Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A massive breakfast plate. Somehow I picture Rory as a girl who eats an entire truck for a meal. I dunno, it just seems right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A lady’s lady.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I sympathized with him regarding this Aunt Primrose, saying she sounded difficult to please but clearly loves him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CommissarMega posted:

Changing my vote to menace, then!

How dare you insult poor Aunt Primrose?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Columbina Passpartout, the silliest one on the list.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm an emotional wreck. Hold me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I beat people for fun and money.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unpack. He might not appreciate if we mess with all his stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Ah...I understand the importance of Aunt Primrose's visit."

If he can only gain control of his finances upon marriage, perhaps it would be prudent to set him up with a fine lady.

Also I looked it up and the Electric Current Fizz is a real drink from the time period. The basic drink is a Silver Fizz (gin, soda water, lemon juice, and egg white), but you serve up the egg yolk in the half shell with pepper, salt, and vinegar (and in Reginald's case, habanero pepper). You're supposed to shoot the egg yolk and then sip the drink after, but it sounds like Reginald just mixed everything together in one glass.

I would suggest making one myself when I get home to sample, but the only gin I have is a very nice one finished in bourbon barrels so it won't taste exactly right.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

May God help us all, I got the ingredients for Reginald’s Electric Current Fizz.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reginald's Electric Current Fizz

This is the stupidest goddamn idea. If you would like to try it yourself:

* 1.5 ounces of gin (I chose Bombay as a classic London style to be as close to the real Reginald recipe as possible)
* 1 ounce of lemon juice
* 1/2 tbsp of sugar
* 1 raw egg
* 1 dash of salt
* 1 dash of black pepper
* 1 dash of vinegar (I used red wine vinegar as I had nothing else on hand)
* A few drops of habanero hot sauce
* Soda water to fill the glass to the top

Ordinarily only the gin, lemon juice, egg white, and sugar are actually mixed. This creates a pretty plain and unmemorable variant on the gin fizz. The Electric Current Fizz adds the egg yolk, pepper, salt, and vinegar in the half shell to take as a shooter before you sip the drink. As there's no mention of this in the game, it seems that Reginald decided to mix it up in one glass. This is the crucial mistake.

Reginald also puts his own spin on it by adding habanero puree. Along with the added complexity of pureeing chili peppers, I was concerned that the thickness combined with the egg would create something undrinkable (in the literal sense, as it would no longer be a liquid at that point), so I substituted for habanero hot sauce. You're also supposed to shake with ice, but I have no ice maker and it would have taken too long to wait for ice cubes to freeze.

Here's how it looks minus the egg and soda water. The pepper floating on top makes for an unsettling garnish. Also that is a lot of lemon juice in proportion to gin.

My chosen hot sauce, which is somewhat comparable to Tabasco in flavor.

ker-plunk

With the soda water added, you see why the fizz really gets its name: a little egg white creates a big frothy head.

At this point I used a cocktail shaker to mix it up. It didn't seem to like it very much, as the lid kept trying to pop off and spray the fizzy drink back out. Little did I know that my cocktail shaker could taste.

This tastes exactly like vomit, and I mean exactly. The bizarre combination of flavors is bad enough, but the vinegar contributes an acidity that brings to mind the taste in your mouth right after you're done expelling a pint of bile from it. It appears to work as a hangover cure by causing Rory to puke up everything he drank the previous night.

After the first sip, I dumped the rest of the glass in the backyard and brushed my teeth to try and return to some semblance of normalcy.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 28, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Honestly, I feel like interactions like this only enlighten a thread. I care quite a lot about my eating and drinking, so I'd be happy to make other cocktails that come our way as long as I have access to the materials.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pangurban posted:

Agreed wholeheartedly on interactions like this! I can think of a couple more cocktails that get listed, depending on our choices. I'm assuming the pomegranate thing would require going further out of your way? I know I don't exactly keep either champagne or pomegranates laying around.

Yeah, I actually don't have any wine in my house! I'm predominately beer and spirits. I would also need to acquire a cocktail of fruit juices that would taste pleasant together.

I might be able to see if those convenience store single-serve wines include Riesling and champagne...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The pomegranate champagne cocktail is real, but there's a lot of variations on it. Reginald is using a variety of fruit juices and muddled mint, and is mixing champagne and Riesling instead of using a single wine. Looking at the measurements in some real recipes and figuring out what would taste good with pomegranate, here's my suggestion

* 2 ounces of champagne
* 2 ounces of Riesling
* 3 tbsp of pomegranate juice
* 1 tbsp of lime juice
* 1 tbsp of orange juice
* 1 tbsp of pineapple juice
* 1 fresh mint leaf

Muddle the mint at the bottom of the serving glass (do it the right way with a light touch so you don't shred the leaf). Mix the wines and juices together, pour into the serving glass with ice, and drink two.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We threw it out.

Picture these in lavender and tell me with a straight face that you wouldn't have thrown them out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bluff your way to success.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Veal ragout and a pear tart. Go big or go home.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Playful and improvisational. We're not a regular butler, we're a cool butler.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's mine and you can suck it, ma'am.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Get her drunk before she sees our cooking

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ratoslov posted:

We love to break things! Break the tension!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

...a disobedient, willful, and mischievous young woman.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Get some guards, specifically us.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Congratulate the man!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’m gay as hell and in love.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Frankincense and I had a torrid and passionate affair, but I cannot say that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let him finish. I'm not so sure Primrose appreciates butting in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Yes, we were close. Close indeed."

Rory is our friend. We shouldn't lie to him.

Also, I think I'd prefer to steer clear of mechanics discussions and anything spoiler-related for this first run. I'm enjoying going into it blind.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shout at the conductor!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Second class.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shake, shake, shake señora

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"I don't think I'll be kissing her dewy brow, but I'll tell her that you are thinking of her."

We probably shouldn't start hugging and macking on random girls in the name of someone else's crush.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Make it a crowd song!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sweet shop. Humor the poor boy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As bold as we are, I’m not confident in our stealth. Return to Figs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stay neutral

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let's get permission first.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's on reserve.