If you had to guess, you suspect that she will soon ask the supposed Professor Hickory his professional opinion about Mopsie's love for Figs, to demonstrate to Mopsie that her overwhelming passion is not wholly rational. Figs, of course, will have no idea how to respond, and will likely be flustered by the question, hitting home as it does.

You look again at Aunt Primrose. Yes, the question is definitely coming. What will you do about it?

You could help Figs come up with an answer that would be in character for Professor Hickory, which would help Figs maintain his disguise. Or you could devise an answer that might sway Aunt Primrose's opinion about the possibility of marriage between Figs and Mopsie. Or, you can simply try to maintain the dignity and decorum of dinner, which would probably improve Aunt Primrose's mood.

I come up with an answer that would be in character for Professor Hickory, which is not very optimistic about young love. I jot it on a napkin, and put it in front of Figs.
I must think of an answer that supports young untamed hearts, which should please Mopsie. I shall then jot the answer on a napkin, and put it in front of Figs.
I refrain from assisting, instead serving the table and maintaining decorum.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 56% (+4%)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Keep serving.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Keep serving.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Keep serving.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Try to please Mopsie.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Decorum is important and Mopsie should know better than to have breached it already.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Keep serving - it is now up to you Figs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keep going

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ultrafilter posted:

Keep serving.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

You know that Figs may find himself in a tight spot, but it would be very difficult to provide help without Aunt Primrose noticing. Certainly Inspector Ambrose is watching you steadily, with hands clasped together and both index fingers against his lips. It is rather disquieting.

And so, you help to serve a platter of pomme de terre avec poireaux et romarin and give Aunt Primrose special attention and care, to her delight. Even Col. Firesnuff notes your attentive service, telling Inspector Ambrose quite audibly that, although much of your service was worse than his own staff, there were moments of competence dimly perceivable in you.

Figs nods and smiles, but you can tell it will surely be only a matter of seconds before...

quote:

Aunt Primrose turns to Figs. "Professor, you have written a good deal about human psychology. What do you make of a young woman who had become obsessed with a man that most people see as something of a buffoon? I speak here, of course, of a fellow known colloquially as 'Figs'. you would not know the gentleman. He keeps low company, no doubt. Not like you. At any rate, what is your professional opinion of my niece?"

"Auntie!" screams Mopsie.

"I am merely asking what science has to say on the subject. It is not personal," Aunt Primrose says. "Well, Professor?"

"That is an excellent question," Figs says. "One with a number of considerations that need to be...considered."

"You wrote about this issue at great length in your book Your Maturing Mind, did you not?"

"Of course I did. I wrote about it very much." As Figs babbles, he looks to you for assistance, but you are busy on the other end of the table. Figs takes a long drink of water, and gets a mouthful of wet beard. "You know, the brain is very complex. It's difficult to explain to the layman. Very complicated. All sorts of little folds and cells."

"Gray ones, as I understand," Inspector Ambrose says mildly.

"I think so, yes," Figs says.

"Y-yes," says Aunt Primrose, holding up her lorgnette and peering at Figs. "Hm."

quote:

There is a blessed lull in the conversation as the guests feast on the jambon au jus and pomme de terre avec poireaux et romarin.

Figs seems to be doing well; he converses with Aunt Primrose confidently, and even deals well with some queries from Frankincense and Col. Firesnuff. Mopsie looks at him with adoring eyes and passes him a series of notes under the table.

"You know what the professor would enjoy?" Frankincense says, suddenly, putting down her fork.

Aunt Primrose looks at Frankincense, and then at Frankincense's plate, which has some food that Frankincense brought for herself - a stew of grains, escarole, and mushrooms. Aunt Primrose wrinkles her nose. "What do you have in mind?"

"Perhaps the good professor would like to take a turn through your art gallery before we have our dessert? You do like fine art, don't you, Professor? And this house has such a lovely collection."

"What a fine idea!" says Aunt Primrose.

"Yes!" says Figs. "I would be very interested to see your artwork." Here, Figs turns to you. "I would especially be interested in seeing any new acquisitions." He winks at you several times.

"Wonderful," says Aunt Primrose. "Butler, why don't you accompany us and teach Mopsie something about art? Or anything at all, really."

"I don't know if that's such a good idea, madam," I say to Aunt Primrose. "It may be bad for the digestion if we got up in the middle of the meal."
"A fine suggestion," I say to Aunt Primrose.
"But surely Professor Hickory will be much happier here," I say, making an imploring expression at Mopsie and Rory.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 60% (+4%)
Suspicion: 18% (-1%)

Aunt Primrose: 23% (+8%)
Col. Firesnuff: 35% (+7%)

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Sometimes I feel it's hard to get a grasp on Firesnuff and what he approves of.
Bad for digestion

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"I don't know if that's such a good idea, madam," I say to Aunt Primrose. "It may be bad for the digestion if we got up in the middle of the meal."

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We can tour the art gallery after dinner. Bad for digestion to get up right now.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

JamMasterJim posted:

Sometimes I feel it's hard to get a grasp on Firesnuff and what he approves of.
Bad for digestion

I plan to go into more detail on that front once this run is over. Suffice to say for now, boy howdy, you have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

achtungnight posted:

We can tour the art gallery after dinner. Bad for digestion to get up right now.

• Locked thread